Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Area-of-Effect Abilities - Maximum Target Cap Clarification

• RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    So....ZOS does an AMA on reddit, multiple people ask about AoE cap, but its ignored by ZOS..

Just like this thread...

Just like the poll...

I'm baffled, I thought for sure they would answer us this time, they are just so obviously avoiding answering this I don't even know what to think about ZOS anymore....
  • Adwaenyth
    Adwaenyth
    Azmodeus wrote: »
    I have a feeling this is not because they want to limit AOE spells, but they have to. If the server only has to send out 6 packets to 6 players, it greatly reduces the amount of traffic coming out of the server rather than having to send it to 100. This I believe is being done to enhance big pvp battle synchronization.

Worst excuse ever. Traffic is no issue here as is computational power. DAoC had no AOE cap within a 150 vs 150 zerg and all that was lagging was the client not being able to render 300 characters all at once correctly. (It had falloff though, so fartherst targets out take almost no damage).

Besides EVERY client has to be sent the information that someone is using an AOE ability. Besides, EVERY client has to be sent the information that someone is using a single target ability and EVERY client needs to be informed about how much life the target has afterwards - otherwise for example when you are a healer and the health bar of your group mate caught in the AOE would not show a drop and you wouldn't heal(!)

Computational power or traffic argument is the biggest bull**** someone could bring forward to tell "We don't want to lose our whiny majority who is too stupid to cope with unlimited AOE".
    Edited by Adwaenyth on May 2, 2014 11:30AM
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    RaZaddha wrote: »
    So....ZOS does an AMA on reddit, multiple people ask about AoE cap, but its ignored by ZOS..

Just like this thread...

Just like the poll...

I'm baffled, I thought for sure they would answer us this time, they are just so obviously avoiding answering this I don't even know what to think about ZOS anymore....

I don't even know either. As of they don't give a damn.

Looks like its going to be WvW 2.0...

Well, the only good thing I guess is that now we can AP farm even easier. I would have never gotten a legendary if it wasn't for the WvW karma train. 'PvPed' for karma and badges of honor whilst watching shows on a laptop, all I had to do was follow the blue pin around and spam autoattack.
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking into consideration how ultimate gain is designed, having a cap on AoEs actually does make sense. Whether the limit should be six can be debated though.

I used to be against a cap, but having played this game non-stop for the last five months, I think it actually works out rather well with a cap, all things considered.

Ultimate abilities kind of make up for the lack of unlimited AoEs. I dunno, I am more divided on this issue than I used to be.

In any case, if the max number is six people, hands off inhale. That one is an essential and necessary zerg breaker. And also, have certain stantionary ground-based AoEs have a higher cap limit (or unlimited) like elemental wall and volley.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • chosco
    chosco
    Soul Shriven
    My time in this game just if there Aoe cap. I'll go to play GW2
  • cryptoanarchy

Just like this thread...

Just like the poll...

Saw it too. They totally dodged every question about it, yet were able to answer the silly little joke questions. Like, Ask Me Anything, except anything having to do with the AoE cap.
    Edited by cryptoanarchy on May 4, 2014 8:26PM
  • caveman42ub17_ESO
    @caveman42ub17_ESO

Please refer to this Dev Post before you say something else that is not true...

I was clarifying the dev post. It does contain a teensy error. AOE doesn't have a cap. Or if it does, the cap doesn't exist for most dragon knight aoes or destruction staff aoes. Strangely, I have always seen the cap working with burning talons, the one skill everyone is crying about being broken...
  • Diamond_10
    Diamond_10
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimates should not gain Ultimate. That is all.
  • TheWolf
    TheWolf
    I've read everything so far and many people have very valid points and but other people have been pretty ignorant. Personally, I don't care for AOE caps since Nightblades only have 2 aoes with descriptive tooltips (Aspect of Terror hits 2 and Drain Power hits 6 unless you morph it to hit 9) and I shine most when 1v1 or taking out a group's healer so my group can deal with everyone else.

I would also like to know the classes you guys are running that you are so dependant on being able to hit everyone in a zerg with aoes(I'm sure most are DKs since they have the most damaging aoes).

Now think about this: Batswarm is capped at 6 but they still manage to sustain themselves with full health and spam their ultimate. Remove the aoe cap and this vampire can spam bat swarm even with stage 1 costs. I also saw the videos posted about the groups that huddle together to cheat the cap. Now imagine if the cap was removed. This group will still be basically unstoppable because I'm sure they are on ts and have a greater advantage in organization than the pugs.Each of their heals will heal everyone and each of their attacks will hit everyone on top of organized play.

