Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you prefer account wide achievements?

• jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there need to be a mix of account-wide and character-specific achievements.

And some that are account-wide but need to be done on one character, others that can be done account-wide across multiple characters.

For instance, a "(Zone) Skyshard Hunter" is the sort of thing that strikes me as ought to be character-specific.

But, some of the "Do X dailies" really could stand to be across multiple characters. I'm thinking of the insane Murkmire one in particular, the one with 150 repeats. Even having 10 characters do 15 each still requires that you actually *do* 150, but at least it could be account-wide. Or "Destroy 150 Dark Anchors" (or is it 250?) or "Destroy 50 Abyssal Geysers" and "Kill 50 Dragons" - those look big enough numbers to be account-wide.

There are even some holiday ones that provide a memento or a title, that CAN'T be done more than once, and these really should be account-wide.
  • Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and while we're at it, make motifs account wide too.

@Auroan

I find your post quite offensive.

You presume far too much about me and what I find enjoyable in the game, and have ignored my previous posts in which I have explained my point of view and attitude towards the game. I am not going to reiterate them here so you can ignore them again.

I’ve been playing this game for years. On console (for added challenge). With 18 characters. So please don’t presume to tell me that I don’t care about the game & game play. I am an officer in a guild that helps new players join in all aspects of the game.

I have a different opinion on this subject to you. And I am asking questions about its implementation as I think this is relevant.

I am actually very angry at your post. And am being much more polite than I feel.

@SerafinaWaterstar

The post wasn't meant to be offensive, simply an observation that maybe I expressed a little too harshly. However, that's how it came off to me. You've expressed that you use achievements more so as a means of tracking progress of your characters, and if you happen to get some extra ones on the side while on your journeys, so be it. I explained to you that "major" achievements have alternate tracking methods, while "minor" ones, unfortunately, do not. Story quests, Delves, Dungeons, Skill Trees, etc., are all tracked on an individual character basis. Looking for Miaq, lighting bonfires for random NPC's, won't be anymore. Maybe they will in the future, but most likely, this won't be the case as ZOS, and most of the player community, likely view these more so as "extras", or "personal challenges". Soulsborne games, for example, if you've ever played them, have their own list of achievements. Completing the game without dying, and even completing the game without getting hit, are not among them. Yet, players will go out of their way to do it. Why? Personal Challenge. Something that gives them fulfillment, a new sense of challenge and excitement, etc.

This is where I'm conflicted with your views and make my assumption, because you, whose claimed to enjoy the game so much, are ready to up and leave the game simply because of this update. Yet us players, who've sat through it for what is now about 8 years without any account-wide achievements, haven't left at all. Why is this? Do we love the game more then you? Or do we understand that achievements aren't as important as the game itself? Your argument that you truly do enjoy the game and its gameplay, more so then the achievements, is weak at best when you've expressed in your post prior that without achievements, there's no purpose to do anything. Your examples were:

-No point in thieving since you already did thieving things (I'm assuming that means story, heists, pick-pocketing, etc.)
    -No point in fishing since you already have Master Angler
    -No point in PvP'ing since you already have Grand Overlord/Emperor
    -No point in crafting or leveling up your guild skill trees since you already have the achievements

So basically, there's no point in even playing the game because the achievements are gone. How else can this be interpreted? Your entire purpose and fun value for playing this game has completely diminished to the point where you're contemplating quitting the game because of it. What I'm doing (and perhaps I could've done better), is trying to explain to you that you don't need to quit. That 80% of the things you're upset about is still there. The other 20%, however, will have to simply be a "personal challenge" now. I believe 100% that ZOS has the ability to change this and add those things, such as a Miaq tracker, Campfire Tracker, etc., simply adding it to the Zone Guide. Honestly, they could make the other achievements they stated won't be account-wide to be account-wide as well. We already have all the motifs unlocked via the Outfit Station. Why aren't we allowed to have those Motifs via the achievements as well? Crafting is still character independent and still needs to be leveled in order to effectively craft, so why isn't the Rune achievements account-wide when all other crafting ones are? Fishing will apparently be individually tracked on the Zone Guide now too, so why can't Skyshards be the same? Idk, doesn't make much sense to me. But at least 90% of the work is done.

