The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Game won't launch on Mac since update.

• Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    mrossum123 wrote: »
    yep the patch must up the game on Mac OS can't load game from launcher. it goes black like its going to start. I deleted the game stick. switch different internet twice nothing work. kmml8qkdxz7m.jpg

how did you run that problem report? Game consultant wasn't even working
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    In all honesty, I think we're just screwed. And for those of us who have given ZOS money in the last week (myself included) with absolutely no notice that the next patch would break our ability to play, I also doubt they will issue us any kind of refund because, technically, we can still play on Stadia, even though it's a horrible experience (I just tried it). I am beside myself with disgust that this is happening and with absolutely no notice whatsoever that it was coming, outside of a blog post from 2020. ZOS is definitely in the wrong here and we are just left holding the bag.
  • mrossum123
    mrossum123
    Soul Shriven
    since y'all decided that my Mac won't run eso anymore I want all my money back. I just bought high elesand all my in store money I spend totally $732.06. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on August 23, 2022 12:33PM
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, I think we're just screwed. And for those of us who have given ZOS money in the last week (myself included) with absolutely no notice that the next patch would break our ability to play, I also doubt they will issue us any kind of refund because, technically, we can still play on Stadia, even though it's a horrible experience (I just tried it). I am beside myself with disgust that this is happening and with absolutely no notice whatsoever that it was coming, outside of a blog post from 2020. ZOS is definitely in the wrong here and we are just left holding the bag.

Stadia & cloud gaming can kiss my *** overall. I ain't gonna start tripping over Apple when ZOS and other gaming devs can't keep up with the technology such as the more-efficient-than-intel silicone chip. Intel is in deep **** with Apple's new M1 and M2 chips. Sitting here with my iPhone 13 pro max, series 7 watch, M1 14 in. MacBook Pro, and AirPods Pro. Apple 4 LIFE
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 1:40AM
  • SweetWind
    SweetWind
    ✭✭
    I also play on M1 Pro Max, and have had no problems. I am ESO+, bought a pile of crowns in the recent sale, and use my mac to play when I travel (laptop).

This seriously bums me out. I very much hope you guys consider that performance on Rosetta (the apple included compatibility layer with new macs) was just fine - I played on max settings regularly - and it's your recent patch that has broken things.

Prior to this patch, everything worked beautifully. Now the game fails to launch. Acknowledging this and fixing it, rather than pointing tio an old article that says performance may not be up to par would be appreciated - especially as performance was, in fact, excellent.
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    SweetWind wrote: »
    I also play on M1 Pro Max, and have had no problems. I am ESO+, bought a pile of crowns in the recent sale, and use my mac to play when I travel (laptop).

This seriously bums me out. I very much hope you guys consider that performance on Rosetta (the apple included compatibility layer with new macs) was just fine - I played on max settings regularly - and it's your recent patch that has broken things.

Prior to this patch, everything worked beautifully. Now the game fails to launch. Acknowledging this and fixing it, rather than pointing tio an old article that says performance may not be up to par would be appreciated - especially as performance was, in fact, excellent.

Exactly! And it's been *crickets* since this morning
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Article from 50 years ago says ESO won't be ported over to ARMS-based Macs. We should of seen it coming, what the hell is wrong with us.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 1:55AM
  • gutterskunk
    gutterskunk
    Soul Shriven
    Bought by microsoft. literally zero reason for them to solve any issues for mac
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭

So was WoW, which runs natively on ARM-based Macs...interestingly enough
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

Blizzard could do it, Blizzard is smart. Be like Blizzard. Keep in mind though that pre Microsoft, Blizzard was good with its talented developers and infrastructure. It's trash now.

efsn6j2otkji.png

Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 3:29AM
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the people on other sites are saying they can get it to launch on ARM using an external monitor but, not their native laptop screen.

Source:

https://old.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/wv176u/unable_to_play_on_mac_now_could_play_yesterday/ildei8y/

• ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the people on other sites are saying they can get it to launch on ARM using an external monitor but, not their native laptop screen.

Source:

https://old.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/wv176u/unable_to_play_on_mac_now_could_play_yesterday/ildei8y/

That's probably it, I was running it on a Samsung external display. Crashed once then repaired and no issues since. Crashes on internal display same as everyone else when I tried it undocked just now.
    Edited by ningauble_7b14_ESO on August 23, 2022 5:01AM
  • Areye
    Areye
    Soul Shriven

Source:

Can confirm, was struggling with this all morning but somehow *changing the display* fixed the issue. Luckily I had my drawing tablet to test with. This is... very strange.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

░█████╗░██████╗░███████╗██╗░░░██╗███████╗
    ██╔══██╗██╔══██╗██╔════╝╚██╗░██╔╝██╔════╝
    ███████║██████╔╝█████╗░░░╚████╔╝░█████╗░░
    ██╔══██║██╔══██╗██╔══╝░░░░╚██╔╝░░██╔══╝░░
    ██║░░██║██║░░██║███████╗░░░██║░░░███████╗
    ╚═╝░░╚═╝╚═╝░░╚═╝╚══════╝░░░╚═╝░░░╚══════╝
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    I can also confirm this works...it's a clunky workaround, but at least it's something...maybe someone can code a workaround so those who don't have access to a second monitor (or an iPad, etc.) can also continue to play.
  • Midni
    Midni
    ✭✭
    Jaclynn wrote: »

Having the same issue. Maybe it's a ToT conspiracy...lol

I'm on PC though, so not just Mac.

Oh wow, sry to hear that! I was actually joking to myself last night that maybe it's because of the new templar jab animations. xD I'm currently reinstalling the game. Support followed up a couple of times and suggested to do that, as it seemed to have worked for some Mac users. I'll also try the *switching* to second monitor workaround if it gets to that. Luckily I have an iPad that just barely meets the sidecar system requirements, but I think people have used other devices that could act as external monitors.

Thanks everyone for insights, testing things out, and thinking of solutions. Participatory culture at its best! <3 Based on most responses from devs so far, I also can't imagine them not looking actively into what has caused this.
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭

Source:

Thanks so much Chessalavakia for taking the time to contribute this to the thread, I believe you've saved a lot of folks today! :smile: I'm yet to give it a shot but given my setup was otherwise identical to another successful case in here (just without the external monitor hooked up), I believe I'll be able to log on as well.

This'll surely be something that can be hotfixed. I remain optimistic :grin:
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed working when hooked up via HDMI to my 65" TV, absolutely will not load if just on the MacBook screen.

It looks delightful on there too, I must say. Maybe I'll play it this way from now on. :sunglasses:
  • Voiddreams
    On an M2 processor 64 bit multicore. Same issue. Will crash on startup.

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000008
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
    Terminating Process: exc handler [1651]

VM Region Info: 0x8 is not in any region. Bytes before following region: 140722524913656
    REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
    UNUSED SPACE AT START
    --->
  • Voiddreams
    System specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,4
    Chip: Apple M1 Max
    Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)
    Memory: 32 GB
    System Firmware Version: 7459.141.1
    OS Loader Version: 7459.141.1
    Serial Number (system):
    Hardware UUID: E51C4493-A706-5D6D-8F60-F36E6D8B270E
    Provisioning UDID: 00006001-000430A23404801E
    Activation Lock Status: Disabled

System Version: macOS 12.5.1 (21G83)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 21.6.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: Keith’s MacBook Pro
    User Name:
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    System Integrity Protection: Enabled
    Time since boot: 12 minutes
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    just a question, did anyone tried the ,Scale to fit below built-in camera' option ?

Seems like the error is caused by dynamic resizing and resolution change…
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for the work-around! It worked for me as well. Not sure if it is a great permanent solution, but at least I can get in game while exploring other options!

And then, of course is the worry of what horror the next patch/update will bring. Not going to lie, ZOS response to this have left some psychological scares!
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Activision sale hasn't finalized yet.
  • AlanTheStarLord
    AlanTheStarLord
    ✭✭✭
    xPoisin wrote: »
    just a question, did anyone tried the ,Scale to fit below built-in camera' option ?

