The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you prefer account wide achievements?

RisenEclipse
RisenEclipse
✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this now. Would you prefer a one and done account wide achievement system. Or the current, start fresh with every character achievement system.

Would you prefer account wide achievements? 623 votes

No, I like the current character achievement system.
26%
vailjohn_ESOfleetingyouth_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOKesstrylhaploeb14_ESOAwesomestMattSoulshinemaingraywenchmore420b14_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOgresiacjedtb16_ESOfreespiritKhenarthiKitLightningMephitDolgubonDaiKahnSheezabeastTavore1138 165 votes
Yes, I'd prefer account wide achievements.
26%
MallowSolarikenNskDenwookiefriseurShalidorsHeirninibiniMaerdiathDarkstorneDUTCH_REAPERSotha_Silluen79rwb17_ESOYukon2112MalthorneStillianLoralai_907adriant1978Gaebriel0410HatchetHarogwmayarjasonhunter 167 votes
Yes, and while we're at it, make motifs account wide too.
30%
ronguiness_ESOMojmiradyreonb14_ESOalphasquidBelegnoleOthniel327GedericDaveMoeDeeDurnikGlassHalfFullssewallb14_ESOtspecherb14_ESOXerenmonkidb16_ESOCyberOnEsoVriendanwilliams2107b16_ESOCoatmagicNic727Cuddler 191 votes
Some achievements should be account wide, but the rest should remain as is.
16%
DeathStalkerk9mouseDioradannymcgr81b14_ESOPlagueSDCipherNineZigoSidGylzynkwisatzAkatohsproprio.meb16_ESOpingpatb16_ESOpriestnall.andrewrwb17_ESOstarlizard70ub17_ESOAdernathSalmeynaLyricsEchobaratronStevieKingslayerskinnycheeks 100 votes
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think there should have been an additional option for a mix

i like having achievements per toon to see which toon has completed what, but i would also like a "global" tracker for stuff like achievement points or if i have completed achievements at least once

i think there might have been some kind of addon that does something similar to that but its been awhile since i checked on that (or i might have tried it but it didnt work, dont remember lol)

motifs are already effectively account wide if you just want them for outfit station style unlocks
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on January 26, 2022 4:47PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Fazuszek
    Fazuszek
    ✭✭✭

titles shoud be separate.

Achivments account wide - i dont need ,,master resin harvester'' on all toons...
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fine the way it is for me, as each of my characters is a "separate entity" - but I do think it would be nice if we had an overview pane which showed account wide totals by character.

[Late edit to add - I really don't pay much attention to achievements in any case; and I never use titles....]
    Edited by Sylvermynx on January 28, 2022 5:29PM
  • LightningWitch
    LightningWitch
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the per character achievement system. I don't play all my characters the same way, so while one may acquire all the TG achievements, another may not and specialize in cutting the throats of Tamriel citizens.

Most players don't concern themselves with motifs across characters, since a single "crafter" is more than enough to handle all the accounts. I do not have an issue of logging out to handle crafting. I do it for other players as well.

What *should* be account wide is mount training, given any mounts are transferable between characters. Seems ridiculous to waste gold just to level up a mount that's already been leveled.

I also wish faction skyshards were also account wide, available after reaching CP. I don't like skyshard hunting, and I really have no desire to replay faction quests either. I'm okay with dlc/chapter being character specific, but come on... leveling alts is just a tedious grind in of itself. A break would be nice.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get a fishing achievement on my kitty because my Bosmer hates fishing. :tongue:
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to think it should be global like it is in other games that you might play a second time, but now it makes more sense to me the way it is, since the different characters are essentially in their own world (even though they share some things.)
  • TitusF2
    TitusF2
    ✭✭✭
    I'm for making it account wide. However, also for keeping it separate but add an overview of completed achievements, regardless of what character you're on. Titles can still be kept on the respective character that earned it. If a main achievement requires a series of achievements to be completed to unlock said achievement, that should also be kept character specific. On a final note and thought about making it account-wide, perhaps the character name could be associated to the completed achievement.
    This is text.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What *should* be account wide is mount training, given any mounts are transferable between characters. Seems ridiculous to waste gold just to level up a mount that's already been leveled.

it isn't the mount that is being trained.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no interest in achievements. However, it would be nice to gradually achieve things as I play regardless of which race or class I feel like being that day.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not want account wide achievements, I use them as a measure of progress on each character.

What I - and others have suggested as a compromise is that we keep the account wide achievements but that there is an overview page that shows your progress on the achievements on your account with a break down of what you have on each character.

That way those that want the achievements per character get to keep them and those that want to see their progress across the account can see that.

This may meed a bit of tweaking as ideally with this approach you should register for having achieved (for example) the monster trophy achievements on an account basis if you have all the necessary trophies across your characters, rather than only getting rewarded it on the account wide list when one character gets all the trophies.

But other than that I feel its a fair compromise, but the players wanting account wide achievements never seem to acknowledge those of us who are happy with the status quo thinking they are right and we are wrong.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like each character having their own tab. There are several quests/instances/availability in game that depend on a character's achivement, so removing that would require a decent restructure of some game mechanics. Besides, I know one of the major argumnets is the tedium of some of the grindy ones like monster trophies, but they are still designed for a single character. If 'capture 100 relics' was intended as an achievement for one character, you know the account-wide version would be 'capture 1000 relics across all of your characters.'

