Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weighted RNG not working....

Kryptonite_Kent
Kryptonite_Kent
✭✭✭✭
Just ran an Arx Cor for the infamous Medusa staff... got a Medusa greatsword that I already had collected, so much for "weighted rng" where you wouldnt get duplicates if you still needed collection pieces huh, what a joke although I'm not surpised by anything that doesnt work correctly in this game
Former Emperor
Animus Impetum -DC- Magplar
Animus Impetus -AD- Magplar
Impetus Animus -EP- Magplar
Kryptonite Kent -AD- Stamblade
Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ran an Arx Cor for the infamous Medusa staff... got a Medusa greatsword that I already had collected, so much for "weighted rng" where you wouldnt get duplicates if you still needed collection pieces huh, what a joke although I'm not surpised by anything that doesnt work correctly in this game
    Did you get generic Medusa Greatsword, or Sillistrix's Siphon? Some people are reporting that named items aren't counted correctly.

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just did a black drake villa where I have all true sworn pieces, and all drakes rush pieces but missing 3 Kinras pieces, And so last boss I just did should have gotten me Kinras for sure, but it did not, it gave me True Sworn. And I double checked before the run what I needed and had in the book. So this is indeed bugged. Though seems to not happen often as I have only seen it happen once over like 16 runs.
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you get generic Medusa Greatsword, or Sillistrix's Siphon? Some people are reporting that named items aren't counted correctly.

It was the named sword, however it still says "collected" on the item, so their system doesnt work either way, like I said, I'm not surprised that yet another thing doesnt work correctly in eso...
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was the named sword, however it still says "collected" on the item, so their system doesnt work either way, like I said, I'm not surprised that yet another thing doesnt work correctly in eso...
    Yeah I'm not defending it, just trying to gauge how broken it is. If the issue is just "Named items aren't accounted for correctly" that should be easier to fix than "sometimes it doesn't check."
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's probaly a simple case of
    100 x 0 =

yep ZERO
    :wink: k
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is working as designed. IIRC from the announcement stream a few weeks ago, they SAID the change would not apply to any named weapons. And the named weapons aren't guaranteed, either, so you just got "lucky" to get a named weapon instead of an unnamed set weapon. Run it again and you'll likely get something you need.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't broken, it just wasn't designed to work the way you think it should have been designed to work.
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    It isn't broken, it just wasn't designed to work the way you think it should have been designed to work.

I'm not the only one saying they are getting items they already collected when they still need items either, so clearly its not working to ONLY drop things you dont have collected... so, no its not working correctly, unless every person saying this is getting a named item
    Edited by Kryptonite_Kent on November 1, 2021 7:31PM
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • LokiAndBlack
    LokiAndBlack
    ✭✭✭
    Most bosses in the game, along with reward chests from arenas and incursions, will now preferentially drop set items that have not yet been unlocked in your Item Set Collections.

Source: Patch notes
    so as it seems we don't get the item we didn't colelcted with 100% proabaility, it is only that the probabilitiy to get the desired not collected item is higher.

The part about maelstrom arena in news is misleading, because it is reported you still can get duplicates there as well.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, OR unless they're talking about items that dropped from content that the devs SAID during the announcement steam would NOT be included in the weighted RNG changes. It wasn't intended to affect every drop in the game, only certain drops such as from final bosses of dungeons. It wasn't supposed to apply to treasure chests, world bosses, overland mobs, etc.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on November 1, 2021 7:38PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for reaching out about this. We are currently investigating. We'll follow up once we have more information.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • LokiAndBlack
    LokiAndBlack
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, OR unless they're talking about items that dropped from content that the devs SAID during the announcement steam would NOT be included in the weighted RNG changes. It wasn't intended to affect every drop in the game, only certain drops such as from final bosses of dungeons. It wasn't supposed to apply to treasure chests, world bosses, overland mobs, etc.

Well I speak about the maelstrom weapons that are dropping from last boss. So it is definitely about the curated dropsand not about chests. check f.e. here
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that its not working how i would have expected it. I ran 3 daily dungeons with only 1 dropping a missing weapon, while the other 2 dropped duplicate weapons (one weapon was named). I ran a dlc dungeon where i only missed a single weapon and got it. I the ran a DLC dungeon where i missed an armor piece and 26 weapons and i got a weapon, but the 4 armor piece bosses did not drop the missing armor piece.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting, I ran Black Drake Villa at lunch, just to try it out. Every thing I got was something I had already collected. A sample size of one is meh, but I was really hoping to see the Kinras Inferno drop.

It may be possible to keep my 7 year losing streak running; 7 years and no Burning Spellweave inferno.... :)
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope sorry dude, I just got back to back unnamed weapons of the same thing... its broken
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Thanks for reaching out about this. We are currently investigating. We'll follow up once we have more information.

