Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People without Elsweyr are creating and playing with Necromancers

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    J2JMC wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Oh, fixing this is going to be ugly. If they delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then those people are going to be pissed. If they don't delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then people who bought Elsweyr primarily for the necromancer class are going to be pissed.

I'm not going to be mad at someone getting free access to the necromancer class if they didn't intentionally exploit. Good for them. ...

Is there any way to knowingly create a character class that you never purchased legitimate access to, and not be intentionally exploiting?
    like...are you taking the position that someone is going to meaningfully attempt to argue that they thought the new patch simply gave everyone access to the latest locked class just because ZOS is so generous?

People can definitely do that without it being an intentional exploit. Many people don't read up on changes to the game. For example, one day, some people didn't have access to BGs. Then, all of a sudden, they did.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, fixing this is going to be ugly. If they delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then those people are going to be pissed. If they don't delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then people who bought Elsweyr primarily for the necromancer class are going to be pissed.

Damn skippy but I can't wait for the " I withdrew 2 million gold on my Necro and you guys deleted it" Threads

The Great Necro Gold Sink of 2019
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to be mad at someone getting free access to the necromancer class if they didn't intentionally exploit. Good for them. ...

Is there any way to knowingly create a character class that you never purchased legitimate access to, and not be intentionally exploiting?
    like...are you taking the position that someone is going to meaningfully attempt to argue that they thought the new patch simply gave everyone access to the latest locked class just because ZOS is so generous?

The main thing I can imagine is a new player/player with no knowledge of Elsweyr or the game. They go to create a toon, and see an option for a necro among the classes, so they just pick that.

I also think there are people who would legit think ZOS just made the necro class part of the base game. In my experience, if there is a misunderstanding that can occur someone will misunderstand it.

Most people should realize this was a bug though
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

People can definitely do that without it being an intentional exploit. Many people don't read up on changes to the game. For example, one day, some people didn't have access to BGs. Then, all of a sudden, they did.

Yeah, and anyone who does so is not likely to make huge strides on their new character so long as ZOS gets on top of this

the only people that "should" be worried are those that discovered this error on the PTS, and decided to treat it like prepping a new build so they could jump on and exploit a locked character class up to a high enough level to whine when it gets deleted
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe now you might use the giant ad window we get when we log in for game information as well as crown store ads.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The main thing I can imagine is a new player/player with no knowledge of Elsweyr or the game. They go to create a toon, and see an option for a necro among the classes, so they just pick that.

I also think there are people who would legit think ZOS just made the necro class part of the base game. In my experience, if there is a misunderstanding that can occur someone will misunderstand it.

fortunately tho, in such circumstances of legitimately new players,
    ZOS is going to be able to see a newly created account accessing the class compared to a month+ account familiar with Elsweyr being locked accessing this class
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just checked on my 2 alt accounts. Steam doesn't seem to allow it at all. The non-Steam version allowed selection of Necro, but when I hit create, it said "invalid class." I'm thinking they did something server-side to stop it from happening.

Warden was still unavailable on my no-chapter non-Steam version.
  • J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would never take a position where the argument is based off of ZOS' generosity lol. I just don't consider creating the class in itself an exploit. Only the steps taken to get to the point of being able to create the class.

As far as I know people logged in, saw they could create the necromancer, and created one. I don't consider that exploiting as they were playing normally for all intents and purposes. Now, if there are specific steps being taken that don't fall into normal gameplay patterns (e.g., logging in and out 3 times within 10 seconds), then I would consider this an exploit.

And in a general sense, there are issues with gameplay design, performance, and monetization that are much higher on my list of things to be frustrated about. A couple of people accessing the necromancer class through a bug on ZOS' end just does not concern me in the slightest.

I will concede that I would be upset if ZOS decided to make Elsewyr a free update going forward because of this bug.
    Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    OUCH That is a sticky mess bug.

On the topic of deleting unauthorized necromancers- (if deleting) Will the inventory on those necros also get deleted?

There is nothing unauthorized about it. Someone in Zenimax said release it, and so it was release AUTHORIZED. Not our fault Zenimax just like Bethesda don't do any QA or listen to their QA team. Once released it is intended. If a mistake was made, then it shouldn't have been authorized for release.

So there is no unauthorized necromancers. They are all LEGAL since Zenimax authorized the release. Simple as that.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When Elsweyr launched, Summerset became DLC and therefore people with ESO+ suddenly got access to jewelry crafting, without it being advertised explicitly. Some were genuinely surprised why they could suddenly craft jewelry.
    It's free ESO+, Wrothgar event, and new patch, all today. Many people don't study the patch notes, don't read the blog articles carefully (or rather, not at all), or have no idea where to even find them. And those aren't exactly new players.
    For some reason, apparently necromancers became available. Players don't read manuals, so how are they supposed to find out it's a bug?
    Edited by Varana on August 12, 2019 6:30PM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would never take a position where the argument is based off of ZOS' generosity lol. I just don't consider creating the class in itself an exploit. Only the steps taken to get to the point of being able to create the class.

As far as I know people logged in, saw they could create the necromancer, and created one. I don't consider that exploiting as they were playing normally for all intents and purposes. Now, if there are specific steps being taken that don't fall into normal gameplay patterns (e.g., logging in and out 3 times within 10 seconds), then I would consider this an exploit.

And in a general sense, there are issues with gameplay design, performance, and monetization that are much higher on my list of things to be frustrated about. A couple of people accessing the necromancer class through a bug on ZOS' end just does not concern me in the slightest.

I will concede that I would be upset if ZOS decided to make Elsewyr a free update going forward because of this bug.

Well said. So much better than me. :)

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • bakermir
    bakermir
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

I just created and invested so much in my necromancer, I assumed this was free with new patch as a feature.
    EU PC SOTHA SIL/BAHLOKDAAN
    • DC * imperial stamdk/emperor magdk * twitch-bakermir
    • DC * breton magsorc * twitch bakermir
    • DC * orcerer * Tyro Tyro Tyro Tyro
    • DC * altmer bomblade * Brings-you-democracy

<REMOVE FACTION LOCK>
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So you would consider someone logging on after a new patch, going straight to character creator and selecting Necromancer, which they did not previously have access to,
    to be them playing normally?
    If this patch were specifically noted in advance for adding a newly accessible class for everyone and Necromancer happened to be unlocked at the same time, that would strike me as more believable

Cannot agree here,
    people exploiting flaws with gameplay design, performance, and monetization are among the reasons why those same topics are issues for me to be frustrated about
    people exploiting to create Necromancers while they are bugged mean increased likelihood of my gameplay facing additional downtime or potential server rollbacks in fixing it

ZOS making Elsweyr free for everyone else would bother me less than exploiters keeping exploited content tho, so clearly we have fairly different perceptions
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bakermir wrote: »
    What do you mean "bug"?

I just created and invested so much in my necromancer, I assumed this was free with new patch as a feature.

Let us know how that works out for you, 'kay?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    OUCH That is a sticky mess bug.

On the topic of deleting unauthorized necromancers- (if deleting) Will the inventory on those necros also get deleted?

There is nothing unauthorized about it. Someone in Zenimax said release it, and so it was release AUTHORIZED. Not our fault Zenimax just like Bethesda don't do any QA or listen to their QA team. Once released it is intended. If a mistake was made, then it shouldn't have been authorized for release.

So there is no unauthorized necromancers. They are all LEGAL since Zenimax authorized the release. Simple as that.

Not a chance, zos release faulty code they can do what they need to do to fix that code and revert back to original and intended state. Legality won’t come into it and it’s clearly an error. If they promoted it then changed their mind and deleted all the alts then you’d have a leg to stand on.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what ZOS does...

Delete the toons and temp ban the accounts. Might seem severe but I'm not a fan of the "my exploiting is ZOS's fault" attitude.
    Yes temp banning players who are returning and havent played the game for awhile and don't know that necromancers are part of paid content. Smart.

Just to confirm, we won't be deleting the characters or banning accounts for this.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

fortunately tho, in such circumstances of legitimately new players,
    ZOS is going to be able to see a newly created account accessing the class compared to a month+ account familiar with Elsweyr being locked accessing this class

They might not do anything about the character created while it was available. Too much risk of frustrating new players.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

Exactly. We don't know if it was a given feature for free or not. I don't stalk ESO for every little thing they do or offer.

Also perfect example. Animation Cancelling. It's a bug turned into a feature. So how do we know this is not a feature? Zenimax never did say Animation Cancelling is a feature.

It's not the user fault if all they did was play the game normally. The onus is on Zenimax no matter what their non legal binding TOS and EULA says.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your definition doesnt change what players agreed to:

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/code-of-conduct

5.2 Users will not exploit any bug, or abuse any game system (such as the scoring or award systems) in a ZeniMax Game, Service, forum, or other games or services provided by ZeniMax. Users will not intentionally use or share any bug found within any ZeniMax Game, real or fictitious, regardless of whether or not it grants an unfair advantage. You will not directly or indirectly communicate the existence of any such bug to any other user of the ZeniMax Service (in game or on a ZeniMax service). Report bugs and exploits using the in-game portal or via http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/home.

Players, knowingly or not, were most certainly abusing a bug with ESO's game system.

You can make the same "playing normally" excuse for every exploit or bug players abuse.

"I was playing normally in IC when mobs were giving me 1 million exp each!"

"I was just making a new character and, wow, I can make the new necro class without having to pay for it!"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Delete the toons and temp ban the accounts. Might seem severe but I'm not a fan of the "my exploiting is ZOS's fault" attitude.
    Yes temp banning players who are returning and havent played the game for awhile and don't know that necromancers are part of paid content. Smart.

Just to confirm, we won't be deleting the characters or banning accounts for this.

Cool. ...and interesting.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

well, hopefully when you pay to unlock access to the class you will be able to continue on with your experience :)

locking access to characters for people who have not purchased at the very least?
    or is this going to be another example of you guys telling us that as long as we exploit fast and quiet it will be allowed going forward as it has been in the past?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On the one hand, I get it. It was ZOS' mistake, and its nice for the few people who might have possibly innocently thought Necros were free to have their character.

On the other hand, its disappointing, because honestly, there were lots of experienced players who should have known better and who just got away with exploiting a major bug.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not consider this an exploit.

I can create a Warden now on my account. Yet I never purchased Morrowind or purchased the skill line from the crown store. ZoS often links or adds additional options to new installments of the game so it's entirely reasonable for a player to assume that was the case here. Other possibilities: there is a free ESO plus trial going on currently so players may have thought it was part of the package. Or they simply didn't consider it at all - saw Necromancer available - and decided to give it a try.

So if I was ZoS I would be careful about how I responded to this one. If I was in charge of the company (which of course I'm not) I'd take responsibility for the mix up (I wouldn't blame my customers) and just make the Necromancer Class available to everyone at this point as penance for the goof. I'd then give those who purchased Elsweyr a worthy token of appreciation to mitigate any fall out. But then again: that's just how I would handle it.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

locking access to characters for people who have not purchased at the very least?
    or is this going to be another example of you guys telling us that as long as we exploit fast and quiet it will be allowed going forward as it has been in the past?

Well I guess you can say that. After all Zenimax is not Bethesda where they punish people for their own mistakes. You really want Zenimax to become like Betehsda?

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

On the one hand, I get it. It was ZOS' mistake, and its nice for the few people who might have possibly innocently thought Necros were free to have their character.

On the other hand, its disappointing, because honestly, there were lots of experienced players who should have known better and who just got away with exploiting a major bug.

On the third hand, it reinforces that keeping my subscription active and supporting new chapters on release is redundant
    because a bit sketchy activity can make the game f2p
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, it really doesn't matter what the people who created necromancers without owning Elsweyr think. It's in the TOS to not "Promote, upload, transmit, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or Virtual Currency or virtual items. In an effort to continuously improve the Services, You and other players discovering exploits, cheats, cracks or other inconsistencies are required to report them to ZeniMax; "

ZOS is 100% within their legal rights to delete those characters
    Oh I agree, but I also guarantee that if they do that people who created unauthorized necromancers are going to be mad anyway. Especially if they bought crown store upgrades for those necromancers, or inventory upgrades, etc.

They should know better, but that doesn't mean that people will actually take responsibility for doing something that they should have known not to do.

Also, they could have acted in good faith, not even knowing they were exploiting a bug. You happen to create a new character, see necromancer available, use it, and are like "hey, cool thanks ZOS".

Ignorance is not illegal, else we'd need a whole lot more prisons. That doesn't mean rules don't apply, though.There is a legal saying where I live that roughly translates as "even if you do not know the law, the law still applies to you", meaning you can't use "but I didn't know" as a defense in a court.

On the other hand, intention is also a major factor in ruling a case. There is a HUGE difference between "I punched this guy because he insulted me, but I swear, your honor, I never, EVER thought he would die from a single punch !" and "It was my intention from the start to punch that guy to death, sucker hitting the bucket after one punch saved me some effort. of course, I'm assuming that those statement are true in both case, for the sake of argumentation.

This is going to be very interesting.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

well, hopefully when you pay to unlock access to the class you will be able to continue on with your experience :)

Welcome to the real world where answers aren't black and white or perfect. The best solution is to let people keep their characters because every day there are new players and every day people create new characters. A lot of people play the game. Why would a new player to the game know all the classes that are supposed to be available? It is far more important to not frustrate the people who didn't know any better than to penalize those who jump on to exploit.

You are choosing to only consider the impact on encouraging exploiters. That is only one consideration. Especially for something like this that is so easy to do without realizing it is an exploit. Isn't it a free ESO+ trial? As far as they know, it is part of the trial, just like access to DLC skill line--which you get to keep after the trial is over.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is this sanctioned until they fix it? I have an account without Elswey (yet) that can benefit from this.... what to do....
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    I would not consider this an exploit.

I can create a Warden now on my account. Yet I never purchased Morrowind or purchased the skill line from the crown store. ...

May have missed it, but did ZOS add Warden to the main game
    or is this your way of saying that the bug extends to both of the purchasable classes?

Warden is still showing as a purchased Class upgrade when viewing the Crown Shop from here
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is this sanctioned until they fix it? I have an account without Elswey (yet) that can benefit from this.... what to do....

Seems like the green light is given.