The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

FPS drop over time

• drguild
    drguild
    I have been getting this for a while now so dunno what can do without restarting the game every hour.

I start about 60FPS then I will drop to 10FPS over time with GPU going from 100% used down to to 30%.
    One core is also high when this happens.

I have a feeling it's a garbage collection thing from keeping older data in the CPU cycles.

My memory is at 6GB out of 12 physical and 13.1 committed out of 15GB, so may be a virtual mem thing though I have paging set to a max of 40GB.

I plan to get a 9700K in a month but dunno if that will solve this.
    Edited by drguild on January 27, 2019 7:37AM
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    I get this as well even in 2019, long after the 64bit client released. In some cases the FPS is very low right when I login, but if I relog it goes back to normal. In other cases it takes a while to drop. It goes from normal 70-90 FPS down to 30-40 range no matter where I am. If I relog it goes right back up to normal.

There is also another, possibly related issue. In some cases my FPS is normal if I face one way, but if I turn to face another it drops significantly. If I relog that issue clears up as well.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The FPS drop over time can be "somewhat" alleviated by following the steps i put out in a video awhile back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYJeanHHQ4

This will make the FPS drops over time on Windows 10 less noticeable and will buy you a bit more time before your forced to restart the client.

However the only "real" fix to the FPS drop over time issue in ESO is rolling back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 with the Platform Update for Windows 7 installed. This is because DirectX11 in Windows 10 is emulated though DirectX12 (by using feature levels) this means a Direct X11 application running on Windows 10 runs through DirectX12 but only calls the feature levels for DirectX 11.0, 11.1 or 11.2. This is how previous previous versions of DirectX worked on previous versions of Windows such as DX8 running though DX9 on XP, DX9 running though DX10 on Vista, and DX 10 running through DX11 on Win 7 and Win 8.

The issue is the implementation of piping DX11 though DX12 is bugged in Windows 10. I have reported this to Microsoft for the last year and a half. I have a support agreement though Microsoft where I work, and I was told by Tier 3 support that they are aware of this issue but have ZERO intentions to fix it.I was told this was left in place soley for enterprise users who use version of .Net and WPF and WPP applications mostly. They want to move away from DirectX11 completely when Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 support expires (2020 for Windows 7 extended and 2023 for Windows 8.1) their response was to port the application to DirectX12 or work around the Windows 10 DirectX11 implementation.

I guess this issue only happens in certain cases which is why many other games are not effected. I would guess something ESO does with lighting and particles causes this bug to crop up. The bug however does not exist in Windows 7 or 8.1 which have native implementations of DirectX11.0, 11.1 and 11.2.

I know folks don't want to hear this, but Microsoft isn't fixing this DirectX11 bug on Windows 10. At this point if ZOS wants to continue with DirectX11 than they need to find what part of their code(im guessing lighting and particles) is causing the bug and refactor that code to address it.

Also, don't forget the following updates are baked into Windows 10 and can not be removed:
    KB971033-- Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
    KB2952664 -- Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7
    KB2976978 -- Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
    KB2990214 -- Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
    KB3021917 -- Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
    KB3022345 -- Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3035583 -- Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
    KB3044374 -- Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
    KB3068708 -- Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3075249 -- Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    KB3080149 -- Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3123862 -- Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Those updates are constantly using CPU cycles in the background and are constantly reporting telemetry data to Microsoft and there is no way to shut them off unless your running Windows 10 enterprise which requires a Volume License Key which is only available to companies who purchase in large quantities or in some educational licensing.

Those updates were backported to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but they can be uninstalled and hidden on those OS and the Tracking Services disabed or deleted thus your computer isn't constantly using CPU cycles reporting telemetry. Yes, your PC faults every second, and every time it does that in the background telemetry goes to work.

honestly Windows 10 is a bear of an OS. It uses 15% more ram than Windows 8.1 does, its slower in everyday use on the same hardware, and its constantly collecting user data, and is just downright buggy. They had to pull the Windows 10 1809 update 3 times due to catastrophic bugs (Like deleting users files from My Documents on upgrade) among many others things.

If you can roll back to a previous version i would suggest it. If not than follow my video and it should give you some relief.

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• spartycus
    spartycus
    ✭✭✭
    d0e1ow wrote: »
    Bumping this because it is still occurring.

