Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lootable alchemy bottles give zero potions…

Rittings
Rittings
✭✭✭✭✭
PS4 NA server

Basically I get my low level trash potions from lootable alchemy bottles around the world… but now you get nothing when you pick one up anywhere in Tamriel. I can’t imagine this is intended… if the bottle is considered stealing, you’ll get the bounty if seen, but won’t actually have anything in your inventory. Ticket submitted but no response.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for reporting this! I noticed this too, since Blackwood patch I think. PC EU, so it looks bugged on all platforms.

When I click on alchemy bottles (which are lootable in the world, such as placed on tables for example), sometimes they give me some water or potion, but often they simply disappear - without giving any loot.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed it specifically in Blackwood zones, but sometimes other places.

I wasn't sure if that was just RNG deciding 'nope you didn't find anything useful', or if particular objects were placed as interactable furniture but not hooked up to loot tables or something.
    PC NA
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get this bug in Coldharbour, Cyrodiil, Imperial City, Shadowfen...

No, alchemy bottles in the world were always giving loot before Blackwood patch.
    Might this bug be related to addition of new Blackwood antiquity lead which drops from water nodes? :o
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    I get this bug in Coldharbour, Cyrodiil, Imperial City, Shadowfen...

No, alchemy bottles in the world were always giving loot before Blackwood patch.
    Might this bug be related to addition of new Blackwood antiquity lead which drops from water nodes? :o

Actually I think this bug might be related to Bastian. He's got a passive ability to find better potions for you. So it's possible that those "invisible potions" really ought to give better potions whenever you have Bastian out, but it got bugged.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely a Bastian problem.

When you take a potion bottle in the world, you can get either one of 3 items:
    1. A potion
    2. A poison
    3. A solvent

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_SarahHecker After Blackwood, you can still receive poisons or solvents, but if your dice roll said that you were supposed to receive a potion, you will receive nothing.

And why is this a Bastian problem? Because this is a bug with Bastian's companion passive. If you have Bastian active, this bug doesn't occur. If you don't have Bastian active, you'll get this bug. This bugs affects all players, regardless of whether or not they have unlocked companions. If Bastian is not active and by your side, you'll encounter this bug.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    This is definitely a Bastian problem.

When you take a potion bottle in the world, you can get either one of 3 items:
    1. A potion
    2. A poison
    3. A solvent

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_SarahHecker After Blackwood, you can still receive poisons or solvents, but if your dice roll said that you were supposed to receive a potion, you will receive nothing.

And why is this a Bastian problem? Because this is a bug with Bastian's companion passive. If you have Bastian active, this bug doesn't occur. If you don't have Bastian active, you'll get this bug. This bugs affects all players, regardless of whether or not they have unlocked companions. If Bastian is not active and by your side, you'll encounter this bug.

Oof. So for now I guess I have to drag Bastian out of hiding whenever I want to loot potions. I feel bad for new players tho. I remember when I was a new player, I had to rely on the potions I found at times because I just never had enough gold to buy things from NPC merchants....
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting, thanks for info on the real cause of this bug! I would never figure this out, cause I don't even own Blackwood :o So this bug affects everyone, even if they can't access companions.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info everyone. We are looking into this.
    Staff Post
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooh, this is one of those small annoying things I noticed during wandering gameplay but didn't give much thought to.

It's definitely been going on since Blackwood launched, and hearing that it is related to Bastian's perk, that is weird. I haven't even done Bastian's quest (I'm gonna wait until I fully level up Mirri so sometime around October or something)

Glad it's a bug and not an intended... thing...

Edit: PC-NA here
    Edited by JoeCapricorn on July 2, 2021 3:19PM
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't looted many recently, but before you could also get decorative wax from lootable alchemy bottles as well.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't looted many recently, but before you could also get decorative wax from lootable alchemy bottles as well.

I'm still sometimes getting alchemy furniture mats and even sometimes wax, even from "invisible" potions. But it feels a lot less common than normal....
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »

I'm still sometimes getting alchemy furniture mats and even sometimes wax, even from "invisible" potions. But it feels a lot less common than normal....

I think this is because a good chunk of wax was looted in addition to a potion. When you roll the potion, you get nothing, so no extra wax. Other than that, wax could be looted with water solvents, that still works. It looks like the whole loot table for potion rolls was erased.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it’s been logged now. Was weird getting a bounty for looting nothing…
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    Glad it’s been logged now. Was weird getting a bounty for looting nothing…

OOOh do you still get a bounty for stealing absolutely nothing but air? That's pretty hilarious :D

"But I thought the air was free!"
    Guard: "Nope, you got to pay a premium around here to breath"
  • KurganNazzir
    KurganNazzir
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind, I misread a comment.
    Edited by KurganNazzir on July 6, 2021 6:01PM
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    Even accounts that do not have Blackwood are affected.

They fix Mirri so she does actually occasionally give us something extra when we loot chests, and break the lootable potions tied up with Bastion's perk.

• K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a small update. Alchemy bottles with vampiric models are not affected by this bug. I tested the ones scattered in the various overland camps in the Reach and they yield potions of health. It's possible that bottles in Castle Thorn are also working correctly but I haven't run that dungeon in a while.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any plan to fix this? There have been a few updates since it was reported (I submitted a bug report the same day Blackwood was released) yet it still occurs.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a little idea why alchemy bottles are bugged. With the advent of the Stonethorn DLC, we have seen items appearing also called "Alchemy bottle", but with a different shape. From then on the old alchemy bottles (some of them) no longer worked well.
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s being caused by Bastians ability that seemingly doesn’t even do anything anyway lol.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s being caused by Bastians ability that seemingly doesn’t even do anything anyway lol.