I do understand that people would like to be able to let others know of their Godslayer even if they're on an alt and trying to get into a crag vSS farm group. I also understand that people in high-end progs will feel the need to have certain characters/classes for certain situations and can't always get achievements on one character (especially with militant raid leads).

Therefore I think the best option would be an 'account' tab or tooltip, similar to the global achieves PC addon. Don't remove the current achievement functionality, just add in something like "characters with this achieve: X, Y, Z" so you can still show that you have an achievement, just not on the selected character. Maybe even make it so hovering over the points will also show your score on your other characters.
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acc wide PVP rank pretty please
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
  • Weper
    Weper
    ✭✭✭
    Every achievement and every motif should be account-wide.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything should be account wide.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the present system as my many characters are all different and I wouldn't want my Paladin-style Templar to be saddled with my Assassin-style Nightblade's Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood achievements, for example.

I'm all in favour of an account-wide achievement summary accessed from the character selection screen showing who has done what, and that could lead to additional achievements - for example Grandmaster Angler if you have 4 or more Master Anglers on your account.

For many of us the point of having multiple characters is to play the game fully with them, while for others the point of rolling an "alt" is to complement their "main" or experiment with different builds etc. The former like character-specific achievements because they want to develop their characters as equal individuals, the latter like account-wide achievements because they don't want to repeat the levelling process but just reach "endgame" as quickly as possible. Fortunately, ZOS recognise these different approaches and have done a good job in my view of compromising between them with some things character-specific like achievements and other things account-wide like champion points. I don't think that compromise should change whether one way or the other.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer account wide achievments because i view my account as a single unit. However the best solution in my eyes would be to simply have both simultaniously. So every character keeps their set of achievments but the account gets a set as well. Every time a character does something that advances an achievment it should be counted for both the character and the account. This way players could choose whatever way they prefer to handle their achievments.
    hafgood wrote: »
    But other than that I feel its a fair compromise, but the players wanting account wide achievements never seem to acknowledge those of us who are happy with the status quo thinking they are right and we are wrong.

That is mostly caused by the fact that character based players dont explain this propperly and ive seen many advocate against simply having both. There are alot of bad arguments around on both sides instead of seing it simply pragmatic and agreeing to both.
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted for the mix...

Earlier in my ESO gaming...I was frustrated by character vs global achievements. I would have answered I wanted global achievements. As I "grew up" and understand the attachment to character level...it actually makes sense to me now that it is character level. These are character achievements. I just wish I had understood that earlier. I viewed achievements as player achievements vs character and I messed up things by not understanding...the whole character achievement thing.

There are upsides and downsides to both.

I think the major frustration is either for people who like to complete all achievements...they are now forced to a single character to do this on......OR.....the layered achievements....achievements that are needed for other achievements (mega achievements!).

If you completed one faction on one character and another faction on yet another character, OOPs....you get stuck for the achievement that requires you to finish all factions. That is from not understanding how it works in the first place.

Then you get to the concept of value in "alts". Your alts have less play because you want access to pretty colors, skins or titles that come from those mega achievements that you now need to get on a single character. You have to start balancing achievement and cosmetic hunting with playing what you enjoy playing in that moment. And if the "monetization" and "crown discussions" that regularly show up on this don't tell you anything else; they should tell you "cosmetics are important to people".

Now, class balance becomes important to achievements. If this patch, Dragonhunters are less valued...and your main achievement hunting class is a Dragonhunter....you feel frustrated playing that character. You become dissatisfied with the game because you are hampered in achievement progression (if they are important to you). And then next patch; Dragonhunters are the FOTM and you can enjoy playing it again!!! yay!

And that is before you get into those achievements and mega achievements tied to veteran content. Now your skill with a specific achievement hunting class and the way that class performs in that level of content and the perceived value of the class becomes important.

Only, you don't know all of that when you first starting playing. You chose your class based on what suited your playstyle...likely in a casual setting when you first started the game. You may have progressed through a lot of achievements before you realized just how important your very first choices in this game were to you...later on.

In that space......I do wonder if some of the MEGA achievements might be better as account achievements vs character. I concede, I am probably wrong there though.
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some achievements wouldn't work as account-wide. If they made a page for character achievements and account-wide achievements, then I'd be all for it.

But it's never gonna happen.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Gylzyn
    Gylzyn
    ✭✭✭
    As someone trying to complete as many achievements as possible, I would either like account-wide achievements, or some achievements to be account-wide, or some way to show achievements in a consolidated form. I consider that it is me (i.e. the player) that is getting the achievement, rather than the character, though I realise that others see it differently. Which is why I would prefer there to be a choice to show achievements (and their points) either by character or by account.