I'm okay with an organized group being able to take out another group but it would make no sense for an organized group to wipe out a zerg (which they do already btw even through the aoe cap excluding the tactic in the video).

I also heard people talking about how huddling together will become the future of eso and I would disagree unless everyone wants to ignore keeps and emperor ship and future cyrodil patches to come (some already announced). I encourage you please to huddle around our keep while we shoot you with siege weapons. When near a keep you will worry about players AND sieges so huddling together to cheat aoe caps (of the payers) is going to get you killed (by the sieges) and vice versa. The point here is tactic is still the most viable option.

As I read through this I couldn't help to notice that what people want is to be either a: 1-man army, A one trick pony, or a drama queen. I'm a hardcore pvp player myself and I, unfortunately, will have to agree with the person that said there's no pleasing the pvp community. Someone that loves pvp like I do, who has played many different games solely focused around pvp, wouldn't make such a big deal out of the fact that there is a cap on aoe skills. REAL Pvp players will work out the kinks and loose ends and make the best out of what they have. They will become better for it. In games I've played even through nerfs and revamps people who were great pvp players remain great pvp players.

The last thing I have to say goes to Zenimax. Don't listen to what these people say. Don't copy WoW, GW2, DAoC or any other game people have brain enough to name. This is ESO so make ESO. I want to play ESO and not a game I've played before. If you really don't know then listen to the voice of the community that counts and if you're still not sure get help. Assure us that there is room for change, assure us that it can get better. I personally believe that good things may come in the future and I won't flip out over every change that you come up with without testing its waters. I do see why people flip out though, it wouldn't hurt to inform us about what's going on.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheWolf wrote: »
    I've read everything so far and many people have very valid points and but other people have been pretty ignorant. Personally, I don't care for AOE caps since Nightblades only have 2 aoes with descriptive tooltips (Aspect of Terror hits 2 and Drain Power hits 6 unless you morph it to hit 9) and I shine most when 1v1 or taking out a group's healer so my group can deal with everyone else.

I would also like to know the classes you guys are running that you are so dependant on being able to hit everyone in a zerg with aoes(I'm sure most are DKs since they have the most damaging aoes).

Now think about this: Batswarm is capped at 6 but they still manage to sustain themselves with full health and spam their ultimate. Remove the aoe cap and this vampire can spam bat swarm even with stage 1 costs. I also saw the videos posted about the groups that huddle together to cheat the cap. Now imagine if the cap was removed. This group will still be basically unstoppable because I'm sure they are on ts and have a greater advantage in organization than the pugs.Each of their heals will heal everyone and each of their attacks will hit everyone on top of organized play.

I'm okay with an organized group being able to take out another group but it would make no sense for an organized group to wipe out a zerg (which they do already btw even through the aoe cap excluding the tactic in the video).

I also heard people talking about how huddling together will become the future of eso and I would disagree unless everyone wants to ignore keeps and emperor ship and future cyrodil patches to come (some already announced). I encourage you please to huddle around our keep while we shoot you with siege weapons. When near a keep you will worry about players AND sieges so huddling together to cheat aoe caps (of the payers) is going to get you killed (by the sieges) and vice versa. The point here is tactic is still the most viable option.

As I read through this I couldn't help to notice that what people want is to be either a: 1-man army, A one trick pony, or a drama queen. I'm a hardcore pvp player myself and I, unfortunately, will have to agree with the person that said there's no pleasing the pvp community. Someone that loves pvp like I do, who has played many different games solely focused around pvp, wouldn't make such a big deal out of the fact that there is a cap on aoe skills. REAL Pvp players will work out the kinks and loose ends and make the best out of what they have. They will become better for it. In games I've played even through nerfs and revamps people who were great pvp players remain great pvp players.

The last thing I have to say goes to Zenimax. Don't listen to what these people say. Don't copy WoW, GW2, DAoC or any other game people have brain enough to name. This is ESO so make ESO. I want to play ESO and not a game I've played before. If you really don't know then listen to the voice of the community that counts and if you're still not sure get help. Assure us that there is room for change, assure us that it can get better. I personally believe that good things may come in the future and I won't flip out over every change that you come up with without testing its waters. I do see why people flip out though, it wouldn't hurt to inform us about what's going on.

A. The only reason people were able to spam Batswarm in the first place was the ultimate cost reduction gear. Being able to hit everyone would not change that. You get rid of gear like that, and you fix a lot of the problems with that ability.

