Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

A response on communications

• Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, thanks so much for taking the time to write up so much great feedback here, and apologies it took a while to reply (something something about Global Reveal prep...). This whole thing started on my personal Twitter account as it was originally intended to be a broad discussion about communication in general within the games industry, but eventually morphed into a conversation about ESO specifically. Which is fine. But just wanted to clear up why this started on Twitter.

We've had some initial conversations amongst our team to discuss ways to improve communication across the board and some different things we could try. While it's still a bit too early to get into details here, we are doing our best to figure out how to get more information on both the forums and website rather than limiting much of it to social media and/or livestreams. While these avenues are great for some things, we recognize it's not always ideal. Information should be readily available without having to search for its source or needing to dig around for an answer. As was mentioned above, it can be pretty difficult to keep track of multiple platforms and while it's a blessing we live in a time when there are so many ways to consume information, it can also be pretty overwhelming.

As a first step, you may have noticed we posted the Q1 in-game event graphic here on the forums in addition to our social channels. Moving forward, we're going to try to err on the side of redundancy. This is going to be a process and while it's safe to assume there will still be times when some information will be posted just on social (for example, a bunch of live tweets going out in tandem with our event this Thursday) rest assured we are actively looking at ways to improve.

Thanks, as always, for the ongoing support!

Thanks for clearing things up, it's appreciated.

I don't think anyone faults you for having "industry discussion" on your personal Twitter. It certainly wasn't my intent to call that out as a negative. People were asking you to post that discussion here because we can really get into details here provided our posts aren't edited. That and it's a discussion many of us have wanted for a long time.

From an optics perspective, I think it helps to address the game community you represent first - especially when communication is a historical pain point for many of the community. Of course it's going to morph into something about ESO. Everyone knows it's a problem.

Honestly, it's just vexing that you guys are still figuring out how to communicate with us this far into the game's life. It makes supporting the game hard. It really does. Of course we welcome any improvement, but it feels like this discussion has been started and stopped so many times. I get that it's an ongoing process, but it doesn't feel like anything major has improved in years (in terms of ZOS communication).

That being said I think there's a few things you can do to clear things up and improve the relationship between ZOS and the community.
    1. Tell us who does what. We all know you're the CM Gina, but it honestly feels like most of your focus is on sales comms. For many of us with jobs in IT, consulting, marketing, etc., we see more of the business drivers than "deliverables" us players can consume. It's frustrating because players want you or even folks above you to see certain feedback. So we tag you and 8/10 times it's not replied to. We all get you have job constraints, but I think those constraints need to be communicated. We need to know who to go to exchange feedback. In my experience, Kevin's a champ who does most of that communication. I don't think it's fair to put that on one person.
    2. Address the hesitance. It's common knowledge how Rich feels about these forums. On one of his streams, he admitted as such and how he "doesn't blame" his employees if they don't come here. That has to change. Kevin can't handle technical communication the way a developer can. We're not going to get anywhere if someone who knows the system can't - or won't - speak to the problem. If you or Kevin have competing priorities on top of it, how can we expect developers to get feedback? I get it's challenging to deal with toxic players and conflicting requests, but it's felt like ZOS has thrown the baby out with the bath water on communications.
    3. Stop avoiding the hard questions and feedback. I've seen this on your Twitter, on Rich's streams, and in historical interviews - it all too often feels like you guys want your vision confirmed and nothing else. It's just not realistic, and ultimately good for the game. Developers need to be challenged. PTS feedback needs to be engaged. People need to voice their opinions. We all want what's good for the game, we all want this to be the top dog MMO. It won't improve if you don't let us tell you how.
    4. Stop making decisions in a vacuum. Just by your post above, you guys are exploring ways forward internally. I get that some things need to be internal decisions, but how to talk with your players honestly shouldn't be one of them. That's why myself and others wanted to pull this here - because we want our thoughts and needs to be considered when you talk to us. If it's not, it's just a one-sided exchange at that point. There needs to be exploratory discussions started and maintained by ZOS employees here and on Reddit to figure this out. Your tweet was a good bulkhead, and I think it shows some thought processes. But if you take a step back, you'll see how different is from the community. That's a gap you have to bridge.
    5. Here first. Players are obviously thirsty for insight into what's going on - just look at how many people started flocking to Rich's streams. Twitter's great for hyping up events and releases (excited for tomorrow by the way) but announcements and explanations need to be here first. It's been said here before, but this is official forum, please treat it as such.

I respect that you're willing to err on the side of redundancy. I think that's a step in the right direction. Hopefully another year doesn't pass and we're having this conversation again because that's the precedence that's been set. A lot of games enjoy warm relationships between the developers and the players, this game deserves no less and I hope we get there.
    Edited by Destai on January 26, 2022 8:49PM
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am 71 years old. It is a choice not to have a cell phone, ipad ot twitter account. I have been banned by Facebook, which is a badge of honor as far as I am concerned.

