The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Revert Faction Locks. We've Been Through This Already

• bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    The fact that you can change faction every 30days does not change the fact that alot of players who play EP have at least 6-7 EP characters that they would be unable to play anymore by doing an effort to create some balance.
    Not sure I understand this. It is not a character lock, it is a faction lock. If you enter as EP, you can use any of your EP characters for the duration.

Someone needs to explain to me why the numbers are so skewed in favour of EP, though. Is it just kids who grew up playing Skyrim?

Edited by bulbousb16_ESO on May 23, 2019 8:40PM
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that you can change faction every 30days does not change the fact that alot of players who play EP have at least 6-7 EP characters that they would be unable to play anymore by doing an effort to create some balance.

Someone needs to explain to me why the numbers are so skewed in favour of EP, though. Is it just kids who grew up playing Skyrim?

That has been the long standing assumption. EP's larger population was one reason people asked for unlocked factions before zos implemented no lock in campaigns. This was not much of an issue when we had a bunch of pvpers, but when the pvp population declined (mainly due to performance issues) it became a larger issue. We will see how locks play out now, but I believe we will see similar results to before no locks were implemented (unbalanced campaigns which began the degradation of people caring about campaign score).
    Edited by TBois on May 23, 2019 8:58PM
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »
    Personally I believe that they should have reworked the CP system before introducing faction locks.

The main goal is to condense our PvP population as much as possible in a minimal amount of campaign to get a fair competition during primetime. Fixing the CP system would mean that we could go with one 30 days with faction locks enabled and another 30 days campaign without locks. I think this would go a long way.

In the meantime, I like the following suggestion from @MipMip :
    - locks that prevent switching to the faction that dominates the map but allow switching to the weaker factions (scoreboard)

You can change at the end of the campaign, is it so hard to stay and fight with your friends for one damn campaign ?... people gamed the system, so sorry no fun allowed !

About your proposed idea, so lets asume EP is winning, so the "loons" jump to the loosing side, that was AD, now they make AD winners, and jump to DC, and then they make them the winners, and jump back to EP, so not to burst your bubble, but isnt faction locks ment to stop just that ?...

Regarding your second paragraph, I don't believe that a few groups of people willing to help the underdog would drastically change the scoreboard and put a faction in the winning spot. At least not from what I have seen the past few months.

I have been part of a guild who used to help AD once a week and from what I understood, people were only playing AD because EP was way ahead on the scoreboard. They would not have risked to have their main faction lose.

With the suggestion from @MipMip , it creates some more challenging fights on the map and attempt to counter the massive influx of people who used to play AD or DC and who will now main EP for the victory.

Believe it or not, alot of casual people want to get those rewards.

This being said, you entirely ignored my first solution which was to fix the cp system first, and then release two 30 days campaigns, one with faction locks and one without which would make the previous discussion worthless.

As i am pointing out, it also creates possibility to game the system, again i and alot of people dont want faction hoppers, enough is enough... you guys could have argued to stop the stupid long ago, but you dident, and here we are...

Can i ask you, why dident you speak up before, or come with ideas to stop the faction hopping before ?... I have stood by my faction in thick and thin, and like many others i anoys the *** out of me, when suddenly half your pop magically disapear to bandwagon to the "winning sides" then DC takes the west side, and EP the east side, it was done like clock work for months upon months...

So yea no... i rather know my enemy and fight them and loose, then just get frustrated, not knowing when people on my side are suddenly like magic be my enemy...

The pop will be split, couse we are alot that dont want to play with faction hoppers, i rather play on a small server with faction locks, even if its deserted, then endure the madness that been, enough is enough...

you guys want to treat cyrodil like some battle ground, where you can hop around as you like, isnt that what battle ground is for ?, small scale, git good, ask ZOS for alternative ones, i dont care... but leave my fation locks alone !

And again, we been in this situation, it fixed itself with faction locks... i was there when it did, in the beginning, when AD painted the map yellow... you dont need faction hopping during a campaign to fix it... you know it, i know it, and ZOS know it, and i have history proving my point
    Edited by Miriel on May 23, 2019 9:19PM
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    We took Brindle last night with about 50 EP in the middle of prime time with emp. The vision is becoming a reality.
    Nah... it's just a protest against faction lock. It won't last.

LOL ITS THE PLAYERS FAULT NOW
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBois wrote: »

That has been the long standing assumption. EP's larger population was one reason people asked for unlocked factions before zos implemented no lock in campaigns. This was not much of an issue when we had a bunch of pvpers, but when the pvp population declined (mainly due to performance issues) it became a larger issue. We will see how locks play out now, but I believe we will see similar results to before no locks were implemented (unbalanced campaigns which began the degradation of people caring about campaign score).

