The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Magicka Sorcs Against Ball of Lightning-Updated

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so basically the "UPDATE" is that you only got some of the nerfs you wanted, and now you want more nerfs.

Firstly, why do you guys act like sorcs are going to be casting BoL every 3 seconds? Nobody is going to do that in a real fight. You know we still need to attack and shield and heal and buff, right?

Secondly, has everyone forgotten how unreliable the orb is? It most certainly does not absorb everything it's supposed to, and it never did. It still can't be used reactively, either, like Wings could.

Thirdly, you guys still won't acknowledge the fact that the orb used to last SIX seconds, and yet Sorcs died all the time, LOL, just like they do now.

Fourthly, you are all ignoring the context. Sorcs don't exist in a vacuum! Living Dark is OP. POTL is OP, and now it can CRIT. Cloak is (still) OP. Fossilize is still OP, and ZOS just keeps giving DKs one buff after another. Sorcs need all the buffs we can get.

The buff to BoL is the only silver lining Sorcs have seen after wave upon wave of crippling nerfs. Shields are tiny and expensive. Pets are dead. DOTs were going to save us, but now they're dead, too. Yet some of you guys who claim to be Sorcs are actually asking for more nerfs! Sounds crazy to me.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    = ..and ZOS just keeps giving DKs one buff after another. Sorcs need all the buffs we can get.

Funniest thing I've seen today. gg.
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Does the BoL orb absorb projectiles that are mid-air when you teleport? Or do they change direction in mid-air to hit your new location?

It doesn't.
    The way it works is that when you fire a projectile, and the target is close enough to an enemy BoL, your attack will be redirected into it.

This is a critical point, then. The ball is only useful under certain positions and line of sight requirements. It's not like old DK wings that were guaranteed protection for the duration. And the fact you need to use it preemptively and not reactively. That's a big deal.

Edited by josh.lackey_ESO on October 16, 2019 7:09PM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buff to BoL is the only silver lining Sorcs have seen after wave upon wave of crippling nerfs. Shields are tiny and expensive. Pets are dead. DOTs were going to save us, but now they're dead, too. Yet some of you guys who claim to be Sorcs are actually asking for more nerfs! Sounds crazy to me.

As long as you still have a 30k+ (tooltip) nuke that you can fire off every 4 seconds from 36 meters away, auto-healing the whole time, and then streak away to safety, I think you're fine.

My sorc uses no pets, no shields, and any time I spend any amount of time on that character I reach the top 10 deathmatch leaderboards without even trying.. and it's not even close to my main char. Sorc is still 10000% EZ mode and it always has been. I'm not asking for nerfs but you are majorly exaggerating the state of sorcs at the moment. Aside from pet builds, sorcs are looking pretty good at the moment on PTS imo. I never crutched on shields so idc about that.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    = ..and ZOS just keeps giving DKs one buff after another. Sorcs need all the buffs we can get.

The funny part is that DKs get buffs and think they're nerfs. I just watched Alcast's video about the new Stamina spammable "Stonefist" or whatever it's called, and literally gasped when I saw the tooltip... it was almost 50% higher than a typical Magicka build spammable like Force Pulse or Elemental Weapon. Since DKs have been begging for a Stam spammable forever, you would think they would be grateful, right? Nah, all they do is complain and push back the bowl like a finicky cat!

DKs are probably the second strongest class in the game right now, only one notch down from OP Templars, but they come on the forums and act like they're class has been "gutted" or whatever. Cry me a river!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The funny part is that DKs get buffs and think they're nerfs. I just watched Alcast's video about the new Stamina spammable "Stonefist" or whatever it's called, and literally gasped when I saw the tooltip... it was almost 50% higher than a typical Magicka build spammable like Force Pulse or Elemental Weapon. Since DKs have been begging for a Stam spammable forever, you would think they would be grateful, right? Nah, all they do is complain and push back the bowl like a finicky cat!

DKs are probably the second strongest class in the game right now, only one notch down from OP Templars, but they come on the forums and act like they're class has been "gutted" or whatever. Cry me a river!