If you are communicating outside the game, I don't see it.
  • TaMmEh
    TaMmEh
    ✭✭✭
    Hurbster wrote: »
    I don't do twitter. How much info have I been missing out on?

Same here.. And Im now wondering the same thing :|
    PC - NA Server - Evanora of the East - DPS Templar 1401CP
    PC - NA Server - Mallechi - DPS Nightblade
    Xbox One - NA Server - DPS Nightblade
  • Gelmir
    Gelmir
    ✭✭✭
    I am 71 years old. It is a choice not to have a cell phone, ipad ot twitter account. I have been banned by Facebook, which is a badge of honor as far as I am concerned.

If you are communicating outside the game, I don't see it.

Almost the same here (minus ban part on Facebook, I am banned on Twitter :D )
    Check-out ~~ GuildPlanner.Pro ~~ Your Ultimate Guild & Character Management Tool
    ★ Lodge of Sorceresses [PC/EU] - LF Serious PvEers: Midgame to Endgame Growth! ★ We NEED You! | Join Discord Server | Youtube Channel
  • DuckFayth
    DuckFayth
    ✭✭✭
    I know this thread has come up with some great feedback about communication so I want to throw in something that came to my attention today with the players' ability to communicate on the forums themselves.

tldr; Getting an account on the forums to provide feedback is unintuitive and causes a barrier to including more voices.

For example: Today I had very productive discussion with many like minded individuals and we came up with what I believed was a great solution to the problem some people saw with Account Wide Achievements. I posted on the forums and encouraged others to do the same to bring attention to it. Most of them gave up just trying to sign up for an account.

I've been a member on the forums for a very long time so I had no memory or idea of just how to walk them through the process and as I got to watch the struggle, I suddenly understood why many people don't participate here. Most of us, myself included, had no idea you need to go hunt down an obscure location to request an invite. There is not a way to sign up easily visible on the home page of the forums, even when you click "Sign In".

Proposed Solution: When clicking "Sign In" on the home page and you're prompted with entering your credentials, add a "request an invite" link or "how to request an invite" FAQ link to the bottom of the window. This option could also be added directly next to the "Sign In" option on the home page. This does not exist in current state.
  • Onomog
    Onomog
    ✭✭✭
    DuckFayth wrote: »
    *snip*

tldr; Getting an account on the forums to provide feedback is unintuitive and causes a barrier to including more voices.

*snip*

Proposed Solution: When clicking "Sign In" on the home page and you're prompted with entering your credentials, add a "request an invite" link or "how to request an invite" FAQ link to the bottom of the window. This option could also be added directly next to the "Sign In" option on the home page. This does not exist in current state.

Could not agree more with this. I've only recently figured out how to get an account on the forums and it was not obvious. At all.

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Gen
    Onomog wrote: »
    DuckFayth wrote: »
    *snip*

*snip*

Could not agree more with this. I've only recently figured out how to get an account on the forums and it was not obvious. At all.

I got mine quite a while ago. I don't recall it being hard at all, but then I have been on other MMO forums before.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Onomog
    Onomog
    ✭✭✭
    I got mine quite a while ago. I don't recall it being hard at all, but then I have been on other MMO forums before.

When I went to the sign in page for the forums, I assumed I would use my regular account credentials. When that didn't work, there was nothing on that page to point me in the right direction. I had to resort to Google to find out that you need an invitation to create an account, and the only way to get an invitation was to submit a ticket. It took a day for a response to the ticket.

If they want player engagement on the forums they need to do a better job than that for an account creation process.

(edit for spelling)
    Edited by Onomog on January 28, 2022 10:31PM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they want player engagement on the forums they need to do a better job than that for an account creation process.

(edit for spelling)

That's the small fix

The big fix is having a "forum" button in the game startup once you've logged in. Oddly very few games do a decent job of that.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • MilitiaMasterV

Same. When I went to sign on here, and post about an issue, it took me 3 MONTHS to figure it out/and get a reply to my 'ticket sent for forum access' (Not sure if whoever is dealing with those is just dropping the ball or what, I believe I had to click to send it 3 times before anyone ever sent one.), and by that point, I'd long since forgotten the reason I originally came on here, so I never posted and that's why when I did finally have something to address on here I had a 'soul shriven' tag, and it looked like I was a noob even though I'd been playing for nearly 2 years (Almost 1k CP) and never had a reason to come on here and say anything else (Had read a thread about stamblades and almost commented, but they were addressing more of the PvP aspect and I don't PvP so I didn't end up posting in there). The assumption that because we're marked as 'new' means we're actually new is kinda funny to begin with.

Maybe we just had nothing to participate with? Or we didn't want to join 'the old boys club' of only people who are 'allowed' to have a say? It seems like they tend to disappear comments that don't just agree with their views.

[snip]

edited for Inappropriate Content and Language
    Edited by ZOS_Exile on February 1, 2022 5:01PM
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm bumping this thread because today it seems relevant, given:

1. The large number of unanswered complaints about event page drop rates, and
    2. The massive PTS/PCNA clusterfork.

It might be a time to reflect on what you guys are doing well and what still needs to be improved, @ZOS_GinaBruno.

