The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

How the LA/HA changes fail to fulfill ZOS's stated goals and what could be done instead?

• pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Group 1 "shouldn't exist". You get skills for a reason. When you level up it's all about getting skills and using skills.
    You even get skills during the tutorial.
    If someone is spamming light or heavy attacks they either have a reason (crafter who spent all their points elsewhere?) or they are deliberately not engaging in the game because everyone had to go through the tutorial.
    There are people who have a bad set of skills, but that's different from mostly using no skills at all.
    This so called category of people sounds like a thinly veiled insult.

Players like this do exist. I've seen them in dungeon queues.

And I was one them when I first started playing the game. Why was I a light-attack spammer when I started playing? Well, first, that's how I was used to things from, say, a shooter. You fire your weapon. And use skills to augment damage and for utility. Also, the first skill I took from the tutorial was cloak. Not exactly a damage skill, you see..

Second, I had no idea how much damage an ability did. Sure, I got a tooltip on the ability that said it did, say, 3000 damage. But... what does that mean? Is 3000 a lot? The game's UI doesn't tell you how much health an enemy has (and back then, there wasn't an option to to turn those numbers on--your only option was to use addons, and that was a rabbit hole that I wasn't ready to jump into as a brand new player).

Third, I had no idea how much damage my weapon attacks did. There's no tooltip that says "your bow will do 3000 damage with a light attack", and there was no way to see how much damage anything hit for since in-game combat text did not exist back then (your only option was to use addons...) Was a skill worth using over a light attack? It's kinda hard to tell when there's no way to know how much your light attack does.

And finally, my abilities "felt" weak. Of course they did, since I was using class abilities (scaling off of magicka) while I had a bow and points put into stamina. The game doesn't tell me that having more magicka does more than increase the number of times that I could cast an ability and that it increases the damage of the ability, too.

So, there I was, spamming light attacks for the first couple of months that I played the game. I even beat a few 4-person dungeons this way.

Actually, come to think of it, I think the one with the thinly-veiled insult is you...

Yes new players spam light attacks. But thats why they are called new players. They need to learn. Rewarding them for being new is most definitely not the way to teach them how to get better. It doesnt matter if you come from a shooter or any other type of game in which basic attacks are the main source of dmg. Like you said this game is different but new players need to learn it, not being rewarded for not learning it. Spamming light attacks and getting a boost to dmg no matter how big or small it is while having infinite resources should not be a viable option in a game that revolves around using ur abilities. In PVE it may not be much of a problem but in PVP where people are actually fighting each other and player skill means more than "more deeps", buffing a playstyle such as light attack spam is probably going to be the single biggest dumbing down combat change ever. Thats not healthy for the game.

Dmg should just be shifted from basic attacks to skills. Thats how you promote ur game while also closing the gap between perfect weave and subpar weave rotations. If more sustain is needed then buff the class sustain tools. Thats how u make each class unique. Enough with homogenization bs.
    Edited by pieratsos on March 25, 2020 1:08AM
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the life of me I cannot get why it's anywhere sane to add magicka restore to light attacks.

ZOS fixed what was not broken in Morrowind and made ESO a pitiful, painful experience where you spend 20% of your time heavy attacking or chugging potions.

And now, instead of partly undoing the badly conceived Morrowing nerfs, they stick them as "little pills" inside LAs?

Just do what's right and partly restore the good game we used to have.

THEN use that as a new beginning to tweak what it's needed.
    Edited by Vahrokh on March 24, 2020 11:15PM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there are two major reasons players don’t like heavy attacks. First is cause they are slow and can snare you. Second is that the reward for that long animation and snare is a piddly amount of damage.

It sucks to channel a 2 second heavy attack that cannot be canceled only to deal less damage than a 1 second Snipe that can be canceled.

As long as they are so much slower for such lower damage virtually no one will want to use them outside of those with hand issues. Players tolerate them now cause you rarely have to use them for resources.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing more and more people jump on the "stop having attacks restore resources" train, and I think that's legitimately the best result for the game's health long-term. Putting more sustain in class kits and racial passives would allow us to bridge a ton of the "APM" problem because while LA weaving will still be a thing, players will be able to cast skills more reliably even when struggling with weaving. That's a simple, easy solution to the "skill floor" problem ESO has. If weaving is STRICTLY a DPS boost, it's less damning to more casual players.
  • SenpaiNFT
    SenpaiNFT
    ✭✭✭✭
    100% agree with everything stated. Code is a good guy and knows what he’s talking about; ZOS needs take this feedback into heavy consideration.
    Edited by SenpaiNFT on March 24, 2020 11:29PM
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Overall i agree closing the gap is something that should happen, not only to make more players in pug viable, but to increase the fun for everyone.

In the case of what version takes the best results, i think on giving the ressource returns only into skills/passives would be the best option and keep LA/HA for damage only with code's option on LA consective attacks doing more damage (for really beginners) but overall lowering the priority of LA's with about 30% damage decrease(and putting a bit back into spamable skills so not much overall damage is lost).