Seems like the error is caused by dynamic resizing and resolution change…

Nice idea, but I tried doing that and it didn't work :(

[16" MacBook Pro 16Gb RAM with OS 13.0]
    Edited by AlanTheStarLord on August 23, 2022 12:06PM
  • bitsquare
    bitsquare
    ✭✭
    ESO app crashes instantly on launch both from Launcher app and standalone since the Update 35 patch was applied. Repaired (twice) and uninstalled and reinstalled from Launcher app but to no effect. The ESO app ran fine (using Rosetta) before the patch.

Using a M1 Pro 16" MacBook Pro with Mac OS 12.5.1.
  • Midni
    Midni
    ✭✭
    Amazingness! I also got the game to work with the workaround. It was a bit of an adventure, but the game is on my Mac screen now.

When i launched it after the reinstall it crashed. I did a repair, and it crashed again. Then I moved the screen on my iPad, and got it to launch successfully on there. The camera was spinning though, so I checked and unchecked the ESO icons in Accessibility. I disconnected from iPad, the camera spin was still going while on my mac screen, so I logged out from the game.

Relaunching only worked through iPad again. As soon as I logged in with a character, I removed all ESO stuff from Accessibility, and only added the pubplayerclient from these instructions: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42825/~/why-does-my-camera-keep-spinning-in-eso-on-macos-mojave? The camera stopped spinning, I disconnected from iPad, and now all is good and almost as flawless as it was two days ago (the little chat window has moved somehow towards the middle of the screen).

Many thanks again, all, and keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a hotfix for this soon!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, we are still discussing this issue internally but one thing we'd like you to try - could someone that previously couldn't launch the game but successfully hooked it up to an external source swap the settings so the game is in windowed mode, then try to launch it on the native screen again? Thanks in advance!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    Does MAC have the equivalent to usersettings and shader cache files like the PC client does? My PC client was crashing and deleting those two files solved it. Maybe that would help on MAC as well.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This, or something similar, has happened before after a major update on my MacBook Air 2017. I got it to work on the built-in 13" screen, so here's a description of what I did:

- I updated to macOS Monterey 12.5.1 last night, since it's been about two weeks since I've used it.

- I let Steam update itself last night.

- I let ESO update itself overnight.

- This morning after it had been left open all night updating, ESO said patch manifest error, or something similar.

- I closed and restarted ESO.

- After a second or two of a white screen, the game window disappeared even though the process was still running.

- Rather than force quit, I let it sit for a bit, and then a black screen appeared.

- I clicked on Enter Full Screen (Command M), which changed it to a window because it was already full screen.

- I clicked on Enter Full Screen again, which restored the full screen mode.

- Then the Bethesda and other logos appeared as expected.

- I went Back to the server selection screen and Quit.

- I had to exit the launcher because it had the Could Not Load News message and some other error popup.

- I restarted the launcher (from Steam), clicked Play, and the game launched normally.

TL;DR: I think this is somewhat similar to how ESO takes much longer to launch on Windows the first time after a major update, but the macOS (or ESO's Mac client?) might handle things a bit differently during ESO's initial "I'm just going to sit here for a while and appear to do absolutely nothing while I'm actually getting my ducks in a row behind the scenes" phase. Once you do get the black screen, switching out of Full Screen mode and in again seems to kick things off, after which the game subsequently seems to launch okay.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Voiddreams
    Under accessibility , i removed and added the launcher and eso app with no change.
  • Voiddreams
    The mac report

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
    rax: 0x0000000000000000 rbx: 0x0000000000000001 rcx: 0x0000000000000000 rdx: 0x000000009e222014
    rdi: 0x000000030f8d3550 rsi: 0x0000000000000000 rbp: 0x000000030f8d3590 rsp: 0x000000030f8d3550
    r8: 0x0000000000000390 r9: 0x0000000000000030 r10: 0x00000000000007fb r11: 0x0000000000000154
    r12: 0x0000600002319050 r13: 0x0000600000d86e70 r14: 0x0000000000000000 r15: 0x000000030f8d35d0
    rip: <unavailable> rfl: 0x0000000000000242
    tmp0: 0x000000010366c6f2 tmp1: 0x000000010366c6f2 tmp2: 0x00000001094c7cf0