The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

While all the aforementioned backend work is still ongoing, including sourcing the new hardware for PC EU and console megaservers, we did want to share a couple changes coming to PvP that will be going into Update 35.

First, we’re implementing some tech that will allow us to easily activate special Battleground weekends, without requiring any server downtime to start or stop. The plan will be to feature a single game mode over several days and also grant 25% increased AP while participating.

Outside of these recurring Battleground features, we’re also planning to increase the amount of XP you can earn doing various types of PvP activities within Cyrodiil and Imperial City including killing monsters and other player characters, or completing quests in these areas.

We look forward to testing everything out in the next PTS cycle so we can officially kick these off once Update 35 launches.

A lot of the people I run with have 100 million + AP in the bank, and most are also over 1600 CP. So how is a small conditional AP buff or a little extra XP going to motivate (or satisfy) hardcore PvPers? Or is this just aimed at the folks who want minimum Alliance rank so they can get their Vigor and Caltrops for PvE?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just proves they were stringing us along for 6months :|. An XP bump is meaningless to a community mostly full of max level high CP players. This is nothing new or exciting, this does not increase engagement nor give meaningful rewards for the majority of the population in these pvp modes. Even bringing back the failed proc set tests for certain weekends would have been a better event idea than this. Especially when the original message used the wording "special rulesets or weekend events" many were hoping for much much more. This screams of laziness and apathy.

Do better ZOS, we are tired of this cycle of getting our hopes up and then being constantly disappointed.

@ZOS_Kevin Please relay our disappointment in this decision to the devs.
    Edited by SimonThesis on June 27, 2022 10:11PM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

While all the aforementioned backend work is still ongoing, including sourcing the new hardware for PC EU and console megaservers, we did want to share a couple changes coming to PvP that will be going into Update 35.

First, we’re implementing some tech that will allow us to easily activate special Battleground weekends, without requiring any server downtime to start or stop. The plan will be to feature a single game mode over several days and also grant 25% increased AP while participating.

Outside of these recurring Battleground features, we’re also planning to increase the amount of XP you can earn doing various types of PvP activities within Cyrodiil and Imperial City including killing monsters and other player characters, or completing quests in these areas.

We look forward to testing everything out in the next PTS cycle so we can officially kick these off once Update 35 launches.

A lot of the people I run with have 100 million + AP in the bank, and most are also over 1600 CP. So how is a small conditional AP buff or a little extra XP going to motivate (or satisfy) hardcore PvPers? Or is this just aimed at the folks who want minimum Alliance rank so they can get their Vigor and Caltrops for PvE?

Sounds like it's bait to lure in less experienced players to farm and call that content.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Sounds like it's bait to lure in less experienced players to farm and call that content.

Tbh, I just think the Developers are just so out of touch with the PvP community after alienating us for years. They really have no clue.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you say "developers" I think you are incorrect. I've worked in big companies like this and the decisions are coming from way higher up than the actual programmers. It's the bean-counters (management) that have people analyze all the financial data about the game. Then it's decided what to prioritize and where to invest the money the game is making. Obviously they prioritize the new content as selling it is what makes the company money. The bottom line is if PVP is not popular and won't even become popular should they fix it (lots of players probably won't come back because they've moved on to other games etc.) then the company won't spend the money to fix it. PVPers however all have to PVE to get gear and mats and make their PVP builds. We have to buy the new content too. Possibly in an even higher percentage than PVE players. But if the numbers aren't there they know their resources are better spent just making next year's content. This is a for-profit company and all decisions are made based on how to increase their income. Welcome to capitalism. If it were up to the programmers I'm sure they'd love to make a better PVP for ESO fans. If they ever do fix PVP it will be because someone high up the chain found a way to profit from it.
    Edited by malistorr on June 28, 2022 6:17PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An XP bump is meaningless to a community mostly full of max level high CP players. This is nothing new or exciting, this does not increase engagement nor give meaningful rewards for the majority of the population in these pvp modes.

Yeah, since it looks like they are resorting to simple "flip a switch" solutions to keep PvPers engaged, why not have designated weekends where Battle Spirit is turned off? Now that, I would log in to play! :D
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to write up a huge long post about the continual failure of PvP in ESO. I can sum it up with one word.

Bummer.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magio_ wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Tbh, I just think the Developers are just so out of touch with the PvP community after alienating us for years. They really have no clue.

It’s not even out of touch with just PvP. The card game and story being all there really is for an expansion shows they’re just out of touch with the player base entirely lol. It’s amazing to me with all the nonstop suggestions on the forums and needs/desired being displayed that they openly just go in different directions.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    I'm not going to write up a huge long post about the continual failure of PvP in ESO. I can sum it up with one word.

Bummer.

I know right. There's not really even anger left... Just immense disappointment.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not matter now, you can't come back from what has been done. A game I loved and enjoyed now makes me feel physically sick to try and enjoy it, which I can't even do. I am not saying this just to be negative, even if you fixed the game tommorow and made it how we wished it was all these years.. The repeated disregard on the things that are actually within your power to improve would make even the most stoic ESO pvper feel like they are falling into bed with a toxic ex partner, it makes you notice that you have become toxic too and its just not fun anymore no matter how you slice it.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin
    Is there any feedback available to address player concerns here before the next PTS / Patch goes live?
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4h0dbi4hqbsy.jpg

Seems they are committed to this. Such a shame, you think they would have maybe considered some feedback from the playerbase

This will do nothing to get people into PvP, and existing PvP players will not notice a difference.

Thank you for less than the bare minimum.
    Edited by FangOfTheTwoMoons on July 5, 2022 6:39PM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror

This is a response to Gina's post but from what I can tell you're the person responsible for this so I'll tag you.

I find it hard to believe that in 6 months you've been unable to source new hardware. I mean, this is a Microsoft live service. Microsoft. They're really big. But hey fair enough, we all know about the chip shortage etc.

You're implementing tech so you can end events without taking down servers? You already do this every fee weeks for your events. It's not hard.

Your big plan is battlegrounds events where only one mode is available.... do you really think this is a good idea? Do you not recall all the complaints the last time you did this and we only had deathmatch? At least Deathmatch was simple and couldnt really be exploited.

Telling people in advance that they're going into Crazy King or Chaosball is a terrible idea. We have builds that will exploit this and make the games farcical.

Increasing how much AP we get permanently is just flat out stupid. I'm sorry if that comes of as rude but it is. Theres no need to articulate that with any word other then stupid. Because that's what it is. Stupid.

You had six months to come up with some ideas for pvp. To try and make this game more fun.

And all you could think of was "earn more ap and only have one mode available in battlegrounds". That's it? That's all you could come up with?
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Devs, please understand that
    @ZOS_Kevin
    Is there any feedback available to address player concerns here before the next PTS / Patch goes live?
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Ask and you shall receive.*
    *No PvPer Need Apply.

The silence is disappointing. Can anyone at ZOS just sit and actually talk to people? It's literally like trying to talk to a machine on the phone with automated responses.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4h0dbi4hqbsy.jpg

I can't wait for the next broken Dark Convergence / Plaguebreak type idea. My guess is it will be some sort of anti-Oakensoul set. IE: "Increase your weapon and spell damage by X percent for each Major buff your enemy has" or something like that.

Edited by Jaraal on July 5, 2022 7:55PM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    4h0dbi4hqbsy.jpg

I can't wait for the next broken Dark Convergence / Plaguebreak type idea. My guess is it will be some sort of anti-Oakensoul set. IE: "Increase your weapon and spell damage by X percent for each Major buff your enemy has" or something like that.

Oak Convergence. Pulls targets in and automatically disables their current weapon bar for 60 seconds
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    You're implementing tech so you can end events without taking down servers? You already do this every fee weeks for your events. It's not hard.

Actually, now that I think of it - I think this could hit the nail directly on the head. I've voiced on other posts about how it absolutely does not require months of work to whip something up to make the XP event changes hot-swappable. HOWEVER, it *would* make sense if they were working on a more generic system that allows them to switch ANY event on and off without having to take servers down.

Now assuming it actually is the case that they are working on such a system I can't say I'd fault them for it. But to hide it as a 'look we are making this cool new thing for PvPers!' while actually using that time and energy to actually create something that only peripherally affects PvP when in fact it's really just for the benefit maintenance in general... well. Let's just say I wouldn't find that too far-fetched.

Edited by Sluggy on July 5, 2022 9:25PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sluggy wrote: »

Actually, now that I think of it - I think this could hit the nail directly on the head. I've voiced on other posts about how it absolutely does not require months of work to whip something up to make the XP event changes hot-swappable. HOWEVER, it *would* make sense if they were working on a more generic system that allows them to switch ANY event on and off without having to take servers down.

Now assuming it actually is the case that they are working on such a system I can't say I'd fault them for it. But to hide it as a 'look we are making this cool new thing for PvPers!' while actually using that time and energy to actually create something that only peripherally affects PvP when in fact it's really just for the benefit maintenance in general... well. Let's just say I wouldn't find that too far-fetched.

But they can already do this. Events almost always begin on Thursdays, when we never have regular downtime, and end on Tuesdays, when there is sometimes downtime but not always (and almost never simultaneously across platforms).

It can't be the case that downtime is required to start or stop an event right now.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

But they can already do this. Events almost always begin on Thursdays, when we never have regular downtime, and end on Tuesdays, when there is sometimes downtime but not always (and almost never simultaneously across platforms).

It can't be the case that downtime is required to start or stop an event right now.

Fair enough then. I only pop in for maybe an hour or so a month nowadays so I'm not really up-to-date on that stuff. Used to be that events always had some downtime beforehand. If that is the case then I rescind my conspiracy-theory suggestion above and restore my previous one of 'Seriously?! 8 Months to figure out to multiply two numbers together?!'

Edited by Sluggy on July 6, 2022 12:44AM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay I'll try and be constructive here. What we want.....
    -some idea when the other servers are getting the upgrade.
    -new game modes akin to Battlegrounds.
    -new battlegrounds maps. You haven't given us any for 3 years!
    -a new weapon or something akin to Voldenrung.
    -some real changes to the existing Cyrodiil map to shake things up.
    -a proper pvp focused dlc akin to the Imperial City. Do it as an end of year dlc.
    -campaign rewards that are worth a damn. The guy who put in 100 hours and earned 5 million AP shouldn't get less rewards then I did playing 10 hours I did on 5 different toons that hit 100k ap. And not rubbish like "treasures", scrolls or style pages. An example of something good would be gold upgrade mats since you expect us to respec at least twice a year.
    -optional in game voice chat on PC. Expecting to everyone who joins a pug to also join a discord server is just crazy.
    -fix the voice chat on console so I'm not listening to other random groups chats. Its creepy stupid
    -stop enemy players using your in game messaging system to abuse me in Cyrodiil and, especially- battlegrounds. I'm sick of getting hate mail.
    Edited by FluffWit on July 6, 2022 1:15AM
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not going to complain here, because they did accidentally fix most of the horrific lag which meant people came back after their 8 month hiatus. Pvp is faster, healers cannot save stupid as much and combinations of gear and skills are evolving with stam/magic options that weren't there before.

The purple sucky pool still sucks but people are fighting more sml man style and the skill level seems to have leapt up from the zerg life -unless you are the AD night time horde which Godzilla would die to. And no one cares that Ad (mostly) remain a skill-less horde.

Expecting Zos to have ideas of how to fix pvp three years into the process is a touch naive. It Won't Happen. But they might accidentally buy nice things that make the crappy stuff less problematic? Buy stuff, plug it in -good plan.

In terms of making pvp fresh -if we look at pve - it's still carbon copies of concepts 7 yrs old. They swapped dolmens for geysers. Big thinking. I think back around 2017 someone suggested rotating new maps each month? Maybe in 2022, they could figure that out?

But I came here in the hope we can drunkenly afk on someone's mount now? Yes? No? :P
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4h0dbi4hqbsy.jpg

Quite accurate, Jaraal. See Nocturna’s Ploy.

As someone mentioned above: Pvp (and all other) impactful decisions at zos are made by people who don’t play the game.

Update 35 seems like a pure pitch to the revenue growth team. “We’re going to monetize and expand by attracting new customers with improved accessibility.”

Only it’s now less accessible (lower dps= you can’t advance to the next content level) and more simplistic/boring gameplay.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the truth was even funnier: A pro-oakensoul set! Wear oakensoul or run in a large group with lots of DKs and Wardens giving you the buffs you can no longer keep up yourself.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the truth was even funnier: A pro-oakensoul set! Wear oakensoul or run in a large group with lots of DKs and Wardens giving you the buffs you can no longer keep up yourself.

Yeah, that's a real shocker. Not selling enough Oakensouls, so let's make a set that will force people to wear it.
  • JDredd
    JDredd
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the update. Please remove the XP part and increase IC tel vars and key frag we get to maybe 3X. This way lot of people will enjoy the event which most of PvPers have not for a long time now.

Thank you and appreciate all the effort.
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Good thing i started working on a pvp build today. Been PvE my whole eso life but weekend events sound good. You should make them double xp events so more people actually give pvp a try.
    Edited by nb_rich on August 11, 2022 5:26AM
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this issue I noticed is related to servers, but in pvp the game sometimes does not register when I press a button when playing on PS5. I pay for the fastest internet That can be bought where I live and have my playstation connected directly to my wifi box.

Its frustrating because so many people go invisible then pop up behind me and do like 3-4 hits and im dead lol. If I could actually heal when I need to id be able to kill those guys so easily because they never have any defense or health since they rely on killing you with there combo. It kind of ruins PvP to be honest and should remove the going invisible thing as a whole.
    nb_rich
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed about the performance issue. I have many more problems than you do on Xbox NA even when hardwired into half-gig fiber.

Regarding nightblades: They are nerfing at least some of the NB ability to do their kill-combo from behind/stealth by nerfing the Caluurion set next update. There will still be another set or 2 that are about as good for burst though. As far as them getting rid of stealth I'd say good luck. Slot a skill like inner light or use detect pots. And have enough defense to be able to survive. Those are your counter-plays. If you choose not to use them or improve your build you'll continue to die. It is what it is.

I am a bow KB and the only way I can kill people from behind/stealth is if they have no more than 27kish health and also low resistances and if I get off my combo perfectly and they are slow to react. The only exception is really bad players who don't know how to block if I also hit them with my bow ult. Most of the time when I attack good players in this way I don't kill them as they do have higher health, do block, and do have good resistances. Stealth is really the only thing nightblades have going for them. Bow-ganking was nerfed into the ground a while back and as you said for a nightblade to be able to kill someone like this they have to go full glass-cannon and are very squishy and easy to kill.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    can we have more info about "increase XP in pvp area" ?
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    can we have more info about "increase XP in pvp area" ?
    I'm surprised this is an issue for even a single PvP player :)
    But anyway - from 8.1.0:

Increased XP granted from killing monsters and player characters in Cyrodiil and Imperial City by 10%.
    Increased XP granted from completing quests in Cyrodiil, Imperial City and Battlegrounds by 10%.
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD