The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

High latency at akamai.com

• aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_MattFiror

I have stopped playing. Sub due in a week. Getting ready to cancel as it is impossible to do any end game content. Spoke to ISP, but no joy because my tracert shows akamai is the problem.

@ZOS_BillE Haven't bothered with a ticket as last time all i got was a generic list of switch off add ons check cables and reach out to ISP

ESO/ZOS insists on acting like there is an ongoing DDOS attack for every player and sending stuff thru akamai's scrubbers is my understanding. Lazy cheap generic solution to a rare specific problem=really bad problem solving approach.

Lots of tracerts here showing the mad routing.....

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300#latest

edit here's the latest

l8me6q075wna.png
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on November 1, 2018 4:59AM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • DarthVitrial
    DarthVitrial
    ✭✭
    I have never had worse customer service than I have with eso. Support is endlessly sending me the same two or three form letters saying “power cycle your router and try again”. It’s enough to make me consider just giving up on the game.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , we need an official response here.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had worse customer service than I have with eso. Support is endlessly sending me the same two or three form letters saying “power cycle your router and try again”. It’s enough to make me consider just giving up on the game.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , we need an official response here.

It is very obvious that Akamai is the bottle neck and most likely the source of most of the lag complaints you see here on the forums.

From a business point of view, the solutions seems simple: Ditch Akamai ...
    shades.gif
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have stopped playing. Sub due in a week. Getting ready to cancel as it is impossible to do any end game content. Spoke to ISP, but no joy because my tracert shows akamai is the problem.

@ZOS_BillE Haven't bothered with a ticket as last time all i got was a generic list of switch off add ons check cables and reach out to ISP

ESO/ZOS insists on acting like there is an ongoing DDOS attack for every player and sending stuff thru akamai's scrubbers is my understanding. Lazy cheap generic solution to a rare specific problem=really bad problem solving approach.

Lots of tracerts here showing the mad routing.....

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300#latest

edit here's the latest

l8me6q075wna.png

HAHAHAHA if there was not a better tracert showing the problem is within Akamai's network, hop 8 to 9 is just ludicrous (Japan to Netherlands).
    Edited by SirDopey on November 1, 2018 11:53PM
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here, but it started just a few days ago. However I don't think that ZOS can or will do anything, I had the exact same problem last year and eventually the akamai hop that was giving me trouble just fixed itself.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having lag problems as well, especially in Murkmire.
    Add Veyas hair for us players to use!
  • DarthVitrial
    DarthVitrial
    ✭✭
    Day five of not even being able to log in...I'm baffled by how awful this game's customer support is.
  • Teek
    Teek
    I am a gernan player, playing on EU Server.
    Since Murkire release my ping has gotten significantly worse.
    I also experience what I call "loadingscreen of doom" quite often throughout the day, not only during peak times.
    Means: getting stuck in neverending loadingscreens or, if I don't need to restart the game to try again (often times without success), staing at a loadingscreen for 5 minutes or longer.
    This happens especialy when I try to enter Delves, or anything instanced like my rooms at the Inn (which are not decorated).
    Disabling all Addons (which I use very few) does not help at all.
    Also, in areas like Coldharbor in the Prophet Questline (Main Storyline) my ping goes up to 250+ with spikes to 999 and even disconnects, making it really hard to play through the Storylines. The long loadingscreens appear anytime I got send into a an instanced quest area, or randomly while trying to enter a house/room/Delve...
    Restarting the game sometimes solves it, sometimes not, usualy I give up and go do something else.
    The overall ping has doubles since Murkmire (everywhere, not only in Murkmire), which once was a stable 25-30 ping is now a very unstable 60-120 in the outside world and 100-ragequit in Delves/Dungeons/"special" zones, IF I make it to enter these...

My internet is fine, I am on a wired direct cable connection (no router) with my ISP, and being an experienced IT professional I can assure you the problem is not on my side.
    Traceroutes have been posted more than enough, so I spare you with mine because I get the exact same results as all the others. I don't want to waste my time opening yet another ticket for this.... the problem(s) appear to be very clear and I ask the responsible staff to look into it, to keep us informed and work on solutions for your paying customers.
    Thank you.

PS: What really confuses me is this problem only happens since Murkmire release. Never before did I have this problem.
  • lurkuld
    lurkuld
    22nd of October was the last response I've had from support in relation to this issue. A tad disappointing. Any news anyone else?
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lurkuld wrote: »
    22nd of October was the last response I've had from support in relation to this issue. A tad disappointing. Any news anyone else?

