The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

A rant about the increasing grind time to get event motifs

• FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    0 drops in 4 days from the gold box + 1 epic box each day.
    @ZOS_Kevin do you know why this drop rate is lower than previous events?

I mean, you only opened 8 boxes it seems. That may be the reason why the drop rate is low, you haven't really participated in the event enough to have enough chances at dropping the pages.

Would you mind defining "really participating"?
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »

I mean, you only opened 8 boxes it seems. That may be the reason why the drop rate is low, you haven't really participated in the event enough to have enough chances at dropping the pages.

I said, participated enough.

The commenter I replied to did the bare minimum to just get the event tickets. The style pages take a bit more effort than doing 4 quests over 4 days. And they should take that. They can be bought for tickets or gold from traders, or they can be earned by players who put in a bit of effort farming some boxes. It's a good thing they aren't handed out to players who just showed up to the event and really didn't go beyond that.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    d

The commenter I replied to did the bare minimum to just get the event tickets. The style pages take a bit more effort than doing 4 quests over 4 days. And they should take that. They can be bought for tickets or gold from traders, or they can be earned by players who put in a bit of effort farming some boxes. It's a good thing they aren't handed out to players who just showed up to the event and really didn't go beyond that.

The commenter did more than me, I only do 5 characters, and have gotten a page every day, not everyone wants a bunch of toons, nor to spend all day on this game. I feel I've participated more than enough, more than the bare minimum for tickets, as that would be just 1 quest needed.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blinx wrote: »
    d

The commenter did more than me, I only do 5 characters, and have gotten a page every day, not everyone wants a bunch of toons, nor to spend all day on this game. I feel I've participated more than enough, more than the bare minimum for tickets, as that would be just 1 quest needed.

But you don't need to do multiple characters AT ALL.

Just farm some double nodes for like 10 minutes. The boxes are dropping like candy. I literally have gotten 5-10 boxes per day just farming the nodes on the route to kill the world boss for the quest. And have had pages drop daily. If a player is only doing one quest and opening the 2 boxes from it per day, they are doing the bare minimum possible in participation of the event, and they are being rewarded for the bare minimum, as it should be.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You have a much higher chance of getting it from the gold box, as far as I understand things.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far the feedback has been amazing! After giving it another thought today, and taking into account some stuff that's been said I've come with an idea, so hear me out:

They would be capped at three daily pages.
    1st, golden event box: Guaranteed bound motif page you don't already own. If you've already completed it, you have instead a 50% chance to get any unbound event motif page from the golden box.

Purple boxes: 50% chance of getting any unbound event motif page. After that, you have a 10% chance of getting a third one so those interested in playing funny coin numbers would have to earn it.

Your thoughts? How would you improve it? Maybe you have a different idea?

The Event lasts for around 12 days.

Many of the event styles have around six pages.

As a result, anyone that opened around five boxes per day would end up with around 24 pages if they did it every day.

This would generate a massive surplus of pages which would mean that at the end of the events you'd have loads of pages of event items that would be dirt cheap which in turn would reduce the incentives for actually bothering to do the event.
    Edited by chessalavakia_ESO on October 3, 2022 2:37PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a much higher chance of getting it from the gold box, as far as I understand things.

I've gotten zero of them from the gold boxes so far. All from the purple ones. But, you can also get a larger volume of purple ones, which gives you more chances to drop the pages than the once per day chance from the gold box.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are going to have low drop rates, they need to be curated. I had a ton of the opal motifs drop last event and the majority were the same one.

Abd someone above mentioned only getting boxes from dailies, purple ones do drop from harvesting. It seems to be fairly random. I've gotten boxes for just grabbing 10 resources, but other times, it takes 50+. It sort of feels like early boxes come faster than later ones, but could definitely just be RNG.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are a limited time offering, you can't grind them over some long time, if the drop is low, you have to live in the game for the duration of event, which can only lead to burnout.
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Billium813 wrote: »
    Only open event boxes until you get a motif page. Then stop until 24hrs passes. There is an invisible 20 hour cooldown on page drops that players don't realize.

This does not fit my experience during this event.

On the first day of the event, I found two different pages of the event style on the same server (PC NA), by the same character (my main), from purple event coffers obtained just hours apart (if that long) by harvesting resource nodes and killing mobs on the way to the various fishing holes and scenic sites for the holiday quest.

There was not even a daily reset between the two pages; both were found before the daily reset which would have ended the first day of the event.

In contrast, I found no pages that day on the other server (PC EU). I did eventually find one page on the other server, but if I'm not mistaken it was on the third day of the event-- also found in a purple event coffer by killing a mob on the way to a delve. So far that's the only page I've found on that server, but I haven't been grinding resource nodes and mobs yet.
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Was going to post how stupid this hidden 20h timer is... but I got another oaken style page less than 20h after getting one yesterday. So either it is an 18h or less hidden timer, or the droprate is just incredibly low with no timer. I love this, as this means we can keep farming those style pages if we want.

Perhaps my experience is just anecdotal evidence, but I will repeat again that I don't seem to have any issue getting 1 style page per day from opening 5-8 Society of the Steadfast's Munificence Coffers. Maybe after the first style page drop, the odds drop more for each additional page per 20 hours... I'm not sure, but I do know that in the past, I used to open 100 boxes a day, farming events and in the last 2ish years I have noticed that after the 1st page, it just isn't worth it anymore.

For dailies coffers, AFAIK there IS a 20 hour cooldown on motif page drops.

This is what I do:
    1. I only open daily reward coffers and event coffers after 11pm CST, PC NA, every day, before the daily reset.
    2. I open them all at once, not as I get them.
    3. I stop opening coffers, that have the same name, once one contains a motif (daily reward coffers) or style page (event coffer). The rest I save until the next day.

Hero's of High Isle

Day 1: 6 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Belt
    Day 2: 5 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Guards
    Day 3: 8 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Bracers
    Day 4: 3 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Bracers

To me, this feels pretty much the same from each event this year. I'll trade the duplicates (if I can) for ones I am missing, but by the end of the event, I should have all the pages.
    I don't know what's worse, getting no event page, or getting the same one 3 days in a row....sigh

From my experience, this is the biggest issue. They just need to make the drops "random", but curated. They need to be random, even while curated, so that players can't farm specific pages that are more expensive like they do for sticker book drops. If every player had the same curated drop order, the last 1-2 pages would be SUPER expensive and the first 5 would be peanuts.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are a limited time offering, you can't grind them over some long time, if the drop is low, you have to live in the game for the duration of event, which can only lead to burnout.
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Only open event boxes until you get a motif page. Then stop until 24hrs passes. There is an invisible 20 hour cooldown on page drops that players don't realize.

This does not fit my experience during this event.

On the first day of the event, I found two different pages of the event style on the same server (PC NA), by the same character (my main), from purple event coffers obtained just hours apart (if that long) by harvesting resource nodes and killing mobs on the way to the various fishing holes and scenic sites for the holiday quest.

There was not even a daily reset between the two pages; both were found before the daily reset which would have ended the first day of the event.

In contrast, I found no pages that day on the other server (PC EU). I did eventually find one page on the other server, but if I'm not mistaken it was on the third day of the event-- also found in a purple event coffer by killing a mob on the way to a delve. So far that's the only page I've found on that server, but I haven't been grinding resource nodes and mobs yet.
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Was going to post how stupid this hidden 20h timer is... but I got another oaken style page less than 20h after getting one yesterday. So either it is an 18h or less hidden timer, or the droprate is just incredibly low with no timer. I love this, as this means we can keep farming those style pages if we want.

Perhaps my experience is just anecdotal evidence, but I will repeat again that I don't seem to have any issue getting 1 style page per day from opening 5-8 Society of the Steadfast's Munificence Coffers. Maybe after the first style page drop, the odds drop more for each additional page per 20 hours... I'm not sure, but I do know that in the past, I used to open 100 boxes a day, farming events and in the last 2ish years I have noticed that after the 1st page, it just isn't worth it anymore.

For dailies coffers, AFAIK there IS a 20 hour cooldown on motif page drops.

This is what I do:
    1. I only open daily reward coffers and event coffers after 11pm CST, PC NA, every day, before the daily reset.
    2. I open them all at once, not as I get them.
    3. I stop opening coffers, that have the same name, once one contains a motif (daily reward coffers) or style page (event coffer). The rest I save until the next day.