That way LA weaving still would net the best results for the TOP players with 0.9 LA/s but the gap for those lower ones it wouldnt be such big and for those spamming LA some minor DPS would be still left with the consective attack bonus helping beginners(would be still a huge downlet but not a complete downbreak then).
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an average player, I don’t have much input on combat. I go with the flow and follow what other people say. As I’ve seen the negativity riots devour the forums, I just assumed Zos made a mistake with this PTS.

But after reading this post, I’m all for your changes 100%. Especially seeing Brian take your post in has made me feel more positive about the changes.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feedback on the code65536's Post
    I agree with this in part, but I suggest that we might reduce the over all resource game from light and heavy attacks suggested to either remove it entirely or keep it low and then shift it into passive skills for weapon lines Shifting the gain on the passives would let players see what they are investing in as they are playing and allow for more fine tuning.

For Example
    - 1 Handed & Shield could give more resources with heavy attacks
    - Dual Wield could give more resources with light attacks but power up an ability after a successful heavy attack

If done right this could lead to more dynamic and unique rotations depending on what weapon sets you use and hopefully more alternatives for players that like light attack weave, bursty heavy attack rotations, or something in the middle. It would all depend how they handle the light/heavy attack passives. It also might lead toward changing rotations depending on the bar.

This would also mean re-balancing certain sets and adjusting (or removing) the resource gain on the champion tree lines, but I think any sweeping change like this needs revision.

Feedback on the LA/HA in general
    For what I do like in this current PTS change:
    - The fact this is being done off cycle and won't necessarily go live, so its not tied to a DLC
    - We get feedback like this that is constructive based on the idea of changing something, not because a change is eminent with a patch
    - The scaling damage with medium attacks, dependent on how long you hold it
    - the speed increase while holding a heavy attack.

The Negative:
    - The light attack regen is a bit too much
    - Getting resources on a tank seems to easy
    - Worry what high damage attacks + heavy armor return on resources will mean with lightening and resto staff builds
    - Still not as dynamic to warrant a change on target
    - Still having issues where light melee attacks just miss on enemies close by, even bosses with huge hitboxes
    - The sets that make the light attack builds good, like relequin, still have that same boring rotation.

The other thing that's still missing
    - an indicator when a heavy attack is at full charge for an animation to go with it
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing more and more people jump on the "stop having attacks restore resources" train, and I think that's legitimately the best result for the game's health long-term. Putting more sustain in class kits and racial passives would allow us to bridge a ton of the "APM" problem because while LA weaving will still be a thing, players will be able to cast skills more reliably even when struggling with weaving.

Going to have to disagree with you.

ZOS will simply see these types of sentiments and say "Alright, so we should nerf/elminate the Light Attack sustain bonus, check!" and then... "somehow" never get around to adding it back in anywhere else.

We've seen this pattern WAY too many times before where a heavy-handed nerf comes down and then promised mitigations to said nerf fail to materialize. I would bet precisely zero dollars that this instance would prove to be the exception.

My advice: ZOS threw us a bone with the sustain bonus. Don't turn it down. We'll never get it back.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    First, as a broad generalization, I like to think about players being put into three categories.
    1. Players who mostly use their basic weapon attacks. The so-called "light-attack spammers" or "heavy-attack spammers".
      • Keep in mind that in most games, your basic weapon attacks--e.g., pointing and shooting your gun--is the primary way you do damage and that abilities are things that you cast every now and then to augment that damage or for utility. In ESO, abilities make up most of your damage and basic weapon attacks augment that damage, which can be counter-intuitive for someone who's used to, say, shooters, but is new to ESO, so it's perfectly understandable to see a new player just doing "light-attack spam" because that's kinda natural, if you think about it.
    2. Players who use abilities and try to weave them, but aren't very good at it. This might be due to a lack of practice. Or, in many cases, people simply aren't able to; e.g., for older players, it can even be a little physically painful. When we look at people's DPS parses, the first thing we look at is their LA/s rate. And if it's something like 0.5, we'd say, "You need to light-attack more"; i.e., get better at weaving. I myself am only around 0.7 LA/s. I can't hit the 0.8 or 0.9+ LA/s that elite players can get, and I probably will never get there; I have my limits.
    3. Elite players who have very high APM, whose rotations are fast and fluid and who don't miss their LA-weaves.

Don't really agree with these generalizations at all as being useful.
    Group 1 "shouldn't exist". You get skills for a reason. When you level up it's all about getting skills and using skills.
    You even get skills during the tutorial.
    If someone is spamming light or heavy attacks they either have a reason (crafter who spent all their points elsewhere?) or they are deliberately not engaging in the game -- because everyone had to go through the tutorial.
    There are people who have a bad set of skills, but that's different from mostly using no skills at all.
    This so called category of people sounds like a thinly veiled insult.

