Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

BARD CLASS/SKILL-LINE AT E3/VIDEO GAMES LIVE? [UPDATE: NOT CONFIRMED]

MalavarTCOne
MalavarTCOne
✭✭✭
I have been attending E3 this week, and not to much surprise but still cool the woman who sang "Dragonborn is Coming" (Look it up on Youtube) confirmed at Video Games Live last night that she just finished recording songs for a Bard Class/Skilline for Elder Scrolls Online! Totally Awesome! Who else is excited?! I find this very exciting bringing more variety into ESO!

Moderator Edit: edited thread title to better reflect statement made by ZOS_JessicaFolsom, as quoted below:
This sounds like a misunderstanding. We are not working on a bard class for ESO, nor do we have plans to do so. Malukah worked with us to write all of the bard songs in ESO, and also performed all of them in-game.
"To steal from a god is most unwise" -Nocturnal
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We do not need more classes. We need more skill lines for the characters we already have.

Bard class is just three more skill lines people will be screaming to nerf.

I would have loved a bard guild we all could learn from.
    Edited by Blackwidow on June 12, 2014 7:48AM
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't said whether it was a class or a skilline, that's why I have the slash. Just know BARD is coming!!!
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn no!
    It will be another "we are underpowered, our DPS not enough, Sorc can do it more easy, buff us!" class
    For the God will, NO!!!!!
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • IceDread
    IceDread
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice if the existing classes worked properly before they added more.. but maybe that's too dificult for them to fix...
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    I believe a class/skilline that does AOE buff to allies and AOE nerfs to enemies (possibly Bard) would be a great addition to allow for bigger dungeons and more group based bosses/raids for veterans and noobs alike.
    Edited by MalavarTCOne on June 12, 2014 7:54AM
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    youtube.com/watch?v=nHW_eEIKZss

Somehow bards always make me think of Cacofonix

EDIT: @MalavarTCOne let's go this way with the link then
    Edited by Syntse on June 12, 2014 7:59AM
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    Okay
    Edited by MalavarTCOne on June 13, 2014 3:20AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't said whether it was a class or a skilline, that's why I have the slash. Just know BARD is coming!!!

I hope it is not a class , but a skill line.

But yeah , i agree , having a "bard" skill line would be awesome.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • plamillusionub17_ESO
    It's almost certainly a skill line, and from the "just finished recording songs for bard" sounds like a flavor/fluff type of skill line.
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    Flavor and Fluff will make ESO more delicious and comfortable to play :)
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be a copy of Become a Bard, a Skyrim addon that let you play instruments, and skill up an added Bard line (it wasn't in the Constellation) by getting bartenders to pay you to perform in taverns (it even came with an option that let you shut the NPC bard up for a little while.) Once your skill line/rep/achievements (they were all tied) were high enough, then you could try to sing for Jarls, who pay more money.

Pure RP, had nothing to do with combat at all. But it sure was fun, the music the mod-maker included was pretty good (including a nice rendition of Canon in D hidden in the songbooks) - and it let you convert and add your own music.

I'd prefer that, over some class that's nothing more than a buff-bot, or something like this (even though it looks really cool):

http://eil.com/images/main/Yngwie+Malmsteen+-+Trilogy+-+LP+RECORD-262262.jpg

• plamillusionub17_ESO
    Flavor and Fluff will make ESO more delicious and comfortable to play :)

Lol :smiley:
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be Guild skill line also

Anyway, I'm waiting for Thief Guild
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt this will be an offensive class. It is most likely just a fun skill line to have like vampire or werewolf.
    "Brilliant! Why is it that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the ones who are most certain of them?"
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭
    This is exciting! Though I do hope it is just a skill line, falling under World/Guild of course.

The implementation of Auras in this game would be very welcoming!
  • Yam_of_the_Center
    Yam_of_the_Center
    ✭✭✭
    NakedSnake wrote: »
    I doubt this will be an offensive class. It is most likely just a fun skill line to have like vampire or werewolf.
    Except I won't want to start them on fire.

Actually, well... who can say.