Nothing but the sound of silence. This is when we know that ZOS has investigated and deemed it too difficult to action, so they just turn into emus and bury their heads in the sand
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • DarthVitrial
    DarthVitrial
    ✭✭
    Anything? Support isn't helping, no reply here, I haven't been able to log in in over a week now. if I'm unable to get Murkmire from the login rewards because of this server issue and we aren't compensated for it, that's the last I'll ever spend money on this. We need a reply.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Bazgrim
    Bazgrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would absolutely love this game, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I play it I run into lag, disconnection, and login errors in the first freaking week.

Their customer support is also horrendous, I went down this road a few months back.
    It seems ZOS is just not interested in fixing their servers what-so-ever.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/421280/why-are-us-servers-being-routed-through-the-netherlands
    Alpha / Beta Participant / Software Engineering UG
    Author of StopIt!
  • TourismTamriel
    Welp, I'm cancelling the ESO+ subscription that I've had the last couple of years. Also in NZ.

Extremely high latency (average around 340 - 400) with spikes of the 999+ on a regular basis .... it wasn't doing this a few months ago - I've been playing since beta - and although the game isn't technically 'literally unplayable' it most definitely is now 'literally unenjoyable'.

It's a bit of a shame, because I obviously would still like to keep playing. But it is what it is. Hopefully they eventually rectify the problem and I may consider resubscribing.
    Edited by TourismTamriel on November 7, 2018 12:57AM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <SNIP>

It's a bit of a shame, because I obviously would still like to keep playing. But it is what it is. Hopefully they eventually rectify the problem and I may consider resubscribing.

Me too. But if anything, time away from ESO has allowed me to see how other games in the genre work and I hope ESO implements some of the features other games have that make them better such as group finders and skill cool-down indicators, guild housing and well, guilds in general.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still going through a ridiculous route. Still shows akamai is the problem. STILL NO REPLY FROM ZOS TO THE THREAD after 4 pages here and multiple other threads.

dzxzwzisnppz.png
    Quoted for truth
  • lurkuld
    lurkuld
    Finally got a reply from support. Got to do a bug report instead. They've exhausted all they can do for me. Its up to the developers now.
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ping is just horrible lately constant nonending lagspikes to 999+
    It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
  • Creeper
    Creeper
    ✭✭✭
    Having the same problem since Murkmire Update, I thought it was my internet connection having packet loss issue causing my ping in-game to spike up to 999+ but when I tested with another game and did a ping test, I didn't had such problems. My game keeps freezing a lot lately with constant ping 999+ making the game almost unplayable and frequent disconnections which I didn't had before in my 5k Hours of ESO. I hope this problem is getting addressed.
    Edited by Creeper on November 10, 2018 1:25PM
  • Witar
    Witar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing zos they are gonna deny and insist it's all our fault or just ignore the problem. Until a lot of people stop playing.
    And then it's gonna be like

d67cpnk.png

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
    Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
    It lies behind stars and under hills,
    And empty holes it fills,
    It comes first and follows after,
    Ends life, kills laughter.
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    you know.. I've been TRYING to play this game for the past month...
    time to uninstall and ditch this game if Monday's patch fixes nothing regarding char logon issues.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give up. I couldn't even farm mats today.

When the displayed ping is 330 but it takes 5 seconds or more to harvest a mat, it's time to move on nad find something else to do.

Edited by MrGarlic on November 10, 2018 9:20PM
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ping is killing me in vMA, and I don't mean I'm trying to Flawless I mean just trying to complete it a second time.
    Stage 7 I can be meters away from a plants AoE and it still gets me.

First run, Stage 9 final boss, on the upper platform, can be directly behind the wall/shield and still get 1-shot by the pulse.

Absolutely absurd. I'm in an instanced area ffs.
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just ESO. I'm seeing it in Discord, Bethesda.net's launcher, and Star Trek Online. My ISP is trying to figure out if its my hardware at fault, but I gave them tracerts showing the ping spikes in action. They come and go frequently, making playing either ESO or STO less enjoyable. But more importantly, it makes downloading files and games slower too.

quuQeJG.jpg
    Edited by Ethoir on November 11, 2018 4:09PM
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My thread about this got locked.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/445107/sometimes-abnormal-high-ping

But there it is.

Also, I am not sure this IP is correct
    Tracing route to 195.122.154.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  FRITZ-NAS [192.168.178.1]
      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      3    10 ms    11 ms     9 ms  83-169-173-14-isp.superkabel.de [83.169.173.14]
      4    19 ms    18 ms    18 ms  ip5886c147.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.193.71]
      5    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  ip5886c149.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.193.73]
      6    15 ms    14 ms    14 ms  ip5886ed06.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.237.6]
      7    16 ms    15 ms    22 ms  ip5886ca17.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.202.23]
      8    15 ms    15 ms    14 ms  ae8-100-xcr1.hac.cw.net [195.10.62.5]
      9    15 ms    14 ms    17 ms  ae5-xcr1.ham.cw.net [195.2.24.181]
     10    21 ms    21 ms    19 ms  ae2-xcr1.dus.cw.net [195.2.9.133]
     11    21 ms    22 ms    21 ms  80.157.201.133
     12    24 ms    26 ms    26 ms  217.239.44.34
     13    23 ms    27 ms    24 ms  195.122.154.1

Trace complete.