I mean, after the servers are fixed, of course. Please take your time. But after that, maybe please do something to make many of your players happier than they currently seem to be?
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »
    I'm bumping this thread because today it seems relevant, given:

1. The large number of unanswered complaints about event page drop rates, and
    2. The massive PTS/PCNA clusterfork.

It might be a time to reflect on what you guys are doing well and what still needs to be improved, @ZOS_GinaBruno.

I mean, after the servers are fixed, of course. Please take your time. But after that, maybe please do something to make many of your players happier than they currently seem to be?

Maybe less vacations to Amsterdam?
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Having been part of multiple corporate cultures, I can assure you, occasional company trips to exotic locales are necessary for employee retention as well as putting on more weight than you were hoping to.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    less outsourcing to fiverr.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Having been part of multiple corporate cultures, I can assure you, occasional company trips to exotic locales are necessary for employee retention as well as putting on more weight than you were hoping to.

Are we interested in retaining whoever was responsible for this disaster?
  • ragnarok6644b14_ESO

Yes, because this experience will be so terrifying they're much less likely to do it again than anyone who ZOS would likely hire to replace them.

(so long as their other characteristics are unimpeachable, like owning up to the mistake and working hard with the staff to fix it).
    Edited by ragnarok6644b14_ESO on April 16, 2024 1:04AM
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The failure of processes like this are not the fault of a single person unless it was done with intention. It's always the process that is at fault. Humans make mistakes, so you need to have a workflow that accommodates that risk. But I'm sure they could leave whoever was in charge of this error back in the office next time the team takes a trip if you feel that would somehow make you a happier person.
  • ragnarok6644b14_ESO

The failure of processes like this are not the fault of a single person unless it was done with intention. It's always the process that is at fault. Humans make mistakes, so you need to have a workflow that accommodates that risk. But I'm sure they could leave whoever was in charge of this error back in the office next time the team takes a trip if you feel that would somehow make you a happier person.

Good point - and it's worth noting that even the best processes degrade over time, so mistakes are simply inevitable (at least without a massive and not-profit-driven oversight body like the government).

The best way to avoid angst over things like this is to learn to have grace for your fellow man and the processes developed by them.
    Edited by ragnarok6644b14_ESO on April 16, 2024 1:07AM
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So many thoughts here. But I'll stick with this one:

I was lucky enough to have worked in a career where I traveled to work cool events and I'm here to tell ya, as sexy as that sounds, it is WORK. It wasn't a vacation to Amsterdam, it was working a LIVE EVENT.

But even if it was a "vacation", it is absolutely none of my business what a company does to reward their employees (and I'd argue it does wonders to build loyalty & productivity). What I care about is that the product I pay for is working acceptably and I'm getting what I paid for. For the vast vast VAST majority of the past 10 years, ESO/ZOS has done a bang-up job. Your mileage may vary, but we all have the power of the wallet to vote with. <3
    @Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, to keep things on the communications track, what are the elements that are important to you all as consumers when something like this happens?

For me, immediacy and transparency are the two most important things, preferably with a mix of self deprecating humor and/or an earnest acknowledgement of the inconvenience caused (optional), as well as the provision of some sort of token gift that recognizes the extent of that inconvenience (also optional).
  • ragnarok6644b14_ESO
    So, to keep things on the communications track, what are the elements that are important to you all as consumers when something like this happens?

For me, immediacy and transparency are the two most important things, preferably with a mix of self deprecating humor and/or an earnest acknowledgement of the inconvenience caused (optional), as well as the provision of some sort of token gift that recognizes the extent of that inconvenience (also optional).

Frankly, for me, I'm so sick of corporate PR spin that I don't actually think there's much that communication ALONE can do to help me, lol. They do a great job here - it doesn't read like corporate PR spin and it does seem genuine and transparent.

But what makes communication the most effective in my mind, is action. It's the old "sorry doesn't cut it" line - don't just apologize, change your behavior.

And, as an ESO player for 10 years, I can say that while they have not been fast about changing their behavior, they have improved things that are problematic.

Some of the extremely bad issues I remember from ages past that have been fixed (mostly; obviously these bugs can crop up on a case by case basis still for all kinds of reasons, but they're not as widespread or 'mainstream' as they were):
    1) Infinite Cyrodiil loadscreens
    2) Exploitable multi-pet summons of combat pets (e.g. 2 Scamps as a sorc)
    3) Break Free only half functioning at best
    4) Proc sets being wonky (I remember the epic horror of seeing a single person with Valkyn Scoria drop about 12 meteors on someone over the course of a 45 second fight)
    5) the combat changes to fit the whole stadia debacle, which I still think ESO is recovering from and I really think may have been ESO's worst decision
    Edited by ragnarok6644b14_ESO on April 16, 2024 1:32AM