The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game won't launch on Mac since update.

• xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    OK, having the same issue....
    Yesterday (before today's update) everythings was working fine. Also the PTS was working for me....

After update, the client just does not start, even direct launch without launcher gives me the same error...
    Will try to reinstall but this is creepy.... Most funny thing is that the same game (from the same files) even does not run on Intel based Mac Pro....

Will post update after reinstall...
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    xPoisin wrote: »
    Most funny thing is that the same game (from the same files) even does not run on Intel based Mac Pro....

Could you provide the specs for the Intel-based Mac, when you can?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it is not a ARM-based issue?
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    Maxamoo wrote: »
    Perhaps it is not a ARM-based issue?

I sure hope not...sounds more and more like it's an update issue and not an ARM-based one.
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    Most funny thing is that the same game (from the same files) even does not run on Intel based Mac Pro....

Macbook Pro 2020 13, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, OS Monterey 12.5.1
    - yesterday everything was running fine, after patch crashed 5-6 times, now reinstalling....
    - gives the same error as Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64GB RAM, OS Monterey 12.5.1
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭

Macbook Pro 2020 13, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, OS Monterey 12.5.1
    - yesterday everything was running fine, after patch crashed 5-6 times, now reinstalling....
    - gives the same error as Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64GB RAM, OS Monterey 12.5.1

For the Intel based Mac the problem is solved by reinstalling the game, so far it is running... Will see how long...
    Also got message from my friend that resseting all settings (just delete all the config files in Documents) should have helped them to run the game after update...

For the M1 I am still downloading the installer (I have slower internet at home than in serverhouse).
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Thank so much xPoisin for posting, please let us know how your M1 does after re-installation.

For the not very techy person here, how exactly do you find all your config files to delete?
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    Is that for the Intel-based Macs or the ARM-based Macs? I'm not sure how to delete config files, either. Will that cause us to lose all of our settings and addon configurations, as well?
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just ran the repair in the installer (small gear icon labelled game options). Was able to run client successfully after the repair process completed. Looks like ESO on ARM Macs lives to see another day, hopefully.
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    So definitelly it is an ARM based MAC issue. Full reinstall (with deletion of all files including logs, hidden files, system logs and predefs) doesn't help. Will test some other but the problem with exception is still the same...

Maxamoo wrote: »
    Thank so much xPoisin for posting, please let us know how your M1 does after re-installation.

For the not very techy person here, how exactly do you find all your config files to delete?

In Documents folder you can find Zenimax folder for ESO. In this folder just open "live" and delete everything except addons folder... That should reset your client to default settings...

this article could help also >
    https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/7288
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    I just ran the repair in the installer (small gear icon labelled game options). Was able to run client successfully after the repair process completed. Looks like ESO on ARM Macs lives to see another day, hopefully.

Wait...you got it to work?!
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    tried... doesn't solve the issue for me... on 14" MB Pro M1 Max, 64GB RAM with OS 12.5.1 it seems not to work... will switch to that idiotic windows on parallels again till my subscription ends and then bye bye microsoft loving ESO....

Everything else is working but this game doesn't, maybe it is time to start something else, especially something not even getting around Microsoft and companies around....
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭
    Just came back to the game after an approx. 7-year hiatus, installed it on my Mac 24hrs ago (took a risk on buying it for my 14" MBP M1 Max 32GB/OS 12.5, based on good performance reports from users despite it needing Rosetta 2). Had just a couple of hours gameplay before the maintenance began. Now experiencing the same problem as all of you. Shattered! :heartbreak:
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Received a very disheartening response from my support ticket, which basically was a list of Macs which no longer can run the game (Would have loved to have seen that list BEFORE I purchased the game in February 2022!!) and the same explanation Gina gave. And then an "Oh well, bye."

Ironically, I received a Support survey in the next email. Really?!?!?

If anyone comes up with a work around, please post. Thanks so much!
  • Aetnaria
    Aetnaria
    ✭✭
    Worked fine yesterday morning. Today after the ESO update, crashes immediately upon clicking Play from the launcher. Running Apple M1 Max, 64 gigs RAM.
    Still crashes after removing Elder Scrolls Online folder from ~/Documents/
    Still crashes after using Repair option in Launcher
    Still crashes after removing and re-adding Launcher and ESO in System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Accessibility - Privacy

Uninstalled game, currently Reinstalling (which takes hours) but not hopeful.

There is a difference between not supporting the game and suddenly breaking it while stating no changes were made that would affect the Mac platform.
  • Maxamoo
    Maxamoo
    ✭✭
    Sorry Aetnaria, I feel your pain.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Alright alright...so let's say it IS an ARM-based issue. It was mentioned in 2020...I played last night on my ARM-based Mac...and yet just out of nowhere during a random update they finally decide to implement an announcement from 2 years ago without a notice since???
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 12:07AM
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Yes, just ran it again to be sure, working normally now after a repair here. 14" 32GB M1 Max MBPro, Monterey 12.5.1.
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭
    Nyseto wrote: »
    Alright alright...so let's say it IS an ARM-based issue. It was mentioned in 2020...I played last night on my ARM-based Mac...and yet just out of nowhere during a random update they finally decide to implement an announcement from 2 years ago without a notice since???

Two years ago, it would've been difficult to predict the success of the new architecture, and also budget constraints due to the world events would have reasonably dictated a lack of support for porting software. I would implore the team to review their stance on ARM-based machines, as the M1's have proven to be a significant breakthrough for Mac performance, and mine was running ESO on maximum graphical settings flawlessly as of last night (despite ESO not being M1 native!) so it is quite the surprise to go from 100% working to completely broken with one patch.