This is what I am connecting to atm. (EU)
    f6de61f00d523e6ff02f398b092104e3.png
    Edited by xMovingTarget on November 12, 2018 8:51AM
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    Tracing route to 195.122.154.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  FRITZ-NAS [192.168.178.1]
      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      3    10 ms    11 ms     9 ms  83-169-173-14-isp.superkabel.de [83.169.173.14]
      4    19 ms    18 ms    18 ms  ip5886c147.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.193.71]
      5    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  ip5886c149.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.193.73]
      6    15 ms    14 ms    14 ms  ip5886ed06.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.237.6]
      7    16 ms    15 ms    22 ms  ip5886ca17.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.202.23]
      8    15 ms    15 ms    14 ms  ae8-100-xcr1.hac.cw.net [195.10.62.5]
      9    15 ms    14 ms    17 ms  ae5-xcr1.ham.cw.net [195.2.24.181]
     10    21 ms    21 ms    19 ms  ae2-xcr1.dus.cw.net [195.2.9.133]
     11    21 ms    22 ms    21 ms  80.157.201.133
     12    24 ms    26 ms    26 ms  217.239.44.34
     13    23 ms    27 ms    24 ms  195.122.154.1

Trace complete.

That looks normal. You should worry if it regularly returns responses of 300ms or higher. Also yes, you might have pinged the wrong IP.
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The IP 195.122.154.1 is owned by ZeniMax Germany, and it appears to be in Germany, so I would say it is OK for this purpose.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethoir wrote: »
    It's not just ESO. I'm seeing it in Discord, Bethesda.net's launcher, and Star Trek Online. My ISP is trying to figure out if its my hardware at fault, but I gave them tracerts showing the ping spikes in action. They come and go frequently, making playing either ESO or STO less enjoyable. But more importantly, it makes downloading files and games slower too.
    Those massive 1000ms lag spikes before it even leaves your ISP's network make it very likely to be something local to home for you.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • AboveLegends
    I created my own ticket just yesterday and it closed to be redirected here... which hasn't been resolved for 2 months now.

I'll probably cancel my plus service subscription until the game becomes playable again. I've put a lot of money and time into this service (game) that no one is maintaining properly - why should I be paying for this and not get reimbursed?

It shouldn't be the community's responsibility to reach out to third parties and find fixes. Get your *** together.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, there is a lot to read here so I will skip ahead a bit. So, it is not only affecting N/A pc server, I have played for 2 days straight on the E/U server and it has the same issues.

Ok, so I have been here for a long time now. And after 4 years of playing it is only recently that I'm having these issues that has destroyed my gaming experience, so much I now (**FKN**) hate this game, ****PERIOD*** !

All the money I have spent, all the time I have spent, all the dedication, resources, marketing by streaming of uploading for this game and or on this game is now a big fat waste. To me, these people here at zenimax know, """KNOW"" they are the cause and effect that is affecting so many many people now yet they do nothing but make this game worse.

All they have to do is turn off this crap. Thats it. If it due to hackers, well so what, I play games all the time that have hackers in it, I would rather spend my gaming life in eso with the 5% chance of meeting an actual hacker, than waste my 95% chance at high ping, lag and abrupt disconnects, server timed out, account already logged in, or notices that tells me to check if I , Yeah "" I "" have a valid internet connection.

Seriously? That message alone is enough to laugh at, if I didn't have internet connection how it is that I had obtained the launcher, and how would it then be that I would even get a message telling me to check my internet.

So unfortunately zenimax is their own Achilles heel in this situation. I have seen it but did not realize why until now why people are randomly canceling subs , it is because we can't even play this game. So why continue to dump money in a game that simply does not work? Thus, I myself recently canceled and am quitting this game. ZOS seems to think they have the best course of action in mind for all of us, but in fact they do not.

What they are doing to the server is only making people upset, angry, noxious, venomous, toxic, resentful, and so on. Even myself, after a good long run, all the positive aspects of this game is now overpowered by the negative aspects of this game. Making someone like me cancel and quit, let me tell you, it takes a lot. You don't know that, but it is true.

I don't know what else to say, other than what ever means I have I will be slowly and surely letting people know to stay away from this game because the server is trash. You can't play it. High ping causing lag, you can't [play], can't [dps], can't even tell if you're being hit by several [kill blows] to die before it's even too late.

All the free gifts in the world won't make up for this. Zenimax should hide their heads in shame for this.
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38