I also think that if there was an option to consolidate achievements across the account, this should only apply to completed achievements. So, for example, I wouldn't be able to consolidate the monster trophies looted across all characters until I have completed the entire category on one character. Once I have looted all of the trophies in the category, then I can choose to show that category as account wide. This would mean that the choice would be at a category level, rather than at one setting for all achievements. Although I may choose to show some achievements account wide, there might be some benefits that would only apply to the one character that has actually learnt them all. In my case, I choose to learn all motifs on one character (who is Master Crafter) and have no desire to try to learn them on multiple characters (who won't be Master Crafters). In my consolidated view I can see that I "know" the styles and have got the achievement at least once. If others choose not to do that, and wanted to get multiple Master Crafters, then they can switch to individual character achievements. I am, of course, just using this as an example.

I do think it is relevant that the benefits of some achievements (e.g. dyes, mementos, skins, pets, styles) are useable account wide so I am not sure why the achievement couldn't also be shown account wide if I chose.

The big thing for me is not the easier achievements like the Exploration and Quest ones. It is some of the dungeon and trial ones where I might have played on my damage dealer or my healer, depending upon what was needed by the group or guild at the time. So, for veteran Fang Lair, I might have completed all of the achievements but across the two characters. The achievements for Fang Lair are shown as incomplete for each character (even though "I" have done them all). If I had the option and chose to show them in a consolidated form, then they would appear complete.

I guess that this might be a lot of work for ESO to implement. But if there was an add-on that gave me to choice to show character or account wide achievements (apologies to console users) then it is one I would definitely use.
    Edited by Gylzyn on January 26, 2022 9:05PM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Account wide achievements (all), and motifs since a player can access all motifs already at a outfit station.

ZOS can add a box to check "Account Wide Achievements" in game options for players that want to RP their individual toons achievements.

Problem solved.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on January 26, 2022 8:58PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest the motif answer messes up what is a simple yes, no, other question. My point is keep polls simple.

With that, there is no reason why an account-wide achievement list should not be added. It would enhance the current system since the character-based achievements can still remain and have titles attached only to the character achievement.

This would allow us to see what we have done with our account and keep the most coveted titles with the character that earned it. This is a win/win for everyone and does not take anything away.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I would specifically like to see is something that compares my achievements from my other characters as well as a comparison to how many players of the game have that achievement.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I would do. I would leave character achievement pages EXACTLY how they are. I would add in a separate account wide achievement tab that showed total progress towards the account. On the account wide page, I would remove titles so they are left to the character page.

That accomplishes 3 things:

1. People that want to play characters fresh from scratch have it the way they want it.

2. People (like myself) that want to see total progress for their whole account have that option as well.

3. We don't have level 10 Godslayers running around. Titles should be character specific IMO.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All my achievements are on the char I like the least. I would like to play and concentrate on my others but having the achievements to date locked on that char stops me. I do not have unlimited time and have decided to eliminate my other toons. Pretty soon i will eliminate my main and not care any more.
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    3. We don't have level 10 Godslayers running around. Titles should be character specific IMO.

Skins, personalities and mounts are account-wide though, so why not titles? It's merely cosmetic after all and if people wanted to use a vHM something skin/personality/icefire senche thingy they already could. They already do.
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont want account wide achievements and here is the reason:

Some Achievements give progress towards fighters guild (Dungeons achievements) if it were account wide, you could only get the progress once, and that would be a major pain point in leveling alts in this guild.
    Also, the skillpoints from alliance war ranks (the lower ones) are also very welcome while leveling alts.

as a compromise, i would suggest keeping them on character, but show a summary tab on earned achievements on the account.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Every time a character does something that advances an achievment it should be counted for both the character and the account."

This is the part I disagree with. An achievement should only advance on the character that you are presently playing. When your character completes the achievement you should be able to see that as part of the account wide view.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think all achievements with collectibles should be account-wide similar to outfit styles, especially when rng is involved (eg. monster trophies).

Achievements that reflect what you actually did with a char like quest progress, map knowledge, slayer achievements, etc. should remain char specific.

I'm not sure how to handle trial and dungeon achievements, though. For more difficult stuff, you are often being asked to show the according achievement as proof that you know the mechs. For instance, if you got a trifecta on one char, chances are high you can do it again on another char. Hence, these kind of achievements are probably better if account-wide.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. I want to earn achievements separately on different characters exactly because ]they're different characters. I don't want my heroic characters automatically having DB achievements just because my assassin character got them, and I want the remaining challenge of earning say Voice of Reason on other toons beyond the one I first cleared on. Equally I want to have to earn achievements separately on tank toons to DPS toons etc. The system is fine as it is.
    Having said that I would love it if motifs became account wide. Toons clearly share some kind of 'library' as they all get access to learned styles, so it doesn't seem too far fetched that they would all get access to the motifs as well. It would also be a nice QOL perk if monster trophies became account bound rather than character bound, to eliminate the frustration of having a rare monster trophy drop on an alt. Either let me pass it to my main and have it count for her too, or make it so it counts towards the achievement on the toon that sells it to the merchant rather than the one that gets the kill.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes but not fully so, I'd like to see an overview of sorts for the account and don't even mind some of the achievements being actually account wide like some trophy collector ones as the most painful example. But titles, motif knowledge etc. should stay as is imo.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and motifs and Alliance rank.