The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Weighted RNG not working....

• xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my first BSW Inferno after 4 years of farming today.

I'd say it works and just has some bugs. That is all.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • TempestM
    TempestM
    ✭✭✭
    Ran MGF 4 times few days ago, first 2 times got new weapon, but then got 2 rings that I had even before the Update, so something isn't working as intended. Won't farm anything until the fix to not waste time
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A friend who I ran a dungeon with was dead when the boss died and received an ordinary "already-in-the-sticker-book" item. The friend didn't die enough to find out if being dead makes the new rng not work. Maybe we can try again another day.

edited to add that we were binding drops as we got them and, other than being dead when the drop happened, it worked as we expected.
    Edited by Dojohoda on November 8, 2021 9:43AM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seems (on my end) the system randomly rolls out say a destro staff….think it’s checking to see if got any staffs missing it will drop one. If I’ve got all destro staffs it doesn’t seem to change the weapon type will just give me a random staff.

Just a pattern I’ve noticed when doing dungeons etc. Some of the duplicates I’ve got is when I’ve hit every other weapon in that type. But it was explained to us that it will drop any weapon we had missing.

Then had friends who haven’t had what I’ve had, either just random drops or system working perfectly.

-bangs head on table-
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's related of being in a group.

It works perfect when i run solo, (dungeons, worldboss, arenas...) but as soon as i'm grouped and e.g. run a dungeon, it just drops half of the runs a new item, sometimes less than half the runs.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tim77 wrote: »
    It works perfect when i run solo, (dungeons, worldboss, arenas...)

I can also confirm solo loot works perfectly. I've been farming all the perfected Maelstrom Arena weapons via curated drops.
    PC NA
  • zeroploffer
    zeroploffer
    Soul Shriven
    Ran black drake villa. received 3 times kinra's jack in 1 run. Already had it collected before.
  • tyggerbob
    tyggerbob
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also keep in mind that some pieces have 2 parts (dual wield and S&B) so there are three ways to get the S&B piece.. Mace, dagger and sword).
    What I have yet to determine is if with Dual wield if it considers dagger and sword different from sword and dagger.. depends on how the logic flows.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When doing content Solo - it seems to work almost flawlessly. The only times I got duplicate items was when those items were special "named" ones. It seems that when RNG decides to drop those - it ignores item set collections, as named items are not in item set collection (obviously). It was not relevant what content I did solo (overland, arena, group dungeon) - the curated drop system works.

I strongly suspect that all the troubles with getting an actual "duplicate" items are related to group. In group, dungeon items are tradable between group members, so maybe the system drops items that are not collected "by group" as a whole - and not individual players inside that group. So you get a duplicate - because someone else in that group does not have that item in their collection. It is only something I suspect though.
  • Gylzyn
    Gylzyn
    ✭✭✭
    I have been farming Black Drake Villa for the Kinras jewellery and Inferno Staff. I have been doing this solo. In my experience, the curation process has been working. I cannot comment if there are any issues when in a group. I can understand the issue with named items. In my view, if you have already got a named item, you shouldn't get the un-named item in a drop. The reverse is less easy, I guess, because players may wish to have a named item.

Ignoring the secret bosses, the first two bosses drop armour and having collected every item of armour for the three possible sets I will, of course, get duplicates. I will also get duplicates in chests as these are not curated. For the last boss, as I haven't collected every weapon (and I already have every possible item of jewellery), I have been getting different/uncollected items each run. NB. I got the Kinras Inferno on Friday :)

Don't forget to open chests as these may give items you haven't collected. Also, in a group, and if you are farming in a group, don't forget to bind immediately (especially if you had a chest drop) otherwise you can get a duplicate.
  • s_ch_kb16_ESO
    s_ch_kb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It is definitely not looking at other group members for loot they're missing. I was in a 4-man-group and 2 people did get items they had already collected (not named ones), despite everyone still needing stuff.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    When we going in group some dungeons, its related to final boss and higher trasure chests. So from lower bosses you just get rnd and its only chance that you will get item what you dont have. At final boss there is active new loot system. Everytime i got from final boss something what i dont have... Pitty that i was what it dont need :D but it works.
    Same thing in trials, final boss giving what you dont have.
    Edited by davidtk on November 9, 2021 10:07AM
    Really sorry for my english
  • s_ch_kb16_ESO
    s_ch_kb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It does not always work for final boss. It works most of the time for me, but that case above was final boss.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tim77 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's related of being in a group.

It works perfect when i run solo, (dungeons, worldboss, arenas...) but as soon as i'm grouped and e.g. run a dungeon, it just drops half of the runs a new item, sometimes less than half the runs.

It is group related.

Rich said on his stream on Monday that they found the bug with curated drops in groups. It is basically that everyone in the group would get the same curated list. No word on which patch it will be in.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is definitely not looking at other group members for loot they're missing. I was in a 4-man-group and 2 people did get items they had already collected (not named ones), despite everyone still needing stuff.
    One needs to first understand how this works. It is definitely looking at group members. Or, rather, a specific group member. It seems somewhat bizarre, but explains a few things I've seen in the past (such as double motif drops in The Cauldron for the first two people who loot).

Rich Lambert explains it himself here.

It also goes to explain why it seems to work flawlessly in solo content.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    One needs to first understand how this works. It is definitely looking at group members. Or, rather, a specific group member. It seems somewhat bizarre, but explains a few things I've seen in the past (such as double motif drops in The Cauldron for the first two people who loot).

So, solo the dungeon, or farm with the same player(s) so your loot tables are similar... :smile:
    Playing since beta...
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What about leaving group before looting?
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    What about leaving group before looting?