But anyways, point is, I wasn't trying to offend, but you made it really difficult not to interpret what you were saying any other way since you've expressed distaste, to the point of potentially quitting the game, for things that're still there. The only difference now is you won't get that "ding" for any "minor" achievements now. It's not worth it. I know this is kinda like a "for the greater good", or "lesser of two evils" situation that you and some others get the *** end of the stick on, but it'll work out in the long run.
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I like the current character achievement system.
    Will it be account wide achievements or account wide achievement progress as well?
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

You say you have played for years with character-based achievements without leaving - that is because that was how the game was designed from the start! This change is after 8 years and is quite significant and does affect the game play.

As I have tried to explain previously, my enjoyment of the game is not dependent on achievements, but they do add quite a lot of fun, as I prefer to play each of my characters as a separate entity and thus do not want achievements from one character to be given to other characters that haven’t actually done the parts of the game that haven’t done that yet, as I find it fun to do them individually. Is that really so hard to understand?

For example, I like doing dungeons on a variety of characters, which have different classes and roles. If the dungeon achievements are all combined, then I will not know which achievements such as speed run etc I have done on which of my 18 characters as I use the achievement tab as a record - I really really don’t want to have to create a spreadsheet to use outside of the game to manage this. Not fun.

I appreciate that you want account-wide, which is why I have asked for this to be optional, or for there to be two tabs, one account overview and one to enable monitoring of individual character progress.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 1, 2022 2:18PM
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »

Goes both ways, are the people who want to enjoy the content without worrying about losing progress of achievements on their main second class citizens to you?

Yes it does go both ways which is why I have numerous times suggested a compromise - an account overview. That way those who want to see what they have gained across their account can while those of us who want them left character based can still earn them on each character.

That way everyone wins
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »

Goes both ways, are the people who want to enjoy the content without worrying about losing progress of achievements on their main second class citizens to you?

Yes it does go both ways which is why I have numerous times suggested a compromise - an account overview. That way those who want to see what they have gained across their account can while those of us who want them left character based can still earn them on each character.

That way everyone wins

Except that's not really what those who are happy for account wide actually want - they want the option to do things across all their alts accruing achievements on everyone so their main (perhaps a main they no longer enjoy playing at all) still shows all the achievements/points.

It's a viable wish for that subset of players - and I can see both sides because I don't give a rat's patoot about either achievements or titles.
  • Syrta
    Syrta
    Soul Shriven
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

That way everyone wins

Except that's not really what those who are happy for account wide actually want - they want the option to do things across all their alts accruing achievements on everyone so their main (perhaps a main they no longer enjoy playing at all) still shows all the achievements/points.

It's a viable wish for that subset of players - and I can see both sides because I don't give a rat's patoot about either achievements or titles.

I am happy for account wide achievements and want exactly what Sylvermynx described.

There is no reason not to have achievement points account wide and just list under each achievement which of your characters have earned it. There is already an addon that does exactly that. https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2905-AccountAchievements.html

I want to view achievements across all of my characters, rack up achievement points on an account wide basis, and still be able to view which achievements each of my individual characters have achieved to track my own development in different classes and roles like we currently can. This would be a gain of function update without losing any function. Removing something many have enjoyed for years when it isn't necessary would be a bad design choice. At this point, we don't know if this is already what ZoS is doing, but I really hope it is.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrta wrote: »

That way everyone wins

I am happy for account wide achievements and want exactly what Sylvermynx described.

There is no reason not to have achievement points account wide and just list under each achievement which of your characters have earned it. There is already an addon that does exactly that. https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2905-AccountAchievements.html

I want to view achievements across all of my characters, rack up achievement points on an account wide basis, and still be able to view which achievements each of my individual characters have achieved to track my own development in different classes and roles like we currently can. This would be a gain of function update without losing any function. Removing something many have enjoyed for years when it isn't necessary would be a bad design choice. At this point, we don't know if this is already what ZoS is doing, but I really hope it is.

On console. No add ons
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great.

Patch notes show this is being implemented in a thoughtless cack-handed way.

Fan-bloody-tastic. 🤬
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly can't understand people who play games solely for achievements, to the extent that if they can't work on the same sets of achievements over and over again on alts they don't want to play at all.

I personally play games for gameplay, story/worldbuilding, character development, and community typically.

I've never cared about a tally of artificial points via "achievements" and therefore have never had achievements that don't come with some unlocked reward I want influence how I spend my time.

Anyway luckily it appears people who care about achievements to the level they are threatening to leave the game appear to be an minority, and probably are just using this as a relative extreme tactic to get what they want.
  • Syrta
    Syrta
    Soul Shriven
    Syrta wrote: »

That way everyone wins

On console. No add ons

I wasn't saying to use an addon, I was saying an addon already implements account wide achievements in a way where both parties would be happy so there is no reason for ZoS to not be able to do the same or better.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I honestly can't understand people who play games solely for achievements, to the extent that if they can't work on the same sets of achievements over and over again on alts they don't want to play at all.

I personally play games for gameplay, story/worldbuilding, character development, and community typically.

I've never cared about a tally of artificial points via "achievements" and therefore have never had achievements that don't come with some unlocked reward I want influence how I spend my time.

Anyway luckily it appears people who care about achievements to the level they are threatening to leave the game appear to be an minority, and probably are just using this as a relative extreme tactic to get what they want.

Actually, most who value individual character achievements were not actually stopping it, but asking for a compromise, such as it being optional, or having different tabs.

It was a way of measuring progression, which some find adds to their fun & enjoyment in the game. You may not. Great. But why take it away completely from those that do?

Now I shall have the fecking joy of fecking spreadsheets.

And for the first time in 5 years I shall not be pre-ordering. Not a threat, just a loss of customer goodwill & money.
    Edited by SerafinaWaterstar on January 31, 2022 7:14PM
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, most who value individual character achievements were not actually stopping it, but asking for a compromise, such as it being optional, or having different tabs.

It was a way of measuring progression, which some find adds to their fun & enjoyment in the game. You may not. Great. But why take it away completely from those that do?

And for the first time in 5 years I shall not be pre-ordering. Not a threat, just a loss of customer goodwill & money.

*shrug* This probably is just far more upsetting to you than most people in general I'm guessing.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*shrug* This probably is just far more upsetting to you than most people in general I'm guessing.

If you read any of the other threads on this topic, there are quite a few people who are not happy with this change.
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you read any of the other threads on this topic, there are quite a few people who are not happy with this change.

I have. I've seen you very active in them too. But the polls and general sentiment are that 70%ish or so agree or are happy with the changes. All in all a net positive. Those leaving the game (or more likely, threatening to) are probably a tiny minority.

Based on your volume of posting on the topic, and the actual trend - I'm afraid you are the vocal minority here. Even of those who voted they dislike the change, you are on the extreme end.
    Edited by AScarlato on February 1, 2022 2:33AM
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd prefer account wide achievements.
    With the long list of achievements in this game I am happy to see them going accountwide. Once the achievement is done I, for one, have very little motivation to go through the whole ordeal again on another character. To me, these are player achievements and not character achievements.
    Glad it will be accountwide soon. Very soon, I hope.
  • Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update for anyone who hasn't played the PTS yet:

The account-wide achievements do state, "Earned by: Character Name". However, it's only for the first character that earned it, not all characters that earned it there after.

Motif achievements are account-wide. I was under the interpretation that they weren't, but they indeed are. However, you can still make the mistake of using your Motifs on an alt instead of your main, even if you already have the achievement, because Motifs are attached to Lorebooks. Your alt might have the Achievement, but not the Lorebook, so you can still consume Motifs that the individual character didn't already have to add it to their Lorebook collection. If you're a Lorebook junky and want to collect all of them on your main, this is something you'll still want to be careful with so that your main doesn't have 5/14 Lorebooks while your alt has the other 9/14.

Some achievements are combined. If I need to kill 100 of something and my main has 70 and my alt has 30, when you log onto one and then log onto the other, it'll combine them and earn your achievement (as confirmed by my group member, not me personally).

Some achievements are still character based, as described in the patch notes. Oddly though, Flawless Conqueror/vMA solo arena is one of them, while the Vateshran Hollows solo arena isn't? Not sure if that's intentional.
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    BahometZ wrote: »
    BahometZ wrote: »
    Account wide titles are an awful idea as they not only cheapen the value of titles, but also remove incentive for a lot of the player base to replay content. This seems absolutely counter to what a company like Zenimax want, which is continued engagement.

I can get behind a global achievement counter, and to go further would actually appreciate it if rng achievements like finding Maiq the Liar and monster trophies were cumulative across accounts, which it wouldn't be even under this new proposed change.

But shared titles is completely unacceptable to me.

I feel the exact opposite of you, and many others do too.

I am aware of this. I'm merely voicing my opinion.

How many times must I earn something before I actually earn it? Account-wide achievements are a godsend.

That is a reason skyshards should also be account-wide. Though now that they make Crowns for it makes it very unlikely to change. Gathering them on multiple alts does get tedious at times, especially when I have so much more of the game I have yet to complete!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy finding all the skyshards in overland on all my alts. It's a lot of fun - as is reading every book I run across.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auroan wrote: »

The account-wide achievements do state, "Earned by: Character Name". However, it's only for the first character that earned it, not all characters that earned it there after.

Motif achievements are account-wide. I was under the interpretation that they weren't, but they indeed are. However, you can still make the mistake of using your Motifs on an alt instead of your main, even if you already have the achievement, because Motifs are attached to Lorebooks. Your alt might have the Achievement, but not the Lorebook, so you can still consume Motifs that the individual character didn't already have to add it to their Lorebook collection. If you're a Lorebook junky and want to collect all of them on your main, this is something you'll still want to be careful with so that your main doesn't have 5/14 Lorebooks while your alt has the other 9/14.

Some achievements are combined. If I need to kill 100 of something and my main has 70 and my alt has 30, when you log onto one and then log onto the other, it'll combine them and earn your achievement (as confirmed by my group member, not me personally).

Some achievements are still character based, as described in the patch notes. Oddly though, Flawless Conqueror/vMA solo arena is one of them, while the Vateshran Hollows solo arena isn't? Not sure if that's intentional.

Thanks for the summary
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    There is something in this game called immersion, sense of progression, RP identity (in an mmo*RP*g), this change completely ruin that feeling, the feeling of progress and change and adventure on your own char, how would you explain having a char just created yesterday running around with GO rank? I don't want to see all titles in title section, I only want to see titles that I earned on my current toon, how would you explain a title like Champion of The Aldmeri Dominion on a char that has never ever completed that achievement (hello solo questing?? a thing a big chunk of your player base do on a regular basis including me???) the simple fact of seeing it in the list of titles and not being able to earn it again freakin sucks and remove any sense of immersion, RP identity (in an mmo*RP*g) and sense of progression that each char is supposed to have, please reconsider this change or at the very least, make it a toggle in the settings giving people *the choice* to have or not account wide achievements. I'm not an RPer but I still very much care about the RP identity of my chars, does ZOS even care at all about the Elder Scroll Online Role Play Community? How about them?
    Edited by Hamboot on February 1, 2022 7:07AM
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For clarification, it's not the first character to earn the achievement, it's for the first who registered it. Let's say, for example, you earned your first Godslayer back in 2019 on your main character. Then you earned it again in 2020+ on another character. If you log in to the latter first, it registers that as your first completion and it won't matter if there's a character with a date prior to that.

Honestly, this is even more of a mixed bag for me now. It should either show the names of all characters who have earned the achievements or not at all. Or at least whichever character actually earned it first; as in, the game should determine first completion based on the achievement completion date, not just whichever character you log into first who has it.

As for the poll itself, I don't really mind either way so far as achievements go. One thing I would like, however, regardless of achievements, is a global Eidetic Memory (don't care about motifs, have them all on my main and "retired" main, and most on my other 18-20 characters already), which would be a fix for the various bugged books, and all the new, future, bugged books likely to be on the horizon.

Edited by Troodon80 on February 1, 2022 6:35AM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hamboot wrote: »
    how would you explain having a char just created yesterday running around with GO rank?
    For reference sake only, there's already a precedence for this sort of thing. Skins, mounts, and other achievement based collectibles. Just because you can't justify it on a new character doesn't mean it should/shouldn't be an option for those who can. You can tell a GO by their actual rank. If a level three has GO, then it's very obviously from a character who has earned it. It's the same as a level three running around on a Hand of Alkosh senche, Z'Maja's Shadow skin, and Emperor costume

Out of curiosity, are you also against achievement-based unlockables like mounts and skins? Do they ruin the experience? Do you just ignore them?