He will bring life to the dead, hope to the living, and for him the Gate will open.
    The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the finest Elder Scrolls resource around!
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong but how is a Bard remotely Elder Scrolls related?
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »

Skyrim had a Bard's Guild, and a rather short questline to go with it.
  • ganja.mullarwb17_ESO

How many dead skeletons have you seen with a lute nearby?
  • Madval
    Madval
    ✭✭✭
    Damn I Loved my Rift bard... Rocking and singing and all... Buffing everyone like a big mosh pit with my luthe of death !
    Tinlinlinlin dring dring take that buff man, tramalinlin SOLOOOO woui woui starting my wha wha Take that you scum ennemies ! Larsen CRIT over 9000 !!!
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really now? it was a playable class in arena, daggerfall, morrowind, and oblivion.
    It was an actual faction in skyrim and there are bard npcs all over the elder scrolls series, including this game.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes. In the Imperial city in the north, forget the name. But no bard abilities in any Elder Scrolls game that I can recall?
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Seems likely that if there is a bard skill line it will be a bard's guild/bard's college like in Skyrim.
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, might be fun to run around forests Lindsey Stirling style.. but I think it will be just a cosmetic shared skill line instead.
    What would even bard use as a weapon? Lute? VERY effective against swords and magic..
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArRashid wrote: »
    Hmm, might be fun to run around forests Lindsey Stirling style.. but I think it will be just a cosmetic shared skill line instead.
    What would even bard use as a weapon? Lute? VERY effective against swords and magic..

You didn't look at the pic I posted of the guy flamethrowing a dragon with his guitar. ;)

Ah yes. In the Imperial city in the north, forget the name. But no bard abilities in any Elder Scrolls game that I can recall?

Really now? it was a playable class in arena, daggerfall, morrowind, and oblivion.
    It was an actual faction in skyrim and there are bard npcs all over the elder scrolls series, including this game.

^

Anyway, even if it wasn't a class line in the older games, who says it can't be now? Bard's Guild seems to have been new to Skyrim; there's no reason they can't or shouldn't expand on it in ESO. And as I mentioned, there was an awesome Nexxus mod that actually allowed you to act as a bard and get credit and cash for performing in taverns. Now I'm not sure how that would work in a multiplayer setting, unless the devs made sure you only heard your own bard's music, and random passers-by would only hear the NPC bard.

As an aside, the bards do need a wider variety of music. I ran into a place the other day in Reaper's March, where I got invited to a party at the end of the quest. There's a stage there, with two rather awful belly-dancers, and a guy who is playing what looks like (but does not sound like) a bouzouki (if it isn't, it should be). It sure as heck wasn't belly-dancing music, though.

This is bouzouki music, for those who aren't familiar with the word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx5ijyACOxs&list=FLAdGQFoOVI4O5aT6pLzgImg&feature=mh_lolz

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on June 12, 2014 8:34AM
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My view on bards are that they are magical users but their tool is not staff but enchanted musical instruments. Instead of chanting words or so they play few cords or sing that will trigger the magic that will destroy the enemy.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The same thing that everyone else uses? I mean we have a sorceress that can use a big giant 2 handed weapon and a dragon knight or templar in full plate can wield a stick, it's not a stretch for a bard (which would be a support class) to wield other weapons.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might make raids more entertaining with bards playing music as they fight... but oh well, guess that would just make it annoying if not done right

1. bar - any weapon:
    - fighting skills for soloing

2. bar - instrument:
    1-5 could be strings playing different notes, and the actual skills would be a combination of a few notes ended by pushing ultimate button to release the skill

That could make for an interesting gameplay.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You beat me to it...Bards are integral to Elder Scrolls lore. They sing & write about it, for one, and always have.

Edited by Catches_the_Sun on June 12, 2014 8:54AM
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow I almost predicted this. I have been suggesting something EXACTLY like this for a while now.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108327/eso-i-cheated-on-you-and-i-m-sorry/p1

Maybe an entirely cosmetic skill line (bard) that is just good for playing new songs or flashy parlor tricks in taverns (a bards guild with a heavy grind)

I know my suggestions had absolutely nothing to do with it - but I like to inflate my ego.

All this aside I am happy to hear they are thinking of more than just a thieves guild and dark brotherhood guild line. Hoping for necromancy next!
    Edited by Laura on June 12, 2014 9:09AM