The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

BARD CLASS/SKILL-LINE AT E3/VIDEO GAMES LIVE? [UPDATE: NOT CONFIRMED]

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More likely than a class is this being a skill line / guild. There was a bard's college in skyrim, so it is one of many established institutions in the lore that would be easy to implement in the game.

having a skill line focused entirely on group support and buffs would be incredibly beneficial to the game.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »
    Mablung wrote: »
    This game is sorely missing a support class and for those who are screaming murder about adding a bard-type class because they don't like the idea doesn't mean others wouldn't mind having it in game as well as actually affecting the game in a positive way. I for one LOVE playing bards (support class) and HIGHLY welcome the class/skill line. If you do not like the class then don't play it but you can thank us later for making you more tanky, more deadly, and/or more healing...ly or for making the mobs more squishy.

I never understood why they used the catch-phrase 'the holy trinity' of mmo's (tank, healer, dps) when a lot of mmo's have a support class as well. There are more than 3 play styles with support being one of them.

First, this game has no traditional classes as seen in other MMOs so chuck that thought right out of your head.

Second, the bard class is a fictional creation made up by the OP. They have stated that there is no work in progress for the class. So again, toss the thought right out the window.

First, I will not 'toss the thought right out the window' because First I never said it was going to be implemented. I said I'd welcome it.

Second, maybe they blinded you well but this game still has tank, healer, dps so not sure what game you are playing but chunk all your thoughts out of your head and go find some new ones.

Any class can tank, heal or dps. They do not have designated roles for the traditional types...oh nvm. It appears there is going to be something lost in translation.

The only thing lost is you. Just because any class can tank, heal, dps, etc does not mean that the 'play styles' are not in effect. The game does not care if you are a sorc running trials as a tank...you're still a tank.

No reason for you to even quote me Sophia. Gawd some people are just hard up for attention I swear. Leave ppl alone

Who is Sophia?
  • FrauPerchta
    FrauPerchta
    ✭✭✭
    Fix what's already in game then worry about adding something new.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew it was too interesting to be a real thing.
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Fleymark wrote: »
    ...Well, following TES builds from past games there are no bard skills. But there were no classes either and we have them here, so that doesn't mean there couldn't be without too much of a departure from tradition. Or a further one, as it were....

Read your whole post, just gonna be 'that guy' for a moment...again.

TES series of games did not start with Skyrim. Every main numbered title in the series, sans Skyrim, has had pre-made classes the player character could choose in addition to player made custom classes. And Bard happens to have been one of those pre-made classes in Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion.

That said, TES's Bard is inspired by AD&D's Bard class more than the common idea of the singing minstrel; its a rogue variant.

OK, 'that guy' moment done. The discussion can continue even though the OP's rumor has been quashed a bit now.

• MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand wanting more skill lies but you can only use 5 freaking active abilities on one bar, so even if you level a new skill line and have access to all these new cool abilities...there is a slim chance you will even use more than one of those skills.

I would rather have no classes, but that is just a dream and I know it wont happen.

So with that being the case, sure I'm fine with another class. I just hope it brings some sort of utility/CC so that RVR will be more about strategy, timing, and control like Daoc's RVR. Currently the RVR is so incredibly simple. I want some of the complexity that daoc 8v8 (or 8vzerg) had. This game looks like it was made for cyrodil to truly be the endgame, with raiding being more of an option...but cyrodil pvp doesn't feel rewarding or complex. It just seems mindless and simple with people spamming the same crap over and over.
  • phtony06b14_ESO
    phtony06b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather see a Spellsword (1H + Spellhand) weapon line added than a new class.
  • magickats242cub18_ESO
    A sword dancer skill line would be nice, to address the one sword ability that some people like. Provided the stam regen gets sorted out first.
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    They cant fix the classes we already got, adding a new one wont help.
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    I understand wanting more skill lies but you can only use 5 freaking active abilities on one bar

You know, if they ever do want to add more variety they should bring the skill bar line up a couple slots/spaces.
    "To steal from a god is most unwise" -Nocturnal
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand wanting more skill lies but you can only use 5 freaking active abilities on one bar

You know, if they ever do want to add more variety they should bring the skill bar line up a couple slots/spaces.

Agreed, they don't have to go over the top, just a few more spaces would make the game flow much better.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been attending E3 this week, and not to much surprise but still cool the woman who sang "Dragonborn is Coming" (Look it up on Youtube) confirmed at Video Games Live last night that she just finished recording songs for a Bard Class/Skilline for Elder Scrolls Online! Totally Awesome! Who else is excited?! I find this very exciting bringing more variety into ESO!

