The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game won't launch on Mac since update.

• Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Nhimera wrote: »
    Like some other people, I was able to run on my M1 macbook pro by connecting to an external monitor. The funny part is that after I'd done that, I accidentally dragged ESO to my built-in display and it continued to run fine.

I can understand not rewriting ESO for Mac ARM, but it was running so well under rosetta it seems a shame to break it. I also think that it needs to state clearly on all system requirements pages that Mac ARM is not supported. When I go to google and search for ESO system requirements, this is the first page I find, and it makes no mention of the ARM limitation. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/newplayerguide/minspec

That’s right, people often lose sight of the big picture.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 1:09PM
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭
    This current issue is already a pretty big bummer because although my home setup allows me to continue playing, the benefit of gaming on a laptop is its portability which just got lost.

Try xPoisin's solution a few posts back, the free little Display app from the appstore. It worked for me, and I'm comfortably playing on just the laptop again. :smile:
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Liliumme wrote: »
    Nyseto wrote: »
    Liliumme wrote: »
    xPoisin wrote: »
    HELOOO ALL.... GREAT NEWS FOR ALL OF US :D

GOT THE ISSUE SOLVED FOR YOU... YOU CAN THANK ME LATER...

Follow these steps >
    1. download from AppStore following App > Display Menu --- it is free
    2. install and launch the App
    3. select fixed resolution from the Aplication in the UPPER MENU BAR
    4. launch and play the ESO...

Can confirm this also worked for me, which'll be a great solution until it is fixed in the software itself. Thank you so much!

But wouldn’t it be hypocritical of them if they fixed it in the software itself since they said in 2020 that ESO won’t be ported over to ARM-based Macs? At the first hiccup they pulled that announcement on us. Whose to say they won’t do it again since they haven’t clarified their stance on it? I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be yo-yoed around and treated like second rate as a spending player compared to other spenders.

TBH, I'm just happy to be playing a game as visually appealing as ESO today, and I wouldn't lose sleep over whichever path was ultimately taken (I'm knowingly playing on an unsupported machine after all) but I'm grateful for a community manager checking in on us periodically. :smile: I feel the issue is to do with some code not determining a monitor's specs properly during the app's launch, so it'll be beneficial for them to fix it regardless.

Have a lovely week, everyone - I've got 7 years of content to catch up on. :blush:

hs0klp92ue7c.jpeg

“Mid-2017 Macs and newer”. Outright sleazy false advertisement. It should instead say Mid-2017-2020 Macs. Money is at stake. People are getting a temporary sense of excitement to play again while potentially spending money only to be shut down later. Someone here forked out over $700 to ZOS recently. They are not taking a path that’s the thing-we are being played and our pockets are literally paying the price for it. I spend money, I expect the correct value for it in return-it’s business.

They know ARM-based Mac users are a minority and can **** on us as they please. Someone else here mentioned that from a cost benefit analysis, it’s not worth for them to port ESO over. We shall see how long that cost benefit analysis lasts when all those intel-based Mac users upgrade.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 1:37PM
  • jsjem
    jsjem
    ✭✭✭
    Still need an official announcement that if ESO will still be playable on Arm-Based macs. Don't want to waste money and time on the game that may be unplayable tomorrow. It is unacceptable that this situation just happened at the end of the crown sales week, moreover until now, there is still no clear official response. They didn't say they find a problem and try to solve it, they just say "discussing this issue internally", discuss how to solve it, or should ignore it and abandon most mac players?

WOW just when I was typing I got the response, really thank them for not letting me keep waiting and wasting more time on this game. https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52307
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    jsjem wrote: »
    Still need an official announcement that if ESO will still be playable on Arm-Based macs. Don't want to waste money and time on the game that may be unplayable tomorrow. It is unacceptable that this situation just happened at the end of the crown sales week, moreover until now, there is still no clear official response. They didn't say they find a problem and try to solve it, they just say "discussing this issue internally", discuss how to solve it, or should ignore it and abandon most mac players?

