The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

• PrimalShadeCG
    PrimalShadeCG
    Soul Shriven
    bg22 wrote: »
    They get to the memory leak eventually, they're working on adding a heal to bolt escape in the mean time.

Well i dont see how that helps us that are experiencing this memory leak when we cant even play long enough to get anything done...
    Options
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they would buy me new Ram if I send in my fried ram... seriously I cant believe this happened, and i'm sure its a worse case scenario. But the laptop that was working fine prior to this patch had 0 problems, ever. Only after my 4th try to play the game while troubleshooting did my ram go to ***. If i log in to desktop now it only says 2gb ram usable in dxdiag. I'm almost 100% positive this leak fried one of my sticks.

The servers should have been brought down IMMEDIATELY and held until fix. This really is unacceptable. And if you follow any of my other posts on here I am not one to complain or *** about things very often I am usually arguing against those complaining. This is to much.
    >>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Options
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    It will screw your computer up until you reboot your computer. That is the worst part, it locks your computer up so bad you can't even call up task manager. You have to do a hard reset.

This is obviously bad for system registry and could result in a corrupted disk, lost data, and force a wipe of your entire system under the right scenario. It is a SERIOUS problem that is bloody OBVIOUS withing 30 mins of playing on a reasonable system with 4-8 gigs of RAM.
    Options
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭
    elorei wrote: »

The problem is def the launcher
    Except you are wrong, as been shown on countless other posts, here, reddit, and on the foundry. ESO.exe is leaking memory, launcher running or not. This is not an opinion, it is a fact, just because it is not for *YOU* does not mean it is not.

Have you even tested the memory allocation of the process over time while running just the game, versus running the game and the launcher?

Or are you just spouting off anecdotal crap with no basis other than pure speculation?

Please post timestamped memory allocations from task manager or resource monitor over a 45 minute period for us, then maybe we will listen to you. Because guess what, that is what a ton of us have already done, with the launcher running, without the launcher running, loading the game without the launcher, full screen mode, windowed mode, diff graphics settings, you name it.

Again re-read my post and see what I said. Where did I say that the exe isn't leaking memory? Where did I say any of the anecdotal crap you are spewing?

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on May 24, 2014 4:39PM
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cogo wrote: »
    Brizz wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel that the Zenimax team keep reaffirming how amateur they are as developers / programmers? This kind of huge game impacting problem would be fixed in a heartbeat with any other MMO out there.

You never played another MMO from start have you?

If you had, you would giggle at your own post.

You know what? I don't give a flying F if it's standard industry practice to use the patching introduce memory leaks and generally break stuff. I expect, as an absolute minimum, that updates don't make things worse.

It's nothing to do with it being a new game and everything to do with their Quality Control and testing.

Hell, they knew all this crap was in the update and pushed it out to the euro server any way.
    Im sorry, NA isnt a testing bed for bad patches so EU can have a bug free experience.
    Options
  • Buck
    Buck
    ✭✭✭
    Kaelis33 wrote: »
    It will screw your computer up until you reboot your computer. That is the worst part, it locks your computer up so bad you can't even call up task manager. You have to do a hard reset.

This is obviously bad for system registry and could result in a corrupted disk, lost data, and force a wipe of your entire system under the right scenario. It is a SERIOUS problem that is bloody OBVIOUS withing 30 mins of playing on a reasonable system with 4-8 gigs of RAM.

*sigh* I don't even want to log in now because this is so bad.
    Options
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They get to the memory leak eventually, they're working on adding a heal to bolt escape in the mean time.

Well i dont see how that helps us that are experiencing this memory leak when we cant even play long enough to get anything done...

I'm pretty sure the poster you quoted was making a joke, quite a good one as it happens :D
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭

Where did I say that the exe isn't leaking memory?

The post where you said, and I quote:
    or maybe when you said:
    I can CONFIRM that if you DO NOT use the launcher and run the game from the exe, the memory leak goes away

Moderator Edit: Edited quote from moderated post.
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on May 24, 2014 4:41PM
    Options
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭

Learn to read...

or maybe when you said:
    I can CONFIRM that if you DO NOT use the launcher and run the game from the exe, the memory leak goes away

Hey I can pick single lines from posts and construe them to my liking too. Just because I say the problem is with the launcher (and it is) does not = exe isn't leaking memory. In the same post I even say its leaking, just much much slower than if you launch it with the launcher (and even if you close the launcher).

Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on May 24, 2014 4:39PM
    Options
  • Nephin
    Nephin
    ✭✭
    I managed to play by doing the following, mixing the prevously listed methods in this thread:

- running the game in windowed mode
    - running task manager to see the memory usage of eso.exe
    - starting the game directly with eso.exe
    - vsync on
    - I have 4 GB RAM (3.4 due to Win7 32 bit), so when the total memory usage reaches 3.1, I quit the game, wait till the memory usage drops and log back

I can play 15-20-25 minutes for a session, but most importantly my computer does not freeze and I can run TS and Firefox too.
    Options
  • PrimalShadeCG
    PrimalShadeCG
    Soul Shriven
    Epona222 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the poster you quoted was making a joke, quite a good one as it happens :D

Good point,after re reading i see the joke. I lose my sense of humor when im frustrated...i only wish to play the game without crashing.
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My laptop gets the leak worse than my pc does. After an hour and getting over 3.6 comnit? Really? Laptops got more RAM than pc does.

If the leak fried anyones RAM would imply the load cause voltage change?
    Options
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »

Good point,after re reading i see the joke. I lose my sense of humor when im frustrated...i only wish to play the game without crashing.

Oh good grief, well we've all done it - I'm sure there's not a single one of us who can claim to always be completely calm and collected during an online argument, and I sincerely doubt that you'll be held in any sort of eternal judgement over it :)
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
    Options
  • tigerblood
    tigerblood
    ✭✭
    First I used the CleanMem app. It helped smooth out the sluggishness and hard crashes but ESO would eventually insist on shutting down from leaking memory.

Now I'm trying this and it works!

From gameskinny.com
    http://www.gameskinny.com/qc95m/elder-scrolls-online-a-guide-to-fixing-common-issues-bugs
    ===================================
    Crash After Pressing Play
    I've gotten a few comments about this one. Whenever the user presses the Play button, the game unexpectedly crashes and an error message pops up. Theros_9946 was good enough to post a solution:

Try editing the UserSettings.txt. (The default location for that would be My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online/Live)
    Open UserSettings.txt in Notepad and then locate the string SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" and change "D3D11" to "OpenGL" (You can hit Ctrl + F and paste in SET GraphicsDriver.7 to find the string easier.)
    After you've made that change Save and close Notepad and try launching the game again.
    =====================================

This OPENGL works-for-me. I had a horrible leak with my PC locking down more than once.
    Edited by tigerblood on May 24, 2014 4:32PM
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭

Learn to read...

or maybe when you said:

Hey I can pick single lines from posts and construe them to my liking too. Just because I say the problem is with the launcher (and it is) does not = exe isn't leaking memory. In the same post I even say its leaking you twit, just much much slower than if you launch it with the launcher (and even if you close the launcher).

Again, learn to read

You asked "Where did I say that the exe isn't leaking memory?"

Your exact words.

Maybe *YOU* should learn how to read....your own words.

Just to recap, here is your answer.

The memory leak goes away. How are we supposed to take that, other than at face value. Please, you say I can not read, but I am reading it, right? Does it say something other than "the memory leak goes away if you do not use the launcher"?

Maybe your words mean different things. Maybe the text is being changed by a government conspiracy to post this when really you typed something else?
    Edited by elorei on May 24, 2014 4:38PM
    Options
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Learn to read...

or maybe when you said:

Hey I can pick single lines from posts and construe them to my liking too. Just because I say the problem is with the launcher (and it is) does not = exe isn't leaking memory. In the same post I even say its leaking, just much much slower than if you launch it with the launcher (and even if you close the launcher).

It is not the launcher. I haven't used the launcher forever. I still crash and so do thousands of others.

Just because you didn't catch the flue doesn't mean other people didn't. You bring nothing to this conversation that hasn't been said already tried, tested and failed.

>>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Options
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    8Zi6J

Unfortunately, I missed the cap by a few seconds trying to screen-cap it... It hit 6GB of memory... If you look all the way to the right on the chart thingy, you can see the MASSIVE spike that I just missed capturing on footage. This was just after closing the game for the night.

It doesn't really impact me per-say, as I have a very high-end PC. But for others, this is a SERIOUS issue. If you are experiencing this, you NEED to report this with the in-game bug complaint, ASAP.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
    Options
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭

Learn to read...

or maybe when you said:

Hey I can pick single lines from posts and construe them to my liking too. Just because I say the problem is with the launcher (and it is) does not = exe isn't leaking memory. In the same post I even say its leaking you twit, just much much slower than if you launch it with the launcher (and even if you close the launcher).

Again, learn to read

You asked "Where did I say that the exe isn't leaking memory?"

Your exact words.

Maybe *YOU* should learn how to read....your own words.

Just to recap, here is your answer.

The memory leak goes away. How are we supposed to take that, other than at face value. Please, you say I can not read, but I am reading it, right? Does it say something other than "the memory leak goes away if you do not use the launcher"?