That people left couse of locked servers isnt anthing you can prove ?, or do you have numbers ?... In my opinion, when you look at when the decline happened, it actually started with ZOS allowing faction hopping...
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That people left couse of locked servers isnt anthing you can prove ?, or do you have numbers ?... In my opinion, when you look at when the decline happened, it actually started with ZOS allowing faction hopping...

No, the decline happened because of lag and a hundred unfixed bugs. You can have a search through the forums for the countless posts that support this.
    Options
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please read more carefully. I said people left due to performance issues.

PC/NA

Youtube
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

No, the decline happened because of lag and a hundred unfixed bugs. You can have a search through the forums for the countless posts that support this.

you mean like the countless of threads where people for years have pleaded to atleast bring back ONE locked campaign... if you point to one thing as a source based on forum popularity, its fairly naive of you to not thinking this is also a issue...
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

i know people that stopped playing couse of faction hopping...
    Options
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know people who have stopped playing due to faction lock...

Are you purposefully sabotaging yourself to undermine your previous arguments?

PC/NA

Youtube
    Options
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    We took Brindle last night with about 50 EP in the middle of prime time with emp. The vision is becoming a reality.
    Nah... it's just a protest against faction lock. It won't last.

LOL ITS THE PLAYERS FAULT NOW

Besides the technical issues, technically all of it is in some way the fault of players. Trolling scrolls, forward camps, siege, emp swapping, all of it is the fault of players ;)
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

you mean like the countless of threads where people for years have pleaded to atleast bring back ONE locked campaign... if you point to one thing as a source based on forum popularity, its fairly naive of you to not thinking this is also a issue...

I give up. I actually give up.
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I understand this. It is not a character lock, it is a faction lock. If you enter as EP, you can use any of your EP characters for the duration.

ZOS published the numbers I think last year.
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most popular Alliance: Ebonheart Pact (36.33% of all characters)
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

More like the hundreds of threads about performance and bugs in pvp that have zero response from ZOS. Players see ZOS doesn’t care about pvp so they left. You’re literally autistic
    Edited by Haashhtaag on May 24, 2019 12:12AM
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. Now the discussion will get more rational.
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    Wow. Is that accurate? If so, it's a very small lead over the other factions, and doesn't explain why they would have such a sizeable lead. Lends great credibility to my suggestion that what we are seeing now is just a protest...

Lethal zergling
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

More like the hundreds of threads about performance and bugs in pvp that have zero response from ZOS. Players see ZOS doesn’t care about pvp so they left. You’re literally autistic

Not sure, what calling me autistic have to do with the topic. usually when people start with name calling, is a sure sign that they lost the argument...
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Is that accurate? If so, it's a very small lead over the other factions, and doesn't explain why they would have such a sizeable lead. Lends great credibility to my suggestion that what we are seeing now is just a protest...

pops is allways wonky after big patches, people want to do the new content
    Options
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    This being said, you entirely ignored my first solution which was to fix the cp system first, and then release two 30 days campaigns, one with faction locks and one without which would make the previous discussion worthless.

Agree so much. Then we wouldn't be having this discussion and players with different preferences could have their (populated, fun) campaigns.

Taking this thought one step further, I think it would be so great to have 30 day campaigns based on
    - guilds (where there are no factions, you fight for your guild)
    - factions
    Edited by MipMip on May 24, 2019 2:14AM
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
    Options
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I know people that stopped playing because of poor performance and bugs.

pops is allways wonky after big patches, people want to do the new content

Except for people who play red, apparently....
    Edited by Mr_Walker on May 24, 2019 2:26AM
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s round down to 36% and assume ad/dc are split at 32% each that’s 4%.

If those numbers are true and the player base is is 2.5 million recurring players according to an article I saw a year or two ago were looking at the following numbers.

900k EP
    800k AD
    800k DC

So 4% is roughly 100k difference which isn’t small at all.

Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100k is a big number, but let's think about 4% in terms of Cyrodiil population. It's negligible. So, why is it that we are often seeing more EP than the other two alliances combined?

Lethal zergling
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100k is a big number, but let's think about 4% in terms of Cyrodiil population. It's negligible. So, why is it that we are often seeing more EP than the other two alliances combined?

Because EP is the larger faction but the scaling is just smaller in pvp?
    Options
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s say there are 2500 active players in the main camp.

You’re looking at 100 player difference which is huge considering around the clock playtime and etc.
    Options
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let’s say there are 2500 active players in the main camp.

You’re looking at 100 player difference which is huge considering around the clock playtime and etc.

And exacerbated during off-peak, when the number of players in the most populated campaign can be as low as 20-30 people. So if even one guild who has a decent sized Oceanic population decide to play <X> colour, that population differential, % wise, blows out enormously.

And we all know campaigns are won (and lost) during off-peak....