• Onra
    Onra
    Soul Shriven
    Just started playing a few weeks ago and noticed this same problem that everyone else is having:

FPS goes down after playing for 30 minutes+ ... Not very pleasant :( The game starts at 100+ fps and eventually drops below the 60's ......

Win 10 - GTX 2080 - i7 9700k - 16 gigs RAM
    Edited by Onra on February 5, 2019 3:26AM
    ~
  • Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭

The FPS drop over time can be "somewhat" alleviated by following the steps i put out in a video awhile back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pYJeanHHQ4

This will make the FPS drops over time on Windows 10 less noticeable and will buy you a bit more time before your forced to restart the client.

However the only "real" fix to the FPS drop over time issue in ESO is rolling back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 with the Platform Update for Windows 7 installed. This is because DirectX11 in Windows 10 is emulated though DirectX12 (by using feature levels) this means a Direct X11 application running on Windows 10 runs through DirectX12 but only calls the feature levels for DirectX 11.0, 11.1 or 11.2. This is how previous previous versions of DirectX worked on previous versions of Windows such as DX8 running though DX9 on XP, DX9 running though DX10 on Vista, and DX 10 running through DX11 on Win 7 and Win 8.

The issue is the implementation of piping DX11 though DX12 is bugged in Windows 10. I have reported this to Microsoft for the last year and a half. I have a support agreement though Microsoft where I work, and I was told by Tier 3 support that they are aware of this issue but have ZERO intentions to fix it.I was told this was left in place soley for enterprise users who use version of .Net and WPF and WPP applications mostly. They want to move away from DirectX11 completely when Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 support expires (2020 for Windows 7 extended and 2023 for Windows 8.1) their response was to port the application to DirectX12 or work around the Windows 10 DirectX11 implementation.

I guess this issue only happens in certain cases which is why many other games are not effected. I would guess something ESO does with lighting and particles causes this bug to crop up. The bug however does not exist in Windows 7 or 8.1 which have native implementations of DirectX11.0, 11.1 and 11.2.

I know folks don't want to hear this, but Microsoft isn't fixing this DirectX11 bug on Windows 10. At this point if ZOS wants to continue with DirectX11 than they need to find what part of their code(im guessing lighting and particles) is causing the bug and refactor that code to address it.

Also, don't forget the following updates are baked into Windows 10 and can not be removed:
    KB971033-- Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
    KB2952664 -- Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7
    KB2976978 -- Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
    KB2990214 -- Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
    KB3021917 -- Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
    KB3022345 -- Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3035583 -- Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
    KB3044374 -- Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
    KB3068708 -- Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3075249 -- Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    KB3080149 -- Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
    KB3123862 -- Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Those updates are constantly using CPU cycles in the background and are constantly reporting telemetry data to Microsoft and there is no way to shut them off unless your running Windows 10 enterprise which requires a Volume License Key which is only available to companies who purchase in large quantities or in some educational licensing.

Those updates were backported to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 but they can be uninstalled and hidden on those OS and the Tracking Services disabed or deleted thus your computer isn't constantly using CPU cycles reporting telemetry. Yes, your PC faults every second, and every time it does that in the background telemetry goes to work.

honestly Windows 10 is a bear of an OS. It uses 15% more ram than Windows 8.1 does, its slower in everyday use on the same hardware, and its constantly collecting user data, and is just downright buggy. They had to pull the Windows 10 1809 update 3 times due to catastrophic bugs (Like deleting users files from My Documents on upgrade) among many others things.

If you can roll back to a previous version i would suggest it. If not than follow my video and it should give you some relief.

TLDR:

Get Win7 64 Pro and install it, only Download Major Updates and skip all optional Updates, deactivate "Diagnostics Tracking Services" and you should fine? Did I miss something or is it rly that easy?
    Edited by Keewo on February 8, 2019 12:59PM
    Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
  • ArchaicSEAL
    ArchaicSEAL
    ✭✭
    So this is still a problem? I came back to check and see if this problem had been resolved before I purchase the next expansion and try to play ESO again... but it seems that Zenimax never fixed this crap. Too bad. I refuse to give them any money until they make the game playable for longer than 30mins.

I had the same problem back when the last expansion released. Try to play the game.. was getting great 100fps constant with all settings maxed. But after about 20 to 30 mins my fps would drop.. and drop and drop.. and end up at around 30fps before I couldnt take it anymore and had to logout and restart the client. Reloading the UI never worked.