Alcast's video was very much PVE focused. Looks like there may be a good reason to bring stamDK's to raids now. Nice. Also, I don't think alcast showed the stats for that build in the video, so who knows what was going into that tooltip. Even so, I doubt many stamDK's use it in PVP because the stun will be unreliable and will cause you to give CC immunity when you really don't want to. I will stick with wrecking blow + fossilize for now, personally.. and I assume most other PVP stamDK's will do the same. Also.. one decent spammable is nothing compared to a 15k curse + a 15k frag + mages wrath that can all be lined up to hit simultaneously, and all of which is cast from a safe 36 meters away, with your finger hovering over the streak button just in case. Seriously get real. Have you spent any real time playing a stamDK?? I have a hard time believing you'd make this comment if you had.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Alcast's video was very much PVE focused. Looks like there may be a good reason to bring stamDK's to raids now. Nice. Also, I don't think alcast showed the stats for that build in the video, so who knows what was going into that tooltip. Even so, I doubt many stamDK's use it in PVP because the stun will be unreliable and will cause you to give CC immunity when you really don't want to. I will stick with wrecking blow + fossilize for now, personally.. and I assume most other PVP stamDK's will do the same. Also.. one decent spammable is nothing compared to a 15k curse + a 15k frag + mages wrath that can all be lined up to hit simultaneously, and all of which is cast from a safe 36 meters away, with your finger hovering over the streak button just in case. Seriously get real. Have you spent any real time playing a stamDK?? I have a hard time believing you'd make this comment if you had.

Aaand here we go again. You HATE ranged classes, right? Why can't everyone just be a brawler with a big two-handed sword? Why do you have to have a gapcloser slotted? Should be free! (>.<)/
    15k Curse and Frags? Uh-huh. And you stun how, exactly, from 36 meters away? Ever tried blocking/dodging that Nuke Frag? And while we're on the subject of hyperbole, as a vampire, I'm sick of 20 Dawnbreakers that go through my dodge. Or mag DKs literally melting me within seconds. Get a grip!
    Stamina DKs have an extremely powerful ultimate. The BEST CC in the game. Good pressure with DoTs, good healing synergy. Stamina as a whole has extremely good sets and good weapon lines. Stam DKs certainly aren't useless. Maybe they could be better, but every class could be, after the new combat team brought the nerfpocalypse upon us.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Aaand here we go again. You HATE ranged classes, right? Why can't everyone just be a brawler with a big two-handed sword? Why do you have to have a gapcloser slotted? Should be free! (>.<)/
    15k Curse and Frags? Uh-huh. And you stun how, exactly, from 36 meters away? Ever tried blocking/dodging that Nuke Frag? And while we're on the subject of hyperbole, as a vampire, I'm sick of 20 Dawnbreakers that go through my dodge. Or mag DKs literally melting me within seconds. Get a grip!
    Stamina DKs have an extremely powerful ultimate. The BEST CC in the game. Good pressure with DoTs, good healing synergy. Stamina as a whole has extremely good sets and good weapon lines. Stam DKs certainly aren't useless. Maybe they could be better, but every class could be, after the new combat team brought the nerfpocalypse upon us.

Never said stamDK was useless.. I think they're in a great spot right now.

I don't hate ranged classes at all. I have a mag and stam build of every class and I play them all.. ranged and mele. You're right you can definitely counter a magsorc, as you can counter a stamDK or anyone else. I was just pointing out how silly it is to complain about stamDK being overpowered while calling for Sorc buffs. Look at the scoreboard at the end of any death match and tell me who is having an easier time of things.. sorcs or DK's. Try being a stamDK in a BG with just 2 enemy sorcs on the map. It is quite difficult (not impossible, but difficult). StamDK may get the upperhand if they get close, but a half-way competent sorc can easily get out of that situation in an instant and resume launching ranged nukes at their leisure. Not saying I hate sorcs because of it.. it's just something I've observed to be true after spending lots and lots of time playing both classes.
    Edited by ketsparrowhawk on October 16, 2019 9:27PM
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This!

DKs are all over the forums complaining about how squishy and weak they are. Yet, pretty much every DK I meet in PvP is a tank high DPS damage dealer. You can unload an entire burst combo on them and their HP bar barely flinches. This is especially true for stamDKs.

For PvE, I cannot comment. But for PvP DKs are strong and always have been.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously get real. Have you spent any real time playing a stamDK?? I have a hard time believing you'd make this comment if you had.

Have you?

Because my StamDK been doing it like a rockstar this patch. Lowkey "op" after templar if totally have to use that term.. if you wanna rate things in some 1vs1 vacuum.