I'm amazed these guys don't understand this. It's really some pretty basic quantitative analysis.

Edited by Mr_Walker on May 24, 2019 2:50AM
    Options
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s round down to 36% and assume ad/dc are split at 32% each that’s 4%.

If those numbers are true and the player base is is 2.5 million recurring players according to an article I saw a year or two ago were looking at the following numbers.

900k EP
    800k AD
    800k DC

After the first assumption, it is all just guessing.
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, that doesn't in any way explain why a 4% higher faction population translates to double the other alliances.

Lethal zergling
    Options
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, that doesn't in any way explain why a 4% higher faction population translates to double the other alliances.

It explains it fairly well actually plus on top of ep having a higher player count the larger AD and DC guilds who play off peak hours have not been playing in their full numbers letting ep dominate even more on NA maybe once people stop grinding the new zone cyro pops might return to somewhat normal
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J18696 wrote: »
    It explains it fairly well actually plus on top of ep having a higher player count the larger AD and DC guilds who play off peak hours have not been playing in their full numbers letting ep dominate even more on NA maybe once people stop grinding the new zone cyro pops might return to somewhat normal
    Ahhh, I see. So, AD and DC play off-peak hours, but EP plays primetime. Also, AD and DC are busy exploring the new content, but EP is not. Also, 4% = 50%. Righto!

Lethal zergling
    Options
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I believe that they should have reworked the CP system before introducing faction locks.

The main goal is to condense our PvP population as much as possible in a minimal amount of campaign to get a fair competition during primetime. Fixing the CP system would mean that we could go with one 30 days with faction locks enabled and another 30 days campaign without locks. I think this would go a long way.

In the meantime, I like the following suggestion from @MipMip :
    - locks that prevent switching to the faction that dominates the map but allow switching to the weaker factions (scoreboard)

You can change at the end of the campaign, is it so hard to stay and fight with your friends for one damn campaign ?... people gamed the system, so sorry no fun allowed !

About your proposed idea, so lets asume EP is winning, so the "loons" jump to the loosing side, that was AD, now they make AD winners, and jump to DC, and then they make them the winners, and jump back to EP, so not to burst your bubble, but isnt faction locks ment to stop just that ?...

Regarding your second paragraph, I don't believe that a few groups of people willing to help the underdog would drastically change the scoreboard and put a faction in the winning spot. At least not from what I have seen the past few months.

I have been part of a guild who used to help AD once a week and from what I understood, people were only playing AD because EP was way ahead on the scoreboard. They would not have risked to have their main faction lose.

With the suggestion from @MipMip , it creates some more challenging fights on the map and attempt to counter the massive influx of people who used to play AD or DC and who will now main EP for the victory.

Believe it or not, alot of casual people want to get those rewards.

As i am pointing out, it also creates possibility to game the system, again i and alot of people dont want faction hoppers, enough is enough... you guys could have argued to stop the stupid long ago, but you dident, and here we are...

Can i ask you, why dident you speak up before, or come with ideas to stop the faction hopping before ?... I have stood by my faction in thick and thin, and like many others i anoys the *** out of me, when suddenly half your pop magically disapear to bandwagon to the "winning sides" then DC takes the west side, and EP the east side, it was done like clock work for months upon months...

So yea no... i rather know my enemy and fight them and loose, then just get frustrated, not knowing when people on my side are suddenly like magic be my enemy...

The pop will be split, couse we are alot that dont want to play with faction hoppers, i rather play on a small server with faction locks, even if its deserted, then endure the madness that been, enough is enough...

you guys want to treat cyrodil like some battle ground, where you can hop around as you like, isnt that what battle ground is for ?, small scale, git good, ask ZOS for alternative ones, i dont care... but leave my fation locks alone !

And again, we been in this situation, it fixed itself with faction locks... i was there when it did, in the beginning, when AD painted the map yellow... you dont need faction hopping during a campaign to fix it... you know it, i know it, and ZOS know it, and i have history proving my point

Probably because he doesn't play on the EU mega server and we don't have these shenanigans occurring on PC NA. Faction hopping on PC NA was done for the most part to balance the servers, help the lower pop faction and find good fights and certainly not something that needed fixing on the megaserver we're on. I'm not sure where the disconnect is with you understanding that player behaviors differ from megaserver and platform. There were better solutions out there that would have fixed the issues you guys are having. Instead we got a lazy half baked fix that really isn't going to address much of anything and strips the ability of players to try and balance server populations.

I wouldn't mind faction locks if ZOS could be bothered to put some friggin effort into things such as population balancing mechanics and fixing performance so that the pvp population could recover but that just isn't going to happen cause mount reskins and reasons. Unlike you, not everyone is ok playing on a dead server.
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
    Options