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    how would you explain having a char just created yesterday running around with GO rank?
    For reference sake only, there's already a precedence for this sort of thing. Skins, mounts, and other achievement based collectibles. Just because you can't justify it on a new character doesn't mean it should/shouldn't be an option for those who can. You can tell a GO by their actual rank. If a level three has GO, then it's very obviously from a character who has earned it. It's the same as a level three running around on a Hand of Alkosh senche, Z'Maja's Shadow skin, and Emperor costume

Out of curiosity, are you also against achievement-based unlockables like mounts and skins? Do they ruin the experience? Do you just ignore them?

Just because this stuff exists that doesn't mean that it should be made worse with every single thing in the game, and besides mounts play an important role for the game such as transportation they are primarily a utility tool, achievement through questing and pvp are much more important because they play a more important role in the overall level of immersion.
    Edited by Hamboot on February 1, 2022 6:53AM
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because this stuff exists that doesn't mean that it should be made worse with every single thing in the game, and besides mounts play an important role for the game such as transportation they are primarily a utility tool, achievement through questing and pvp are much more important because they play a more important role in the overall level of immersion.
    You didn't answer the question. Are you against account-wide unlockables such as skins and mounts? If yes, how do you deal with them being in the game?

@Troodon80 PC | EU
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't answer the question. Are you against account-wide unlockables such as skins and mounts? If yes, how do you deal with them being in the game?

Skins and mounts are very different from title-bound achievements and achievements in general, although they are tied to the latter. I don't have single mount earned through achievements as I don't have Godslayer and similar trifecta trial achievements, I only have one skin. Even if I did have them I would just pretend that my chars borrowed said items from each others something not possible with titles.
    Edited by Hamboot on February 1, 2022 7:04AM
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skins and mounts are very different from title-bound achievements and achievements in general, although they are tied to the latter. I don't have single mount earned through achievements as I don't have Godslayer and similar trifecta trial achievements, I only have one skin. Even if I did have them I would just pretend that my chars borrowed said items from each others something not possible with titles.
    Sorry, but the very definition of pretend is exactly that. I'm not going to quote the dictionary definition. You can look that up yourself. In this context, to conveniently overlook something for the sake of roleplay. You can do that with titles. Just because the titles are in the list doesn't mean you have to select them. Same with having any of those skins, mounts, or other collectibles (including pets, e.g. Wrothgar).

What about another player who wants to roleplay as a Witch without having to go through and earn the title achievement again? Considering it's a holiday achievement and the wait needed before they can begin roleplaying (if they don't want to buy writs)? You're saying they shouldn't have this ability because you don't want it?

@Troodon80 PC | EU
  • Anfieldkris
    Anfieldkris
    ✭✭✭

The account-wide achievements do state, "Earned by: Character Name". However, it's only for the first character that earned it, not all characters that earned it there

Hi, console player with no access to PTS. The implication of this combining seems to be pretty significant if it is as described. Would this mean for example that if I had say 100m ap earned across all of my characters, I would automatically get GO, even if no individual character had actually achieved GO, or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Are numeric achievements just being added up, or is it the case that it defaults to the highest milestone achieved?
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some achievements should be account wide, but the rest should remain as is.
    If it goes live as it is on PTS I personally hardly see a reason to do any trials anymore apart from score pushing and from what I hear from fellow endgame players many share that sentiment. It's nice to farm trifecta achievements on different chars as it gives you a goal to work towards. There is something prestigious about being able to say that you earned a trifecta X amount of times or that you did it on multiple roles. Now I can just slap Planesbreaker on a tank or healer and pretend I did it with roles I can hardly play. It seriously devalues the work people put into these achievements.

For the people that say "you can buy achievements anyways". Yes sure you can and it definitely devalues them as well, but just because there is something that affects the value of earning an achievement doesn't mean that introducing more such things is good or justified.

I've helped in many groups, filling for someone missing or just straight up helping to get their first trifectas as a member of the group. Apart from being nice and helpful one incentive always was that I could get it on a character that doesn't have it yet.

I like global achievements. Some achievements in the game are terribly to farm and not having the feeling of having to do it again on another char is definitely nice. I would still want for ZoS to add a way to track individual characters achievements while making them overall global. That would allow people to still farm achievements they enjoy farming and would allow people to get certain achievements on their characters for roleplay reasons without feeling that it hurts their characters identity.
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    You can do that with titles.

No you can't, I don't want to see my titles unlocked by other chars in the list of the titles of my other chars, and they must be earnable again, this is extremely different from mounts, which not only 99% of them are cash shop locked but even if they weren't they mostly play a utility role.