I tried removing all of my mods, tried reinstalling the game, tried different nvidia drivers... nothing ever worked. I finally gave up and stopped playing. It is sad to see that the problem still exists. Guess Zenimax is still not getting any of my money. Oh well, that just means I can buy more skins in path of exile.

Too bad.
  • Garack
    Garack
    ✭✭✭
    Still no official answer? So they dont care...says enough.
  • MerQrial
    MerQrial
    Any news on this after the update?

• Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is still there and still no answer from ZOS. The only Hope I have is an Information about a Performance Update concerning Textures.

I think its a general Overhaul to the Texturerendering of the Game.

If were lucky, this will finally Fix the Fps Drops OT problem as well.

I think it will roll Out Summer or Autumn this Year.
    Edited by Keewo on February 27, 2019 3:58AM
    Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
  • Sitja
    Sitja
    Like you said people

In every trial, after the "second try" the fps start decreasing. Out of combat, I start from around 140fps, then it goes to 50 fps after an hour. In combat, I start from 40fps then it goes to 25fps after an hour.
    But I did not notice it through fps, the game becomes way less fluent, it becomes very jerky which is very noticeable.

As some said, porting elsewhere then coming back fixes it. Logout and login again fixes it. A reloadUI doesn't fix it.

i58600k Nvidia1070TI - Stable temperatures - Windows 10

If i take a look at the recommended requirements :
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel® Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350
    8GB System RAM
    85GB free HDD space
    DirectX 11 compliant video card with 2 GB of RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750 or AMD Radeon™ HD 7850) or higher

Should we really install windows 7 ? Don't think so as people say they still have the issue. It is frustrating when you think that going for eso+ will make the dev team put some more efforts into the performances issues. But it kinda looks like a scam sometimes. The new content make us forget about real issues.

When Summerset has been released we all noticed an improvement in the perfomances. We want more !
    This year was the year of disconnections, packet loss and high spikes. Vivec and Sotha Sil are barely playable because of massive lags. PvE was the only "serious" content. We still have poor fps performances, we must disable every settings except sub-sampling to make the game playable when doing multiplayer content.
    If there are things where it is really hard to understand what happens, like lags issues. Please put at least some efforts into the quality of the software itself instead of running for new contents.
    For instance, why did you release the Dungeon Finder Event ? It had to be a failure. Every experienced players know that battlegrounds and dungeons are very difficult to join with the Finder when it is crowded (it almost doesnt work between 21pm and 23pm).

We all noticed that the dev team did not test the trials on EU platform at Wrathstone release.
    The question is : will ZOS keep trying to improve the game ? or will it become a game for players greedy for contents, stories and solo adventuring ?

I think i've lost myself in this message, but the point is here : lot of people pay for ESO+. Can the game be improved ? We also pay for the new content once a year. It would be nice to use that money wisely. Lot of my friends stop buying crowns because they feel scammed. I feel scammed when my fps goes down and my setup costs 2k€. I feel scammed when I pay for two differents VPNs to be able to play the game without lags. Please help us making that game the greatest MMO's among all.
    Edited by Sitja on March 1, 2019 6:40PM
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    If they told us something like the game has memory leaks resulting in loss of FPS over time. Or stating that this game requires a strong CPU due to it's poor optimisation and barely existent multi-core support resulting in even certain angles and not even in combat dropping FPS majorly. They surely would save a ton of time players wasted trying to fix the issues for so many people. Even linking us to the official info since the forum structure is a massive waste of time to navigate would be "nice" to say the least.