WOW just when I was typing I got the response, really thank them for not letting me keep waiting and wasting more time on this game. https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52307

LOL yeah ok I’ll go shell out another $10-20 a month on cloud gaming such as Stadia (known for very poor performance) just to play their game on top of paying for ESO+. All cloud gaming requires a monthly sub after their free trial and since it’s a relatively new form of gaming, it’s got a lot of issues that need to be ironed out.

I can’t wait until majority of Mac users make the upgrade from intel-based Macs to ARM-based Macs. That should make them rethink their stance on porting ESO over. And if they don’t, then forget them. We don’t need no game by a developer who refuses to adapt to newer tech-that’s being cheap. That’s a game doomed to fail. At some point you have to spend money in order to make money. You would think this would be common sense to them-it’s not. Luckily they’re not the only devs out there and ESO is not the only game worthy of spending cold hard $ on.

I don’t have access to their pie charts of current players but how much are you willing to bet that all their Mac users (including the intel-based ones), make up at least 10% of their revenue? Their days are numbered as far as their stream of revenue from Mac users goes.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 1:57PM
  • gutterskunk
    gutterskunk
    Soul Shriven
    Whelp. What game should we move to? All other mmo’s feel so corny. Any good suggestions?
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Whelp. What game should we move to? All other mmo’s feel so corny. Any good suggestions?

WoW is still going strong even though I never played. I did play RuneScape growing up but it is super grindy. I think Guild Wars 2 just came back to mac and is now available on steam. POE is an online arpg still going strong and is getting a huge upgrade soon.

Either way, everyone can now can stop begging for a hot fix. I am uninstalling ESO tonight and probably going to start installing WoW. WoW currently offers a one month free trial too. #TheMoreYouKnow
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 2:33PM
  • LatentBuzzard
    LatentBuzzard
    ✭✭✭
    All cloud gaming requires a monthly sub after their free trial and since it’s a relatively new form of gaming, it’s got a lot of issues that need to be ironed out.

I'm not a fan of Stadia and wouldn't recommend it but this statement is wrong. Stadia does not require a subscription if you're happy to play in 1080p and without HDR / 5.1 surround sound. If you want to play in 4K though and want things like HDR / 5.1 surround sound then you do need the Pro subscription.

If you're happy to stick with 1080p though then you can buy the game on Stadia and play with no further Stadia subscription required.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    All cloud gaming requires a monthly sub after their free trial and since it’s a relatively new form of gaming, it’s got a lot of issues that need to be ironed out.

I'm not a fan of Stadia and wouldn't recommend it but this statement is wrong. Stadia does not require a subscription if you're happy to play in 1080p and without HDR / 5.1 surround sound. If you want to play in 4K though and want things like HDR / 5.1 surround sound then you do need the Pro subscription.

If you're happy to stick with 1080p though then you can buy the game on Stadia and play with no further Stadia subscription required.

It may of been a while since you’ve used Stadia.

wkne6ie20fxm.png
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 2:52PM
  • LatentBuzzard
    LatentBuzzard
    ✭✭✭

wkne6ie20fxm.png

You're misunderstanding Stadia so I'll try and make this as simple as possible. You do not need a Pro subscription to play on Stadia. You can buy a game on Stadia and play it without a Pro subscription.

If you want 4K, HDR or 5.1 surround sound then you can choose to get a Pro subscription but otherwise you do not need a Pro subscription to play on Stadia. Hopefully that's clear enough for you.
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO

WoW is still going strong even though I never played. I did play RuneScape growing up but it is super grindy. I think Guild Wars 2 just came back to mac and is now available on steam. POE is an online arpg still going strong and is getting a huge upgrade soon.

Either way, everyone can now can stop begging for a hot fix. I am uninstalling ESO tonight and probably going to start installing WoW. WoW currently offers a one month free trial too. #TheMoreYouKnow

LOTRO just ended all Mac support this summer. GW 2 too has ended Mac support in 2021. There is a market for a not wow MMORPG, eso could take this crown, il only...
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

wkne6ie20fxm.png

Ah ok I see now upon more digging. Couldn’t find what you were saying on their site anywhere. Alright so say you play ESO on stadia. Have you played it through Stadia before and tried it with max graphics too?

How is the performance for cloud gaming in general, especially for multiplayer?
    Edited by Nyseto on August 24, 2022 3:28PM
  • LatentBuzzard
    LatentBuzzard
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok I see now upon more digging. Couldn’t find what you were saying on their site anywhere. Alright so say you play ESO on stadia. Have you played it through Stadia before and tried it with max graphics too?

I have played a bit through Stadia using my phone on a 4G connection whilst travelling on a train and honestly I didn't have any performance issues. I'm not proponent of Cloud Gaming, nor am I a fan of Stadia but I'll still admit that Stadia's technology seems to work fairly well.

Performance seems to be OK in general but that's always going to be dependent on your particular setup so it's the sort of thing you need to try for yourself which you can do right now if you want for zero cost.

1. Create a Stadia account and sign up to the free one month Pro trial during the sign up process
    2. "Buy" the base ESO game on Stadia which is free as it comes free with a Pro membership (even the trial membership)
    3. Link ESO on Stadia to your Mac account via your ESO account page
    4. Cancel your one month Stadia Pro trial
    5. Continue trying out ESO on Stadia for the remainder of the Pro trial to see if you're happy with it

You can do all of this for free to see what you think of ESO on Stadia yourself.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

I have played a bit through Stadia using my phone on a 4G connection whilst travelling on a train and honestly I didn't have any performance issues. I'm not proponent of Cloud Gaming, nor am I a fan of Stadia but I'll still admit that Stadia's technology seems to work fairly well.

Performance seems to be OK in general but that's always going to be dependent on your particular setup so it's the sort of thing you need to try for yourself which you can do right now if you want for zero cost.

1. Create a Stadia account and sign up to the free one month Pro trial during the sign up process
    2. "Buy" the base ESO game on Stadia which is free as it comes free with a Pro membership (even the trial membership)
    5. Continue trying out ESO on Stadia for the remainder of the Pro trial to see if you're happy with it

You can do all of this for free to see what you think of ESO on Stadia yourself.

I am going to try it tonight and report back here. Right now I’m seeing it’s going for $5.99 which is still cheap and free to play ending Aug. 29.

r6ccac5qmuc8.png

The appeal of cloud gaming to me personally is not having to take up storage space.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I had issues with Mac performance in 2020 and bought a cheap windoze laptop for this and swtor. It's just less hassle.

ZOS won't address game mechanics technical dept, I realised right away they's never address this sort of issue so I suffer through windoze long enough to boot the games up.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    I'm not playing on Stadia, pro subscription or not...I'll just go get a cheap windows laptop and hope that it plays as smoothly as my Mac does
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Parallels is another option, I had to dial back the settings a bit but the windows client runs ok other than very long initial load times. I was getting 30-70 fps at 5120x1440 at high settings with FSR set to balanced on a 14" m1 max. I don't know if running ESO in a vm is sanctioned by ZoS tho.
  • ComfortablyDummb

I am going to try it tonight and report back here. Right now I’m seeing it’s going for $5.99 which is still cheap and free to play ending Aug. 29.

r6ccac5qmuc8.png

The appeal of cloud gaming to me personally is not having to take up storage space.

Don’t you have to start from scratch whenever you purchase the game on another platform?
  • LatentBuzzard
    LatentBuzzard
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t you have to start from scratch whenever you purchase the game on another platform?

As far as ESO goes, Stadia is not its own platform and it connects to the same PC servers that your Mac client connects to. If you link your Stadia account to your PC ESO account then when you connect via Stadia, you'll be playing on exactly the same account with access to everything held on that account. The only difference is that you're connecting via the Stadia client rather than the Mac or Windows clients.

