Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrbanMonk wrote: »
    I posted my Build last week. Not claiming that its the best build out there, but I've been enjoying it a lot. 2H is just too much fun and somehow I find it much easier to weave LA with 2H than clunky LA from staves.
    https://youtu.be/UARxtpGFGGk

I've always preferred 2h on the offensive bar. You reach similar damage numbers to stamplar. Of course calculators make it like that as they include light armor flat value penetration for magicka but ones I've seen ignore mauls % based passive for pen on physical damage. Then on mag, you might as well use sword as maul doesnt help anything but light attacks for mag and axes dont scale, so you get the slight damage increase.

I'd actually still consider onslaught on magplar. I know crescent is cheap and instant. Tooltip gets close on first hit but mitigated, but then the pulses make up for it. But having all the damage at once feels more needed against a decent player to finish in an instant burst window. Not to mention 5 seconds to go HAM after
    Edited by technohic on March 6, 2020 12:16PM
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    When in doubt go shacklebreaker imo. I’d say NMA but spinners is already a front bar set.

How does Shacklebreaker compare to Crafty and Seducers? I like the damage bonus and I was considering it but maybe I will need more sustain as I suck at pvp.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vyvrhel wrote: »
    When in doubt go shacklebreaker imo. I’d say NMA but spinners is already a front bar set.

How does Shacklebreaker compare to Crafty and Seducers? I like the damage bonus and I was considering it but maybe I will need more sustain as I suck at pvp.

Shacklebreaker is a good set to take care of your stamina sustain. It's really stat dense, so gives a bit of everything but not a lot of one thing. Seducer's is good to take care of magicka sustain but I usually only run it if I'm healing because healing abilities are really expensive, Crafty is more if you're trying to max your magicka so for NBs, Wardens or Sorcs. Shacklebreaker gives you some mag (not a lot) and some stamina (not a lot) sustain and lets you skimp on prismatic glyphs. The stamina is good for if you block, dodge roll or to break free.

If you're new to pvp in general is I'd say make sure you're always moving (some people stand still which makes them easy to target), heal yourself (if one person is healing themselves and the other isn't, the person who's healing themselves will always win) and practice targeting. As a magtemplar I circle strafe all the time (circle my target always looking in so I'm continuing to hit them and them not hit me) and as a magwarden I love to run back and forth through people waiting for my stun to land. Get the targeting, healing and moving down and you'll immediately be above average imo.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 6, 2020 10:10PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally love how my Magplar stops between each skill/ultimate to announce what she is using since the crash upadte last week.

"Halt, I shall Smite thee" "stay still I am going to ulimate you"
    It just seems so much less fluid.

I guess it's my fault for playing open world CP.

I am still using NMA, but now carry a heavy set too, and use it depending on conditions.
    I am Altmer and I switched to Alteration Mastery instead of Transmustation--I love it, I rarely run out of magic, unless it is so laggy that I can't light or heavy attack. I use potatoes back bar. Right now I use Grothdar more, but I also like Balorghs when I am dropping Nova, and using sweeps to clean up. And I still carry multiple other sets for the situation/group I am in.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had the ability to upload clips easier. That's a thing about xbox. Not good for this kinda stuff.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭

Shacklebreaker is a good set to take care of your stamina sustain. It's really stat dense, so gives a bit of everything but not a lot of one thing. Seducer's is good to take care of magicka sustain but I usually only run it if I'm healing because healing abilities are really expensive, Crafty is more if you're trying to max your magicka so for NBs, Wardens or Sorcs. Shacklebreaker gives you some mag (not a lot) and some stamina (not a lot) sustain and lets you skimp on prismatic glyphs. The stamina is good for if you block, dodge roll or to break free.

If you're new to pvp in general is I'd say make sure you're always moving (some people stand still which makes them easy to target), heal yourself (if one person is healing themselves and the other isn't, the person who's healing themselves will always win) and practice targeting. As a magtemplar I circle strafe all the time (circle my target always looking in so I'm continuing to hit them and them not hit me) and as a magwarden I love to run back and forth through people waiting for my stun to land. Get the targeting, healing and moving down and you'll immediately be above average imo.

Thanks. As a beginner, shall I go 7/0/0 or 5/1/1?
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5/1/1 or 5/2 is your best bet, personal preference
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But make sure to get the undaunted passivs other wise not worth either of them
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    [

5/0/2 or 5/2/0?
    But make sure to get the undaunted passivs other wise not worth either of them

Sure.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5/2 is 5 light 2 heavy. .if you dont have undaunted passivs definitely take this route
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So scathing is garbage? It's it bugged or something? Been farming for multiple toons since I've returned and haven't had a chance to even start the scathing mage farm
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mister_DMC wrote: »
    So scathing is garbage? It's it bugged or something? Been farming for multiple toons since I've returned and haven't had a chance to even start the scathing mage farm

I didn’t like it, did they change sweeps somehow?

