The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

High latency at akamai.com

• aslahnftw
    aslahnftw
    Soul Shriven
    Dont really know why this thread is not being updated (if the problem went away for others or not) but here the problem remains (Brazil).

Rastreando a rota para 198.20.198.110 com no m ximo 30 saltos

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC68U-2B30 [192.168.1.1]
    2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.15.1
    3 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    4 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 152-255-152-244.user.vivozap.com.br [152.255.152.244]
    5 4 ms 3 ms 4 ms 152-255-156-185.user.vivozap.com.br [152.255.156.185]
    6 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 187-100-83-2.dsl.telesp.net.br [187.100.83.2]
    7 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms 84.16.10.30
    8 127 ms 129 ms 126 ms 5.53.3.147
    9 137 ms * 137 ms 213.140.36.89
    10 126 ms 125 ms 125 ms ix-ae-16-0.tcore2.mln-miami.as6453.net [66.110.72.30]
    11 140 ms 140 ms 138 ms if-ae-1-2.tcore1.mln-miami.as6453.net [63.243.152.61]
    12 137 ms 137 ms 137 ms if-ae-7-2.tcore1.aeq-ashburn.as6453.net [66.198.154.177]
    13 155 ms 154 ms 155 ms 66.198.154.66
    14 678 ms 853 ms 773 ms po111.bs-b.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [209.200.144.202]
    15 698 ms 733 ms 706 ms a72-52-1-149.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.149]
    16 349 ms * 406 ms ae121.access-a.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [209.200.144.205]

17 144 ms 144 ms 144 ms a72-52-63-35.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.63.35]
    18 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    19 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    20 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    21 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    22 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    23 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    24 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    25 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    26 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    27 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    28 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    29 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.
    30 * * * Esgotado o tempo limite do pedido.

Rastreamento conclu¡do.

Any oficial answer on this problem?
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    aslahnftw wrote: »
    Reset your router.
    Oh, you don't have a router ?
    Well, buy one and try to reset it.

Edited by Tammany on May 26, 2020 2:21PM
  • BornDownUnder
    BornDownUnder
    ✭✭
    aslahnftw wrote: »
    Dont really know why this thread is not being updated (if the problem went away for others or not) but here the problem remains (Brazil).

--- snip ---
    13 155 ms 154 ms 155 ms 66.198.154.66
    14 678 ms 853 ms 773 ms po111.bs-b.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [209.200.144.202]
    15 698 ms 733 ms 706 ms a72-52-1-149.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.149]
    16 349 ms * 406 ms ae121.access-a.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [209.200.144.205]

17 144 ms 144 ms 144 ms a72-52-63-35.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.63.35]
    --- snip ---

Whilst not official, your latency issues originate either somewhere between the routing from:

Herndon, VA 20171, USA (66.198.154.66)
    to
    Cambridge, MA 02142, USA (209.200.144.202)

OR

It is the server that Akamai Technologies uses, which is:
    Which is most likely a location check (IP location, blacklist check)

After it gets through Akamai routing servers, your latency returns a normal ping of 144ms, the timeouts after are as a result of traceroute request denials, which is normal for game server routing.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akamai routing is still a major problem, especially for those of us in New Zealand where our ping-times have had an increase of 30-50% due to being routed to Akamai's Prolexic (anti-DDoS) scrubbers in Sydney, Australia.

We were previously being routed through Hong Kong so it is an improvement, but still far from optimal.

Many of us have stopped playing.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    The problem didn't go away.. the players caring for this stopped caring and likely uninstalled and moved on. Like me.
    Since Sept 2018 I'm unable to enjoy this game.. I tried a few months to play, but since given up.. obviously stopping buying the DLCs etc since then.

Now I just check this forum in the hopes that I start not seeing any more login/dc related topics to encourage me to try... but nope, not gonna download 60+ GB of game just to get ticked-off and not enjoy the game.

My life the past almost 2 years is basically checking this forum and subbing WoW.
    What else can I really do?

I got better things to do than try over and over to try play this broken game.
    Edited by Korax on May 27, 2020 11:54AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Korax wrote: »
    The problem didn't go away.. the players caring for this stopped caring and likely uninstalled and moved on. Like me.
    Since Sept 2018 I'm unable to enjoy this game.. I tried a few months to play, but since given up.. obviously stopping buying the DLCs etc since then.

Now I just check this forum in the hopes that I start not seeing any more login/dc related topics to encourage me to try... but nope, not gonna download 60+ GB of game just to get ticked-off and not enjoy the game.