• ComfortablyDummb

As far as ESO goes, Stadia is not its own platform and it connects to the same PC servers that your Mac client connects to. If you link your Stadia account to your PC ESO account then when you connect via Stadia, you'll be playing on exactly the same account with access to everything held on that account. The only difference is that you're connecting via the Stadia client rather than the Mac or Windows clients.

Awesome, thanks.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    -STADIA UPDATE-

I launched ESO for free and everything with Stadia under the Stadia Pro trial. The game is locked in at 30 FPS, you can change every other setting except for video settings in-game. I double checked to see if I had the 4K version selected in Stadia and it was selected. If you are used to playing this game on max settings (which I am), these graphic settings are low to medium at best. I've done some research and ZOS purposely locks the fps at 30 via Stadia.

Didn’t have any lag though and I guess it’s feasible. I get to free up 85GB of storage and there’s no load on the Mac.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 25, 2022 4:40AM
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    No addons, though
  • evolkerb14_ESO
    I can confirm that forcing an actual resolution (1440x900 in my case) allows ESO to work properly on my M1 MacBook Air. I do have some previously unseen performance issues, but that can be resolved by closing the launcher IMMEDIATELY after hitting the Play button.

In my case the Update 35 ran out of the box, probably because I've been using an app called SwitchResX for years. Like the Display app mentioned above, it allows you to force a resolution instead of using macOS's vague scaling mechanic. I'm also using macOS 12.5 (haven't applied 12.5.1 just yet.)
  • Aetnaria
    Aetnaria
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that forcing an actual resolution (1440x900 in my case) allows ESO to work properly on my M1 MacBook Air. I do have some previously unseen performance issues, but that can be resolved by closing the launcher IMMEDIATELY after hitting the Play button.

In my case the Update 35 ran out of the box, probably because I've been using an app called SwitchResX for years. Like the Display app mentioned above, it allows you to force a resolution instead of using macOS's vague scaling mechanic. I'm also using macOS 12.5 (haven't applied 12.5.1 just yet.)

Can confirm as well that, instead of going the External Display route, can do this to prevent crashes when clicking Play/Logging In. In System Preferences - Displays, change Resolution from Default for Display to Scaled, then change the icon below it from Default to More Space.
    3l2qgad2eifd.png
    apg45v4l6ygt.png
    9wfro0nectd7.png
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Aetnaria wrote: »

Can confirm as well that, instead of going the External Display route, can do this to prevent crashes when clicking Play/Logging In. In System Preferences - Displays, change Resolution from Default for Display to Scaled, then change the icon below it from Default to More Space.
    3l2qgad2eifd.png
    apg45v4l6ygt.png
    9wfro0nectd7.png

I use my Mac with that scaled display set to ‘more space’ by default ever since I got it and ESO still wouldn’t launch. M1 Pro 14 in.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 25, 2022 11:49AM
  • ComfortablyDummb

3l2qgad2eifd.png
    apg45v4l6ygt.png
    9wfro0nectd7.png

I use my Mac with that scaled display set to ‘more space’ by default ever since I got it and ESO still wouldn’t launch. M1 Pro 14 in.

Yup same, I’m guessing the resolution for the M1 air and the pro is a bit different.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    No addons, though

I’m a new player so I’ve never used add-ons except very briefly. Console players don’t have add-ons either so I guess it’s not that bad lacking add-ons imo.
  • Svartulv
    Svartulv
    ✭✭✭
    So, do we have any update from the development team?
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Svartulv wrote: »
    So, do we have any update from the development team?

Kind of. It’s either play on stadia or PC/intel-based mac. No hotfix
  • Aetnaria
    Aetnaria
    ✭✭

Yes, seems like there's a minimum resolution it will crash if under. If I scale down (larger text) instead of up (more space), it crashes for me. M1 Pro 16" here.