In reality = with Wings up (yes, i use them) any caster class/spec (msorc/magblade/magden) burst combo actual damage i end up taking is like 4-5k combined even from those ones that heavily spec on damage and know what they are doing, with the 30k hp i got and 5k weapon damage.. i will maul them to shreds in 5 seconds or less without having to actively even heal.

And it takes usually a full group to beat me up for a solid 1 minute until i go down, unless i feel playful and run to the next resource tower corner.. so yeah. For me StamDK is both tanky AND has good damage (Corrosive is juicybeans), Major Mending at will as a sweetener.

Stamden is right there with StamDK. Magsorc burst is solid, but it is needed and fair. You need delayed burst combos and classes that can do them, or you never kill tanky regen builds.

Reality is when on my Msorc, or Magblade, or Magcro.. when against a StamDK (or Stamsorc and so on and hear that Onslaught sound..) with Corrosive, all i can do is kite, shields go down like a tin foil armor and its over in seconds. Trying to kite is almost pointless against good players with a gapcloser. And if you manage to survive, new ulti is up fast for them, since they can soak damage easily and good ultigen & pressure.

I feel it is pointless to say all this.. but just wanted to say that i play all classes equally and without going into Templars.. StamDK is (and has been for a while) like playing Popeye on crack, can smash things hard with couple dots on the side and things melt. Watch some good StamDK streamers if not take my word for it. There is a reason why most peoples reaction on 1vs1 against a good StamDK is to escape it if can. Most people are ready to go 1vs1 against a msorc though. Just saying.

Msorc is good at what it is supposed to be, finishing targets with burst and being mobile and ready to escape if things not go as planned.

In fact, when i play either StamDK or Msorc in a duo with other being other, there is a nice symbiosis between them even they do not give class buff that benefits the other, but the playstyle does. They feel good together with DK controlling enemy and taking some heat as the brawler and sorc doing burst without having to spend most gcd`s to shield and kite. Now THAT is class balance in action that is not a vacuum 1vs1 thinking but we play together and things happen as they feel to be intended.

Now.. meet the enemy duo, a Magplar and a Stamden, Bubble.. and Shimmering Shield on Warden. So Msorc burst, well.. does it sound "op" anymore?

Sorc BoL`s away while laughing at discord while StamDK brawls a possible draw and the enemies go find easier target to kill than you turtling them on SnB bar. Such is the reality on actual PVP, i have no idea why people cry about msorcs at the end of 2019. :D

Edited by Moonsorrow on October 16, 2019 10:21PM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    Seriously get real. Have you spent any real time playing a stamDK?? I have a hard time believing you'd make this comment if you had.

Have you?

Because my StamDK been doing it like a rockstar this patch. Lowkey "op" after templar if totally have to use that term.. if you wanna rate things in some 1vs1 vacuum.

In reality = with Wings up (yes, i use them) any caster class/spec (msorc/magblade/magden) burst combo actual damage i end up taking is like 4-5k combined even from those ones that heavily spec on damage and know what they are doing, with the 30k hp i got and 5k weapon damage.. i will maul them to shreds in 5 seconds or less without having to actively even heal.

And it takes usually a full group to beat me up for a solid 1 minute until i go down, unless i feel playful and run to the next resource tower corner.. so yeah. For me StamDK is both tanky AND has good damage (Corrosive is juicybeans), Major Mending at will as a sweetener.

Stamden is right there with StamDK. Magsorc burst is solid, but it is needed and fair. You need delayed burst combos and classes that can do them, or you never kill tanky regen builds.

Reality is when on my Msorc, or Magblade, or Magcro.. when against a StamDK (or Stamsorc and so on and hear that Onslaught sound..) with Corrosive, all i can do is kite, shields go down like a tin foil armor and its over in seconds. Trying to kite is almost pointless against good players with a gapcloser. And if you manage to survive, new ulti is up fast for them, since they can soak damage easily and good ultigen & pressure.

I feel it is pointless to say all this.. but just wanted to say that i play all classes equally and without going into Templars.. StamDK is (and has been for a while) like playing Popeye on crack, can smash things hard with couple dots on the side and things melt. Watch some good StamDK streamers if not take my word for it. There is a reason why most peoples reaction on 1vs1 against a good StamDK is to escape it if can. Most people are ready to go 1vs1 against a msorc though. Just saying.

