Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im staying support. Although the build works solo too.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    any major changes for your templars with the new update?

Nerf to burning light, backlash, radial sweep, puncturing sweeps.

They removed the healing from ritual of retribution, slightly reworked light weaver passive to not be as useless.

So mostly just nerfs.

Are you testing a different build? I've gone back to Alfyiq + CA + Malacath: 5 heavy...i'm frankly quite bored of this setup so was wondering if anyone had something more interesting to bring to the table.
  • Khatou
    Khatou
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great guy, motivate even more players to play this class already well abused in PVP, keep on kicking the pvp, you're on the right track...
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They removed the healing from ritual of retribution, slightly reworked light weaver passive to not be as useless.

So mostly just nerfs.

Are you testing a different build? I've gone back to Alfyiq + CA + Malacath: 5 heavy...i'm frankly quite bored of this setup so was wondering if anyone had something more interesting to bring to the table.

Respite/trans both back barred with snb, masters frost staff front, monster of choice has been my go to small group build for a couple months. I run it solo too. Im in 4 welfitted 3 sturdy. Got some videos if u wanna see.

What kind of build are u looking for though? Templars are kinda sub par at anything but spammable against potatoes standing still. (Why i use immobilize to hit or extra stamina pressure).
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khatou wrote: »
    Great guy, motivate even more players to play this class already well abused in PVP, keep on kicking the pvp, you're on the right track...

Well abused class? What the hell do you mean with that? Its strong 1v1 and does good group support, but thats it, nothing extraordinary there.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So mostly just nerfs.

Oh I've been playing ranged on magplar for a few patches now, and thi patch with all the procsets I can't see myself go melee.
    My current setup is 5 eternal vigor(jewellery+chest and legs, swift x3, reinforced and infused), 5 caluurion(small pieces all well fitted and sharp fire staff), 2pc slimecraw both well fitted, and master ice staff backbar infused with spell dmg glyph.
    Gets about 2k mag recovery, 1k hp and stam recov, 4k spell dmg and 28k mag fuly buffed.
    The burst with dark flare, javelin and calurion is pretty deadly against most players, I've tried a lot of different setups for ranged plar but so far this one is my favorite, the extra Stam sutan for EV makes a huge difference, and the hp recovery below 50% is pretty good too.
    Not a tank build, but with 3x and rat you can kite around LOS pretty well.

I did mock about with a melee build a few bgs, 5stuhn, 5 hist sap, malacath, malubeth, 5 heavy.
    It was pretty tanky with some solid burst dmg, but I just find the playstyle too boring for my taste, and honestly playing ranged is just safer most of the time, even on a squishier build.
    Edited by Firstmep on September 3, 2020 10:25AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notices some strong temps earlier, have no idea wut they use. And i miss @minno
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys. So... Any good builds lately?

Came across a melee magplar rocking malacath, vates staff and zaan, smacked me around [snip].

[edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on January 13, 2021 1:48PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got beat by procs, not a Templar. xP
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got beat by procs, not a Templar. xP

Truth.

My magden runs all that too...
    And my health sorc...
    And my necro could swap Bal for Zaan...
    Lol

The only question is the "other" set

EV? Maybe.

And I do know of a really good Templar on Xbox BGs NA

He runs Auroran's Thunder as one set. Does pretty darn well; he is also a vamp for mist and the ult; runs with da beams
    Edited by Waffennacht on January 13, 2021 6:27PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • dcmgti
    dcmgti
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone having success in light armor magplar(non nord) this patch? I keep trying to go back to light but its tough to survive in light this patch. Been in heavy and malacath more than I want to be, I dont run malacath in light though.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear light armor on one of my magplars and my DK. It's rough.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been considering breaking out my old Auroran build too but the light armor thing is scaring me off.

What would be a good way to mitigate the loss of protection there? Not to mention stamina regen as a melee. Protection trait on jewelry? Running sun shield?
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    I've been considering breaking out my old Auroran build too but the light armor thing is scaring me off.

What would be a good way to mitigate the loss of protection there? Not to mention stamina regen as a melee. Protection trait on jewelry? Running sun shield?

Nord, mit pots, cp... honestly tho heavy armor + Band of Brutality is too strong atm
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can literally play in orgnams scales, grothdar, vateshrans and malacath, 34k hp, 1500 spell dmg 900 recovery and wreck solo bg. Went 37 - 1 yesterday on my main. Shouldn't be possible but mala and procs while building tanky allow it
    Edited by Syiccal on January 13, 2021 8:25PM
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always swapped between mag and stam offer; but anyone else having issues block casting HTD lately in Cyro lag? Have had quite a few deaths trying to heal and it just doesn't go
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have a decent magplar build, I been rotating like 3 or 4 builds but can't settle on one
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Procs have taken over, there are ways to not succumb to the poor gameplay of procs, but youve actually gotta be good at the game.

Waff, my wolf build translates to every class very well.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Procs have taken over, there are ways to not succumb to the poor gameplay of procs, but youve actually gotta be good at the game.

It will do as ww is op in every way
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Procs rule the day. I brought the old school grothdar/overwhelming combo + curse eater yesterday for bgs after not playing my Magplar since the patch after scalebreaker and had a field day. To be fair I’ve played magplar longer than most even with the huge gap but it still shows just how out of control procs are.

Edit: I think you can play without procs because I’ve been playing stamplar and stam sorc without procs but I have to admit that it feels like I’m barely trying on my magplar in comparison.
    Edited by BaiterOfZergs on January 15, 2021 3:18AM
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

It will do as ww is op in every way

Yea WW is broken. I meant the build works great on all classes when not a WW. As in you haven’t been bitten, can’t morph into a WW, don’t need a flea collar.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I need an eso theory guys help! Is 2 willpower 2 trainee and vateshrans staff better or worse than using overwhelming surge 5 peice full set
    Edited by Syiccal on January 15, 2021 7:34PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    So I need an eso theory guys help! Is 2 willpower 2 trainee and vateshrans staff better or worse than using overwhelming surge 5 peice full set

I would personally prefer Vateshran if I had to pick between the two in a vacuum
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

Why do you say the use procs is poor game play. I have used Overwhelming surge off and on on my magplar for about 4-5 years now, alternating between destro/destro and destro/S&B. The reason I use it is largely due to the fact that it helps my dps when I being pounded on by a plethora of stam builds - For me, this set, I believe in some ways, helps even the playing field. If you have a suggestion on how to do this without a proc set feel free to share.

FYI I have also played with 2 x resource set with some modicom of success as well. OS to me, helps me feel a bit more aggressive in the middle of the ruccus lol.
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on January 16, 2021 7:23PM
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you say the use procs is poor game play. I have used Overwhelming surge off and on on my magplar for about 4-5 years now, alternating between destro/destro and destro/S&B. The reason I use it is largely due to the fact that it helps my dps when I being pounded on by a plethora of stam builds - For me, this set, I believe in some ways, helps even the playing field. If you have a suggestion on how to do this without a proc set feel free to share.

FYI I have also played with 2 x resource set with some modicom of success as well. OS to me, helps me feel a bit more aggressive in the middle of the ruccus lol.

Its poor game play, because the sets do what you should be doing: the set does damage for you. Thats why everyone calling proc sets lazy gameplay and the current meta one of the least skill full and most unenjoyable metas ever.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc meta is really obnoxious but it does put magplar a bit higher than they'd already be. And here I am on my stamplar, near the bottom, running no procs wondering why I don't at least just get the Warden out if I'm going to ignore that meta. It's like part hipsters, part wanting to keep my main going, and part foolish belief that 1 day it will be better and I'll be better at templar by toughing it out.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

Its poor game play, because the sets do what you should be doing: the set does damage for you. Thats why everyone calling proc sets lazy gameplay and the current meta one of the least skill full and most unenjoyable metas ever.

Then what is your suggestion? Replace OS with something like Julianos? What is a decent damage set these days that doesn't "proc" for magplars? Or is the 2x resource set with damage glyph the most acceptable - seems the most "hand made" option, which in an odd sense would fit more with my Bohemian leanings in real life, LOL.
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on January 16, 2021 11:16PM
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Innate Axiom is such a great set for my magplar. I've been using it since Summerset (when I started playing). I mostly use class skills so it works for me. And that was before the recent buff.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    sol;as;lkf;lsgka;dlges;lks;k;sgkfs;ldk;
    Innate Axiom is such a great set for my magplar. I've been using it since Summerset (when I started playing). I mostly use class skills so it works for me. And that was before the recent buff.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then what is your suggestion? Replace OS with something like Julianos? What is a decent damage set these days that doesn't "proc" for magplars? Or is the 2x resource set with damage glyph the most acceptable - seems the most "hand made" option, which in an odd sense would fit more with my Bohemian leanings in real life, LOL.

Stuhn's is a good damage set that focuses on penetration - which is good against the heavy armor meta.

Rattlecage is my go-to since day 1 for heavy armor damage set. It frees up a skill slot you'd normally have to use for Major Sorcery, also allows you to ditch spell potions in favor of tri-pots if you're using Vampire's Bane.

Personally I found my Rattlecage/BTB combo just isn't as viable as it used to be so I also went back to Overwhelming to give me an edge. Even then, still getting out-pressured by dummies running Zaan/Vate/Malacath. Put up a good fight and they tea bag you for your efforts.

Proc meta is brutal for honest templars.
    Edited by Datolite on January 17, 2021 2:53AM