Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fishing Bugs (Unofficial Fishing Issues Thread)

Turelus
Turelus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I wanted to have a single thread listing all the issues and bugs found related to the fishing mini-game in ESO.

While I know this isn't the most vital fix needed for ESO right now (and I do believe quests, bots and exploits come first) I wanted to give the community members who enjoy fishing and have noticed issues with it a place post in.

Please feel free to discuss issues or random events found while fishing but keep this thread on topic in regards to bugs with fishing.

Known Issues:
  • It's currently possible to catch rare fish from the Rift while fishing in Auridon.
  • Some zones might be missing water types required to catch rare fish. The following have been reported; Alik'r river nodes, Auridon foul nodes and Reaper's march ocean nodes. Note that fish with missing water types can be found in other nodes.

Fixed Issues
  • Bangkorai achievement fish list has fish with entire lower-case names and lists Morid Cod twice. Fixed in 1.1.2
  • It's possible to catch a Stinkfish rare fish from Stonefalls foul water nodes, this fish is listed as being from Wrothgar. Fixed in 1.1.2 - Stinkfish is now a Stonefalls fish and the achievement in Stonefalls is obtainable.
  • Achievements page doesn't follow an organised or logical order. Fixed in unknown patch.
  • Rare fish are not moved to the inventory when caught. Fixed in 1.3.3
  • Starter island achievements can't be earned. Fixed in 1.3.3
  • Coldharbour green fish are not marked off achievement when caught due to the achievement still using rare green fish from Reapers March. Fixed in 1.4.3

Helpful Fishing Information
Spreadsheet for fish types and locations.
Fishing cheat sheet / quick water guide.
Edited by Turelus on October 28, 2014 11:48AM
@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
"Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    lol.. crickets......

I am working on an add/on that will at least notify you when you have caught a rare fish. Currently the only way to do this is by having AutoLoot turned off, which is a pain. I have it working where you can set the AutoLoot option to off, the addon searches the loot, and if it's a rare, then pops up a window with the rare caught, as well as notifies you in your chat window, and then loots everything, so it essentially does the AutoLoot for you, but will at least notify you when a rare has been caught.

As far as rares actually being an item in your inventory. I am ok with that idea, as long as the rare has no value. Give rares a value, or for that matter, make fishing something that is a valid way to earn gold, and you will have fishing bots running everywhere. Clearly ZOS is having a hard time managing bots. Public dungeons are totally ruined by bots right now. The last thing I want is a reason for bots to invade the fishing world.

The other issues (start island achievements, Bangkorai etc.), will be fixed in time, but I am sure they are very low priority right now (and should be) until ZOS addresses other issues.

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @elblobbob14_ESO please let us know if that add-on gets completed and feel free to post the link here, I will update the first post to give a link for those interested in using it.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Will do. have all the functionality working now, just trying to get a decent looking UI that isn't a waste of space.
  • Replies_With_Gifs
    I hope these issues get fixed soon, because I get some of those above issues too sometimes.
  • Lausanna
    Lausanna
    - It's possible to catch a Stink Fish rare fish from Stonefalls foul water nodes, this fish is listed as being from Wrothgar.

I caught a Stinkfish in Stonefalls, but it doesn't register anywhere in the fishing achievements. It is not listed anywhere, and I don't even have a section for Wrothgar.
  • Hotrockets
    Hotrockets
    Soul Shriven
    I currently have a problem fishing in general. As soon as I get a nibble, I press E to reel in and nothing happens except I stop fishing, no loot window, no used bait or anything. the cast just stops and it happens quite frequently. Currently have only tested river waters.
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    @elblobbob14_ESO please let us know if that add-on gets completed and feel free to post the link here, I will update the first post to give a link for those interested in using it.

I've updated the Add/On (link below). It's much cleaner, and actually is useful (at least to me :) ). I am holding off tracking rare fish count, water type, and location as there are some upcoming changes to fishing on the test server that will impact all that, and hopefully make all this a lot easier.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info261-ElBlobbosTackleBoxRevised..StillBeta.html

• Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use add on proggies but I will post that fishing is broken. I have caught several rare fish and they never hit my inventory or apply to the achievements. Each time this happens I report it in game to support with screenshots so they can see where I am and what fishing hole I was using.
  • Vhalkyrie
    Vhalkyrie
    ✭✭✭
    I caught a couple of blue fish and was baffled when I couldn't find it anywhere in my inventory. Was this intended to be the equivalent of catching a trophy and throwing it back? I also didn't get any achievements.