From what I understand it wouldn't matter. The first person to loot the boss will determine the drops.
    Playing since beta...
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tyggerbob wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that some pieces have 2 parts (dual wield and S&B) so there are three ways to get the S&B piece.. Mace, dagger and sword).
    What I have yet to determine is if with Dual wield if it considers dagger and sword different from sword and dagger.. depends on how the logic flows.
    If this is arena weapons S&B and DW is different sets. In dungeons you only get one weapon on last boss.
    Farmed a bit public dungeons and here it works flawlessly if you remember to bind the weapon after each drop.
    Unbound weapons don't count. This is also important if you farm a group dungeon over and over
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SickDuck
    SickDuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »
    And I've spent hours trying to catch the last rare fish in Coldharbour. Once this is fixed, can we make it apply to fishing as well?

As much as I hate fishing would not like to see this. So many people spent so many hours on master angler and similar would be pissed - for a good reason. There is already a food that attracts fish, now we got a green cp stars to speed things up. Those achievements are designed for the patient and should not be diluted more.

Put in another way: getting gear is important for your play, getting fish is not. Some people want to suffer by choice, that should be respected.
    Holdviola - Khira'de Regalo - Lélekvadász - Used To Be An Adventurer - Zetor - Does-Not-Give-A-Duck - Lord Sugar - Tenar Arha - Da'rinka - Violent Moon - Extreme Runner
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be working well for me. Lots of uncollected items.
  • s_ch_kb16_ESO
    s_ch_kb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

But in this case everybody in that group should have gotten loot that the first person looting needed, which was not the case. In this case it worked for 2 characters and didn't work for 2 other characters.
    *sigh* I guess it's just sometimes working as intended and sometimes it's one or a mix of bugs.
    Well, either way I hope they fix it soon.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me its working in an odd way.
    In a dungeon where i missed some armor pieces i constantly got a new piece per boss. Wenn i colelcted all but 5 or 6 they only dropped from every second boss.
    In a trial everything worked well until i had 3 weapons left. In 4 runs i did not drop one of these weapons, i just got 1 from a chest and 1 by trade, while the boss constantly drops duplicates.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But in this case everybody in that group should have gotten loot that the first person looting needed, which was not the case. In this case it worked for 2 characters and didn't work for 2 other characters.
    *sigh* I guess it's just sometimes working as intended and sometimes it's one or a mix of bugs.
    Well, either way I hope they fix it soon.
    True, and in another topic I mentioned posted in, I got two Battle Axes while duoing a dungeon. The other person with me also had the Battle Axe already in their collection and also got a Battle Axe (same set). It's a mixed bag. But it's still better in general than what it was and will hopefully be even better once they get the bugs ironed out.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Def not working as intended for me, and many others too, judging by all the comments and confusion in guilds/groups/friends etc.

• EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But it's still better in general than what it was and will hopefully be even better once they get the bugs ironed out.

While yes it's true, it is also way way more disappointing to get duplicate drop when we were promised uncollected drops from now on :'(
  • s_ch_kb16_ESO
    s_ch_kb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Again got a duplicate weapon from the final boss in Selene's Web that nobody needed any more on 1/4 despite everyone still needing something. It's clearly sometimes not just looking at the first person looting but still giving dupes. Also not a named weapon.
    I guess we'll have to wait for the first fix to come in and see what's possibly still not working after that. Let's hope the devs know the cause of all the bugs now and it just works after they fix those.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just after Deadlands I ran a lot of randoms. Every single drop I got was uncollected, save for the occasional unique named item. Since the hotfix where our CP got reset, I've been getting duplicates. I can't say it's the hotfix, of course, but that's just what I've noticed. As an illustration, I ran Banished Cells five times yesterday and the last boss gave me two inferno staves of Sanctuary (already collected), a resto staff of Sanctuary (already collected), a maul of the Tormentor (already collected), and a Jailbreaker battleaxe (which I needed). Every other drop from all the other bosses on all five runs was armour pieces that I already had.

I also have a question about the other bosses and their loot pools. Can they or can they not drop weapons? The Warden of the Shrine in City of Ash gave me a BSW resto (a generic one, not the named Staff of the Grove that I know he drops) but other than that I've exclusively been getting armour pieces from all the non-final bosses. I thought the conventional wisdom was that any boss could drop any piece but that the final boss must drop either a weapon or jewelry?
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • s_ch_kb16_ESO
    s_ch_kb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ususally only the final boss of a dungeon gives a weapon or (I'm pretty sure) jewelry (not 100% on that). Occasionally you can get lucky and get a random weapon from other enemies (and of course chests). Those should be random, though, I think only the final boss should be weighted RNG.
    I got a lot more weapons I needed from chests since the update, though, so looks like you're more likely to get those from them as well, but not exclusively. I think that's intended.
    Edited by s_ch_kb16_ESO on November 10, 2021 8:31PM
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a theory here:

The game does the check for "unique named item" BEFORE the check for "weapon or jewelry", and then does that BEFORE doing the check for "does the player still lack an item from this set".

Which suggests the following procedure:

- Check for named special item drop... if "yes", then the player gets this item even if the generic version is already in the sticker book

- Check for "weapon or jewelry". If it says "jewelry" now, then you're guaranteed jewelry even if it would be a duplicate, even if you are lacking one or more of the weapons. Conversely, if it says "weapon" now, then you're guaranteed a weapon, even if the weapon would be a duplicate, even if you are lacking one or more of the jewelry items.

- Only then, check whether the player is lacking a sticker book version of at least one item from the chosen item group (weapon or jewelry)

Maybe?