B. Imagine if those caps were removed? They'd be able to heal yes..But you know what else would happen? They would take a crap ton more damage from every AoE. The only reason they're able to heal through the damage right now is its spreading out on multiple people and hitting those people randomly. That's how AOE caps work..For example...Lets say I aoe a group of 6 people, In this game I hit every single person every single time with that AoE, soon as a 7th person shows up, Now someone in that group is not going to be hit by the AoE, and it'll change every single time I cast my AoE....add 12 people now..you went from a 100% chance to be hit.. to now having a 50% chance to be hit by an AoE..Simply by standing next to more people.
  • popatiberiuoneb18_ESO
    You would also have to consider how heals work in this game compared to how aoe cap works.

Many heals will auto-target the lowest hps ally, now there is no aoe or single target skill that i am aware off, that will do the same.

The higher the blob size, the easier it becomes to save someone if they get low on hps, by simply clicking a button! Heck..you could probably be invincible with a multiboxing 1 button spamming setup if you manage to log enough accounts at the same time.

Having autotargeted heal was a very bad idea in the first place and this aoe nerf will only make it worse...if they do not remove the aoe caps you can say goodbye to GvG fights, it will be more frustrating then any issue you've ever experienced with ESO...and no...having siege engines that hit all targets is not an excuse (and very easy to avoid even with the huge lagspikes us EU players experience)
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Just like this thread...

Just like the poll...

There are a few reasons I unsubed. ZOS ingorning the AoE cap question in multiple forums, is to much a coincidence for me to believe it was not done on purpose just to keep people from not buying the game.. Also knowing the NB a passives are horribly bugged and broken and yet here we are at the coming of 1.1 and hardly any of them are getting fixed.

When they fix the NB I will be back. But I am not paying for month after month for a class that is as broken as the NB is.

Goodbye

• frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    chosco wrote: »
    My time in this game just if there Aoe cap. I'll go to play GW2

Goodbye

• Nathan
    Nathan
    Are you sure DaoC has no AoE cap? I played DaoC for years as a Thane and just remember my lightning hammers (AoE spell) never hit more than 3 enemies...

I stop playing it several years ago so I don't remember all AoE spells, but i'm sure with that one I listed...
  • popatiberiuoneb18_ESO
    Nathan wrote: »
    Are you sure DaoC has no AoE cap? I played DaoC for years as a Thane and just remember my lightning hammers (AoE spell) never hit more than 3 enemies...

I stop playing it several years ago so I don't remember all AoE spells, but i'm sure with that one I listed...

Didnt play a thane so cant say for sure about the lightning hammer but 100% moast of the the aoe's i had on multiple toons (cabby, sorc, reaver, etc.) did not have caps.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    To be a game it must have rules. Without rules it is no game. Deal with it.
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Bryan627842nub18_ESO
    I'll pose a question for you, and the ZoS developer team.

Why do you have AoE caps in place at all?

The real question is, why are people talking about AoE in a game that only have E6's? (effects 6).
    I mean, my standard has a red outline of the range it can deal damage to 6 random individuals based on their walking pattern through my standard whilest in their zerg which ends up dealing 2% damage to 40 different people. the most useless piece of *** I've ever spent skill points on btw.
  • Archmage
    Archmage
    This is absurd. Abilities that have a cap, regardless of targeting mechanism are not AoE's, but simply n-target abilities, with a radius limiting targeting. True AoE's have no cap, so long as the targets are within the targeting radius.

The target cap needs to be removed, or the players deserve to be compensated.
    1. Ability/Spell descriptions should be rewritten, clearly stating their lame limitations.
    2. Everyone should be granted a free re-spec.
    3. Abilities and Spells with this limitation should have the (WS) suffix with a mouse-over that clarifies: Weak Sauce!

The Archmage has spoken.
  • Borondir
    Borondir
    AE caps make big groups nearly immun to damage. Groups of 16+ ppl move close together and you have NO way to stop them with a smaller group. With the current target system you haven't the option to single nuke a target too.

You say you want to encourage smaller groups but all you do is kicking smaller groups in their ass. You can only stop a zerg with a zerg. Instead of learning from daoc you do the same mistakes which gw2 already did.
  • dcbdown
    dcbdown
    Soul Shriven
    Obviously from the community reaction caps on spells is pretty much a no-go if the game is to progress in a positive direction there should be stipulations on caps. Such as unlimited targets on point blank aoe and have cap limits on ranged aoe. This would allow a variety in strategy since the aoe'r has to put themselves in harms way. As for melee and other specific abilities that had caps they should be looked at and adjusted. But overall there are too many useless abilities as is or if not useless they are sub par enough to not make it on my spell bar.
  • e.gamemarkb14_ESO
    e.gamemarkb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    GW 2 created issues that resulted in "balled up" zergs because their AOE limitations included everything, including siege weapons. Zergs would pile up against walls this way and be able to heal through all siege weapon damage, this is not the case in ESO.

