Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we just make summons illegal already? A rant about bears blocking stuff

msalvia
msalvia
✭✭✭✭
So anyone who crafts knows about this...that warden with a bear blocking craft stations, writ boxes, etc. Just make it illegal. The precedent is set with necros, but it makes perfect sense of all kinds of summoning to be illegal in game, causing a guard to cap that afk warden whose bear is griefing a whole zone of crafters.

In Skyrim it was pretty clear that conjuration magic is frowned upon, so there's a perfect lore reason to make sorc pets illegal. I mean, wouldn't citizens be a little concerned about daedra all over the place? And for Wardens, this may not be dark magic, but it's still a bear in a town. That has to violate some kind of public ordinance.

It's such an easy fix to a stupid problem, and the Necro pets being illegal paves the way.

Or just force an auto-unsummon in craft areas. Or allow players to kill pets, pvp style. Or just do something technical to stop bears from acting like a wall between you and the thing you need to use. This can't be that hard. And we clearly can't leave it up to the decency of the player base.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it. During the Anniversary Event when everyone and their mother was turning in crafting writs for two weeks, I did my writs with 8 characters in Alinor and then Vivec City, two popular locations. I paid attention to pets, simply because I wanted to see if they were as annoying as people said.

The three times someone's pet blocked the turn in boxes, I only had to take a couple steps to the side to turn in my writs. Frankly, the NPC lounging in the middle of the crafting boxes in Vivec was more annoying than any pet.

Also, make it clearer how to desummon your pets. I was high level before I realized I could dismiss them by clicking the buff in the character menu. I'd been manually removing them from my skill bar :lol:
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 28, 2019 1:13AM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need an option to deal with them in some way.

1. Make summons an illegal act
    2. Make them disappear in cities
    3. Make them personally invisible to me as an option
    4. Give me a way to aggressively unsummon them. Perhaps a memento of unsummoning that poofs them out of existence until summoned again.

This is a real and actual problem that exists. We need a way to get pets out of the way other than making a call out in zone chat to mass report someone until the system auto times them out. That should not be the go to option to shuffle a pet out of the way so we can properly interact with the game world. Ideally, players would put them away themselves as a courtesy, but that is an impossible dream to realize on a game wide scale.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pffffft!! Nobody has their bears out in crafting areas :p

9ti7dPo.png
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have had my own bear block myself at times.

But forcibly unsommoning them would be like unequipping a weapon in town (due to the time it takes to respawn the bear/pets.

Pathing them better would solve the problem. Make them act more like the banker in town (who usually hides when I am trying to select him) and they would not be a problem in most cases.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did have to ask someone to move their bear once. The bear was completely covering the anvil at the smithing station.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All summons should either be desummoned in major cities or given the necro treatment, a bounty

Major cities are already laggy with all the people and pets blocking stations and writ turns in and taking my frames just adds to the problem
  • troomar
    troomar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want a skin in Crown Store that would change my scamp to a daedroth (and the pulse skill would change to the fire breath).
    Yes.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    All summons should either be desummoned in major cities or given the necro treatment, a bounty

Major cities are already laggy with all the people and pets blocking stations and writ turns in and taking my frames just adds to the problem

You do know that at least one major city, Daggerfall, has quests that require combat in it, right? Now that I think about it, so do Orsinium, Davon's Watch, Vulkhel Guard, Anvil, Vivec, etc.

Plus with the Justice System and dueling, there's always the potential for combat.

City Guard: "I'm sorry, I realize you just got ambushed by Bloodthorn assassins, but no, you can't summon your twilight matriarch to heal your stab wounds. Wardens, no bear maulings allowed within city limits!"

Warden: "My bear has been here for the last two years."

Sorc: "Two years? My Matriarch's been here since launch!"

Guard: "Its a new city ordinance."

Warden: "There's an effing werewolf mauling people in your city, and you are worried about my bear?!"

Sorc: "You know, I think maybe the Bloodthorn have the right idea about doing away with the King..."
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I agree. All summons should be made illegal in cities. Including non combat pets too.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup I agree. All summons should be made illegal in cities. Including non combat pets too.

I think you missed what @VaranisArano said directly above you.

There are quests in cities that involve combat ... the one that immediately comes to mind is the quest in the Evermore alleyway.

Asking a Pet Sorc to mandatorily unsummon their bread and butter in town ... that just isn’t going to work.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Pffffft!! Nobody has their bears out in crafting areas :p

9ti7dPo.png

That looks like Alinor. They're less of a problem in a big area like that. Get them in a smaller environment, like say the blacksmith at Daggerfall, and pets can be a nightmare. The worst one for me though was a bear completely blocking me from accessing Kari in the Hew's Bane thieves den. It took me ten minutes of whispering and jumping around to get the idiot's attention.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine complaining about this lmao
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Imagine complaining about this lmao

Oh I can, easily. I stopped playing petsorc because I constantly got annoyed at my own pet getting in my way I just unslotted and went with a different build.
    Forcible unsummoning isn't the answer though imo, but maybe give pet runners an easy way of unsumoning them? I nevereven realized you could apart from removing the ability from the bar, which is clunky. The other means, via character menu, is counter intuitive and clunky too. Easy hot key unsummon might lessen the problem.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. I was thinking of starting my own actually.

Not only bears, but clannfear and especially twilight matriarchs get in my way constantly while crafting, farming containers, and thieving. Sorc “thieves” with both twilight matriarch and clannfear out while stealing in houses in Rimmen keep me from doing my stealing because I can’t interact with anything with them around. The matriarchs are a line-of-sight problem when trying to interact with NPCs in towns. They are so freaking huge.