All that said, hopefully there's a quick fix that keeps us going a little longer. I was truly excited to get back into ESO after years of not having time to game.
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭
    Liliumme wrote: »

Two years ago, it would've been difficult to predict the success of the new architecture, and also budget constraints due to the world events would have reasonably dictated a lack of support for porting software. I would implore the team to review their stance on ARM-based machines, as the M1's have proven to be a significant breakthrough for Mac performance, and mine was running ESO on maximum graphical settings flawlessly as of last night (despite ESO not being M1 native!) so it is quite the surprise to go from 100% working to completely broken with one patch.

All that said, hopefully there's a quick fix that keeps us going a little longer. I was truly excited to get back into ESO after years of not having time to game.

Well said!
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Liliumme wrote: »

Damn right M1's have proven to be a significant breakthrough for Mac performance as I too, was running the game on maximum graphical settings flawlessly.

The thing is that even with the announcement 2 years ago, our ARM-based Macs were still able to run ESO. They didn't even give us a notice in the patch, we just got axed out of nowhere. It should of stopped working 2 years ago instead of today.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 12:20AM
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭

Yes, just ran it again to be sure, working normally now after a repair here. 14" 32GB M1 Max MBPro, Monterey 12.5.1.

I can't get it to work for me, despite repairing my install via the launcher...oh well, ZOS obviously doesn't care and I am just flabbergasted that they are so dismissive of such a sizeable chunk of their playerbase. The fact that they support the old architecture, but not the newer architecture is completely backwards to me. As the specs and minimum system requirements become more and more demanding, Mac users (both ARM and x86) eventually won't be able to play at all., which is just sad. I can't believe they are doing this all of a sudden and out of the blue with absolutely no warning or update notifications whatsoever.
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that interesting. I'm optimistic based on your results that a fix will be forthcoming - happy gaming to you. :smile:

[EDIT: I mentioned not having a Repair option in my client, however this has magically turned up after leaving the launcher open for a few minutes. Go figure. Fingers crossed it works for me too as we have almost identical setups...]
    Edited by Liliumme on August 23, 2022 12:26AM
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

I can't get it to work for me, despite repairing my install via the launcher...oh well, ZOS obviously doesn't care and I am just flabbergasted that they are so dismissive of such a sizeable chunk of their playerbase. The fact that they support the old architecture, but not the newer architecture is completely backwards to me. As the specs and minimum system requirements become more and more demanding, Mac users (both ARM and x86) eventually won't be able to play at all., which is just sad. I can't believe they are doing this all of a sudden and out of the blue with absolutely no warning or update notifications whatsoever.

The thing is that ARM-based Macs are able to handle the more demanding specs.
  • shaunculwell
    shaunculwell
    ✭✭

Yes, they are! What I meant was that we ARM-users (who own the newer, faster, and beefier Macs) can't even get on now and x86 users can...the older Macs can't be upgraded, so even the x86 architecture that is "supported" right now won't be able to play before too long simply because the minimum requirements have passed them by.
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭

Yes, they are! What I meant was that we ARM-users (who own the newer, faster, and beefier Macs) can't even get on now and x86 users can...the older Macs can't be upgraded, so even the x86 architecture that is "supported" right now won't be able to play before too long simply because the minimum requirements have passed them by.

True, true. Our only option is cloud gaming but cloud gaming requires another monthly sub AND it's still in the works as far as being a viable way to stream games. You need a very solid internet connection for it. Anyways, who the hell wants to pay an extra $10-20 a month for cloud gaming on top of ESO+? Not me. I could be spending that extra $ from a cloud gaming sub in the crown store and making ZOS richer, but I guess they don't want anymore profit.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 12:37AM
  • Jaclynn
    Jaclynn
    ✭✭✭
    Midni wrote: »
    I am also experiencing the exact same issue. I am currently running the tests on the game consultant for submitting the ticket. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that while it's running in the background, but the windows for the launcher and for the game consultant now seem to be unresponsive.

Having the same issue. Maybe it's a ToT conspiracy...lol

I'm on PC though, so not just Mac.
    Edited by Jaclynn on August 23, 2022 12:45AM
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."

PC/NA
    @Jaclynn
    GM "The Rogue's Bounty"
  • Nyseto
    Nyseto
    ✭✭✭
    Jaclynn wrote: »
    Midni wrote: »
    I am also experiencing the exact same issue. I am currently running the tests on the game consultant for submitting the ticket. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that while it's running in the background, but the windows for the launcher and for the game consultant now seem to be unresponsive.

Having the same issue. Maybe it's a ToT conspiracy...lol

Same here. I submitted the ticket view a different category with the intro stating this exact issue as to why I couldn't do it thru tech support. Select the feedback/bug option so it doesn't require you to attach a game consultant file in order to proceed.
    Edited by Nyseto on August 23, 2022 12:44AM
  • Liliumme
    Liliumme
    ✭✭✭

Just an update from me, I have what appears to be the same machine as above (14" 32GB M1 Max MBP) and the only difference was my OS version (I had 12.5 instead of 12.5.1). So after a repair on 12.5 was unsuccessful I updated the OS, ran the Repair tool again, and.... unfortunately it still crashes. :heartbreak:

Was worth a shot, though! Has it kept working for you so far?
    Edited by Liliumme on August 23, 2022 1:10AM
  • mrossum123
    mrossum123
    Soul Shriven
    yep the patch must up the game on Mac OS can't load game from launcher. it goes black like its going to start. I deleted the game stick. switch different internet twice nothing work. kmml8qkdxz7m.jpg