Group 2 and 3 involve Light Atack Weaving, which really shouldn't exist in the game and the triple-LA-for-resources looks like a clear attempt to move away from the model of cancelling a Light Attack so fast you barely see it fire.
    Light Attack weaving basically amounts to free damage from Light Attack because your time cost is aborted. A near-nothing time cost for an attack shouldn't be in the game at all because it's not intuitively correct at all.

As for ZOS's resource recovery through attacks, it's certainly not intuitive if attacking would restore resources faster than simply not attacking and resting.

Whatever ends up being done, I think the FIRST STEP is to keep things intuitive so people don't have to learn to do what is not intuitive.
    Simply tweaking numbers with little rationale is at the core of the complaints about combat changes.

Fact of the matter is, they DO exist. Not too long ago, I did a partial pug (3 friends, plus a random) of vet Spindle 2 and the magsorc dps who rounded out our group almost entirely light attacked, often not even aiming the same direction of the enemies. There was the occasional hard-cast crystal frag. This was a CP player. No one complained or was salty and speed/survivor/HM were completed without issue because we were able to compensate for the lack of damage but that person absolutely existed. You can say they shouldn't exist if you want but it doesn't change the fact that they DO exist (and no, the why doesn't matter as you claimed further down - a light attack spammer is a light attack spammer regardless of the reasons). By saying they shouldn't exist, you sound like the one making insults, not the person that's making a counter proposal in an attempt to take all types of players into consideration.
    Edited by heaven13 on March 25, 2020 12:59AM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing more and more people jump on the "stop having attacks restore resources" train, and I think that's legitimately the best result for the game's health long-term. Putting more sustain in class kits and racial passives would allow us to bridge a ton of the "APM" problem because while LA weaving will still be a thing, players will be able to cast skills more reliably even when struggling with weaving.

ZOS will simply see these types of sentiments and say "Alright, so we should nerf/elminate the Light Attack sustain bonus, check!" and then... "somehow" never get around to adding it back in anywhere else.

We've seen this pattern WAY too many times before where a heavy-handed nerf comes down and then promised mitigations to said nerf fail to materialize. I would bet precisely zero dollars that this instance would prove to be the exception.

My advice: ZOS threw us a bone with the sustain bonus. Don't turn it down. We'll never get it back.

Yeah, i'm going to have to disagree with you. They didn't "throw us a bone". They gave us a dev-enforced Altmer/Orc/Nord meta. There's literally no other reason to play any other race for a DPS or tank if these changes go live. All they do is hammer race/class diversity into the floor, and it's already bad.
    Edited by Skjaldbjorn on March 25, 2020 12:59AM
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, i'm going to have to disagree with you. They didn't "throw us a bone". They gave us a dev-enforced Altmer/Orc/Nord meta. There's literally no other reason to play any other race for a DPS or tank if these changes go live. All they do is hammer race/class diversity into the floor, and it's already bad.

I can see both sides of this argument. I do believe we're still waiting for the "more stealth-style gameplay" that was promised after the Bosmer passive outrage.

As it is, sustain on live isn't a huge problem if you build right and/or have good support. Having the extra sustain as is on PTS is too much, but I would not appreciate ending up having no active sustain options (other than waiting or drinking a potion if off cooldown or relying on synergies that might not come).
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »
    I can see both sides of this argument. I do believe we're still waiting for the "more stealth-style gameplay" that was promised after the Bosmer passive outrage.

As it is, sustain on live isn't a huge problem if you build right and/or have good support. Having the extra sustain as is on PTS is too much, but I would not appreciate ending up having no active sustain options (other than waiting or drinking a potion if off cooldown or relying on synergies that might not come).

I think increasing sustain through class and race passives, as well as class active skills such as Netch, Leeching Strikes (I think that's the name) etc, things like the new DK Combustion passive, would be just fine.
    Edited by Skjaldbjorn on March 25, 2020 1:13AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel wrote: »
    After digesting feedback across the board, we've had a lot of mixed opinions and solid arguments to both sides. I personally agree with many points in the OP and think it'd be a much tamer, simpler solution that may actually tackle the issue of power gap.

Aside from the damage component of that power gap, I have come to ask myself though: do we really need basic attacks to restore resources at all? There are so many sources of sustain that are not used in this game... and the concept of them restoring them through weapon attacks is quite unintuitive regardless of how you put it. Light attacks also rather "cost energy" than they restore it, just in a less obvious way because the charge up or channel is missing.

I dont think the sustain from those basic weapon attacks is needed if players are directed to the regular, more intuitive sources of sustain early on... after going through the tutorial and information you get there on the pts, I realized again how bad the game is at explaining core elements...

I think many of us agree that the idea presented in the OP follows a more logical path than what Zos has us testing.

