The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Game won't launch on Mac since update.

Maxamoo
Maxamoo
✭✭
Is anyone else having a problem with the game not launching since this morning's update? Any advice extremely appreciated!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just confirming we didn't make any changes that would affect Mac in this update. Are you getting any specific error message?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Doesn't even get that far. I updated the launcher this morning. Now I press play, it starts to launch and then fails and goes back to launcher. Have updated my system and repaired launcher, but same thing still happens.

Thanks you so much for the quick response!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hmm, I would suggest submitting a ticket with our Support team - if you haven't done so already - so they can help troubleshoot with you.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    I did, thanks so much!

• simeion
    simeion
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue here, window opens for game to start after hitting launch and crashes.
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! Just wanted to say this is also occurring on my M2 Macbook Air. Click launch -> the window opens (black) -> crashes.
    I will post a screenshot of the error here
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    itsdxpswme6g.jpeg
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Some comfort in knowing I am not alone!!!
  • Midni
    Midni
    ✭✭
    I am also experiencing the exact same issue. I am currently running the tests on the game consultant for submitting the ticket. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that while it's running in the background, but the windows for the launcher and for the game consultant now seem to be unresponsive.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks, everyone! Just confirming we've seen the additional reports and are investigating.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for the quick replies!
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Midni wrote: »
    I am also experiencing the exact same issue. I am currently running the tests on the game consultant for submitting the ticket. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that while it's running in the background, but the windows for the launcher and for the game consultant now seem to be unresponsive.

Same! The windows are indeed unresponsive (Mac's rainbow ball thing keeps spinning forever and the force shutdown tab says they are not responding). Thus, I didn't send a Game Consultant file to my Ticket - only the Mac default error .txt file.
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    Same here...can't log into the game on M1 MacBook Pro after today's update
  • Midni
    Midni
    ✭✭
    Bo0137 wrote: »
    Same! The windows are indeed unresponsive (Mac's rainbow ball thing keeps spinning forever and the force shutdown tab says they are not responding). Thus, I didn't send a Game Consultant file to my Ticket - only the Mac default error .txt file.

Thanks! I eventually sent in the Report.txt I got after following the instructions from here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30919 (HOW DO I SUBMIT MY MAC'S SYSTEM INFORMATION FOR THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE CUSTOMER SUPPORT?) Maybe I should have sent the error txt file too. :s Either way, this takes me back a bit to when the game launched officially. I think I ran into a similar issue then too.
    Maxamoo wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Hear hear! Thanks also for your post! :)
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Could everyone let us know what type of Mac you are currently running, please?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    M1 MacBook Pro running 12.5.1
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    MacBook Pro, 14 inch, 2021 Apple M1 Pro Chip
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Are these the same machines you've been using prior to this update?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    Yes ma'am...worked just fine last night
  • Midni
    Midni
    ✭✭
    MacBook Pro, 14 inch, 2021 Apple M1 Pro Chip
    Are these the same machines you've been using prior to this update?

Yup

• Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Yes, was running beautifully last night.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the additional info, everyone. We mentioned this back in 2020, but ESO currently only runs on Intel-based Macs and is no longer officially supported on ARM-based Macs. If you are running a Mac with a Silicon chip, this falls under it being ARM-based and unfortunately, you will be unable to launch ESO which is likely the issue you are running into here. You can find more information about this change in this article along with some potential workarounds. In the event you are running an Intel-based Mac and are running into these issues, though, please let us know and we will continue to investigate.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    So, what does this mean? We have to run it through Stadia now? It just worked last night! Are you guys not going to let us play on our macs anymore?
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    I just renewed a 6-month subscription to ESO plus and now I can't use what worked just fine last night?
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the additional info, everyone. We mentioned this back in 2020, but ESO currently only runs on Intel-based Macs and is no longer officially supported on ARM-based Macs. If you are running a Mac with a Silicon chip, this falls under it being ARM-based and unfortunately, you will be unable to launch ESO which is likely the issue you are running into here. You can find more information about this change in this article along with some potential workarounds. In the event you are running an Intel-based Mac and are running into these issues, though, please let us know and we will continue to investigate.

I'm also on a sillicon Macbook. However, it's been working perfectly until today. @Gina, could you confirm today's update terminates ESO's support on sillicon Macs OR what you are saying is Zenimax doesn't offer solutions to problems related to sillicon Macs?

I was aware of the news you quoted but then up until today it would work 100% good. There must be something related to this specific update...
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    This is highly distressing news. I started playing in early 2022 and had now idea about the ARM-based Mac policy, and do not recall any of that information being clearly provided when I purchased the game. Running on Stadia is no where near the same game experience. The suggestion to just access our accounts on an Intel based system are somewhat insulting, as I am sure we would be doing that if it was an option.

I find it difficult to comprehend how it is not possible to be able to play a game I love yesterday and not today. Is there no possible work around?
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maxamoo wrote: »
    This is highly distressing news. I started playing in early 2022 and had now idea about the ARM-based Mac policy, and do not recall any of that information being clearly provided when I purchased the game. Running on Stadia is no where near the same game experience. The suggestion to just access our accounts on an Intel based system are somewhat insulting, as I am sure we would be doing that if it was an option.

I find it difficult to comprehend how it is not possible to be able to play a game I love yesterday and not today. Is there no possible work around?

The most crucial thing is: Macs with a silicon chip should be able to run ESO and they actually DID, as stated several times in this same thread. Based on my little knowledge on Macs, the silicon Macs natively run an "emulator" called Rosetta, which allows the new machines to understand Intel-era software. The experience you and I and everyone else with a M1 or M2 had this past week (which was 100% good) was most likely ran on Rosetta.

Therefore, it's hard to believe it suddenly stopped working. UNLESS, Zenimax has somehow terminated all support to this method, which I strongly believe is impossible to be done since it won't depend on them.

This is why I asked Gina if that's the case.

Yes, ESO isn't supported on silicon Macs natively. HOWEVER, it is (or at least was) supported through a very easy way, Rosetta.

I need to know wether Zenimax did something to impede this method in this update OR they simply won't bother solving problems related to silicon Macs (which is comprehensible).
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    This is unacceptable and you are about to *** off a lot of your player base...this worked just fine last night and has just now become broken with this most recent update. I find it VERY hard to believe that the entire internal architecture dependency just now kicked in with a single update. If all you can do is point us in the direction of a buried article from 2020 and not have it anywhere in the launcher or as a message that CONSTANTLY comes up every time we launch the game, then you are not the company that I have loved and lauded to all of my friends for years now. I sincerely hope this is not your official stance on this, as all newer Macs are going to have ARM technology moving forward and Intel-based Macs are quickly becoming obsolete.

Are you seriously wanting to alienate your entire Mac community who, although Intel-based Macs are able to run it NOW, won't be able to when the technology becomes increasingly obsolete with each passing year.
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing news, but not completely unexpected. For those of you looking for an alternate way to run the game, I just copied over a Windows client install into Parallels 18, and with slightly lower settings than I was using with the Mac Client, I am getting close to playable fps at 5120x1440, High Settings with FSR set to Quality on an M1 Max 14" MBPro. Assuming ZoS isn't upset about it being run in a VM, its another option other than Stadia.
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    They're gonna have to do some kind of workaround for us...they can't alienate all mac users from this point forward. I just dropped $100 on a subscription and I bought crowns while on sale and now I can't even play and I doubt I'm anywhere near alone on this.