Hero's of High Isle

Day 1: 6 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Belt
    Day 2: 5 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Guards
    Day 3: 8 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Bracers
    Day 4: 3 boxes to get Style Page: Oaken Order Bracers

To me, this feels pretty much the same from each event this year. I'll trade the duplicates (if I can) for ones I am missing, but by the end of the event, I should have all the pages.
    I don't know what's worse, getting no event page, or getting the same one 3 days in a row....sigh

From my experience, this is the biggest issue. They just need to make the drops "random", but curated. They need to be random, even while curated, so that players can't farm specific pages that are more expensive like they do for sticker book drops. If every player had the same curated drop order, the last 1-2 pages would be SUPER expensive and the first 5 would be peanuts.

You might be a bit on the lucky or I might be on the unlucky side.

I've been doing 10-25 per day and I've gotten two pages so far as drops.

• skyrimfantasy
    skyrimfantasy
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been doing anything during the event but decided to farm the double nodes last night for an hour. In that time I got 1, yes only 1, purple box. Not exactly enticing to continue playing.
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just go around to sightsee and kill things, harvesting a node here and there, and the boxes drop plenty for me.

Not sure if there's a timer on anything, I found two Oaken Order pages quickly after another the other day. The Steadfast pages are definitely not on a timer, I found like 4-5 pages yesterday and I just did the three dailies and ran around for an hour afterwards.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just go around to sightsee and kill things, harvesting a node here and there, and the boxes drop plenty for me.

Not sure if there's a timer on anything, I found two Oaken Order pages quickly after another the other day. The Steadfast pages are definitely not on a timer, I found like 4-5 pages yesterday and I just did the three dailies and ran around for an hour afterwards.

I agree about the lack of a cooldown for the pages. There seems to be a minimum 5-minute cooldown on getting coffers from resource nodes, corpses, chests, etc.-- everything except turning in dailies-- but whether or not there's a style page in a coffer seems to be purely a matter of RNG.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    older events did have the problem of outfit pages being too common

jephrine paladin and a few others were so insanely common i had multiple copies of each in storage and couldnt hardly sell them for like more than a few hundred gold if they sold at all

but i find the newer ones to be a little too rare because its hard to even collect them all yourself without buying or trading in guilds/zone chat

so they need a good balance between the pages being so common that they become worthless clutter, and so rare that it makes it impossible to finish the set without immense amounts of farming or burning a lot of tickets on the pages
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    older events did have the problem of outfit pages being too common

jephrine paladin and a few others were so insanely common i had multiple copies of each in storage and couldnt hardly sell them for like more than a few hundred gold if they sold at all

but i find the newer ones to be a little too rare because its hard to even collect them all yourself without buying or trading in guilds/zone chat

so they need a good balance between the pages being so common that they become worthless clutter, and so rare that it makes it impossible to finish the set without immense amounts of farming or burning a lot of tickets on the pages

I agree. Though those "cheap" older motifs are now quite expensive.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I guess it all depends on what the intended goal the devs have for the event. Is it for everyone who participates to get a set of the style? Or is it for only the fortunate/rich to get them? If it's the first, then the rates are too low.

This is an extremely insightful comment and I agree. Nothing to add because it's right on the money!
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, I've gotten six pages-- three on each of the two servers I play on, PC NA and PC EU.

I think all three on PC NA were from purple coffers obtained by harvesting resource nodes, killing overland mobs or mobs and bosses in delves, and looting treasure chests. One of the three was a duplicate, but I traded it to another player for a page I didn't have yet.

On PC EU, two of the three were from purple coffers, just like on PC NA, but I actually got the third from today's golden coffer.

My luck on both servers has been sporadic, alternating between getting a couple of pages close together, followed by a long stretch before getting another page.

We've had five days of the event so far, out of a total of 13, and I've gotten three out of seven pages during that time, so I feel like I've got plenty of wiggle room to get the remaining pages by the end of the event, especially since I'd already planned to buy up to two pages with tickets. I don't intend to buy any with gold, but I guess I'll have to see what happens.

Could the drop rate be better? Yes, it certainly could. But considering that I definitely haven't been spending hours upon hours grinding for purple coffers, the drop rate actually seems reasonably adequate.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair even if there isn't a 20h timer , the droprate for the oaken style pages is quite low(bit too low in my opinion). The chances of getting a style page should increase with every box you open. Let's say we start at a 1% chance for a style page, and every event box opened adds another +1% chance to get a style page. Then when you get a style page, the chance to get another drops back to 1%, and starts increasing with every box again. Etc, etc.

So the more you participate in events like these, the bigger your chances for more style pages. Which is how I feel events should work.

PS: Right now I have gotten 5 style pages, all from purple boxes.
    PPS: Another issue with a too low droprate, means those who can barely participate in the event will also have to shell out immense amounts of gold to buy the style pages from guildtraders.
    PPPS: The gameplay of waiting for the style page drop reset to open boxes, is that really how ZOS wants players to play events?! (not saying this should not be allowed, but I personally feel this is a weird way for ZOS to want players to 'participate' in events)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of today, I've found just over half of the pages (4 out of 7) during just under half of the event (6 out of 13), so I seem to be on track to getting 7 pages a few days before the end of the event.

The last page was a duplicate of one I already had, but on one server I've already traded it for one I needed, and on the other server I'll trade it as soon as I see someone in zone chat who's wanting to trade for it.

One thing that's interesting to me is that I wasn't getting any style pages from the coffers that are given to you upon handing in a completed daily, but then for the last 2 days I've gotten a style page from the golden coffer each day.

It seems like if I've already found a style page in a purple coffer from other sources-- resource nodes, mobs/bosses, chests-- then I won't get a style page in the golden coffer. But if I haven't found one from the other sources yet, I have a higher chance of getting one in the golden coffer.

I don't know if that's because there's a cooldown programmed into the RNG for the golden coffer, but if there is then it doesn't seem to apply to the RNG for the purple coffers, since I've gotten more than one style page on the same character during the same play session before, with no daily reset between one style page and the next.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually think the Oaken Order page rate feels about right. I got one most days of the event but not all of them. And they seem to be rare enough that they hold some value still, but not so rare that they cost a ridiculous amount of coin for an event prize.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got guards on one acct then got belt on second acct. Learned them both on my main acct.
    Then got guards and belt on the main account......Like what? I still needed 5 others and it just gives me duplicates?
    Traded belt for arm cops
    Bought the jack with tickets. Next one I get, you guessed it....Jack
    Traded Jack for for bracers.
    Second account hasn't seen a second page yet.
    Still need helmets and boots
    That is some crazy RNG to get duplicates for the first 3 of 4 that I learned
    Edited by Katahdin on October 4, 2022 9:40PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 Jacks, 2 Boots Oaken Order dupes on my main acct, not trusting RNG to get'em all by events end, I just bought the ones I needed from guild traders, now I can do the barest minimum of 1 quest for my tickets and log out. My other accts don't bother collecting, so I'm good.

I've never gotten more than 1 Oaken Order style page per day, unlike the Steadfast Society which I only needed 1, was 13/14 before Event started, those seem to have no cool now, yet they certainly did before
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like that they're kinda rare. Why do you think they should be abundant? Just because they were in the past?

I think its cool that they're not dropping every other box. Makes them more valuable, in a financial sense and otherwise.

You aren't entitled to style pages. Earn them.

Earn them? Seriously?

I don't think that anyone's asking for them to drop every other box, however it would be nice if you didn't have to grind 8-10 per day to get a single page. The trend over the past year + has been pushing more and more towards making it so that people feel compelled to buy the drops with event tickets with the sum total of all available items costing more tickets than you can earn through normal gameplay, thus encouraging people to buy tickets from the Crown Store. ZOS doesn't care if you actually enjoy the game as long as you keep spending.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rate is always a pita.

Grind pa more, lol.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got all the parts for the Oaken set in the first 3 days, the chest, legs, and shoulders dropped in 3 consecutive boxes.... then someone told me that once I get a motif page, to wait for about 20 hours - as there is some type of cooldown. I have tried doing that, and now I have several characters with piles of the things.

Auldwulfe
  • Living_Tribunal
    Living_Tribunal
    ✭✭✭
    I yeeted some gold at the vendors and just bought them.