Maybe your words mean different things. Maybe the text is being changed by a government conspiracy to post this when really you typed something else?

Funny you ignore all of this completely to construe things..

You cant actually speak for thousands of people though. Running it through the exe, on my machine, fixed the problem (rather it extended my playtime to about 5 hours rather than 1 hour) Run the game through the launcher and close the launcher. play and watch how fast it leaks mem, THEN navigate to the client folder and launch the exe and watch how slow it leaks.

THEN navigate to the client folder and launch the exe and watch how slow it leaks.
    launch the exe and watch how slow it leaks.
    watch how slow it leaks.

I simplified it for you

Edited by SinisterJoint on May 24, 2014 4:57PM
    Options
  • KingDutracus
    KingDutracus
    ✭✭
    @sinisterjoint
    Nice job deleting the childish part of your post, I was waiting to see it edited with "nana nana boo boo" at the end.
    Options
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too getting memory leak. Would it help if I mentioned that my anti-virus picked up a trojan from ESO after the patch?
    Asira Avalis - Mage
    Options
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buck wrote: »
    *sigh* I don't even want to log in now because this is so bad.

That's totally an option!

While it's unfortunate that I can't play right now, it at least is helping me get around to doing things that I've been putting off so I could play.

Go outside, read a book, clean your house, spend some time with your family or friends (it's a holiday weekend in the US anyway). It'll get fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if we even got some free days for it.
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade

Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What more can they give us other than that they are working on the fix currently?
    huangmao wrote: »
    an update.

Then you'd be complaining on how it'd be the exact same "we're working on it."
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭
    watch how slow it leaks.

Time / Physical memory used by ESO client
    3:20 / 360MB
    3:25 / 602MB
    3:30 / 866MB
    3:35 / 1.18GB
    3:40 / 1.48GB
    3:45 / 1.74GB

Yup, soooo slow. By the way, this is doing NOTHING in game, just sitting on log in screeen, before character select, before I put in my password.
    Options
  • Rykoth
    Rykoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
    Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
    Options
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    8Zi6J

Unfortunately, I missed the cap by a few seconds trying to screen-cap it... It hit 6GB of memory... If you look all the way to the right on the chart thingy, you can see the MASSIVE spike that I just missed capturing on footage. This was just after closing the game for the night.

It doesn't really impact me per-say, as I have a very high-end PC. But for others, this is a SERIOUS issue. If you are experiencing this, you NEED to report this with the in-game bug complaint, ASAP.

I opend a ticket, they said my computer had to be the minimum req. for the game... Like if I took out the memory and changed to a slower CPU just between the patches... =_=...
    Inworld tickets are not getting responses. I'll try later if I can get in there and get it going but it's just to submit the ticket.
    Playing is not possible.
    Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com
    Options
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭
    watch how slow it leaks.

Yup, soooo slow. By the way, this is doing NOTHING in game, just sitting on log in screeen, before character select, before I put in my password.

Soo where is the comparison with it launched with the launcher?

It doesn't change what I said. It IS in fact slower than if you run it with the launcher.
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭
    watch how slow it leaks.

It doesn't change what I said. It IS in fact slower than if you run it with the launcher.

This is without the launcher. I thought that would be rather obvious. Why else would I post it?

The Launcher ALSO leaks, yes, but has no effect on the speed that eso.exe leaks. (and the launcher leaks REALLY slowly for me, anyway, at least in the test I did, I never launch from it, so I only tested it the once).

If you want to spend an hour testing it and prove me wrong, feel free to do some tests of your own.
    Edited by elorei on May 24, 2014 5:20PM
    Options
  • KingDutracus
    KingDutracus
    ✭✭
    watch how slow it leaks.

No one wants a SLOWER memory leak, we want it to NOT leak memory. So, to recap that one sentence, we would like the game to not leak ANY memory, fast or slow, from the launcher or the game. No leaks, at no speed, from no programs. None, zero, nil. No leaks. We want no leaks. We don't want fast leaks. We don't want slow leaks. We want no leaks. None. No leaks. Is that clearer to you? No? I'll try again. We want no leaks. PM me for more information.
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭
    watch how slow it leaks.

No one wants a SLOWER memory leak, we want it to NOT leak memory. So, to recap that one sentence, we would like the game to not leak ANY memory, fast or slow, from the launcher or the game. No leaks, at no speed, from no programs. None, zero, nil. No leaks. We want no leaks. We don't want fast leaks. We don't want slow leaks. We want no leaks. None. No leaks. Is that clearer to you? No? I'll try again. We want no leaks. PM me for more information.

Do you have a brochure?
    Edited by elorei on May 24, 2014 5:21PM
    Options
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty bad and if they can't fix it during next maintenance they should just revert back.
    Options