From spamming sweeps it only had a 50% or so uptime on PTS on the dummy, with sweeps hitting 4x a second I was expecting close to 100% uptime.

Either sweeps changed or it’s bugged. There was mention of a dot change or something like that with procs in the patch notes, I don’t know why that would effect sweeps, unless they were trying to nerf sweeps and trying to be subtle about it.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 7, 2020 6:41PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This games performance is complete garbage on console. It's pathetic. Fighting 2 ppl alone at carmala for 10 min at 2am last night. No reason to have 3 or 4 second delays. It's sad when building in conan exiles is more fun... great performance updates for q1 zos. /endrant
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    This games performance is complete garbage on console. It's pathetic. Fighting 2 ppl alone at carmala for 10 min at 2am last night. No reason to have 3 or 4 second delays. It's sad when building in conan exiles is more fun... great performance updates for q1 zos. /endrant

Oh you haven't even got the best part on console yet. Lol

Although who knows? Maybe it will work on console and the issue is optimization done for consoles just didn't work for PC.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister_DMC wrote: »

Yo, i just tested live in ps4. Scathing mage is procing all the time.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On two targets, scathing mage procd on 34 of 42 casts of sweeps. Didn't include light attacks or glyph procs. 80%

On 1 target with light attacks weaved in itv procd on 29 of 43. 67%
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    How does Overwhelming set perform in PvP?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexquisite wrote: »
    I personally love how my Magplar stops between each skill/ultimate to announce what she is using since the crash upadte last week.

"Halt, I shall Smite thee" "stay still I am going to ulimate you"
    It just seems so much less fluid.

I guess it's my fault for playing open world CP.

I am still using NMA, but now carry a heavy set too, and use it depending on conditions.
    I am Altmer and I switched to Alteration Mastery instead of Transmustation--I love it, I rarely run out of magic, unless it is so laggy that I can't light or heavy attack. I use potatoes back bar. Right now I use Grothdar more, but I also like Balorghs when I am dropping Nova, and using sweeps to clean up. And I still carry multiple other sets for the situation/group I am in.

I noticed this tonight. It's hard to hit combos now. I hit someone with a topling charge and then stood over them for a good second before I could get the Crescent Sweep out. That gave the opponents plenty of time to open fire on me. So instead of hitting and then getting back on defense, I was a sitting duck.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only go 5-1-1 if you have the undaunted passive maxed though
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭

I noticed this tonight. It's hard to hit combos now. I hit someone with a topling charge and then stood over them for a good second before I could get the Crescent Sweep out. That gave the opponents plenty of time to open fire on me. So instead of hitting and then getting back on defense, I was a sitting duck.

I experienced similar problems in IC and group dungeons. It feels like both ultimate and potion drinking key processing is temporarily ignored, delayed, or has low priority. This however happens only when there is more players involved.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both a Breton and a High Elf and I do think for me, I prefer High Elf. Breton still good though.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »
    I have both a Breton and a High Elf and I do think for me, I prefer High Elf. Breton still good though.

The stamina sustain is too op
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »

High elf is BIS for magplar. Magplars don't even have sustain issues so idk why you'd ever want to be a Breton.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    So I have my gear together (NMA + Swift) and I started to learn what to do. Two questions:
    1. People often refer to a burst, like "preparing for a burst", or "timing their burst". What exactly that means on magplar. I mean what combination of skills.
    ATM I am just jabs spammer, with toppling and dots in between while dancing around the enemy. Does work on nubs like me, or low health targets if I manage to topple them, but the good players just heal off and shrug me away.
    I also tried to flare - toppling - ulti and sweeps but the flare is so very much telegraphed so it is hard to land on an aware opponent and I do not use it now at all.
    2. I use powered willpower heal staff on back bar, but I do not have the Psijic skills yet. Does it significantly reduce my ability to defend? Any tips what is best to slot on altmer? I use regen from staff line, purify, living dark, class shield and rune.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I have my gear together (NMA + Swift) and I started to learn what to do. Two questions:
    1. People often refer to a burst, like "preparing for a burst", or "timing their burst". What exactly that means on magplar. I mean what combination of skills.
    ATM I am just jabs spammer, with toppling and dots in between while dancing around the enemy. Does work on nubs like me, or low health targets if I manage to topple them, but the good players just heal off and shrug me away.
    I also tried to flare - toppling - ulti and sweeps but the flare is so very much telegraphed so it is hard to land on an aware opponent and I do not use it now at all.
    2. I use powered willpower heal staff on back bar, but I do not have the Psijic skills yet. Does it significantly reduce my ability to defend? Any tips what is best to slot on altmer? I use regen from staff line, purify, living dark, class shield and rune.