To the second point, restoration staff has always restored Magicka upon completion of a heavy attack. Zos added the sustain from heavy attacks about a few months into the game. In well-organzied raids sustain is not an issue but solid players in well-organized groups have always been able to adjust well to change including sustain.

What needs to be looked at for considering eliminating the sustain from basic attacks is how the average group performs. This is not something that can be answered on the PTS as the average group does not go to the PTS for trials imho.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think increasing sustain through class and race passives, as well as class active skills such as Netch, Leeching Strikes (I think that's the name) etc, things like the new DK Combustion passive, would be just fine.

That could very well be the case! But unless it happens concurrently with the release of everything else, we shouldn't count on it is all I mean. A "sure, we'll work on that in an upcoming patch" is a common phrase that rarely pans out.
    PC/NA

Meet my characters :
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That could very well be the case! But unless it happens concurrently with the release of everything else, we shouldn't count on it is all I mean. A "sure, we'll work on that in an upcoming patch" is a common phrase that rarely pans out.

Oh, for sure. This whole "Here's sweeping changes, we'll do the rest later after a nap" is bad form. If they're going to do this, the supporting changes need to come with it.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, this would make so much more sense and be so much simpler for people to understand because it's what you would expect to happen if you never played before.
  • goldbond2000
    After being on PTS I agree with Code on most points. I think we need a minimal nerf to LA damage(10-20% at most), a nice boost to heavy attack damage and less resource return than current PTS for LA weaving. I have no problem with reassigning resource return to LAs as long as there's something else to be gained from heavy attacks-ie: big damage. Landing a heavy attack should be a high risk/reward action. The changes as they are on PTS:

1. will negatively affect any channeled dps rotations (flurry or wrecking blow rotations)-which I think help medium skilled players the most
    2. will totally eliminate any sustain races
    3. will for the third time in the past 12 months totally change the meta forcing players to either tap out or start grinding again
    4. will basically kill Molag Kena for anyone except pve tanks (I really like kena as is)
    5. didn't really impress me much on heavy attacks, at least on the target dummy where LA-skill weaving was still outperforming and HA-skill weaves
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    PART 2: LIGHT/HEAVY ATTACKS SHOULD BE INTUITIVE

You're right: Heavy attacks restoring resources, while light attacks do not, is not intuitive. But... How on earth is the opposite intuitive?! A new player is going to be just as confused about light-attacks restoring resources as they are with the current arrangement on Live.

So what would be intuitive?

Simple: Stop treating light and heavy attacks differently!

Both light and heavy attacks should restore resources.

I disagree on this part. While it might be intuitive for light, medium and heavy attacks to differ only in quantity and not quality (but is it fun? I guess that's a different topic), it makes no intuitive sense for basic attacks to return resources at all.

This is where I stand, as well. I am not opposed to basic attacks restoring resources, but the word "intuitive" does not really belong anywhere in the conversation. :smile:

What I wonder is whether ZOS could stick to just two things for these attacks. Speed and damage. Light attacks are fast, but have less damage. Heavy attacks are slow, but have more damage. Leave resource recovery out of the equation entirely.

That would require that something else be done to recover resources, or reduce the resource demand. I can't say what that would be. Maybe an increase to the base resource recovery, or maybe a blanket reduction in skill costs. Maybe something else.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SGT_Courtney
    SGT_Courtney
    ✭✭✭
    Can code65536 be in charge of combat please?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fact of the matter is, they DO exist. Not too long ago, I did a partial pug (3 friends, plus a random) of vet Spindle 2 and the magsorc dps who rounded out our group almost entirely light attacked, often not even aiming the same direction of the enemies. There was the occasional hard-cast crystal frag. This was a CP player.

Or maybe this was a player who just didn't give a rat's ass and wasn't taking the run seriously since they obviously could get carried -- "not even aiming the same direction of the enemies"? Maybe they were just arsing around?
    That's different from someone who doesn't know how to do anything else but light attack and heavy attack.

Were they the pug or your friend? If it's your friend and you can confirm they are incompetent, then that's more concrete evidence and it'll be enlightening to know how they got to where they are and their mindset so we can examine this demographic.

For someone to reach CP, sure they could have power leveled and not done dungeons before. But for a demographic to have somehow evaded not engaging with the core feature of skills? Doubtful.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on March 25, 2020 3:59AM
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note: This a repost of post #222 of the official discussion thread.
    PART 3: WHAT I WOULD DO IF I WAS A COMBAT DESIGNER
    1. Reduce light attack damage. Not by 78%. But by something more modest. 30%?
    2. All light attacks restore resources. Something small like 50. (So for someone weaving perfectly, this would be a modest 100 regen.)
    3. Keep the current Live levels of heavy attack resource return.
    4. Medium attack damage and resource return will be somewhere between that of a light attack and heavy attack, scaling with the duration of the channel.
    5. Make Empower affect all basic weapon attacks: light/medium/heavy.
    6. Edited to add: Increase the damage of spammable abilities by an amount comparable to the reduction to light attack damage. This would maintain the current power level for people who weave successfully (thus effectively shifting damage from the basic attack to the ability), while increasing the power level for those who miss weaves (they would still do less damage, but the gap would be smaller).