Well I can confirm it will dropped a named weapon you already have, and an unnamed weapon you already have... so it has nothing to do with named vs unnamed, guess we can put that theory to bed... someone else said possibly that its rolling the TYPE of weapon you will get (like staff or sword) first and then looks to see if youre missing one of that TYPE of weapon instead of rolling for anything youre missing... but thats another theory
    Edited by Kryptonite_Kent on November 1, 2021 8:13PM
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I can confirm it will dropped a named weapon you already have, and an unnamed weapon you already have... so it has nothing to do with named vs unnamed, guess we can put that theory to bed... someone else said possibly that its rolling the TYPE of weapon you will get (like staff or sword) first and then looks to see if youre missing one of that TYPE of weapon instead of rolling for anything youre missing... but thats another theory

My guess would be:
    - its randomly active or inactive for an instance (would at least explain my incredible luck with the single weapon)
    - its a ramping up chance (increased chance for every miss)
    - it takes other players that attacked the boss as well into account and somehow creates a list of all items missing for these players
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »

My guess would be:
    - its randomly active or inactive for an instance (would at least explain my incredible luck with the single weapon)
    - its a ramping up chance (increased chance for every miss)
    - it takes other players that attacked the boss as well into account and somehow creates a list of all items missing for these players

Well whatever the case, its not working, which defeats the purpose lol
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went Frostvault for Tzgovin's mighty dagger what i looking for more than year! I got ALL what i HAVE in collection :D:D
    Then i went vet ICP, okay i got TWO things what i don't have in collection.
    Then Moongrave Fane, again i got ONE thing what i don't have.
    So, new rnd really not work as predicted. But on other side, there was told that "game will try to check" :D:D
    Edited by davidtk on November 2, 2021 7:35AM
    Really sorry for my english
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    For me IT IS WORKING… Made few runs in Frostvault and some other dungeons yesterday and everytime I get at leastt two NEW items. Before I made 10-15 runs to get two new items…
    So from my point of view, in fact if you do not have farmed all the other sets from specific dungeon, you may not receive the only item you are looking for 😁
  • Aliniel
    Aliniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind what "weighted" means. It means it modified the chance for something to happen. In this case, it increases the chance to get something you don't have. But that doesn't mean you cannot get something you already have.

The question is how much are these weights, how are they calculated. In theory, 1% increased chance to get something you don't have is also a "weighted" drop. I do believe they made it more substantial than that though.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    xPoisin wrote: »
    So from my point of view, in fact if you do not have farmed all the other sets from specific dungeon, you may not receive the only item you are looking for 😁

Point is that is only rised chance to get something what you don't have in collection. But problem is when you don't get anything what you don't have....
    Aliniel wrote: »
    The question is how much are these weights, how are they calculated. In theory, 1% increased chance to get something you don't have is also a "weighted" drop. I do believe they made it more substantial than that though.

... so yes, the question is how much is chance rised.

Really sorry for my english
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind what "weighted" means. It means it modified the chance for something to happen. In this case, it increases the chance to get something you don't have. But that doesn't mean you cannot get something you already have.

Theres literally a dev above you who commented saying they are looking into it... its not supposed to give you things you already have, that would be the same as the old system >.<
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »

Point is that is only rised chance to get something what you don't have in collection. But problem is when you don't get anything what you don't have....

This official news
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/61131

contains this piece of text (below the last picture):
    For example, in Veteran Maelstrom arena, each time you clear the PvE challenge, you’ll receive a Maelstrom weapon that you haven’t yet collected, guaranteeing that eventually you’ll receive the specific item you’re chasing (in my case, the Perfect Crushing Wall staff!) Once you’ve fully collected an item set, any future drops for that set will be random as normal.

This indicates that the chance should be 100%.
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »

Until Inwill have all the equip farmed (mostly the sets I realy do not need from that dungeon) then I can tell you the answer. Right now it is working for me, because each time I get at least two items I have not collected before. I also receive stuff that is duplicate but TWO pieces for each run run is better than it was before. Within 20-30 runs I should have all the stuff from the dungeon in my collection.
  • mic88
    mic88
    Soul Shriven
    it works for me. At least in normal dunjon. Each time i get a item i didnt have
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working fine for some.

Then there's me. Not gotten one thing that I'm missing and there's many to choose from as dungeon running is not my thing and from the way this appears to be (not) working, isn't gonna be.

GJ, as per!

• Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran 3 LoM back to back yesterday, one of which dropped a weapon not already collected...
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday, I ran around in Deshaan, and picked up everything I was missing from the overland sets. Like, I ran around in the zone dungeon, and picked up what I could, then killed a couple of WB's, and got the last pieces that drop from them. It worked *exactly* like it was supposed to. (And it was very gratifying.)

Then I started running Arx last night as well, and started noticing dupes.

This morning, I ran around killing stuff in Craglorn, and the set piece drops were all dupes of something I have already collected.

And I've spent hours trying to catch the last rare fish in Coldharbour. Once this is fixed, can we make it apply to fishing as well?
  • luther_revan
    luther_revan
    ✭✭
    Adding my experience here. First dungeon I ran with the patch (I forgot wich one unfortunately) I droped 50/50 loot that I already got and some I dont. All the subsequent dungeon I ran (at least 5) I got only duplicate as before patch. In imperial city prison I got duplicate of the same loot during one run(3 belt first run, a few bows the second run). Not sure if the system works on specific dungeons only. I'll have to check overland too.