Deep in the forums the memory leak issue and CPU bottlenecking issue has had at least 1 official post on each over all these years. I wish i was able to find info about windows 10 and eso. Win 10 is said to be releasing a patch this year allowing for fullscreen option to be more controlled by game developers allowing it to stay fullscreen in many games after alt tabbing should they make changes for that. Generally that is about 5% to 10% FPS higher then borderless window mode. I'd like to know if this will apply to eso. And would like to know if it reduces CPU strain to allow for more game processing and better performance with that as well. In eso that would increase FPS drastically since a i7 6700 CPU bottlenecks even in the lowest demanding areas of the game and would give our graphics cards a higher GPU load/utilisation like 98%+ as every other game i have seen does. Not being commonly at 30% GPU load with a Vega64 graphics card. Same FPS in eso as my obsolete 290x. Double FPS in every other game at max settings and triple screen as well. A crappy obsolete dual core CPU that is crap in almost anything else outside of eso. Especially other games. Can give FPS in eso equivalent to that of the latest 8th gen or 9th gen CPU's. 100 FPS in all of PvE except trials where it rarely gets a minimum ever of 70 FPS. Only having 2 cores on a inside a CPU resulted in those PC's getting a massive FPS increase when multi-core support was added. Previously they had about 20FPS. The rest of us got basically no noticeable difference. And improving it further is likely to only be minimal results over many years at best would expect. If it is improved over time as has been officially mentioned but i see no one reporting a patch since then has improved FPS/CPU utilisation and increasing GPU utilisation.Tons of work as having tasks on different cores can easily break things. Many things like Physics all need to stay on 1 core and also need to communicate with other cores. The engine used at the commencement of the games creation was made at a time that multi-core CPU's were never expected to be something outside of commercial use by any gaming company. On eso live years back it was stated that had they started creating the game during that moment of broadcast. They would have used a newer engine. Other games beyond this one using the engine/engines used in eso and to me would clearly have issues. I would expect exactly that. Good thing multi million dollar companies out there realise this simple thing. ok, that last line is nothing more then a stab at what i expect of future titles using this engine that dates back decades already. Stupid reasons clearly getting in the way of using well known better engines with some being roughly the same age as well. A new engine costs a ton to make and outsourcing existing ones would be far better. But, that has never been seen from any of the games released by Zenimax associate companies and is confirmed to stay that way for all the future announced titles. Sadly

As much as win 7 was so good. I would personally only use win 10. It still definitely has it's issues that win 7 never had. Currently Win 10 has improved with patches enough imo to be the choice to use for almost everyone on a personal PC used for gaming. Future win 10 patches will help with gaming even more. As win 7 gets older it gets more vulnerable to issues of many sorts. Compatibility, security, conflicts, optimisations and much more.
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭
    mrpaxman wrote: »
    Only having 2 cores on a inside a CPU resulted in those PC's getting a massive FPS increase when multi-core support was added.

Have you tried to turn Hyperthreading off in Uefi/Bios and forcing ESO to work on 2 Cores? Im not sure if I understand you correct there but as we are able to have CPUs with 4,5+ Ghz and more per Core, why not trying that. Im interested to hear if that works.. If yes I would try the same with my i7 4790k.

I mean, sure its not our Job to do that as result of ZOS failing to programming their Game correctly but Im so tired of it and Im almost only playing ESO, that Im wanted to do anything to "Fix" this Drops over Time.

You also mensioned its triggered by Tab Out? Im sure that isnt the only reason as I get this as well in after a Restart in different Trials with Exclusive Fullscreen enabled and no Tab out till Raid End after more than a Hour.. After that Hour or sometimes less, many Wipes at Bosses later Fps Drops and Drops until theyre at a Point around 40 where the whole Game slows down, where 40 fps feeling like 20 or so, laggy, slow, dying. lol

Edited by Keewo on March 4, 2019 10:00AM
    Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
  • ziiah200a
    ziiah200a
    Soul Shriven
    Hi

maybe this will help you

change graphic setting from ultra to medium

my system
    win 10 64 bit
    2560*14440 g-synk
    1080 ti
    32 gb ram
    for me problem solved

mvh
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A FPS DoT!
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    Keewo wrote: »
    mrpaxman wrote: »
    Only having 2 cores on a inside a CPU resulted in those PC's getting a massive FPS increase when multi-core support was added.

Have you tried to turn Hyperthreading off in Uefi/Bios and forcing ESO to work on 2 Cores? Im not sure if I understand you correct there but as we are able to have CPUs with 4,5+ Ghz and more per Core, why not trying that. Im interested to hear if that works.. If yes I would try the same with my i7 4790k.

I mean, sure its not our Job to do that as result of ZOS failing to programming their Game correctly but Im so tired of it and Im almost only playing ESO, that Im wanted to do anything to "Fix" this Drops over Time.