This is exactly what I would do as well, I have removed some points from orginal. Just reducing light attack damage is going to help the non weavers by bringing the weavers damage closer inline with everyone.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience helping people, people with low light attack ratios rarely, if ever, have sustain issues. The reason for this is pretty obvious.
    If their LA ratio is 0.7 then their ability ratio is 0.7.
    if you are only doing 1 skill per 1.5 seconds you have a lot lower resource drain.

What I like about the current PTS is that if you have high APM you ALSO have higher resource return.
  • witchdoctor
    witchdoctor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cellentel wrote: »
    As always, Code captures the heart of the issue with a clearly layer out and logical proposal. ZOS, please listen to this guy.

Listen?

HIRE this guy. And then LISTEN to this guy!
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    You're not addressing what happens to the "low skill" group that uses just skills, but no light/heavy attacks. It's much more intuitive that skills that cost resources will hit harder, so that's what they use when they want to do more damage.

What is not intuitive though is that you are expected to perform multiple actions at the same time. So while both the current PTS implementation and your suggestion are a bit better than what we have on live, it does not address the fundamental issue that LA weaving with AC makes no sense from a design perspective. Either make skills and LAs completely independent (i.e. WOW-style auto-attacks), or treat them the same and put them on the same GCD (GW2 style). The latter in particular would address ALL the issues with it, both how intuitive it is and how much of a difference there is between low and high skill players.

Call out to you for raising this because if your like me on high ping you simply cant add light attacks between your abilities because the system doesn't register them fast enough so you end up spamming one ability (ie Puncturing Sweeps) till your DOTS are done and completely ignoring the light attack. You throw a heavy attack in every so often for resource return.

Thank you for raising this.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good suggestions. I firmly think basic attacks should not restore resources. We have potions, passives, and spells to do that. Basic attacks should be attacks not sustain.

It’s fine to have spells that work with basic attacks to give sustain. But it’s ridiculous to get resources from stabbing someone. We aren’t leeching them from the target being stabbed, it just doesn’t make sense outside of spells, potions, passives.

Sure, from a conceptual point of view, it seems silly for any basic attack--whether it be light, heavy, or medium--to return resources.

But from a practical point of view, it's something that I like. Let's say that you are out of resources. Maybe you're in a dungeon PUG where the healer doesn't understand what Ele Drain is. Maybe you're fighting the Pinnacle Factotum or that boss in Fungal Grotto II and they just did an ability that drained all your magicka. Maybe your tank had died and, as a stamina DD, you suddenly found yourself needing to dodge a lot of attacks.

What are your options here? Potions? But potions have long cooldowns. Passives? What kind of passives? How would they work? Can they provide you with a burst of sustain to get you back into the fight? Spells? What kind of spells? And are people going to be convinced to give up one of their precious bar slots for it?

What is nice about heavy attacks restoring resources is that if you are out of resources and thus you can't do anything, you can at least heavy attack a couple of times and get back enough to get yourself back into action. Let's say you're a tank, and you've run out of stam. Currently, on the Live server, you can do a single 1H&S heavy attack (which takes only 0.8s) and get back 2830 stamina (with 12% in Tenacity in CP) if you suddenly need stamina in a pinch. You can't rely on potions because of the cooldown. You can't rely on passive regeneration because blocking stops that.

If you're fighting the penultimate boss in Fungal Grotto II, and he just finished draining all your magicka, what can you do to get yourself back into the fight? How long do you have to wait for your magicka regeneration to get you back enough resources to let you cast something? Even the light-attack resource return currently on the PTS would be very unsatisfactory here--if your spammable costs 2000, how many light attacks do you have to do before you can get enough to get back into the fight with a single spammable? With the current heavy attack resource return, one heavy attack will get you enough for one spammable.

You're right that basic attacks restoring resources seems a bit weird. But I think it is a good system from a practical standpoint. In any case, for a game with a fast-paced combat system, there needs to be some way for someone who has run out of resources to get back a burst of resources so that they can "get back into the game" in a reasonable amount of time rather than idling around waiting for their resource bar to slowly fill.

This is something that would be lost with the current PTS changes--yes, light attacks restoring resources would make it less likely that you run into an out-of-resource scenario in the first place (if you're one of those players that weave well), but if you do run out of resources, you're kinda screwed. Even with increased resource return with consecutive light attacks, it would still take a number of light attacks to get enough resources to fire off one spammable.