If this happens or even if/when other classes come out that would be pretty awesome. Additional classes will certainly add to the replay factor when you've pretty much maxed out your main and are awaiting new content. I know I'll be giving them all a try as they are released --- for as much as my gaming time permits.
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on June 14, 2014 10:34AM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Phantorang wrote: »

Good thing they aren't adding one then.
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Well, following TES builds from past games there are no bard skills. But there were no classes either and we have them here, so that doesn't mean there couldn't be without too much of a departure from tradition. Or a further one, as it were....

TES series of games did not start with Skyrim. Every main numbered title in the series, sans Skyrim, has had pre-made classes the player character could choose in addition to player made custom classes. And Bard happens to have been one of those pre-made classes in Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion.

That said, TES's Bard is inspired by AD&D's Bard class more than the common idea of the singing minstrel; its a rogue variant.

OK, 'that guy' moment done. The discussion can continue even though the OP's rumor has been quashed a bit now.

No no, I'm glad you corrected me. Oblivion was my first TES game and I didnt play it for very long. And it was like 7 years ago. I had completely forgotten how it tailored a class for you. I played tons more Skyrim. Been thinking about running thru Oblivion again tho. Both, actually.

Despite the problems with this game it's kind forgotten me itching to go back to the older games on the side. I'd really love to try Morrowind but not sure if it can be gotten or even played still?
    Edited by Fleymark on June 15, 2014 4:50AM
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭

No no, I'm glad you corrected me. Oblivion was my first TES game and I didnt play it for very long. And it was like 7 years ago. I had completely forgotten how it tailored a class for you. I played tons more Skyrim. Been thinking about running thru Oblivion again tho. Both, actually.

Despite the problems with this game it's kind forgotten me itching to go back to the older games on the side. I'd really love to try Morrowind but not sure if it can be gotten or even played still?

I'm pretty sure you can get Morrowind from Steam or a similar online game service. And if you feel the hankering to try Arena or Daggerfall, follow links here and you can download them since they are so old they are public domain or w/e and are free.
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Thanks for the info. I may very well do that.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or you can purchase the Elder Scrolls Anthology, where you'll get all five mainstream TES games, with all DLC, printed maps too. Sadly manuals are only in PDF form on the CDs :-/
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    Or you can purchase the Elder Scrolls Anthology, where you'll get all five mainstream TES games, with all DLC, printed maps too. Sadly manuals are only in PDF form on the CDs :-/

You know, that is a good idea too. I still have my store bought copies of Daggerfall~Skyrim, so the anthology never crossed my mind.

• fambaab16_ESO
    fambaab16_ESO
    ✭✭
    The ultimate of that Skill Line will be "Friday Friday...."
    God it will be awful and good at the same time.
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh very nice. I only played Skyrim and Oblivion on 360 so it might be cool to play the PC versions and try out some mods. Actually, I think I have a PC copy of Oblivion someplace but played console instead.

Amazon for this, you think?
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amazon is probably good, yes. Not sure if Bethesda sell it themselves?
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Phantorang wrote: »

Good thing they aren't adding one then.

Agreed, The Bard's College is a guild in Elder Scrolls. So technically not a class.
    Edited by Pyatra on June 16, 2014 9:26PM
  • Utildai
    Utildai
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a bard class similar to Rift's Bards. Healing support, Crowd control and other team skills would be great. :)

BRING IT!
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, that is a good idea too. I still have my store bought copies of Daggerfall~Skyrim, so the anthology never crossed my mind.

Beware, though. Anthology's version of Arena and Daggerfall are ORIGINAL, before anything was fixed with later download patches or whatever. I tried to do the .ini file trick on my Anthology's Daggerfall - it doesn't work (it's the only way to get godmode, but does not work in the original version. Apparently, it might on the free version, but I've never figured out how to install that.)

If anyone has any tips as to how to get past that first bit in Daggerfall, I`d appreciate it. I tried to rest, Eye of the Beholder style, after the fight with the guy behind the table upstairs, but when I came out of it, Mr heavy armour from the basement was in my face, beating it up.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on June 16, 2014 9:40PM
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    I might have to learn woodworking if they can make instruments.

Didn't you read the response further up in the thread? THERE IS NO PLANS TO INCLUDE A BARD CLASS

Sorry but I dont always read every post in a multipage thread before I comment. No wait, Im not sorry.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even know Malukah did some work for this game. I'm not surprised but its awesome to know!
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If only. Would really be great if we had the same amount of skills as guild wars 2 with our main skills and some support skills. But I don't see that happening because of console limits.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Bard skill tree cool, let me guess ultimate skill cost 1000 just like ww, and you play a lute for 30'secs that roots 3 targets for duration of skill that breaks on damage lol
    Edited by Most_Awesome on June 17, 2014 2:27PM
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This sounds like a misunderstanding. We are not working on a bard class for ESO, nor do we have plans to do so. Malukah worked with us to write all of the bard songs in ESO, and also performed all of them in-game.