I hadn't thought about the potential for abuse with fishing bots. Arg.
    Edited by Vhalkyrie on April 30, 2014 11:39AM
  • KittyMauge
    I don't think rare fish are suppoused to be items, they do unlock the achievement progress under fishing in each areas.

It would be nice if they were items, for they are valuable in cash ;3
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had heard that there was talks in beta of fishing being a bigger thing in ESO with the chance to unlock new rods, use fish caught in Provisioning and even a skill line for it.
    It seems it might have been put to the back to get other more vital areas of the game developed first.

I hope they can at least get a patch out to let us have the rare fish appear in our inventory, or fix the broken achievements such as Bleakrock.
    I don't really think the fish are broken or over valued as you can make more gold killing mobs of your level and selling the white/green items they drop, as for botting being used to fish it's possible but with fishing holes despawning after a number of uses it's probably not the most viable botting option for their income.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleackrock rare fish achievement is still not obtainable when catching the fish.

Patch 1.1.2 listed.
    Fishing
    • Fixed several issues with Fishing Achievements, including text errors, duplicate fish, tooltip information, and making unattainable Fishing Achievements achievable.
    • Fish no longer have a level requirement.
    • Fish now have category icons based on their type and water source.
    • High level cloth harvest nodes can now drop bugs for bait, similar to lower level nodes.
    • You will no longer lose your fishing rod after you’re done fishing.

Does the first bullet point not relate to this issue? :(
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated to opening post to reflect changes made by ZOS.
    Any news on when the starter island achievements will be obtainable or when we will be able to collect the rare fish into our inventories?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing in Coldharbour and caught a green rarity fish named Plasm Darter which is listed as a Collectible rather an a Trophy and not listed on the achievement for Coldharbour. Fish was from foul water near Daedroth Larder.

Edit
    Same with the green rarity fish Venomfish.

Edit2
    Seems like all green rarity fish in Coldharbour are broken right now.
    Edited by Turelus on May 30, 2014 11:42PM
  • DrOrpheus
    DrOrpheus
    ✭✭
    Just caught a venomfish and some fish starting with B in coldharbour, both turned into slaughterfish after i pulled them out.
  • purgatorywolf_ESO
    Fish now have category icons based on their type and water source.
    What? Where? I've not notice anything different on the fish I catch.. Or in the achievement window, or inventory screen.....
    ~*~Some people are like slinkies. Completely useless, but it makes you smile to push them down the stairs. ~*~
  • purgatorywolf_ESO
    Ilinalta Trout; which is listed as a fish from the Rift, was caught at the same time I caught a Sturgeon in Auridon. It also marked it off my Rift Angler list.

yu8oh76arg1u.jpg

Zebra Oto; which is listed as a fish from the Rift, was caught at the same time I caught a Mudfish in Auridon. It also marked it off my Rift Angler list. And again with a Barbel, and then a Sturgeon.

8eyfbx4mfbwy.jpg

Ice Koi; which is listed as a fish from the Rift, was caught at the same time I caught a Mudfish in Auridon. It also marked it off my Rift Angler list. And again with a Barbel.

ch1bmip5ppju.jpg

Edited by purgatorywolf_ESO on June 3, 2014 7:17PM
    ~*~Some people are like slinkies. Completely useless, but it makes you smile to push them down the stairs. ~*~
  • purgatorywolf_ESO
    -double post sorry
    Edited by purgatorywolf_ESO on June 3, 2014 6:44PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated main post with issues notified in the thread, thank you @purgatorywolf_ESO for the Rift information.
  • purgatorywolf_ESO
    Turelus wrote: »
    Updated main post with issues notified in the thread, thank you @purgatorywolf_ESO for the Rift information.