And so if resource return were to be stripped from basic attacks, as you and a number of others suggest, then what would you propose as a solution for someone to get back into the fight after they've run out? Potions have cooldowns, skills require bar slots, and passives are, well, passive and not something that a player can actively do when such a need arises...
    Edited by code65536 on March 25, 2020 4:27AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel wrote: »
    After digesting feedback across the board, we've had a lot of mixed opinions and solid arguments to both sides. I personally agree with many points in the OP and think it'd be a much tamer, simpler solution that may actually tackle the issue of power gap.

Aside from the damage component of that power gap, I have come to ask myself though: do we really need basic attacks to restore resources at all? There are so many sources of sustain that are not used in this game... and the concept of them restoring them through weapon attacks is quite unintuitive regardless of how you put it. Light attacks also rather "cost energy" than they restore it, just in a less obvious way because the charge up or channel is missing.

I dont think the sustain from those basic weapon attacks is needed if players are directed to the regular, more intuitive sources of sustain early on... after going through the tutorial and information you get there on the pts, I realized again how bad the game is at explaining core elements...
    Yeah, overall, we don't really need the sustain from basic attacks. I think ZOS' intent was mostly to differentiate between LA and HA rotations by giving HAs the damage they lacked so far and LAs the means to sustain more skills per minute. Which seems fine in a vacuum, but introducing it to the game as-is just takes the damage away from LA rotations and gives them something they don't need. IMO they would either have to re-introduce the damage elsewhere (in spammables or skills in general) or find other ways to differentiate the two rotations.

Something I haven't seen suggested yet is a Hawk Eye treatment for all light attacks, not just bows (which part of the DPS this should buff - weapon abilities, all skills, weapon/spell damage, etc - is open for debate). This would expand the consecutive LA buff for low-skill players suggested in the OP while at the same time incentivizing high-skill players to keep up their LA rotation.

I've also suggested before that maybe HAs could restore a small amount of ultimate to reinforce the concept of charging, heavy-hitting abilities versus the continuous, fast-paced LA rotations, but I'm unsure if this would catch on due to its quite dynamic implications.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but this seems to merge all proposed solutions so far in a neat way. It makes it easier for low APM players to keep up with light attack spam while rewarding tight LA rotations at the high end. It helps medium-range players who struggle to keep light attacks up all the time because built up stacks don't run out for a few seconds, so dropping a light attack here or there is much less crucial. It gives a use to heavy attacks outside of resource gain that is applicable to players of all skill levels. The mechanics are largely intuitive, have precedent in the game and don't require us to have different rules for consecutive attacks. And we do it while avoiding introducing another source of resource gain.

And so if resource return were to be stripped from basic attacks, as you and a number of others suggest, then what would you propose as a solution for someone to get back into the fight after they've run out? Potions have cooldowns, skills require bar slots, and passives are, well, passive and not something that a player can actively do when such a need arises...
    Active resource gain is something I very much agree should be part of the game. Ideally I'd want these effects to be part of skills though, such as Repentance, Dark Deal, etc. I'm aware that in many situations these skills are currently not up to filling a void left behind by basic attack resource gain, which is why no matter what the changes eventually look like, they'll have to be accompanied by changes to many other aspects of the game.
    I only hope ZOS realizes this too and doesn't leave us with only one half of sweeping combat changes for an extended period of time.
    Edited by Faulgor on March 25, 2020 7:47AM
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Veesk
    Veesk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Note: This a repost of post #222 of the official discussion thread.

I want to start off by saying that I am in complete 100% agreement with the "mission statement" of these PTS changes. Specifically, the following paragraph:
    There are, however, several drawbacks to this model as well. First, it tends to reward players for pushing buttons as quickly and efficiently as possible. Players with high Actions Per Minute (APM) significantly outperform those with low APM, as they have better up-time of abilities, higher mitigation, much higher DPS, and can simply move around the battlefield better in both PVE and PVP. While we believe it’s good to have a skill gap that promotes mastery, we also believe the gap as it currently exists is too wide, and that many players aren’t finding satisfaction in the climb. Additionally, we believe the over-reliance on a specific mechanic (light attack weaving) leaves less room for playstyle diversity, including lower-APM options. This is particularly evident in veteran content and PvP. Finally, the concept of using light attacks for damage and heavy attacks for restore is, quite simply, unintuitive – especially for less experienced players.
    I agree with all of this, and I agree that something needs to be done, and I applaud ZOS for taking action. But I strongly dislike the solution that is being tried out here.

I consider that the two overall goals here are:
    1. Reducing the effect of the skill gap. To be clear, it is good to have a skill gap. The amount by which that skill gap translates into power is the thing that needs some adjustment.
    2. Making light and heavy attacks more intuitive.

PART 1: ADDRESSING THE POWER GAP

First, as a broad generalization, I like to think about players being put into three categories.
    1. Players who mostly use their basic weapon attacks. The so-called "light-attack spammers" or "heavy-attack spammers".
      • Keep in mind that in most games, your basic weapon attacks--e.g., pointing and shooting your gun--is the primary way you do damage and that abilities are things that you cast every now and then to augment that damage or for utility. In ESO, abilities make up most of your damage and basic weapon attacks augment that damage, which can be counter-intuitive for someone who's used to, say, shooters, but is new to ESO, so it's perfectly understandable to see a new player just doing "light-attack spam" because that's kinda natural, if you think about it.
    2. Players who use abilities and try to weave them, but aren't very good at it. This might be due to a lack of practice. Or, in many cases, people simply aren't able to; e.g., for older players, it can even be a little physically painful. When we look at people's DPS parses, the first thing we look at is their LA/s rate. And if it's something like 0.5, we'd say, "You need to light-attack more"; i.e., get better at weaving. I myself am only around 0.7 LA/s. I can't hit the 0.8 or 0.9+ LA/s that elite players can get, and I probably will never get there; I have my limits.
    3. Elite players who have very high APM, whose rotations are fast and fluid and who don't miss their LA-weaves.
    So how do the proposed changes affect each of these skill tiers?

Based on my testing on the PTS, someone who just spams heavy attacks will get a modest boost to their damage. Heavy attack damage has been increased by a modest amount, and the cast times have been reduced a little. The end result, based on some quick casual testing on the PTS is a small increase in the ballpark of around 10-20%. For someone spamming light attacks, well, it's not pretty. The fight duration tripled, so the DPS was cut by around 2/3 (less than the 78% nominal nerf because of damage from things like weapon enchantments).

I don't think that these changes help the proverbial "floor". On Live, both heavy-attack spam and light-attack spam does similar amounts of overall DPS. On the PTS, heavy-attack spam was mildly buffed, while light-attack spam was thrown into the gutter. I don't see how this helps the "floor". At all. If anything, I would argue that these changes hurt them more than it helps them, as it strips away combat options and forces these kinds of players into using only heavy attacks.

But what about the "middle class"? What about the people who try to weave abilities, but aren't able to do so that well? The amount of resource return from light attacks is immense. Without the CP buff, it's equivalent to about 400 regen for someone who weaves perfectly. Obviously, it's more once you figure in Tenacity. So while missing light attacks won't result in as much of a direct loss of damage, it still represents a significant indirect loss of damage because that sustain can be translated into damage. Choosing bi-stat food over regen food. Picking a "damage" race like Orc instead of a "sustain" race like Redguard. Using a "damage" set like New Moon Acolyte instead of a "sustain" set like Vicious Ophidian. But these kinds of shifts away from other sources of sustain will be available only to people who can weave well.

For the "upper class", yes, it's an outright nerf to power. That can be somewhat compensated for by shifting their builds further away from sustain.

But what does this do for the power gap between the "middle class" and the "upper class". Both groups will be hit hard by this, and it's not clear that they will be affected in a way that reduces the relative power gap.

And so I would like to take a moment now to talk about the Morrowind combat changes. Back when those changes were made, @ZOS_RichLambert said on ESO Live that they had two goals with the Morrowind combat changes. First, they wanted people to think about sustain again. And second, they wanted to reduce the power gap. Well, these changes seem to fly in the face of the notion that sustain should be relevant. But more importantly, the Morrowind combat changes increased the power gap between players. Yes, the sustain nerfs hit the power of the "upper class" hard. But it also hit the "middle class" even more. If you think about it, when resources are tight, then players who are more efficient at resource usage will have an advantage. Instead of using a dynamic rotation, are you using an easy static rotation that results in a couple of DoTs being recast a little early? That's wasted resources. Did you accidentally step into red and thus need to cast a self-heal to compensate for your mistake? That's wasted resources. Did you miss a light attack and thus miss out on its resource-free damage? That's less damage per resource spent.

Can you say, without any doubt, that these light/heavy attack changes will hurt the "upper class" more than it hurts the "middle class"? If not, then you're not actually closing the power gap, and this will be a repeat of the Morrowind fiasco.

But hey there's more to this game than just DPS! What about something like PvE tanking? A lot of tanking is about resource management. Wouldn't it be great if, as a tank, you could get stamina as you light-weave everything? It would trivialize resource management! Hooray! But oh wait, that means you have to drop block to weave every ability instead of block-casting, and if you're a new tank or even an experienced tank who's tanking new unfamiliar content, that's pretty darn risky. So what this means is that experienced tanks can get easy resource management, but beginner tanks who are told, "when it doubt, hold block" can't reap the benefits of this. And of course, if a tank needs an emergency injection of stamina, the old option of getting a burst of about 2.8K stamina from a single 0.8s heavy attack channel is gone. All of this simply punishes less experienced players and dramatically increase the effects of the skill gap.

PART 2: LIGHT/HEAVY ATTACKS SHOULD BE INTUITIVE

You're right: Heavy attacks restoring resources, while light attacks do not, is not intuitive. But... How on earth is the opposite intuitive?! A new player is going to be just as confused about light-attacks restoring resources as they are with the current arrangement on Live.

So what would be intuitive?

Simple: Stop treating light and heavy attacks differently!

Both light and heavy attacks should restore resources. A light attack should restore a very small, token amount (50?). And heavy attacks should restore the same amount as they do now. And medium attacks should restore somewhere between the two, scaled with the duration of the channel.

That's how you make intuitive mechanics. A heavy attack should just be a heavier, stronger light attack. Period. Don't have some silly nonsense where a light attack restores resources, but if a players holds onto the button for just a fraction of a second too long and it turns into a medium attack, then they get nothing. Don't have some silly nonsense where if someone is charging a heavy attack because they are out of resources, but if they let go of that attack just a fraction of a second too soon and it turns into a medium attack, then they get nothing.

Light attacks should do a modest amount of damage and return a small amount of resources. And heavy attacks should do the same, except more: more damage, more resource return. And medium attacks should scale between the two and do a medium amount of damage and return a medium amount of resources. This is the logical, straightfoward thing to do, and it bewilders me that it doesn't work like this.

A heavy attack is slow and requires a channel, so it should be more rewarding in all aspects. How does "hey, you do more damage as a tradeoff for this annoying channel, but oh no, you don't get any resources back" make any sense?

PART 3: WHAT I WOULD DO IF I WAS A COMBAT DESIGNER
    1. Reduce light attack damage. Not by 78%. But by something more modest. 30%?
    2. Increase the damage on consecutive (non-weaved) light/medium/heavy attacks.
    3. All light attacks restore resources. Something small like 50. (So for someone weaving perfectly, this would be a modest 100 regen.)
    4. Keep the current Live levels of heavy attack resource return.
    5. Medium attack damage and resource return will be somewhere between that of a light attack and heavy attack, scaling with the duration of the channel.
    6. Make Empower affect all basic weapon attacks: light/medium/heavy.
    7. Edited to add: Increase the damage of spammable abilities by an amount comparable to the reduction to light attack damage. This would maintain the current power level for people who weave successfully (thus effectively shifting damage from the basic attack to the ability), while increasing the power level for those who miss weaves (they would still do less damage, but the gap would be smaller).
    If you look at the current lower-APM options--what people hawk as "easy" builds--they're often light-attack-spam (werewolf) or heavy-attack-spam builds. Let's reinforce these options and make them more effective. That's why I propose increasing the damage from consecutive, non-weaved attacks. Of course, these things should not be too effective that they outclass "high-APM" options (we still want a skill gap!), but they should be more effective than they are now (thus lowering the effect of the skill gap). The increase for non-weaved attacks should more than compensate for the 30% nerf to light attack damage that I am proposing.

As for the "middle class" vs. "upper class", an outright nerf to light attack damage (without adding some secondary effect like a ridiculous 400 regen to perfect weavers) will slightly narrow the gap between the two because it will affect those with higher LA/s more than those with lower LA/s.

And finally, on the consistency/intuitiveness front, it makes no sense to apply a resource return to light attacks but not heavy attacks, just as it makes no sense to do the opposite. What makes sense, though, is for a heavy attack to just be a stronger light attack in every way--in both damage and resource return--as compensation for it being a slow channel.

Ultimately, the end result should be...
    1. A raising of the bottom floor, in which people who just spam basic attacks are better off than they are on Live. A buff to consecutive, non-weaved damage will help with this (and should more than compensate for the LA damage nerf) and reinforce the current popular low-APM options. ZOS's proposal doesn't help the floor at all, since a severe nerf to LA damage with no compensation simply serves to deprive the "lower class" of combat options and forces them into only using heavy attacks.
    2. A narrowing of the gap between the "middle" and "upper" classes. Reducing the damage of weaved light attacks is the key here. In contrast, ZOS's proposal just replaces the lost direct damage with indirect damage in the form of massive sustain.
    3. A system where heavy attacks are more desirable, but not so desirable that people who prefer high APM feel compelled into sluggish heavy-attack rotations. While ZOS's current proposal doesn't quite push people into a HA-meta, it does come dangerously close with that insane 78% damage nerf to LAs.
    4. Heavy and medium attacks should be rewarded for their cast times, which not only means more damage, but also more resource return. Be consistent.

After testing out the changes on the PTS, you've really captured everything I would want to change and painted a picture of changes I would love to see in the game. Well said, especially when it comes to making combat more intuitive for players.
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @code65536 Thank you kindly for this constructive and well thought out feedback!

Thanks for recognizing the concerns from the playerbase. I only wish you guys would come out more often to speak up on things.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • nejcn001
    nejcn001
    ✭✭✭
    I think they want to research if high APM affects performance on server. Which it does. So they want for players to slow down. Because removing animation canceling means whole combat overhaul and rebalances.
    I predicted this few months ago...but i see this is going to get troublesome.