Msorc is good at what it is supposed to be, finishing targets with burst and being mobile and ready to escape if things not go as planned.

In fact, when i play either StamDK or Msorc in a duo with other being other, there is a nice symbiosis between them even they do not give class buff that benefits the other, but the playstyle does. They feel good together with DK controlling enemy and taking some heat as the brawler and sorc doing burst without having to spend most gcd`s to shield and kite. Now THAT is class balance in action that is not a vacuum 1vs1 thinking but we play together and things happen as they feel to be intended.

Now.. meet the enemy duo, a Magplar and a Stamden, Bubble.. and Shimmering Shield on Warden. So Msorc burst, well.. does it sound "op" anymore?

Sorc BoL`s away while laughing at discord while StamDK brawls a possible draw and the enemies go find easier target to kill than you turtling them on SnB bar. Such is the reality on actual PVP, i have no idea why people cry about msorcs at the end of 2019. :D

Yes I have been maining a stamDK this patch and I agree they feel great right now. Never said otherwise. But I do not believe they are at all OP and I do not believe sorcs are suffering what so ever (pet builds aside). You're right that they are good at what they do, as is stamDK.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't the sorcs on these forums take the buffs and enjoy a patch where mag sorc is not utter trash and go back to being garbage in 5 months time.

That's the least I expect from zos and this community
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Never said stamDK was useless.. I think they're in a great spot right now.

I don't hate ranged classes at all. I have a mag and stam build of every class and I play them all.. ranged and mele. You're right you can definitely counter a magsorc, as you can counter a stamDK or anyone else. I was just pointing out how silly it is to complain about stamDK being overpowered while calling for Sorc buffs. Look at the scoreboard at the end of any death match and tell me who is having an easier time of things.. sorcs or DK's. Try being a stamDK in a BG with just 2 enemy sorcs on the map. It is quite difficult (not impossible, but difficult). StamDK may get the upperhand if they get close, but a half-way competent sorc can easily get out of that situation in an instant and resume launching ranged nukes at their leisure. Not saying I hate sorcs because of it.. it's just something I've observed to be true after spending lots and lots of time playing both classes.

Eh. While I can understand your point, know that BG really isn't my first concern when looking at balance. The game is designed around CP and large battlefields or flags. And on that note, sorcs actually suffer from no-CP reduced mag pool and tight, non-streakable, spaces. We all know Fury kill-stealing is obnoxious in BGs, though.
  • SipofMaim
    SipofMaim
    ✭✭✭✭
    And while we're on the subject of hyperbole, as a vampire, I'm sick of 20 Dawnbreakers that go through my dodge. Or mag DKs literally melting me within seconds.

If it makes you feel any better, getting to fight a vampire is the magDK happy place.

... It probably doesn't make you feel any better though.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SipofMaim wrote: »
    And while we're on the subject of hyperbole, as a vampire, I'm sick of 20 Dawnbreakers that go through my dodge. Or mag DKs literally melting me within seconds.

If it makes you feel any better, getting to fight a vampire is the magDK happy place.

No, it doesn't.
    ='{
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it doesn't.
    ='{

Free 5th set bonus or more (recovery+undeath) should have some downsides. You may always clean yourself of this filth and quit be feared by magDKs.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No, it doesn't.
    ='{

Free 5th set bonus or more (recovery+undeath) should have some downsides. You may always clean yourself of this filth and quit be feared by magDKs.

You are WAYYY overexaggerating the benefits. The recovery has a mediocre calculation and is more like 7%, not that great. Undeath really only comes into play when you're taking a barrage of executes, so it rarely helps. Doesn't quite make up for all the additional fire and oneshot damage in PvE or Dawnbreaker and mDK in PvP. People typically choose vampirism for Mistform, which sorc doesn't need.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the new BoL change.

People who complain about the 3 secs orb, also forget tge fact that sorcerer have to immobile. Ball raduis is 5 meter, if you go away from the ball, all incoming dmg is directed to you. We all now what happena when squishy class become immobile, they get rekt by melee. It is a trade off, lose range pressure for melee pressure. It is less of an escape tool now and you can use it both offensively and defensively. I would still choose streak if I wanted to "streak away". I still believe the BoL should grant snare immunity instead of removal.