Dragon Knights will have to get use to the limitations all the other classes have had with their ultimates / class skill AOE limits once 1.1 goes live. Many gained large AP gains because of the unintended unlimited AOE their standards were doing (which is not their fault it went on for so long).

Same went with the stacking bat swarm and healing component (which has been fixed now). While ZOS may have a bit of balancing to work on still, it is moving in the right direction.

Siege weapons being used in the field have always been employed since launch, as they are easy and quick to deploy and can be very effective in dealing with large groups. (1-2 siege weapons using the disease to cut healing, with some fire siege for max damage)

Having unlimited AOE on player class skills / weapon skills does not make sense, as unlimited AOE on any of these does not = skill.

Small groups should never be able to wade into a large group and let loose unlimited AOE skills, that was never the intent. In order to be effective with small scale teams, they generally will take out enemy keep resources (farm, mines, mill), and then set up for flanks or peeling off smaller groups of reinforcements.

Sometimes small groups will consist of higher Vet ranked players who can take out large groups of lower ranked players at times, depending on how well organized they are.

Will wait for 1.1 and see where things take us from there.

• kellemdros
    As others said un this tópic, less damage farther away from the tatget.
    BTW, an example, small group, in a *** bottle neck, a zerg coming. Multiple aoe on them. The zerg continues moving without nearly a dead and the small group extinct due to aoe cap. Other ways the zerg need to focus target flank. Etc. Aoe cap = no tactics. Siegue weapons are too easy avoidable

Sorry for my typing (on phone) and my english xd.
    Just cancelled the sub too...
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marovec wrote: »
    If you are relying on a removal of AoE cap to pvp...wow...

Way to try and work skill and coordination into the game. Nah, lets just run in and spam AoE....much better...

Freaking PvP whiners...never happy...

I keep seeing this skill and coordination argument by some of the yes to aoe caps people

please tell me what skill and coordination you're going to use with say.. 8 people to wipe out a zerg the size of say, 40 people

By all means, explain how you would accomplish this task without AoE

why would 8 people be able to wipe out 40 anyway?,, blame the vet 10's thinking uber tactics is running into mobs of lower lvl players and spamming bat swarm and talons etc and expecting to kill everyone . they already got batswarm and mist form nerfed now they get other stuff nerfed as well.

• Elidas
    Elidas
    AoE cap is not the solution, it just makes zergs more viable and it makes the game less realistic.
  • popatiberiuoneb18_ESO
    hamon wrote: »
    Marovec wrote: »
    If you are relying on a removal of AoE cap to pvp...wow...

Way to try and work skill and coordination into the game. Nah, lets just run in and spam AoE....much better...

Freaking PvP whiners...never happy...

I keep seeing this skill and coordination argument by some of the yes to aoe caps people

please tell me what skill and coordination you're going to use with say.. 8 people to wipe out a zerg the size of say, 40 people

By all means, explain how you would accomplish this task without AoE

why would 8 people be able to wipe out 40 anyway?,, blame the vet 10's thinking uber tactics is running into mobs of lower lvl players and spamming bat swarm and talons etc and expecting to kill everyone . they already got batswarm and mist form nerfed now they get other stuff nerfed as well.

8 organized people vs 40 confused pugs - meybe...8 organized people vs 40 organized people? No way, no siege engine or whatever tactic one can think of could give you the slightest chance of victory once all your aoe caps are reduced to 6. There is a reason why no pro-aoe cap person posted such a tactic on the forums: there is none.

Bat swarm was not nerfed, they fixed the ultimate reduction on vampire stages thus making you unable to spam it all day long. Nothing wrong with that, its one of the very few positive things they did towards balancing the game.

Mist form indeed got nerfed, it was in need of balancing and the people who were in charge of it managed to miss the point entirely thus a poor nerf instead of a well tought balance.

EDIT: noone likes getting nerfed, once they start nerfing there is no stopping to it and will get everyone pissed in the end withouth fixing the problems. You sound like a vampire player, never played one myself. Comf for being the 1st victim but dont worry, there are plenty of future victims as the people in charge of balancing have no clue what they are doing.
    Edited by popatiberiuoneb18_ESO on May 13, 2014 2:36PM
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    Smaller, organized forces should absolutely be able to take on larger forces. Maybe not 8 v. 100, but they should be able to make up for some disadvantage in numbers by using superior tactics. With an AoE cap of 6, this truly is impossible. All of the advantage goes to a zerg, even an unorganized one.

There's a reason population imbalance in campaigns is such a big issue. AoE caps are a major contributor to that. There's a reason everyone runs with a zerg, and very few people run off to try to find smaller skirmishes. Zergs would offer strength in numbers even without AoE caps; but with AoE caps, every nearby player literally acts as a damage shield. Each nearby ally above the cap of 6 literally gives you an additional chance to dodge every AoE thrown your way, significantly reducing the effectiveness of these attacks.

There are many problems with Cyrodiil. AoE caps have served to make many of these problems worse, and I suspect these problems will never be properly addressed while AoE caps remain in ESO. This is a move in the wrong direction.

If some abilities are too powerful when they are able to hit an unlimited number of players, then make it so only the first 6 players hit trigger secondary effects; things like life leech and ultimate gain. But the damage components of attacks, as well as direct heals, should not be capped.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Travail wrote: »
    Smaller, organized forces should absolutely be able to take on larger forces. Maybe not 8 v. 100, but they should be able to make up for some disadvantage in numbers by using superior tactics. With an AoE cap of 6, this truly is impossible. All of the advantage goes to a zerg, even an unorganized one.

There's a reason population imbalance in campaigns is such a big issue. AoE caps are a major contributor to that. There's a reason everyone runs with a zerg, and very few people run off to try to find smaller skirmishes. Zergs would offer strength in numbers even without AoE caps; but with AoE caps, every nearby player literally acts as a damage shield. Each nearby ally above the cap of 6 literally gives you an additional chance to dodge every AoE thrown your way, significantly reducing the effectiveness of these attacks.

There are many problems with Cyrodiil. AoE caps have served to make many of these problems worse, and I suspect these problems will never be properly addressed while AoE caps remain in ESO. This is a move in the wrong direction.

If some abilities are too powerful when they are able to hit an unlimited number of players, then make it so only the first 6 players hit trigger secondary effects; things like life leech and ultimate gain. But the damage components of attacks, as well as direct heals, should not be capped.

-Travail.

again you don't understand. the AoE cap has been in play since day one. We just didn't know about it. Read the post again. there are 5 abilities that were not following the 6 player AoE cap so they are BUGS. If you have been playing this game and having fun and winning battled this whole time, guess what? You only had a 6 player cap less you were using those 5 abilities. Less the ability specifically says it affects more then 6 people, its 6 people. This topic is like beating a dead horse already. The game has not significantly changed one bit yet this is the most talked about garbage.
  • popatiberiuoneb18_ESO

-Travail.

again you don't understand. the AoE cap has been in play since day one. We just didn't know about it. Read the post again. there are 5 abilities that were not following the 6 player AoE cap so they are BUGS. If you have been playing this game and having fun and winning battled this whole time, guess what? You only had a 6 player cap less you were using those 5 abilities. Less the ability specifically says it affects more then 6 people, its 6 people. This topic is like beating a dead horse already. The game has not significantly changed one bit yet this is the most talked about garbage.

We didnt know about an aoe cap of 6 that wasnt in the tooltips or on many of the actual skills...yes..i do not read minds nor do i belive anything that im being told. There were way more then 5 abilities withouth cap and most of them are now capped. This is a fact and even ZOS admited to "fixing" some of them.. If you think this is not a significant change then i have no words...i do agree with you on 1 thing tho, this "bug fix" is garbage.

If you choose to belive whatever ZOS is telling you feel free to, its your choice and i respect that. If you have any other arguments besides "ZOS said so" or "ZOS thinks this is good" by all means, im willing to listen.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

-Travail.

We didnt know about an aoe cap of 6 that wasnt in the tooltips or on many of the actual skills...yes..i do not read minds nor do i belive anything that im being told. There were way more then 5 abilities withouth cap and most of them are now capped. This is a fact and even ZOS admited to "fixing" some of them.. If you think this is not a significant change then i have no words...i do agree with you on 1 thing tho, this "bug fix" is garbage.

If you choose to belive whatever ZOS is telling you feel free to, its your choice and i respect that. If you have any other arguments besides "ZOS said so" or "ZOS thinks this is good" by all means, im willing to listen.

What makes you think that you are even entitled to know every aspect of the game? Just because you pay 15 bucks a month doesn't mean you hold any controlling stock in what the company does or says. Your a consumer. Your only options are to pay for the product and support the product, or stop paying for the product and not support it. They do not have to answer to any of us. If you want a say in what the company should or should not release, perhaps you should go buy some stocks.
  • Jogi1
    Jogi1
    ✭✭
    Seems many whiners palyed happily until now, when told that " All AoE effect abilities in ESO have a max target limit of six, and always have. "

Feel free to quit the game, no one stops you!
    "Anon us most soon again, for sooth."
    Lord Rugdumph gro-Shurgak