1. For burst you want Purifying Light. You can keep that refreshed but generally you want to get health down a little bit before doing purifying light, toppling to get the off balance, ultimate, then sweep away. Obviously keep your buffs up and whatever DOTs you are using before that.

2. If you don't have psijiic, go vamp and run elusive mist. If you like resto staff, and want to keep rapid regen or whatever the HOT is called; thats fine. The other option is sword and board or Ice staff for block casting HTD. I personally use ice staff because I front bar 2 hander but I am considering changing given how block screws with things right now, but who knows what it will look like when they fix their game.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    If you like resto staff, and want to keep rapid regen or whatever the HOT is called; thats fine. The other option is sword and board or Ice staff for block casting HTD. I personally use ice staff because I front bar 2 hander but I am considering changing given how block screws with things right now, but who knows what it will look like when they fix their game.

I am not fixed on resto staves, and i fact I levelled the S+B line a little. What skills are used aside from the ultimate?
    Also what does HTD stand for?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like resto staff, and want to keep rapid regen or whatever the HOT is called; thats fine. The other option is sword and board or Ice staff for block casting HTD. I personally use ice staff because I front bar 2 hander but I am considering changing given how block screws with things right now, but who knows what it will look like when they fix their game.

I am not fixed on resto staves, and i fact I levelled the S+B line a little. What skills are used aside from the ultimate?
    Also what does HTD stand for?

Only thing you need from sword and board is the blocking efficiency.

HTD is Honor The Dead
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1. For burst you want Purifying Light. You can keep that refreshed but generally you want to get health down a little bit before doing purifying light, toppling to get the off balance, ultimate, then sweep away. Obviously keep your buffs up and whatever DOTs you are using before that.

2. If you don't have psijiic, go vamp and run elusive mist. If you like resto staff, and want to keep rapid regen or whatever the HOT is called; thats fine. The other option is sword and board or Ice staff for block casting HTD. I personally use ice staff because I front bar 2 hander but I am considering changing given how block screws with things right now, but who knows what it will look like when they fix their game.

This is really good advice. I used dark flare a lot just because it’s something you can do from range. In BGs there’ll be a lot of games where you’re fighting a sorc heavy group and people are vying for position waiting to pounce. Instead of standing there I would throw dark flares, or if people aren’t focusing on you it’s great in a combo.

Anyone notice as soon as you toppling you’ll immediately get stunned? So annoying in BGs.

Anyways, I added that ability that heals you when you take damage now on my front bar. It adds more staying power when you’re pushing.

Overall I don’t find my magplar as fun these days. You’re prone to sorc burst and losing the snare on ritual killed my hit and run playstyle. I need to change up the spec but am not sure how.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is really good advice. I used dark flare a lot just because it’s something you can do from range. In BGs there’ll be a lot of games where you’re fighting a sorc heavy group and people are vying for position waiting to pounce. Instead of standing there I would throw dark flares, or if people aren’t focusing on you it’s great in a combo.

Anyone notice as soon as you toppling you’ll immediately get stunned? So annoying in BGs.

Anyways, I added that ability that heals you when you take damage now on my front bar. It adds more staying power when you’re pushing.

Overall I don’t find my magplar as fun these days. You’re prone to sorc burst and losing the snare on ritual killed my hit and run playstyle. I need to change up the spec but am not sure how.

Im not sure what happened with sorc to where it came on recently for damage. I know they reduced the streak cost penalty to match dodge and thats annoying AF; but yeah. If you can't force a sorc into a tight melee range fight (which then means you are going to get streaked on CC immunity cooldown) and be able to pressure them; its over without some kind of range defense. You can purge a lot of their burst and heal off the stuff, but you arent doing anything while doing that.

And as far as getting stunned in toppling; probably should use your immovability pot then or at least be in melee range and use it as CC more than a gap closer so less time for them to react.
    Edited by technohic on March 25, 2020 12:49PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Im not sure what happened with sorc to where it came on recently for damage. I know they reduced the streak cost penalty to match dodge and thats annoying AF; but yeah. If you can't force a sorc into a tight melee range fight (which then means you are going to get streaked on CC immunity cooldown) and be able to pressure them; its over without some kind of range defense. You can purge a lot of their burst and heal off the stuff, but you arent doing anything while doing that.

And as far as getting stunned in toppling; probably should use your immovability pot then or at least be in melee range and use it as CC more than a gap closer so less time for them to react.

Hum, I’ll try the immovability pot so I’ll need to find space for an ability that gives spell crit.

With sorcs I think it was a L2P issue, most have switched to better stamina sustain and overload. After I argued with some, and they called me a noob, some tried it and are now doing better.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair