The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Game won't launch on Mac since update.

• tomyl
    tomyl
    Soul Shriven
    Hey everyone, we are still discussing this issue internally but one thing we'd like you to try - could someone that previously couldn't launch the game but successfully hooked it up to an external source swap the settings so the game is in windowed mode, then try to launch it on the native screen again? Thanks in advance!

I was able to run the game in windowed mode on the external display but still could not launch it on the native screen afterwards.

This worked:
    Starting the game ("Play" from the launcher) on the external display (windowed mode), signing in, selecting character, and entering the world. Once in the game world, I could drag the window to my laptop screen and continue playing from my m1 2020 MacBook Pro without issues.

This didn't work:
    Starting the game ("Play" from the launcher) on the external display (windowed mode), signing in, dragging the window to my laptop screen, and THEN entering the world. The game crashed when trying to enter the world from my native screen.

This also didn't work:
    Once I had the windowed game running on my laptop screen (by starting it in the external display and dragging it over as described above), I logged out to get back to the character select menu, and the window crashed.
    Options
  • Midni
    Midni
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, we are still discussing this issue internally but one thing we'd like you to try - could someone that previously couldn't launch the game but successfully hooked it up to an external source swap the settings so the game is in windowed mode, then try to launch it on the native screen again? Thanks in advance!

Many thanks for keeping on looking into this. I tried both Windowed and Windowed (Fullscreen) modes and it didn't not launch as usually for me. On the last launch though, through my ipad, the camera was spinning, and I also got a new system message as if I just reinstalled the game. It asked for access through System Preferences, and after I checked/unchecked the ESO icons, the camera stopped spinning. This kinda tells me that people are actively looking for fixes and solutions. \o/

One other thing is that if I disconnect from the ipad before the character is in the game world, the game crashes. Also, when I tried to /reloadui the game crashed as well.
    Options
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve got a gut feeling that even though the devs may end up fixing this issue, we are going to be dead in the water once again when macOS Ventura drops in October since they’ll probably pull that 2020 article (about ESO not being ported to ARM-based Macs) on us again and this time they will point to how it was just mentioned recently in this thread. Probably a good idea not to purchase anymore crowns/extended membership until then.

They either should just axe us ARM-based Mac users once and for all or finally announce they will port ESO over. It’s not just a game anymore when people are spending 100s of dollars just to get shafted shortly after. Enough of this yo-yo nonsense. It’s a shame and PITA to be this discouraged.

The principle.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 2:44PM
    Options
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    Got update, works fine also if you mirror the screen to second monitor... Also works with airplay monitors
    Options
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    HELOOO ALL.... GREAT NEWS FOR ALL OF US :D

GOT THE ISSUE SOLVED FOR YOU... YOU CAN THANK ME LATER...

Follow these steps >
    1. download from AppStore following App > Display Menu --- it is free
    2. install and launch the App
    3. select fixed resolution from the Aplication in the UPPER MENU BAR
    4. launch and play the ESO...
    Options
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    xPoisin wrote: »

Follow these steps >

I don't see "Fixed Resolution" in the application menu choices...am I missing something?
    Options
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    You should see it in the APP - it is a small icon in TOP bar in MacOS.
    After clicking on that icon you should see menu with all the resolutions with refresh rates
    Options
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    and the fixed resolution is meant that you chould choose one from the App menu…
    Options
  • tomyl
    tomyl
    Soul Shriven
    xPoisin - Amazing solution, thank you!!

For me, it only works if I select a resolution of 2048 x 1280 or above. If I select the default resolution (1440 x 900) or anything else below 2048 x 1280, it crashes.
    Options
  • tomyl
    tomyl
    Soul Shriven
    After starting the game with the screen in a higher resolution, I can then switch it back to 1440 x 900 and it continues to run. It'll still crash if I log out to go to the character selection screen though.
    Options
  • rerikg
    rerikg
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you xPoisin! This worked for me. I chose a resolution of 1920x1200 and the game launched without trouble.

Hopefully this is a simple enough problem for ZOS to fix, but for now this works for me.

Follow these steps >

Options
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    You should not select resolution bellow 1920x1200 as far as I have tested...

All resolutions above 1920x1200 worked fine...
    Options
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Thank you.....Thank you.....Thank you
    Options
  • Svartulv
    Svartulv
    ✭✭✭
    How come other gaming companies got this solved while ZOS didn't? WoW is 18 years old, and it runs natively on M1 chips. If you don't have the people/time to support this initiative, that's understandable - after all, I don't think the Mac client base exceeds 1-2% of players. But it shouldn't be too hard to ensure it works through Rosetta, which was exactly the case prior to the last update.

If you are not ready to support Macs at all, make a clear statement about that. Close the forum threads, remove the Mac logo from the website, and do not mention it anywhere as a supported platform. Those Mac players who joined the game after the 2020 announcement will not scroll the news that far and will be genuinely surprised that their platform is not actually supported.
    Options
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Svartulv wrote: »
    How come other gaming companies got this solved while ZOS didn't? WoW is 18 years old, and it runs natively on M1 chips. If you don't have the people/time to support this initiative, that's understandable - after all, I don't think the Mac client base exceeds 1-2% of players. But it shouldn't be too hard to ensure it works through Rosetta, which was exactly the case prior to the last update.

If you are not ready to support Macs at all, make a clear statement about that. Close the forum threads, remove the Mac logo from the website, and do not mention it anywhere as a supported platform. Those Mac players who joined the game after the 2020 announcement will not scroll the news that far and will be genuinely surprised that their platform is not actually supported.

My point exactly. People here are happy they found a few workarounds, meanwhile the potential to get shafted again in the future remains with no clear NEW announcement regarding ARM-based Macs. I didn’t know about that 2020 announcement until this issue happened. Steam and other websites are advertising ESO for Mac and even they are being misled.

If the devs do fix this issue, then they are being hypocritical of their support of ARM-based Macs and should be called out for it as soon as they throw us a bone of a hot fix. It’s like we are being led on and given less priority as money spending players compared to other spenders. I don’t want a hot fix, I want a clear answer on whether we ARM-based Mac users are getting the axe or not. This is an MMORPG with its own microtransaction store, it’s a long term investment of time and money.

2 months of learning a whole new system of game mechanics and $100 spent down the drain. We shouldn’t be here treated like disposable players, barely hanging onto a thread. The workarounds are going to run out.

Asking for a hot fix here is missing the big picture imo.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 11:05PM
    Options
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭

Follow these steps >

Can confirm this also worked for me, which'll be a great solution until it is fixed in the software itself. Thank you so much!
    Options
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Liliumme wrote: »

Follow these steps >

Can confirm this also worked for me, which'll be a great solution until it is fixed in the software itself. Thank you so much!

But wouldn’t it be hypocritical of them if they fixed it in the software itself since they said in 2020 that ESO won’t be ported over to ARM-based Macs? At the first hiccup they pulled that announcement on us. Whose to say they won’t do it again since they haven’t clarified their stance on it? I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be yo-yoed around and treated like second rate as a spending player compared to other spenders.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 12:12AM
    Options
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    Nyseto wrote: »
    But wouldn’t it be hypocritical of them if they fixed it in the software itself since they said in 2020 that ESO won’t be ported over to ARM-based Macs? At the first hiccup they pulled that announcement on us. Whose to say they won’t do it again since they haven’t clarified their stance on it? I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be yo-yoed around and treated like second rate as a spending player compared to other spenders.

They painted themselves into a corner : sooner rather than later, they will have to drop intel Macs when they become too slow, etc. and more and more Mac users are on apple silicon. This contradiction has the potential to become a PR nightmare. It's as if they have to break eso for AS Mac users so they can drop Intel Mac users when they become too few.
    Options
  • rerikg
    rerikg
    Soul Shriven

Then our only choice is for them to axe all Mac support immediately. This statement is simply begging ZOS to just cut us off entirely. It is just not helpful. A small fix now helps extends the life of the product for a time and allows them to reconsider their position regarding ARM.

Do I think they're being hypocritical for touting Mac support while saying ARM is unsupported? Hell yes. Mac is now on ARM. This is not going to change and Apple is not going back. Except for the Mac Pro, their entire macOS product line is now on
    ARM, so claiming Mac support now is ludicrous. Do I think they're flirting with a class action lawsuit for false advertisement? Again, yes I do. But as long as they claim support, they can change their mind about supporting ARM. The only choice beyond that is to end it now and be done with it.

Options
  • gutterskunk
    gutterskunk
    Soul Shriven
    while we're all here. what graphics setting do ya'll get away with?
    Options
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    rerikg wrote: »

Then our only choice is for them to axe all Mac support immediately. This statement is simply begging ZOS to just cut us off entirely. It is just not helpful. A small fix now helps extends the life of the product for a time and allows them to reconsider their position regarding ARM.

Do I think they're being hypocritical for touting Mac support while saying ARM is unsupported? Hell yes. Mac is now on ARM. This is not going to change and Apple is not going back. Except for the Mac Pro, their entire macOS product line is now on
    ARM, so claiming Mac support now is ludicrous. Do I think they're flirting with a class action lawsuit for false advertisement? Again, yes I do. But as long as they claim support, they can change their mind about supporting ARM. The only choice beyond that is to end it now and be done with it.

We are only taking preemptive measure because once and if they hot fix this and those players jumping for joy disappear into the game as a result, you can be sure they’ll be running straight back here again when a similar issue arises after which ZOS will pull that 2020 announcement as an excuse on them. Don’t forget macOS Ventura drops in October, I wouldn’t sleep on it. I’m not cutting them any slack because I already spent money and some other guy here blew like $760 as well as another who shelled out 6 month’s worth of membership to them. Don’t mess with my hard-earned bag.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 12:44AM
    Options
  • rerikg
    rerikg
    Soul Shriven
    We are only taking preemptive measure because once and if they hot fix this and those players jumping for joy disappear into the game as a result, you can be sure they’ll be running straight back here again when a similar issue arises after which ZOS will pull that 2020 announcement as an excuse on them. Don’t forget macOS Ventura drops in October, I wouldn’t sleep on it. I’m not cutting them any slack because I already spent money and some other guy here blew like $760 as well as another who shelled out 6 month’s worth of membership to them. Don’t mess with my hard-earned bag.

I don't entirely disagree with you. The thing is, they can do that now. They don't have to issue a hot fix at all. They can end all Mac support tomorrow, using their announcement as an excuse. In 24 hours they could remove the word Mac from their promos, let go of their Mac developers, and call it done. Nothing is stopping them. I've put about 10 years worth of money into the product, and am an ESO Plus subscriber. All that money would be gone in an instant.

I see their consideration of a hot fix as a good sign. They don't have to do it. I always figured that the moment a problem came up, they'd pull that card and call it done. I was amazed when I saw them considering a fix. So I guess I'm just an optimist. Though I admit that that class action lawsuit is looking more and more likely...
    Options
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    rerikg wrote: »

I don't entirely disagree with you. The thing is, they can do that now. They don't have to issue a hot fix at all. They can end all Mac support tomorrow, using their announcement as an excuse. In 24 hours they could remove the word Mac from their promos, let go of their Mac developers, and call it done. Nothing is stopping them. I've put about 10 years worth of money into the product, and am an ESO Plus subscriber. All that money would be gone in an instant.

I see their consideration of a hot fix as a good sign. They don't have to do it. I always figured that the moment a problem came up, they'd pull that card and call it done. I was amazed when I saw them considering a fix. So I guess I'm just an optimist. Though I admit that that class action lawsuit is looking more and more likely...

See I’m a realist. If they fix it and also address that announcement, that’s good. If they don’t fix it and they axe it completely, that’s still good. I am Apple for life, I won’t blame Apple for using the silicone chip, I can move on and find other games. I just want something definite regarding this issue so not only do I no longer have to waste time and money, but others as well since this game is advertised by other digital distribution platforms as being compatible with a Mac. The intel macs are getting phased out and I bet you that if their entire mac users fell off tomorrow, they would feel it in their pockets regardless of most likely making up the minority of their player base. Devs have to keep up with the newer tech so people can actually play their game. Being cheap by refusing to port their game over to the newer Macs is only going to cost them more in the long run. Intel is already in trouble due to Apple’s silicone chip. If more and more PC users want a Mac, it’s game over. I will convert as many PC users as I can to a Mac just so ZOS can finally port ESO over.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 1:36AM
    Options
  • ComfortablyDummb

M1 max here. I am able to max out all settings and it never drops below 50 fps.