I remember not being able to loot from certain alchemy bottles even before Bastian. It was from Stonethorn DLC, IMHO
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rishikesa108
    Stonethorn introduced the vampire elixir type bottles and they have a different loot table from the beginning. They drop poison solvents instead of water and I think only health potions. Their wax yield was lower too. They weren't buggy at any point, they were designed that way. Vanilla bottles remained unaffected right up till Blackwood release, and I know for sure because I've been farming them every day for many months now, it's what I use for sustain in overland content like world bosses.

Since my previous post, I got Bastian and I'm back to farming potions. The perk doesn't work exactly as described. You always get two potions, with around 15-20% chance that one of them will be an improved potion. It's far from advertised 30% on every potion. The new potion drop table also had the wax removed from it. When I unsummon Bastian it's back to getting no potions whatsoever. I think the intent here was to give non-Bastian players single plain potion drops, and with Bastian to double the drops. That being said, I haven't tested the vampire bottles with Bastian yet but I suspect they might be unaffected by either the bugged loot table or the companion perk.

EDIT: So it turns out wax can be looted on a potion roll. They just dramatically reduced the chances for both wax and resin. After a full round of Hollow City farming I usually have 1-2 bits of wax and with Bastian it's about the same. Urns and mudcrabs are now the more reliable sources.
    Edited by K9002 on August 8, 2021 12:35PM
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    K9002 wrote: »
    @Rishikesa108
    Stonethorn introduced the vampire elixir type bottles and they have a different loot table from the beginning. They drop poison solvents instead of water and I think only health potions. Their wax yield was lower too. They weren't buggy at any point, they were designed that way. Vanilla bottles remained unaffected right up till Blackwood release, and I know for sure because I've been farming them every day for many months now, it's what I use for sustain in overland content like world bosses.

Since my previous post, I got Bastian and I'm back to farming potions. The perk doesn't work exactly as described. You always get two potions, with around 15-20% chance that one of them will be an improved potion. It's far from advertised 30% on every potion. The new potion drop table also had the wax removed from it. When I unsummon Bastian it's back to getting no potions whatsoever. I think the intent here was to give non-Bastian players single plain potion drops, and with Bastian to double the drops. That being said, I haven't tested the vampire bottles with Bastian yet but I suspect they might be unaffected by either the bugged loot table or the companion perk.

EDIT: So it turns out wax can be looted on a potion roll. They just dramatically reduced the chances for both wax and resin. After a full round of Hollow City farming I usually have 1-2 bits of wax and with Bastian it's about the same. Urns and mudcrabs are now the more reliable sources.

I meant that I have noticed bugs in some alchemy bottles since the release of the Stonethorn DLC. But vampire alchemy bottles are not affected. Maybe these are the cause of the bug, because they have the same name as the older ones. It is only the old-shaped ones that sometimes do not give loot. If the system detects two objects of different shapes but with the same name, it could be that they can malfunction, if they are not specially fixed .

• Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    I have a little idea why alchemy bottles are bugged. With the advent of the Stonethorn DLC, we have seen items appearing also called "Alchemy bottle", but with a different shape. From then on the old alchemy bottles (some of them) no longer worked well.

I remember not being able to loot from certain alchemy bottles even before Bastian. It was from Stonethorn DLC, IMHO

Same here
    PC | EU
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    K9002 wrote: »
    @Rishikesa108

I meant that I have noticed bugs in some alchemy bottles since the release of the Stonethorn DLC. But vampire alchemy bottles are not affected. Maybe these are the cause of the bug, because they have the same name as the older ones. It is only the old-shaped ones that sometimes do not give loot. If the system detects two objects of different shapes but with the same name, it could be that they can malfunction, if they are not specially fixed .

I agree
    PC | EU
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »
    Is there any plan to fix this? There have been a few updates since it was reported (I submitted a bug report the same day Blackwood was released) yet it still occurs.

What platform are you playing on? It has been fixed on the PC (NA). Not all alchemy bottles are lootable if you are referring to the vampiric ones, they are unlikely to change that. The bug was with the older style alchemy bottles we have had for years.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aussie500 wrote: »

What platform are you playing on? It has been fixed on the PC (NA). Not all alchemy bottles are lootable if you are referring to the vampiric ones, they are unlikely to change that. The bug was with the older style alchemy bottles we have had for years.

I’m on PS, but I think this is still not fixed on any platform. Some alchemy bottles you can loot, but get nothing from them. No more trash pots from these at all… but you still get a bounty if you steal them and get nothing… a bounty for stealing nothing… obviously a bug, and it is related to Bastians passive ability… which also is non-functional.

• Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    aussie500 wrote: »

I’m on PS, but I think this is still not fixed on any platform. Some alchemy bottles you can loot, but get nothing from them. No more trash pots from these at all… but you still get a bounty if you steal them and get nothing… a bounty for stealing nothing… obviously a bug, and it is related to Bastians passive ability… which also is non-functional.

Is this still bugged? For some reason it gives level 1 potions that have no sell value to a max level, max crafting character.

Bastion is kind of annoying and useless too. 😊
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart