The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shadowfen node farming wars

• ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you know we've been reading your feedback about the Shadowfen Tide-Beads/kilt lead drop-rate, the time needed, and the challenges getting a drop during this initial launch rush. We are taking your feedback and concerns into consideration as we review the current lead drop-rate data. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us - if we do make any changes, we'll let you know.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We wanted to let you know we've been reading your feedback about the Shadowfen Tide-Beads/kilt lead drop-rate, the time needed, and the challenges getting a drop during this initial launch rush. We are taking your feedback and concerns into consideration as we review the current lead drop-rate data. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us - if we do make any changes, we'll let you know.

i farmed it for 2 days (with sleep and breaks) and farmed like 400+ nodes before getting it. it's absurdly rare.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lerozain wrote: »
    The apologists who run to the defense of this lead utterly baffle me. What is engaging about this? or enjoyable? or profitable? or interesting? Nothing. It's mind-numbing and sucks all the excitement out of the chapter for anyone who's interested in obtaining the Kilt.

It's a Mythic item. They shouldn't drop like candy.

And in about a month, nobody will be in Shadowfen and you can leisurely run from node to node while you do other stuff to obtain the lead.

The game is designed to be played as a whole. If you are going to go off the deep end on one aspect, that is entirely on you.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Stevie6
    Stevie6
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for looking into it. However, I hope the DEVS will look into the dps gap between Casual Players and Elite Player base. "Raising the Floor" didn't happen and Proc Sets for Magicka players got gutted. I have to find a "stamina" solution for my magicka characters in order for them to have damage. lol. As a solo player, I've been using heavy armor setup for survival. Please consider looking at PRE MORROWIND NERF when magicka players had damage and shields as well as PRE ICEHEART changes. I do like my stamcro's damage output but my magicka characters are lacking.... :'(
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thank the Nine Divines.
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    Would make more sense if antiquity leads dropped from, for example, bookcases rather than a soggy plant. The book could even contain some lead-specific lore, putting what you're doing into some kind of context rather than it all being completely arbitrary.

Not as engaging as standing in a swamp for hours, I admit.
  • Myrddin1357
    Myrddin1357
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the update! This is hands down the best post I've seen in these forums in a while. I really don't want to spend any more 6 hour sessions running around hoping it finally drops. Happy to hear there is at least a chance of a less frustrating experience in future.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why you save up cakes and mud balls from events!

So you can start some light heated fun when new things come oout!
    Edited by RedTalon on June 7, 2021 4:19PM
  • kmontywrwb17_ESO
    kmontywrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    deyjasagus wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but have I been playing online games so long that this doesn't even seem unreasonable to me? I played Everquest and camping a mob for a single component to gear like Ivy Etched could take up to a week of online time. You had one mob that was the placeholder for the one you needed and the one you needed didn't drop the item whenever he spawned.

I brought up EverQuest when I was in Shadowfen on the weekend farming the chains for set drops, and reading zone chat. These newer MMO players don't take kindly to that kind of effort. The entitlement is pretty much off the chart, but don't you dare suggest that! Don't believe me? Mention EQ and how it usually took 3 months of continual camping to get a final epic weapon drop, and you'll be submerged in a tsunami of Zoomer outrage and abuse.

I mean, a few hours camping is nothing. Enjoy the ride.

• Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

In my opinion it's a bit too late - a lot of us have already farmed the item and suffered the hours required to get it.

I'd prefer it if our feedback can be kept in mind when the next mythic item leads are planned - so that we don't have this kind of thing happen again.
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the update! This is hands down the best post I've seen in these forums in a while. I really don't want to spend any more 6 hour sessions running around hoping it finally drops. Happy to hear there is at least a chance of a less frustrating experience in future.

You don't have to... simply do something else
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combining ridiculously low drop rate with a source that drives competition rather than cooperation has made this utterly awful.
  • Myrddin1357
    Myrddin1357
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me but have I been playing online games so long that this doesn't even seem unreasonable to me? I played Everquest and camping a mob for a single component to gear like Ivy Etched could take up to a week of online time. You had one mob that was the placeholder for the one you needed and the one you needed didn't drop the item whenever he spawned.

I brought up EverQuest when I was in Shadowfen on the weekend farming the chains for set drops, and reading zone chat. These newer MMO players don't take kindly to that kind of effort. The entitlement is pretty much off the chart, but don't you dare suggest that! Don't believe me? Mention EQ and how it usually took 3 months of continual camping to get a final epic weapon drop, and you'll be submerged in a tsunami of Zoomer outrage and abuse.

ESO is not a traditional MMO in many ways. I would guess a significant section of the player base approaches this game a single play game with some group play thrown in. Many of them are probably elder scrolls fans who are enjoying ESO while waiting for ES6.

In any case, I don't see why frustrating grinding has to be part of the ESO experience just because an earlier game had it and veteran MMO players are used to such grinds. If week long grinds don't both you, more power to you. You have no cause to complain.

This particular grind is bothering a lot of people and they should absolutely provide such feedback to zos as long as they do it respectfully.
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is exactly why I didn't play Everquest for very long in the first place. The grinding was insane. Calling it "entitlement" to expect enjoyment from a game that you're paying for in order to have fun is completely ridiculous. This is not asking for money for doing no work - this is time and money we spend in order to enjoy our leisure time by playing a game. You're referencing Everquest like you survived the Great Depression, and these "Zoomer kids" are just spoiled rotten. That is a problem for that game. It was a game that felt like a job, and it was not fun at all precisely because it was so crazy grindy.

Many games reward incentives to players for participation and/or achievement through effort and talent. That's great. I have zero problems with other leads and their designs for provision. If I have to practice and challenge myself to achieve something, that adds value to the game and to my experience. But there is a point where a reward is not worth the time invested, especially if that time invested adds zero enjoyment value, creates conflict with other players, and fails to improve my gaming experience in any way whatsoever. If that reward becomes a gate for continued participation in certain game activities, that's even worse, because then it's a decision to either do this horribly boring thing or end my time doing those activities.

How much time should we be forced to waste in a game, which is supposed to be fun, doing something that is zero fun so that we can do something fun later? I keep asking this question and no one ever answers it. My personal answer is this: it should all be fun, because it's a game. There are over 7300 gear pieces in the game. How much time does ZOS intend for people to spend in the game to get all of them, and is the quality of that time spent designed such that it keeps the game engaging and enjoyable? Most of the things that ZOS requires for certain rewards are great, even when they seem grindy. I give them due credit for that. They expose players to new zones and experiences, they present and reward challenges, they provide incentives for socialization and cooperation. This Shadowfen thing does none of that.

Also, it's fallacious to assign "entitlement" to a particular generation or subset of the population. Everyone, regardless of age, race, or creed, is subject to feeling that they are entitled to something in one way or another. All it does is unfairly reinforce stereotypes, and besides which, it's bad form, and it's an unfair characterization as well as an inappropriate attempt to shame people who should rightly feel outraged at this particular situation.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »

This is exactly why I didn't play Everquest for very long in the first place. The grinding was insane. Calling it "entitlement" to expect enjoyment from a game that you're paying for in order to have fun is completely ridiculous. This is not asking for money for doing no work - this is time and money we spend in order to enjoy our leisure time by playing a game.

I wish I could pin this post some where on the board.

Fun is apparently not allowed in ESO because the presumption is that to have fun you must have it easy - so silly.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Ellimist_Entreri
    Ellimist_Entreri
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a tip for anyone still enduring this grind;

Turn off auto-loot & group up, everyone can "check" the node for a lead as long as nobody loots the resources within, reducing the strain of finding "open nodes". If you are in an area with multiple nodes nearby you can use this to increase farming efficiency tremendously!
  • Starshadw
    Starshadw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would make more sense if antiquity leads dropped from, for example, bookcases rather than a soggy plant. The book could even contain some lead-specific lore, putting what you're doing into some kind of context rather than it all being completely arbitrary.

Yes, technically all leads "should" drop this way in terms of immersion - via books, notes, etc. But the fact that they drop via multiple in-game means is excellent game design - it encourages people to participate in aspects of the game they might otherwise not.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Glad to know we're not being ignored, thank you for the update Jessica!
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starshadw wrote: »

Yes, technically all leads "should" drop this way in terms of immersion - via books, notes, etc. But the fact that they drop via multiple in-game means is excellent game design - it encourages people to participate in aspects of the game they might otherwise not.