I have a volatile familiar with my sorc, but he’s not much of a problem, still - I’d like to see all combat pets removed from the game and builds be changed to be viable without them just for this very reason. People are either inconsiderate or ignorant of what a nuisance they are for other players.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will repeat it again. The game (ESO) can solve this mostly with just a bit better pathing for the bear/pets. Make them be repelled by quest givers and workstations and the problem is solved without breaking the game for many.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see this as a problem. Just move to the side and click the box to turn in your writs. We are all playing a MMO. Sometimes you have to work around the other players. Like when they get to the resource node 1 second ahead of you. Or when they leave a junk item in the container, while taking only the valuable stuff.

:)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started thinking people did it on purpose, but I have realized it is an ESO flaw that they should fix when my own bear has blocked me multiple times. My matriarch does it at times too, but the bear is the worst about it.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you missed what @VaranisArano said directly above you.

There are quests in cities that involve combat ... the one that immediately comes to mind is the quest in the Evermore alleyway.

Asking a Pet Sorc to mandatorily unsummon their bread and butter in town ... that just isn’t going to work.

If a player (even a brand new player) can't win those fights without their combat pets, they have a SERIOUS learn to play issue and that will be an excellent opportunity to learn an alternate strategy for those extremely easy fights that just don't occur all that often in cities. Not all skills are appropriate for all situations and it is a lesson to be learned.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jim_1 wrote: »
    I don't see this as a problem. Just move to the side and click the box to turn in your writs. We are all playing a MMO. Sometimes you have to work around the other players. Like when they get to the resource node 1 second ahead of you. Or when they leave a junk item in the container, while taking only the valuable stuff.

:)

What if 12 coordinated players decided to all stack bears in one spot? What if that spot happens to be a necessary quest turn in location? This is something that could happen. Maybe next anniversary, 12 bears stack on top of the cake baker and shut down the event indefinitely or until ZOS resets the servers. This problem is real and ZOS needs to work some sort of solution before a situation like the one I mention above happens.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a player (even a brand new player) can't win those fights without their combat pets, they have a SERIOUS learn to play issue and that will be an excellent opportunity to learn an alternate strategy for those extremely easy fights that just don't occur all that often in cities. Not all skills are appropriate for all situations and it is a lesson to be learned.

I agree that most of those fights are easy.

But at the same time, you’re asking for a blanket ban on someone’s playstyle ... for your convenience only.

Do you see where this is going?
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah something definitely needs to happen with this. Nobody needs their damn pets summoned in the crafting areas.Period.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that most of those fights are easy.

But at the same time, you’re asking for a blanket ban on someone’s playstyle ... for your convenience only.

Do you see where this is going?

I propose a number of solutions. Yes, I personally agree with a ban, but there are other options including just making them invisible to other players in cities or making them much smaller in the case of matriarch, which for some reason grow larger and more annoying when morphed.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't that the pets block the crafting stations. The problem is that the pets block everything, and have a tendency to get between the camera and the object of interest.

The bear is particularly annoying because he teleports to you, but flappy twilight wings are also a challenge.

In my mind, the answer is not to fix pets around crafting stations, but to fix the whole problem of pets getting between the camera and the object.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't that the pets block the crafting stations. The problem is that the pets block everything, and have a tendency to get between the camera and the object of interest.

The bear is particularly annoying because he teleports to you, but flappy twilight wings are also a challenge.

In my mind, the answer is not to fix pets around crafting stations, but to fix the whole problem of pets getting between the camera and the object.

That solution works for the caster, which is a step in the right direction, but it won't stop trolls and ignorant players from placing their pets in annoying places for other players.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That solution works for the caster, which is a step in the right direction, but it won't stop trolls and ignorant players from placing their pets in annoying places for other players.

I never gave a solution. How they solve the problem is up to ZOS, not us. The problem is that the pet gets between the camera and the object, making the object unselectable. It does not matter whether the pets are yours or not. The answer they have to come up with should cover the whole problem.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 28, 2019 9:52PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another example of people crying about the stupidest of things that should be the least of any worries.

This game community makes me smdh.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn’t they make it so that player AoE visuals and whatnot were invisible to all but the caster at some point to try and cut down on lag, especially in trials if I recall?

Friendly players’ pets could be treated the same way. Obviously they would need to be visible in PvP situations, but there is literally no reason I need to see a non-hostile player’s pets.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another example of people crying about the stupidest of things that should be the least of any worries.

This game community makes me smdh.

Let me know if you're on PC/NA. I'll grab 23 friends with 2 pets each and follow you around for a while if you think this can't be an issue.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if 12 coordinated players decided to all stack bears in one spot? What if that spot happens to be a necessary quest turn in location? This is something that could happen. Maybe next anniversary, 12 bears stack on top of the cake baker and shut down the event indefinitely or until ZOS resets the servers. This problem is real and ZOS needs to work some sort of solution before a situation like the one I mention above happens.

I have never seen that happen. And there are multiple locations for the cake baker, one in each zone, as I recall.

Anyway, I do crafting writs every day, in either Vvardenfell, Deshaan, Elsweyr, Alinor - different places because my crafter is also my Magplar main. And I have never had problems because of pets either doing the crafting writs or turning them in in any of those places. I'm genuinely curious. How is it I never have this problem on PS4 / NA?