You also mensioned its triggered by Tab Out? Im sure that isnt the only reason as I get this as well in after a Restart in different Trials with Exclusive Fullscreen enabled and no Tab out till Raid End after more than a Hour.. After that Hour or sometimes less, many Wipes at Bosses later Fps Drops and Drops until theyre at a Point around 40 where the whole Game slows down, where 40 fps feeling like 20 or so, laggy, slow, dying. lol

I guess i got a little sidetracked including other FPS issues. haha

After your suggestion i tried both turning off hyperthreading on my i7 6700 and then reducing cores from 4 to 2
    Stock/Hyperthreading on: 58 FPS
    Hyperthreading off. all 4 cores on: 58 FPS
    Hyperthreading off. Using only 2 cores: 52 FPS

I would just overclock your CPU to improve overall FPS. Not much else can be done apart from throwing even more CPU power at it from either overclocking or upgrading even higher to compensate for what this game lacks so much in

Your point of the core speed on those cores is definitely valid as single core performance should now be above old single core or dual core CPU's in applications or games only using that amount of cores. With both our CPU's. The specs of the person owning an Alienware laptop getting those results i can find out more about. I know she has an i3 CPU and a 970 graphics card in it. And bought about 3 years back. Very similar time as my 6700 was out and i bought that. Also i found it a bit weird i have had 2 players tell me they had extreme edition CPU's and their FPS on a things like very capable 980ti's that should give 100 FPS solidly, is about 35 in cities. 33% GPU load was reported with that specific setup standing still near me in Grahtwood by the wayshrine. He is having a blast in VR after his some what recent upgrades. I will try to get more info and pics from the laptop owner getting far better FPS on a lower graphics card and CPU. She still loves the FPS improvements of multicore being added last year. Her laptop was once known as the "potato" in eso. I have defs seen screenshots that show 100 FPS from her in places i get about 35 FPS. It's definitely shocking to see that. And frustrating lol

The tab out thing is just so we can all use the fullscreen option instead of the windowed option with out having issues like, tab out and it switching from fullscreen mode to windowed mode. A staff member of another game was telling me that many patches starting in 2019 would allow much more control over things including that to game developers. Depending on the game it often ranges to an increase of about 5 to 10 FPS in most games between the 2 ways of seeing a fullscreen picture. A FPS numebr i have seen in most game sbut not still many that don't. That amount was also stated by staff in other games as well as being my own results. It would be great to know if eso will alter things to work with that change. Or simply knowing of any future attempts to fix FPS at all would be extremely nice to

As for FPS drops over time. That is often associated with memory leaks. A game restart is about the only major known thing we can do to fix that. Specific graphical settings being more CPU intensive like shadows set to low is a bit of a general poor but best thing we can do to improving FPS on high end PC's that are usually set to high/max graphics. See link below for some official info on improving FPS adn good insight also. It used to be even worse years back. 45 mins on a dolmen train and FPS would drop to around half quite easily. There is definitely more to it that i don't understand still as many players get about half the FPS in about that 45 mins still. And others not noticing any FPS drops over many hours of solid gameplay. System specs don't seem to play a factor nor can i find anything else consistent for it to be happening like different game settings, resolutions, hardware, etc. The FPS drop over time due to memory leaks that are well known doesn't quite say the full story of FPS drops over time to me since it's not impacting enough to cause loss in FPS over time that is noticable to everyone. While many others it definitely is