I seriously cannot understand why they won’t support a platform that works extremely well with their game. They should be taking advantage of it.
    Options
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

I seriously cannot understand why they won’t support a platform that works extremely well with their game. They should be taking advantage of it.

Because the short term extra spending to port it over is more important to them than their long term profit margins. Bad business move imo, Blizzard is at least smart enough to have taken advantage of it with WoW…except they are too profit-oriented with their new Diablo Immortal. We should infiltrate PC communities and get them to buy more Macs by letting them know how their intel-based processors are in trouble due to Apple’s silicone chip. Then maybe ZOS will reconsider that 2020 announcement. ARM-based Mac users unite!
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 1:47AM
    Options
  • Nhimera
    Nhimera
    Soul Shriven
    Like some other people, I was able to run on my M1 macbook pro by connecting to an external monitor. The funny part is that after I'd done that, I accidentally dragged ESO to my built-in display and it continued to run fine.

I can understand not rewriting ESO for Mac ARM, but it was running so well under rosetta it seems a shame to break it. I also think that it needs to state clearly on all system requirements pages that Mac ARM is not supported. When I go to google and search for ESO system requirements, this is the first page I find, and it makes no mention of the ARM limitation. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/newplayerguide/minspec
    Options
  • Aetnaria
    Aetnaria
    ✭✭
    Can confirm that game will launch with tablet added as an extended display (had to monkey with it a few times, didn't initially prevent crash). Can confirm that attempting to log in after disconnecting said external display tablet does cause game to crash again. I do not play in fullscreen mode - it's always Windowed for me, all the time. I did swap from Windowed to Windowed (fullscreen) via Settings before logging in, but the crash occurred regardless once the extended display was disconnected. With an extended display connected I am able to successfully log in, but swapping to another character to load back in risks another crash. (using M1 Max, macOS 12.5)
    Options
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I'm guessing some of the third party software packages that ESO depends on may not have ARM64 versions, which may prevent them from porting the game. For instance, the code which synchronizes NPC lips with the audio dialog isn't from ZoS, I believe. I know a recent AAA game port designed specifically for Apple Silicon Macs is actually running under Rosetta because the multiplayer networking libraries were Intel-only.

If history is any indicator, eventually Apple will pull the plug on Rosetta 2, like they did with Rosetta PowerPC-Intel translation. I am guessing that was the cut-off ZoS anticipated being the end of the road for ESO on Mac, and what the announcement from Matt Firor was primarily referring to.
    Options
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭
    Liliumme wrote: »

Follow these steps >

TBH, I'm just happy to be playing a game as visually appealing as ESO today, and I wouldn't lose sleep over whichever path was ultimately taken (I'm knowingly playing on an unsupported machine after all) but I'm grateful for a community manager checking in on us periodically. :smile: I feel the issue is to do with some code not determining a monitor's specs properly during the app's launch, so it'll be beneficial for them to fix it regardless.

Have a lovely week, everyone - I've got 7 years of content to catch up on. :blush:
    Options
  • ComfortablyDummb
    Aetnaria wrote: »
    Can confirm that game will launch with tablet added as an extended display (had to monkey with it a few times, didn't initially prevent crash). Can confirm that attempting to log in after disconnecting said external display tablet does cause game to crash again. I do not play in fullscreen mode - it's always Windowed for me, all the time. I did swap from Windowed to Windowed (fullscreen) via Settings before logging in, but the crash occurred regardless once the extended display was disconnected. With an extended display connected I am able to successfully log in, but swapping to another character to load back in risks another crash. (using M1 Max, macOS 12.5)

I think it’s more of a cost benefit analysis. Porting it properly probably takes an investment that the company just doesn’t see a return on today. I’m just glad they weren’t in the mobile business in 2007 because they would’ve also not adjusted to touch screens lol.

As long as Rosetta is still around, I will continue to throw time and money into the game because I just enjoy it. The day that’s gone I will have to move on. This current issue is already a pretty big bummer because although my home setup allows me to continue playing, the benefit of gaming on a laptop is its portability which just got lost.
    Options