The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Weighted RNG not working....

• SteamKitten01
    SteamKitten01
    ✭✭✭
    I know I posted this in another thread but am posting it here too. Last night I did a random normal SCP. I wound up getting an unnamed Jorvuld's resto staff from the final boss. I ONLY have 3 known Jorvuld's weapons in my stickerbook and one of those 3 I've collected is the resto. There's literally more weapons I don't have collected in scalecaller than those I do and I still got a dupe as a drop. I also wound up getting a dupe hat when I'm still missing the helm from one of the other SCP sets.
    SteamKitten01- GM of The Traveling Torchbug (PC/NA)
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Thanks for reaching out about this. We are currently investigating. We'll follow up once we have more information.

I second that the "improved" RNG does not appear to be working in at least 3 ways:

1) Duplicate items can certainly drop before all elegable un-stickered items are obtained. Last night a guild mate received a kinras ring from the final boss. He already had one of these stickered already. He still had 2 weapons that were unobtained.

2) Bosses other than the final boss do not appear to be working at all. I received duplicate body armor pieces from all of the non-final bosses of Black Drake Villa when I had not collected all body armor peices.

3) Final boss can now drop ineligible loot: I received an unstickered chest piece from the final boss of black drake villa even though I had very few of the weapons for that dungeon collected. This was, of course, after all of the mini-bosses of the dungeon, the ones supposed to be dropping unstickered body pieces, had dropped pieces I already had collected. I think that we all can agree that we do not need the final boss of any peice of content, the soul source for 68% of the set items in perfected content, dropping the 32% that you can obtain from the other 3-5 bosses in the content.

Since I am prone to speaking my mind I will lay out the whole of my feelings here. For most folks, I don't really think the new "curated" system will help much. Because only the final boss can drop weapons and jewelry in content that has perfected versions (thank Vivec for chests in dungeons) and the loot table is so deep, you are often looking at as many a 60 runs (in vRG for instance) to guarantee your drop. Until that point, you are now also effectively unavailable to help a friend get a drop of weapon he needs but you already have. So, if you already have an inferno or dagger, the two things that people are always held up on, you can't get one for him until that point and instead will get relatively unimportant sticker stuff for yourself. It is nice to get sticker stuff but realistically, most endgame players get their key items from the relatively few super raiders that get duplicate items on their way to picking up the last few unimportant sticker things they feel completionistically compelled to get. Between the colossal depth of the loot pool and wide disparity between players in how often they run I just doubt that the endgame raider who raids at the median rate will actually experience fewer average runs to getting the item that he or she needs to make the build.

The big grind problem for loot in most content (solo stuff excluded as this system should totally fix the can't get my vMA inferno issue) is not duplicate items but rather that 68% of the items only drop from the final boss. This was not always so I might add. There was a time final bosses in trials and dungeons always dropped jewelry and only jewelry. At that time all the other bosses dropped both weapons and armor. My infallible inferno (BIS at the time and viable for a long time) actually came from the first boss of vHRC. You really should go back to that system. or maybe have the first half of the bosses drop armor, the second half weapons, and the final jewelry. 68% of the items from one boss just doesn't work, 60 total runs to loot completion in vRG is not acceptable.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happened to me too. During Sunspire got almost nothing new, while I could see my guildmates getting many of what I needed for my own stickerbook. Same in the Rockgrove run we did immediately next.

On the other side, it worked flawlessly in zones' WBs. I've got several of Gold Coast's sets' weapons while farming the lead from Limenauruus.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run a handful of dungeons today by myself and whenever I got up to a boss that could potentially drop a piece I didn't have, I got one I didn't have each time.

So it's working on my end, but I'll run more dungeons to see if I can't replicate anything here.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Eormenric
    Eormenric
    ✭✭✭
    Did a random vet dungeon: Depth of Malatar. Every drop was something new.

Specifically chose vet dungeon: Crypt of Hearts 1. Half of the drops were something new.

I totally would have understood if doing random dungeons activated this curated loot--although the uproar, phew!--in order to stimulate queues, but since others say otherwise that's not the case.

I'm eyeballing the arenas, waiting for a confirmation that this system is working 100% of the time. I am not spending 3 hours in vDSA for a dupe.
  • Zalathorm
    Zalathorm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Few variables to consider

1. You must bind a weapon right when it drops to avoid getting it again in the next farm run (if you are doing them back to back). If you loot a weapon you need from a chest, bind it right away so you dont get it again at the end boss.
    2. Chest drops are not curated
    3. The curated item must be eligible on that boss. You aren't going to get a weapon on one of the middle bosses. You'll get a body set and if you have all the body sets, it'll be a duplicate
    4. Jewelry might work the same? IDK but maybe the game decides you're going to get a jewelry piece on this drop. Scans your book. You have them all, but it still drops one instead of a weapon that you need??
    5. Someone told me there might be a 10min "cooldown" on curated items dropping from the last boss. Not sure but worth looking into for dungeons that you clear FAST

I've done probably 25 farm runs of normal dungeons and there was 1 occasion where I got a weapon I already had
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the impression that in some instances it works very well and in others seems to not work at all. I have some dungeons where i dont get anything uncollected while in others every boss drops one. I had a dungeon where i missed 1 armor piece and i had to kill 6 armor bosses over 2 runs to get it while the end boss always dropped an uncolected weapon. I also notice that i see way more items i could need drop for group members than before.
  • Eormenric
    Eormenric
    ✭✭✭
    Just cleared vMA and got new things from the last boss (the arena weapon and a previously unknown regular weapon).

I'm going to run Vateshran Hollows now on a different character and see what happens. I'll edit this post with the results.
  • Luvtantius_Micocia
    Luvtantius_Micocia
    ✭✭✭
    Ran the Depths of Malatar, every drop I already had in my collection. On another account I have I got lots of uncollected items running White Gold Tower. So to me it seems a hit or miss but sure not working as explained how it should work. :/
    I like eating sweetrolls and crushing skulls, and I am all out of sweetrolls.
  • BlackKnight556
    BlackKnight556
    ✭✭✭
    I've run Vaults of Madness 6 times since the update attempting to farm Rattlecage equipment and I keep getting items that I've already collected. In fact, out of the two times I got something new one of those times was from a treasure chest. 99% of the time I get duplicates of items that are already in my collections book.
  • Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did also several dungeon runs now, and it worked around 50% of the time =(
  • HertoginJanneke
    HertoginJanneke
    ✭✭✭✭
    The last few days I completed my overland collections for several regions by running the public dungeons. All but 1 of the drops were unknown item but sometimes I did not get loot at all (2-3 times in a row, on different bosses), even when I was the only one who was fighting the boss. The only double drop I got was my own fault : I forgot to bind the previous drop. The few dungeons I ran so far all dropped something I did not know yet :)
  • MissHeartseekerx
    MissHeartseekerx
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm getting drops for things I've already collected. Ran Wayrest 2 the other day to help a friend get his helm, everything that dropped was already collected. Same happened in all the other dungeons I ran, I think I only managed to get 2 items I hadn't collected overall.
    PC EUMy mains:Ammelin <Spirit Slayer> - Bosmer Stamblade, DDDovesi Indarys <Extinguisher of Flames> - Dunmer Magcro, HealerRochelle Draconis <Shadow Breaker> - Breton Magsorc, TankLingers-in-Shadow <Bonecallers Bane> - Argonian Magplar, Healer
  • s_ch_kb16_ESO
    s_ch_kb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. Worked fine on 2 runs yesterday, but got a duplicate today in City of Ash I despite still needing 2 weapons. It worked fine in Arx Corinium earlier today, where someone else in here had problems, so I don't think it's dungeon-related.
    It was not a named weapon, btw, since some people speculated that that was the problem.
    Edited by s_ch_kb16_ESO on November 4, 2021 2:12PM
  • DemonSp7
    DemonSp7
    Soul Shriven
    I ran black drake villa on normal yesterday with a friend about 10 times, we're only interested in the final boss, we both got dupes 2 times out of 10 when we both have a crap tonne of uncollected weapons. It's such a complete utter waste of time trudging through that crap to get a dupe. What a joke.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would say it is working 98% of the time

I had two incidents it dropped an item I already had, 1 was indeed a unique-named one but the other was a normal drop
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ran an Arx Cor for the infamous Medusa staff... got a Medusa greatsword that I already had collected, so much for "weighted rng" where you wouldnt get duplicates if you still needed collection pieces huh, what a joke although I'm not surpised by anything that doesnt work correctly in this game
    Did you get generic Medusa Greatsword, or Sillistrix's Siphon? Some people are reporting that named items aren't counted correctly.

It was the named sword, however it still says "collected" on the item, so their system doesnt work either way, like I said, I'm not surprised that yet another thing doesnt work correctly in eso...

Well its not that the system doesn't work its just got a bug lol There is a difference, no use huffing and puffing over it. Wait till its fixed and focus on other gear in the meanwhile.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on November 6, 2021 12:25AM
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So today i run BDV like 20 times, solo & with pugs.

Indeed, at the beginning I had weird situation when i have received the stuff I already had. One Maul, and twice jewelry.

But then system started to work and i got new weapon every time i run.

Also, funny thing - drop from simple chests are so far the best! Got around 4-5 new weapon from simple, but no new stuff from inter, adv & master XD

EDIT: also, after more than dozen runs, I got lead i didn't expected - Stainless Imperial Band. Kinda weak rng imho :p
    Edited by Ippokrates on November 6, 2021 12:27AM
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Curation system has been working flawlessly on all of of my dungeon runs, normal and veteran.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

Indeed, at the beginning I had weird situation when i have received the stuff I already had. One Maul, and twice jewelry.

Also, funny thing - drop from simple chests are so far the best! Got around 4-5 new weapon from simple, but no new stuff from inter, adv & master XD

EDIT: also, after more than dozen runs, I got lead i didn't expected - Stainless Imperial Band. Kinda weak rng imho :p

That's weird since chests aren't curated with the new weighted RNG.
    Edited by huntgod_ESO on November 6, 2021 12:45AM
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zalathorm wrote: »

1. You must bind a weapon right when it drops to avoid getting it again in the next farm run (if you are doing them back to back). If you loot a weapon you need from a chest, bind it right away so you dont get it again at the end boss.
    3. The curated item must be eligible on that boss. You aren't going to get a weapon on one of the middle bosses. You'll get a body set and if you have all the body sets, it'll be a duplicate
    4. Jewelry might work the same? IDK but maybe the game decides you're going to get a jewelry piece on this drop. Scans your book. You have them all, but it still drops one instead of a weapon that you need??
    5. Someone told me there might be a 10min "cooldown" on curated items dropping from the last boss. Not sure but worth looking into for dungeons that you clear FAST

I've done probably 25 farm runs of normal dungeons and there was 1 occasion where I got a weapon I already had
    Adding to this list:

6. Named items definitely are not currently participating in the curated drops system. I don't know if this is intentional or not.
    7. The middle bosses don't all drop all body pieces. Three bosses (a.k.a. mini bosses) per dungeon only drop a hand, waist, or feet set piece. Two bosses will drop either a chest, shoulder, head or leg set piece. Any boss can drop named/unique pieces.
    8. Drops appear to be determined at the time the boss dies. If the boss dies, but you wait to you bind an item in your inventory, either from an earlier boss or from a trade, you can still receive that same exact item when you loot the current boss, because the drop already happened, even if you haven't yet looted.

FWIW, within those limitations, the system has worked flawlessly for me so far.
    • I've run normal Arx Corinium about 20 times, and nobody in my group received any unexpected duplicates any of those times.
    • I've also run vMA three times, and none of those three times received any duplicates besides the stages 1-8 chests, which I'd already collected all sticker book items for. Note, I started all three runs after U32 release.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah can say this aint working like its supposed to. Just did random normal and weapon dropped I already got, where there were another six I havent collected yet....I would say im shocked it doesn't work....but I am not.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

That's weird since chests aren't curated with the new weighted RNG.

Yup, they are not but since patch numbers of uncollected stuff droping from chests increased ;)
    Edited by Ippokrates on November 6, 2021 10:52AM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely not quite right - Moongrave Fane I got stuff I already had before stuff I was missing even allowing for the fact some things only drop some parts. Black Drake on the other hand worked flawlessly, although it did decide to fill out both the other sets of clothing pieces before I got any Kinras.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zalathorm wrote: »

Well, none of that applies to LoM, which takes 30-40 minutes to clear, and which gave me 2 weapons that I already had in my stickerbook from 3 consecutive runs, none of which were named. If we're supposed to get drops that are curated, something in this seems to not be working properly in some instances.

However, since Monday, when I did the 3 LoM runs in hopes of getting the Z'ens inferno, during the following days I've had some better luck with filling a few uncollected items.
    Edited by Bat on November 6, 2021 12:35PM
  • Hamiltonmath
    Hamiltonmath
    ✭✭✭
    Some of our friends had every item collected except Kinras inferno so we went with them to up our chances to get the inferno. That person kept pulling inferno after inferno once it was all they needed. HOWEVER, occasionally (like 1 out of every 10 runs), they would get a random maul or sword. I think it may have been because we were going quickly?
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is limited to farming world bosses in the Deadlands dlc. Sometimes the boss dropped a leg, chest, or helmet I already had instead of a missing weapon. But that only happened a couple of times. It could have been because I didn’t bind a previous drop that was duplicated.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I run the dungeon twice and I have 2 weapons left I expect to get both weapons and not anything else.

If thats not how its designed, then they need to do a much better job of explaining it to the average player than they have been.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new drop system is definitely not good.. I have 6 items left for Cloudrest none dropped got duplicates of items i already collected, same with Deadlands sets, I need one item to finish all the overland drop sets, getting duplicates of items i have collected.

ZOS acknowledges the issue on day of release nothing more since then. Just another broken part of the game.

Update:
    On the evening of Nov 6th I did 5 Trials out of the 30 items that I need to complete the collections in those Trials only 1 item drop was new. Everything else, included all the Coffer drops of which were all duplicates of items already collected.
    Edited by majulook on November 7, 2021 5:33PM
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    This new drop system is definitely not good.. I have 6 items left for Cloudrest none dropped got duplicates of items i already collected, same with Deadlands sets, I need one item to finish all the overland drop sets, getting duplicates of items i have collected.

ZOS acknowledges the issue on day of release nothing more since then. Just another broken part of the game.

They said they’re looking into it. Doesn’t mean the system isn’t working as intended.

I stand by with what they said initially during the reveal/first look: it’s not and never was designed to be a 100% drop of a missing piece. Rather each piece has an individual chance to drop and as you play more that particular piece’s chances of dropping increase.

When you get a piece, it’s RNG chance resets but the others still have increased chances of appearing and will continue to increase until you get it.