My life the past almost 2 years is basically checking this forum and subbing WoW.

They might be VPNing into The States. That's anther possibility, though I get why that's not an appealing option.
  • Monocerotis

Saturday 04/07/2020 and the problem remains unchanged.

An event in Cyrodiil and the situation is horrible. 999+ ping frequently and disconnects.

Congratulations, ZOS.
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this still a potential cause for the current state of the game / something that needs to be addressed in it’s own week of testing?

S.
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    Is this still a potential cause for the current state of the game / something that needs to be addressed in it’s own week of testing?

S.

It is still quite an issue. Not to dub the results of the tracert and pathping again, will leave a link to it. Akamai is still bottlenecking the traffic resulting in packet losses during internal to Akamai network data transfer. Unlike some more fortunate US users, for me the packets are lost upon reaching akamai network with the notice "Request timed out" indicating a high ping. Just for the information, I live in Japan.

So people have the issue with akamai from the US, Australia, NZ, East Asia - it is quite geographically broad. The fact that the issue persists for at least 2 years and that ZOS did not care even to provide an answer to it is frustrating. Damn, ZOS haven't even submitted anything to Akamai apparently, hoping that users will either leave the game or roll with it. This corporate policy is garbage.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Korax wrote: »

They might be VPNing into The States. That's anther possibility, though I get why that's not an appealing option.

I got mudfish VPN so I could keep playing. It takes me below 300 ms from australia most of the time. I manually check and set the routes on the one I use to avoid packet loss and broken nodes...and Akamai's weird routing the wrong way around the planet. It adds about 2-3 dollars a month to the cost of the game but as this is my hobby I forgo takeaway coffees and pay it so I can play in end game PvE and PvP.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    So, some updates here. [snip], I provided them with logs of lags at akamai and I did all the tests and measures suggested by the support to exclude the possibility of it being on my side. In particular, I tested the tracert from 3 largest ISPs around my area (Tokyo), all of which have sufficient hardware or software to do the job, as well as geographically different points of access. Anyway, having been presented with the arguments this is what you get from the support:

Message 1:
    [i]"Greetings!

Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Service Team, my name is Justin and I will be trying to help you with your ticket!

Thank you for getting us that extra information and your history of attempts connecting. Due to the nuances of your issue, and your in depth explanations, I am sending your ticket information and account data to my superiors for review and assistance. They should be reaching out to you about this shortly.

Thank you for your continued interest and support, if you have further questions or concerns, please contact us back. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Warm Regards,
    Bethesda Customer Support"[/i]

Message 2:
    [i]"Greetings!

My name is --- and I would be happy to assist you today!

We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. Please keep in mind that, we here at customer support, are here to do our best to help the players resolve their issues and get back to gaming through troubleshooting steps. We do not assist in the creation, maintenance, or stabilization of the game. This job is left to our developers, as they are the ones with the power to fix these types of issues. As a result, I will be passing this information along.

I do apologize for the not having an immediate fix as I can definitely understand how frustrating these issues must be. I can assure you that our developers are always looking for ways to improve our servers and the overall gaming experience. With that said, I will be passing your concerns along for the relevant team to review.

If you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime, please let us know and we would be happy to assist you!

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,
    ---
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team"[/i]

The two messages were subsequent with a gap of two days. They basically prompt a few conclusions:
      [snip]
    1. They do not even mention akamai. [snip] Instead, however, they will be asking you to contact your ISP to check if the latter can do anything. [snip]

[snip]

P.S. would appreciate if anyone more familiar with ZOS representatives to tag them as I am a relatively new forum user and am unaware who of ZOS is responsible for giving replies on behalf of the company.

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on October 25, 2020 2:00PM
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

In short [snip]:
    • support is unable to render assistance regarding Akamai. Apparently, contacting akamai for the purpose of improving the performance of the game for many players based on the proofs collected over a wide geographic area from numerous countries and ISPs is outside the scope of their responsibilities. Quite a pity.
    • opening tickets regarding technical support will likely result in you being suggested the following: opening Steam and/or ESO ports, rebooting/powercycling your router and/or modem, flushing DNS, sending them tracert and pathping, doing automatic data collection using ZOS utility programme, then suggesting you should not have dynamic IP. After that their suggestions end and you will be informed of the "deepest consideration for players' experience that the developers will strive to improve in the future at any cost".
      [snip]

Having exhausted options, I feel similarly to those who started this topic back in 2018. Nothing changed over 2 years and is unlikely to change. We are forsaken in our problems [snip]

[edited for bashing/discussion of disciplinary action]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on October 28, 2020 1:10PM
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    And again tiny update, probably the last from me for this topic for now.

I was contacted by the support. [snip] From the result we can invoke some meaningful (probably) things we can do to alleviate the lag in the future, if we ever going to see that future in our lifetime.

The response:

Greetings!

Thank you for your reply. I do apologize that our service has not been to your satisfaction. Please understand that our development is also able to look into issue such as lag and high ping if there is something on our end that can be adjusted to prevent it. I talk of the development team as a whole, but there are several different departments. Please be assured that your concerns will be able to make it to the correct team to review the issue.

I also highly encourage you to submit feedback tickets in game going forward as they are also forwarded to the correct teams for review. The more reports we receive on a certain issue, the more we are able to prioritize the issue.

If you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime, please let us know and we would be happy to assist you!

Thank you,
    ---
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

ZOS support never mentioned Akamai themselves. Probably, some policy. Anyway, they do not address Akamai at all although all tests indicate drastic increase of ping from Akamai even for people geographically close to the server. They won't contact Akamai on our behalf and we can't request Akamai to investigate the issue because we are not their direct clients (previously in this topic it has been discussed). This is a no-go.

What we can do, however, is keep addressing this issue lest it is forgotten, both on forums and as it stems from the reply - in-game. So if you are not indifferent to ping issues in ESO - please, care to submit feedback/tickers regarding the ping.

On a side note, ZOS quickly reacts to ESO reviews on steam, especially those not praising their product. I won't say that my review got a meaningful reply, just another corporate template with "we have a plan to reduce the lags", namely the speech of ZOS director on ESO improvement roadmap, notifications on [snip] PvP CD tests in Cyrodiil, and a link to basic steps on forward routing (same stuff that the support sends you first). Still, the reply was very fast and obviously is one of the ways to draw the attention of the company to the issue. [snip]

I hope people continue the marathon of addressing the issue of ping in this topic. It is really sad that a game with such a potential becomes unplayable due to simple technical performance.

[edited for bashing/discussion of disciplinary actions]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on October 28, 2020 1:13PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right.

ZOS won't confirm their use of Akamai services for 'security protection' as their policy is to not discuss security related issues. That is fairly standard company policy used by many companies and government departments so we will not get a response from ZOS to concerns regarding Akamai routing.

What I will say though is the second level response you got was much less condescending that the one I got, 2 years ago on this very issue. :)

So yeah, while ZOS is using Akamai prolexic anti DDoS scrubbers for their DDoS protection, we will not get a response from ZOS at all.

ZOS know what the problem is and how to fix it but they don't want to compromise the risk of DDoS attacks similar to what we endured on these servers in the early days. I don't blame them for that. It crippled the servers for more than a few days.

So really there are only 2 options.
    1. Accept the extra latency Akamai delivers and just play the game with much worse ping.
    2. Quit the game and do something else with your time.

I chose the latter, but I still log in from time to time to see if it's changed. So far, it hasn't.

Good luck.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Gardarik
    Gardarik
    ✭✭✭
    And so there was rolled out a horrendous patch that shifted the PvP balance for group fights to prompt "behaviour changes" and spread out people (failed) and reduce lags by reducing healing calculations.

Just now, I was playing Grey Host, NA, and the ping was awful even outside of large groups of players. Instead of my normal 230-260 I had stable 500-530 with regular spikes of 999+. Moreover, should I go out of Cyro, the lag persists in PvE areas although with lesser degree of spiking. In addition, BGs are also lagging horrendously. Is it really "The Fix" that you are implementing, ZOS? Will you even care to investigate your lagging? I am fairly sure it is on your side as other network-related games and programmes are not lagging on my side.

Whether I forward the ports (although using IPv6 that generally ignores all this port forwarding) or using direct ethernet connection (that doesn't care about ports at all) - it still lags. And from a brief textual analysis of the recent threads in PvP section, many PC users are experiencing the same or even worse degree of lags following the changes. This time, however, you drove off a significant number of players by prompting "behavioural changes". Will you ever do your stuff or at least reply to the concerns of those lagging WITHOUT suggesting useless basic troubleshooting like forwarding ports or restarting routers? Thank you.

P.S. contact Akamai at last, ffs.