I was fishing in Auridon, and while in that lake, I would catch a Rare for Auridon, and at the same time a rare for the Rift.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been catching rares but the same bug is present for me. They count towards the achievements but are not in my inventory.
  • DrOrpheus
    DrOrpheus
    ✭✭
    I also managed to catch the rare fish for the achievement in bleak rock, and it turned into a minnow, no achievement or anything. im just going to stop fishing until this gets addressed.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @purgatorywolf_ESO thanks, sorry I didn't read it carefully enough. Updated a bit more clearly now.
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    I've been catching rares but the same bug is present for me. They count towards the achievements but are not in my inventory.
    The thing about them not showing up in your inventory probably isn't a bug. As Turelus stated they are marked as Collectible and not Trophy. It is feasible that in the future we'll have some sort of display (be it in the inventory or elsewhere) for these 'collectibles'.
    DrOrpheus wrote: »
    Just caught a venomfish and some fish starting with B in coldharbour, both turned into slaughterfish after i pulled them out.
    Here's a list of all the green rares in Coldharbour (I caught them all):
    • Blue Slimefish
    • Bichir
    • Cavefish
    • Harbour Gar
    • Plasm Darter
    • Azure Eel
    • Fang Shark
    • Venomfish
    Though the achievement still uses the green rares from Reaper's March.

Not sure what you mean by "turned into slaughterfish", I assume you mean you had one more of them in your inventory after 'looting' the rare green.
    DrOrpheus wrote: »
    I also managed to catch the rare fish for the achievement in bleak rock, and it turned into a minnow, no achievement or anything. im just going to stop fishing until this gets addressed.
    This is very sad to hear as it means I still won't be able to get the Master Angler achievement/title. And I'm running out of other fish to catch, only six more. :(

So the irregularities that I too noticed have remained (already reported here):
    • Morid Cod is still listed twice for Bangkorai, the second one should be Swai (a salt water green rare).
    • You'll still catch rares from The Rift when fishing in Auridon (specifically, when catching a lake rare).
    • The achievement for Coldharbour still uses the green rares from Reaper's March.
    Edited by Kyoma on June 6, 2014 12:07AM
    Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Kyoma! Awesome post with some information I wasn't aware of.
    I hadn't realised Coldharbour was using Reaper's March, should have check more into that. :P
  • DrOrpheus
    DrOrpheus
    ✭✭
    That explains why i couldn't find that fish starting with B in the coldharbour list. And i also managed to catch the pyradorean(sp?) day in khenarthi's roost today, still no achievement for blue fish :( At least green fish in deshaan and eastmarch tracked right for me, seeing blue fish though and having nothing happen really stings.
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Hotrockets wrote: »
    I currently have a problem fishing in general. As soon as I get a nibble, I press E to reel in and nothing happens except I stop fishing, no loot window, no used bait or anything. the cast just stops and it happens quite frequently. Currently have only tested river waters.

I'm still having this bug and my guess is that you try to reel in a rare fish and it bugs out. Looking at the frequency it's happening and at the frequency I normally catch rare fish it would match.

EP here and having this that I can recall

Deshaan foul water fish at the waterfall (only foul water hole I know in Deshaan)
    All lake fish holes in the Rift.

The zones are layered so catching fish from another zone too could be linked to holes being linked for 2 zones.

Coldharbour still bugged for me and I don't get any achievements from the rare fish I catch.
    Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
    Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
  • sweetsapling
    Hello fellow fishermen and -women!
    Nice lot of tips here, I have a few more to add.
    Some devoted guy made this nice spreadsheet, albeit not quite correct it's still very usefull: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLYOLGKV7WYYa03WhPylV2mKtv7L9xzcyiyeU5TUvOI/edit?pli=1#gid=0
    EDIT: Kyoma has made an improved version of the spreadsheet, with info collected from players here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/195fJ7bK4hkXYgncC4Dpp6FIZqKAr5M6wEg7yaIjfoVA/edit?pli=1#gid=0

- A few discoveries I've made: In Auridon there's no foul water, but the 3 foul fish can be caught in the other 3 waters; one in each. B)
    -This exception from the "rule" also applies to Reaper's March where there's no ocean hole.
    -The notes from patch 1.1.2 still don't apply; only "High level cloth harvest nodes can now drop bugs for bait, similar to lower level nodes" is an ingame fact.
    - If you've just caught a rare fish or a wet gunny bag, switch your bait to the "finer kind" (roe, chub etc) - I seem to get a good shot at catching a rare, whenever I do this (can't back it up statistically, it's just a gut feeling!)
    -
    It would really be nice if someone from Zenimax would care to comment on the state of fishing, preferably in this thread - if only to let us know, that they haven't all forgotten about us :'(

Keep your boots dry and your guts up, fishermen of Tamriel!
    Edited by sweetsapling on June 15, 2014 11:05PM
    Epitaph: Here lies Lester Moore
    graffiti underneath: No Les No Moore