It seems this particular lead is keyed to a theme rather than a realistic idea of where it would be found. The key word being "Tide" to which at that point I am wondering why they didn't just put it on every water node tbh.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    The apologists who run to the defense of this lead utterly baffle me. What is engaging about this? or enjoyable? or profitable? or interesting? Nothing. It's mind-numbing and sucks all the excitement out of the chapter for anyone who's interested in obtaining the Kilt.

And in about a month, nobody will be in Shadowfen and you can leisurely run from node to node while you do other stuff to obtain the lead.

The game is designed to be played as a whole. If you are going to go off the deep end on one aspect, that is entirely on you.

I agree, but it is also a terrible design and people providing feedback are performing a valuable service for ZoS when they consider such designs in the future.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    AlnilamE wrote: »

I agree, but it is also a terrible design and people providing feedback are performing a valuable service for ZoS when they consider such designs in the future.

Yeah, but I doubt they will roll out a way to grind this without it feeling like a grind. And... it will be a grind, no matter whether they do something about it or not.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • frompa
    frompa
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

The change needs to be the zone. Extend the search area to anywhere with water nodes.
  • Dayhjawk
    Dayhjawk
    ✭✭✭
    My 2 cents:

Instead of shadowfens only, perhaps add the chance to drop to muckmire and blackwood since they connect. I again the drop rate seems very very VERY low. As for the number of players and nodes, i think adding the drop to muckmire, blackwood, and shadowfens might help that.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I have given up Antiquities and nothing you say or do can get me to do it again.
  • FinrodMacBeorn
    FinrodMacBeorn
    ✭✭✭
    frompa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

The change needs to be the zone. Extend the search area to anywhere with water nodes.

No, the change has to be the lead drop rate which probably is also easier to implement.

With a drop rate of 1% and an average respawn rate of 3 min (just educated guesses), the average time to get the lead would be 100x3 min = 5 h - if you just camp a single node and do something else while keeping an eye on your char to let the time not be a complete waste.

However, the waiting time distribution is heavy-tailed, which means that extremely long waiting times to success are much more likely than our human feeling - based on more normal random generators - tells us. More than 13% of people won't get the lead in 10 h, and still almost 2% will need more than 20 h. Even the 40 h reported by some people are not unlikely regarding the number of people earnestly interested in the mythic.

I've nothing against a certain amount of grind if it involves active game play (even fishing for a few hours), but a repetition of this kind of dull acitivity could make me leave the game as it would be a definitive sign that the devs do not respect their paying customers.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a drop rate of 1% and an average respawn rate of 3 min (just educated guesses), the average time to get the lead would be 100x3 min = 5 h - if you just camp a single node and do something else while keeping an eye on your char to let the time not be a complete waste.

A drop rate of 1% has an average number of attempts (50-50 chance) of 70, not 100.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • frompa
    frompa
    ✭✭
    frompa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

How about both? *mind blown!!*
  • Nazarousb14_ESO
    Nazarousb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Two days ago had a player stand on a node I had been at for sometime, and started dropping a memento with four fire pillars that also had an e interaction. I kept shifting around so he couldn't get an idea where the node actually spawned. For what ever reason this node took an extra long time to respawn, about 20 mins this time. I got it and it had the lead. Taunted the guy for a bit and zoned out.
    I am not certain if the extra time to respawn is a indication that it will drop but I find it odd that it had been the normal 2 to 10 mins until he came over and started trying to steal the node, and it dropping.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

In my opinion it's a bit too late - a lot of us have already farmed the item and suffered the hours required to get it.

I'd prefer it if our feedback can be kept in mind when the next mythic item leads are planned - so that we don't have this kind of thing happen again.

Many of us havent started to farm the lead yet so an increase in dropchance is welcomed indeed. dont want to go through hell as many others have done to get it.
  • IAmBones
    IAmBones
    ✭✭✭
    Ah...Farming... the bain of MMO players since, well 1999 for me. Everquest was FULL of it...I loved camping Quillmane I think was the name, oh.. and the named Brownie's. Those were the days...

As far as ESO, the Badlands was the worst one I have done thus far... 6 hours. I did finally find a sweet spot I could just stand, and watch some Netflix. I understand the frustration, but trust me when I tell you, it could be MUCH worse. So buck up youngins...if us BOOMERS and do it, you can to. =)