I personally can play online with no noticable loss in FPS over time in PvE. A solid 8 hours of busy combat and lots of players shows no loss in FPS in PvE for me. In Cyro ill lose textures as many would have likely seen but my FPS is no lower then when i started. I'll get about 50 FPS in cities with my 6700CPU. Both of our CPU's should handle 100+ FPS in a game like this clsoe to always in this era of gaming. I definitely agree we shouldn't need to do all this work and still be playing as badly with FPS issues. My Vega64 has the exact same FPS in all of eso as my old obsolete 290x graphics card. All other games i increased FPS by about double and still no CPU bottlenecking. My advice to staff is get an iRacing.com account and see how they do everything amazingly. And before it said to not be comparable. To that i would say total bs. It has everything this game has to do. Does all of it more. Does all of it better. Has even higher graphical options to the point they will give us more when any PC can handle such insane demands like having up to 64 AI vehicles on track with world leading precision. Currently we can do 64 cars with mathematical equtions resulting in almost similar to real life its that good. with just the physics and graphical capabilities area as just 1 example. And something everyone really likes is the fact they will not release AI cars until they are totally confident that there will be no problems at all when it is implemented is what we are told. That is so great to hear even after 18 months since its creation was commenced. They will definitely continue another 10 years on the same game as well as the last 10 years. It's engine even dates back older then what eso uses. It's an esports game meaning that the slightest loss in a single packet loss like wifi gives results in cars flickering to unplayable levels. 0.1 to 0.3 of a second is a car behind me. Even in true triple screen and having 3 camera angles for each screen to remove stretching normally associated with wide displays. Anything mentioned on their forums like how i am currently is quickly assessed and help is fully provided to everyone to levels that are beyond amazingly insightful and helpful. Wifi is not even possible on that game and a single server or frame stutter would actually cause them to investigate it and very likely provide compensation if it were to ever happen. Being on either their US, EU or Aus server is not at all noticable to anyone unless people check after the race. We really try to spot the difference and we can only guess. We end up on a server that majority of the drivers are closest to. The skew and netcode makes it seem like we are all playing with no latency issues at all, literally. Even for me with the well known horrible aussie latency we have. After i spent so much on a great graphics card and getting only roughly 25 FPS in dungeons or 15 fps in trials. It reduced my online time down to about 10% of what it was. Just enough to do some guild work basically. Otherwise a typical day is many hours of trying to play. Forum posts, testing, bug issues, laughable support, needing to create 4 entirely new guild halls because we all have to work out that stations would severely bug out on any platforms, barely existant official feedback. Zos will constatnly ask us to provide feedback and include as much info as they can. They say they read it all even if they don't reply. That is sooo wrong. How on earth or Nirn are we supposed to provide feedback or communication to ZoS when they almost never provide feedback or communication back to us. It's not hard to understand that communication only works only if it's given both ways. Being a gm is not that fun since it's kind of like being a player but with work duties to do. That is not even in the category of annoying like this games issues. Add in another 1001 bugs and play time is non existant even when dealing with eso stuff all day, every day. Skills are still broken on any furnishing and unlikely to be ever fixed based on limitations in the software. RiP all the duelling arenas people created. The 1st is usually broken and following houses that actually work if they bother again doing all that work, have no furnishings placed in the combat area at all. Playing on triple screen i visually get to see just 1 of the many memory leaks this game has. Imagine about 3 mirrors attached to our characters chest and it reflects sunlight on to the ground in front of the character always in outdoor daylight. Lighting reflections just like that are very impactful for FPS in games that want to have a feature doing exactly that type of thing. The amount of combined issues relating to FPS in this game makes it hard to even diagnose what issue is causing what. And this is all on systems i will guarantee have no hardware or connection issues inside my own country. Very limited feedback. Very little change over many years. My best guess is that we will see somewhere between very little to no FPS improvements in many years from now. My only option is to pay a fortune to upgrade my good 3 year old CPU/Motherboard after already buying my Vega64 graphics card due to my old one dying a couple weeks back. All to mainly get better FPS in just eso as other games are usually well past the point of my refresh rate even on triple screen. Or i keep waiting even more years with the hope i have now lost since the games launch. That optimisations and bug fixes will be done in this game. Like many other players, we were all expecting maybe in 2 or 3 years after the games launch that all problems will be fixed. Now 5 years later and patches just create even more conflicts at this point. Maybe i could return to playing instead of eso issues as i would like to in about 10 years perhaps when AI can remake entire games on new engines, bug free, optimised, balanced, etc, lol. That's actually my best hope. Me logging in is largely due to me wanting to keep my strong social guild since beta staying strong as it is. I haven't even looked to see if i won my usual trader after the trader flip yet. I only Bring up the gm stuff because of all these issues. I play less because of it. And they don't get as many good things as they would if i were online as much as i was when i could tollerate all this mess. Many of them to also leave the game and i know many were due to issues relating to the game. 1 in 100 leave my guild. 99 in 100 leave the game

I have been spending a fair amount of time finding out benchmarking results from as many players as i can while also being in as identical situations each time as possible. I basically meet at a city centre point like a wayshine and ask other players what CPU, GPU type and GPU load are, graphics/resolution settings they play at. And by doing a large amount over many years. The horrible numbers of FPS many will get and GPU load they will see i predict fairly spot on now. That also allows me to assess whether they have a much more rarer issue of something hardware, software or connection issues related. Or its eso and out of our control

For eso specs, i would recommend no less then an i7 8800CPU and a 1060 GPU is plenty. Outside of eso in all games bar only 2 cases of horribly made games that i have ever heard of and they did not last long. And were made about 10 years a go. Games that could not even provide 98% GPU utilisation for the majority. Generally I would roughly recommend a 7900 CPU and the better the graphics card the better the FPS will be. As we all usually would expect. Max settings and latest AAA titles to. More powerful CPU's will help a little only. The best on the market will still get enough info for it to provide full utilisation. Each game will vary on the CPU requirement it needs. Especially online games that vary so much with different amounts of online players near by and likely spamming. I am also blatantly saying that the recommended CPU specs for this game provided officially are VERY wrong. That is easy to prove since my way above recommended spec i7 6700 with expected FPS as many others get will show bottlenecking even in housing because it is so bad. 30% GPU load in any City not even doing anything is stupidly low. If they can utilise our graphics cards as ALL games really should be expected to. Our FPS could go from 40 to 100 in this game on our current CPU's sold commonly only a few years back. A time way after the game was launched i might add. VR would want the best CPU and GPU available. A game of this nature should run at the recommended specs at full 100 FPS if it was optimised to roughly the level of 99% of games to have ever existed. I personally will likely upgrade my CPU/motherboard in many months from now but when i do. I'm probably going to be doing sim racing in VR at high settings and good 90 FPS solid. I am not spending that kind of crazy money for eso FPS improvements and stilll need to deal with the 1001 other issues. Like most people, I play games for fun, not frustration 95%+ of the time on a game i would love to keep playing constantly if there were no issues. If ZoS made 1 person like me happy and not ever seen bugs as i have always had in all other online games over many decades. They would have 99% of people very happy instead of 99% very annoyed. Ya can't please everyone but 1% happy players is far worse then 99% happy ones. Remove 90% of the problems and the population of this game would be a world leader many years back. They got a game with potential for that it. 11 million players a few years back was announced. No more announcements since. Then we are supposed to believe population is higher ever from them bragging about their best game of the year awards last year. pfft Trade guilds sell about 10% of what they once did in top locations. Banks would have about 15 players always at them. Now i hardly see other players at the same banks. The amount of players leaving game has drastically increased over a couple years.

I would love to be proven wrong on my main points. Even my own experience would be far better if that could be done. Support tried and is almost to hard to believe how bad the responses i got were. I have tried and checked well beyond reasonable amounts. I figure if overall FPS is increased by such massive amounts with things like multicore improvements. Just reeeeeally hard to do and not have issues and improving it is realistically never ending. Then improving that would result in FPS drops improving greatly. Similar to owning a 9900k overclocked. Who cares if the FPS is halved when its capable of delivering a theoretical amount in eso of 200 FPS to a capable graphics card that can hold 100 FPS in all situations like a 970 roughly

The following link has some great official info for other players written by a dev when multicore support was added to PTS last year. Probably the best dev comment i have ever seen. But also not to hard to be the best because it's the only one i have ever seen with some useful and truthful info posted publicly. Would be great to get some follow up info on it after waiting all this time for further improvements and no one reporting seeing any FPS improvements in patches after it's initial implementation that i have ever seen. While mentioning they will improve it further in future patches

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5063953#Comment_5063953
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    I think of coming back. Has the problem been resolved?
  • Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭
    Ahmbor wrote: »

How about reading the recent Comments..
    Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RinaldoGandolphi I could be mistaken as I'm not sitting at my computer rn but I found disabling search indexer considerably reduces ram load.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    Ahmbor wrote: »

Hardly.

I just bought a gaming laptop (Acer Predator Helios 300), updated it fully including BIOS, it has very few apps installed as it's fresh, runs the following specs:
    Intel Core i7+ 8750H Coffee Lake
    17.3" LED 1920x1080 IPS ComfyView 144Hz
    RAM 24GB DDR4 + 16GB Intel Optane
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    HDD 1TB 7200

still every time I use a skill in a 1v1 I get about 0.5s lag. Frames drop anytime by just traversing the likes of Murkmire with barely any NPC in sight, which hints to the game not being optimised.
  • Eyran
    Eyran
    ✭✭
    Just want to add that I'm experiencing the same issue. FPS will always start out at 100 FPS (standard cap) but will start to drop over time. At the point it drops below 45 FPS I can't handle it anymore and have to login/logout. This always fixed it instantly.

I was able to "trigger" the bug in Stros M'kai. When standing at the crafting stations I would get 90 FPS watching in the direction of the Inn. Then by moving towards the inn, entering and exciting, moving back to the same spot at the crafting stations my FPS would suddenly be only 60 FPS. And again, relogging fixes it.

I wonder where those 30 FPS has gone in the span of just a minute. If I play the game "normal" . I notice the FPS drop only occurs after visiting the town of Port Hunding. As long as I stay in the surrounding areas my FPS stays normal. But after one visit to the town the bug appears
  • Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭
    With the upcoming Update 24 on Monday, there will also be significant Improvements concerning Memory Fragmentation/Management.

Unfortunately nobody talks about this in the last 4 Weeks for the PTS. Did anyone Test this out? Did it help?

Will I be able to Play Groupcontent longer than 20 minutes without being forced to Restart the whole Game because my Framerate got almost cut in half?
    All my hopes for future Performance Improvements are based on this problem.

Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    Keewo wrote: »
    With the upcoming Update 24 on Monday, there will also be significant Improvements concerning Memory Fragmentation/Management.

Unfortunately nobody talks about this in the last 4 Weeks for the PTS. Did anyone Test this out? Did it help?

Will I be able to Play Groupcontent longer than 20 minutes without being forced to Restart the whole Game because my Framerate got almost cut in half?
    All my hopes for future Performance Improvements are based on this problem.

Yeah, i'm interested too!
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never had this issue until today.

I played for 8+hours and frames drooped and keep going in and out.

I will test it again to day to see if the problems continues.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    any updates?
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you could try this, i went from a hard cap of 60fps to now running over 120fps pvp usually sits around 70-80 dropping to 40 in keeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuD-n5zIXoQ
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    you could try this, i went from a hard cap of 60fps to now running over 120fps pvp usually sits around 70-80 dropping to 40 in keeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuD-n5zIXoQ

read the thread, and you would know that your yt guide has nothing to with the "FPS drop" problem.
  • Lortie
    Lortie
    ✭✭✭
    DragonHold has made this issue even worse. The game is made unplayable after pvping for an hour (144fps to 19-25fps). I've spoken to many other people about this and it seems to be a quite widespread issue. It has something to do with the Memory overhaul.
    Lortie - StamSorc
    Velsei - StamCro
    Sidyl - StamDK
    https://imgur.com/a/5kexQVk - ESO at it's finest.
  • Lortie
    Lortie
    ✭✭✭
    Until ZoS realizes this is an issue players will just be forced to restart they're game every hour or play with sub 30fps no matter how good your comp is (RIP consoles, they have it much worse). Which can be a major issue depending on what activity your doing.
    Lortie - StamSorc
    Velsei - StamCro
    Sidyl - StamDK
    https://imgur.com/a/5kexQVk - ESO at it's finest.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if anyone here has posted this but ZOS has a pretty extensive plan for improving client side (FPS) performance most of all as well as some items focused on improving server performance by optomizing the way the server handles certain game events (mostly combat). This stuff is scheduled to take place starting with update 24 which is what ESO is currently on (the update included memory optimizations and phase 1 of 2 of reducing the load that combat put's on the server). These perf optimizations are scheduled to conclude in Q2 2020 with the release of update 26. You can read the tech details of what exactly they are doing to improve the performance of the ESO client as well as the server at the link below (things like making more of the engine including the renderer multi threaded and take better advantage of multiple CPU cores, changing the way assets are loaded in by improving multi threading for that as well etc). They also update this page monthly with status updates of each optimization they are working on and how progress is going for each.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on December 8, 2019 11:56AM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
This discussion has been closed.