The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Revert Faction Locks. We've Been Through This Already

• ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    :# 7 days are dead - who could have predicted this?????? :open_mouth:
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
    Options
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ks888 wrote: »
    :# 7 days are dead - who could have predicted this?????? :open_mouth:

It's dead because people will go to whatever side is populated, not because anyone likes the lock. I simply don't play except when I want to troll. Faction locks really helped me see the light.

That, and the terrible balancing they did this patch.
    Options
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 Day is dead because the people who claim to hate faction lock are STILL swarming to the locked campaigns.
    Make 7 day great again, go hop around factions to your hearts content there.
    Oh wait....you don't want to fight other hoppers? That's a shame, I guess you are stuck with the scenario we have now.

"We want to play with Friennnnnds" take your friends to the 7 Day
    "The 7 day is empty" Go fill it with your Friennnnds
    "We don't care about the score" then go to the 7 Day campaign
    "We don't care about rewards" then go to the 7 Day campaign
    "We just want to find good fights" - go find them on the 7 Day.....with your Friends
    Edited by dtsharples on June 1, 2019 1:26PM
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock is great, anyone who wants to skyshard hunt with different factions and faction hop... the 7 day server is still there for your guild PVE needs.
    Options
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    Locked or Unlocked and which is "better" can probably be lifted from the equation and argued separately.
    "What do I do about friends I made on other factions?", while likely the worst aspect of FactionLock2.0, can also even be argued separately.

For any player who mistakenly took ZeniMax Online Studios at their word, that people could "Player Their Way", a serious problem has been created. ZOS created this problem for those players by themselves and should have provided at least a partial solution to that problem with the launch of Elsweyr. That partial solution to at least take a little of the sting out...
    Faction Change.

AvA was locked at launch, then unlocked (for a long time), and is now locked again.
    Any player (paying customer) who created characters (and made friends on other alliances, but I digress) during the unlocked period are now, essentially, being told to "stuff it".
    The options you now have before you are to...
    1) Delete characters and re-create all of them on one faction (and forget about the friends you made on any other faction - wait, sorry again for the digression).
    or
    2) Simply quit playing (at least in Cyrodiil AvA).

No rational being, player or ZOS employee alike, could truly view either of these as viable "options". But, since not even so much as a "Faction Change" path has been offered (to the contrary, it has again already been shot down) or even placed on the table as a future possibility... Yes, they're literally you're only two choices. Other products and entire companies have been burned for less. Personally, I'm hoping that at least this one viable option is offered very soon.
    Edited by Yirmeyahu on June 1, 2019 7:51PM
    Options
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    dtsharples wrote: »
    7 Day is dead because the people who claim to hate faction lock are STILL swarming to the locked campaigns.
    Make 7 day great again, go hop around factions to your hearts content there.
    Oh wait....you don't want to fight other hoppers? That's a shame, I guess you are stuck with the scenario we have now.

"We want to play with Friennnnnds" take your friends to the 7 Day
    "The 7 day is empty" Go fill it with your Friennnnds
    "We don't care about the score" then go to the 7 Day campaign
    "We don't care about rewards" then go to the 7 Day campaign
    "We just want to find good fights" - go find them on the 7 Day.....with your Friends

Since none of the regular players I see in Cyrodiil zone on a daily basis actually support now, or ever supported (wanted), alliances being re-locked after all of this time... Why is it not you, and the handful of people that do appreciate it, that moves to the 7 day campaign? They can be locked and the 30s unlocked. Everyone is then happy, right?
    Please lead by example and... #Make7DayGreatAgain
    Edited by Yirmeyahu on June 1, 2019 7:53PM
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the people against faction lock by not being able to play with friends is a personal problem. Its not hard to create a character in their friends faction and level him to 50 (thank god we dont have to level CP) to be able to play with them.

You don't want to do that? tough then, don't complain about faction lock.
    Options
  • Yirmeyahu
    Yirmeyahu
    ✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    Honestly the people against faction lock by not being able to play with friends is a personal problem. Its not hard to create a character in their friends faction and level him to 50 (thank god we dont have to level CP) to be able to play with them.

Because math.
    It is not mathematically possible to have both a stamina and magicka variant of all 6 classes on all 3 factions. (Not even on only 2 factions, for that matter.) For someone that enjoys playing all classes, and both specs of each, what you're proposing is not a viable solution. In fact, it only demonstrated more lack of understanding of one of the issues at hand. Furthermore, the aggressive tone you take in the proposal is the sort of thing that tends to get discussions closed and isn't needed or appreciated.
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yirmeyahu wrote: »

Because math.
    It is not mathematically possible to have both a stamina and magicka variant of all 6 classes on all 3 factions. (Not even on only 2 factions, for that matter.) For someone that enjoys playing all classes, and both specs of each, what you're proposing is not a viable solution. In fact, it only demonstrated more lack of understanding of one of the issues at hand. Furthermore, the aggressive tone you take in the proposal is the sort of thing that tends to get discussions closed and isn't needed or appreciated.

Once again this is a PERSONAL problem, not an actual problem.
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because math.

No that's a fundamental game problem.
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

Because math.

the fact that for some people feel the need to have 2 of every class for each faction? no that is excessive and completely off the spectrum of even beginning to be a game breaking element in faction lock.
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because math.

the fact that for some people feel the need to have 2 of every class for each faction? no that is excessive and completely off the spectrum of even beginning to be a game breaking element in faction lock.

That's not excessive at all, it's a concept created by the devs and is allowed to happen. Just like 1T caters to all factions playing together in PVE...
    Options
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

Because math.

That's not excessive at all, it's a concept created by the devs and is allowed to happen. Just like 1T caters to all factions playing together in PVE...

You have a campaign where you can faction hop, problem solved
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because math.

the argument is bad, all you need is one character on the same faction as your friend to play with them in the faction locked campaign and the problem is solved. If you have the compulsive order to have 2 of every class in each faction then tell ZoS to add more character slots. This was never a complaint in Cyro before faction locked campaigns; it was an argument about character slots and has no legitimate baring on why faction locked campaigns are good or bad. If you want more slots that's a different issue entirely and not the problem of faction locked campaigns.

As was said before, there is a non locked campaign available for faction hopping and if its not popular? Then make it popular by being the first over there to play and more will follow.
    Edited by IronWooshu on June 2, 2019 12:52AM
    Options
  • Ankaridan
    Ankaridan
    ✭✭✭
    IronWooshu for Emperor.

You have my sword.
    Options
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »

Because math.

You have a campaign where you can faction hop, problem solved

55th time, no 7 day No CP Camp
    Options
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dtsharples because the other campaigns are dead so yeah I don't wanna PvDoor. I want people to fight. I came back after vaca and patch had been live for a week. What do you know - the 7 days were a ghost town. This is how dense the people calling for locks have been - we literally did this 3 years ago and it didn't work. This is deja vu, in a bad way.

Even when we could faction hop, the 7 days were dead outside of prime. At the HEIGHT of pops on 7 days and even back when we had 14 days - it was busy for a few hrs NA prime and that was it. The 7 days have been emp farming camps for about 2 years now. How was faction locks going to change this? No. Instead, everyone was faced with the decision to be in a busy campaign with no flexibility, or flexibility with no one to fight. That's a *** choice.

DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
    Options
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @IronWooshu we tried to make them popular 3 years ago when we had entire guilds moving over there - it's lasted 6 mos - and this was when we had tons of very competitive guilds that had bones to pick with one another. If we couldn't manage a strong and consistent pop then, what makes you think anyone is now? It's all hand-holding pvdoor zergs in cyro now. We have 1-2 competitive guilds on each faction in each prime time.

WE. HAVE. DONE. THIS. ALREADY.
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IronWooshu we tried to make them popular 3 years ago when we had entire guilds moving over there - it's lasted 6 mos - and this was when we had tons of very competitive guilds that had bones to pick with one another. If we couldn't manage a strong and consistent pop then, what makes you think anyone is now? It's all hand-holding pvdoor zergs in cyro now. We have 1-2 competitive guilds on each faction in each prime time.

Well then I don't know what to tell you, get use to playing faction lock campaign (the way PVP should be) until you can get it to work.

EDIT: There is more incentive now to make it work than there ever has been if people are that against faction lock campaigns.
    Edited by IronWooshu on June 2, 2019 6:07AM
    Options
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well then I don't know what to tell you, get use to playing faction lock campaign (the way PVP should be) until you can get it to work.

EDIT: There is more incentive now to make it work than there ever has been if people are that against faction lock campaigns.

lol at "The way pvp should be"
    Are you a developer for this game?
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no but I should be because apparently the developers and myself agree on something.
    Options
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no but I should be because apparently the developers and myself agree on something.

Your arrogant ignorance knows no bounds. Kudos

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no, what is ignorant is this petition to remove a feature that has been needed for years for your own selfish gain.

Players have wanted this, raw data collected from the devs showed that this mode needed this and to appease everyone made a non faction lock campaign and yet its not good enough for you.

THAT IS IGNORANCE.
    Options
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no, what is ignorant is this petition to remove a feature that has been needed for years for your own selfish gain.

Players have wanted this, raw data collected from the devs showed that this mode needed this and to appease everyone made a non faction lock campaign and yet its not good enough for you.

THAT IS IGNORANCE.

1. The game started with locks but they were removed by popular demand.
    2. People are entitled to voice their displeasure on the forums.
    3. My own selfish gain? Nice try! I've been ep since beta. Swapping between factions in the same campaign was a very rare event for me and would only happen when certain ep guilds were overwhelming the map.
    If I was 'selfish' I would have stayed on my ep to pick every poor pug off that came into range of their tri keeps for those easy dee ticks.
    4. 'Raw data' isn't what drove the locks to come back.
    5. You assume that the 7 day is an option for everyone. It isn't. There is no non cp unlocked 7 day and the non Prime population only has the numbers to fill one server (which has always been the longest running campaign since the very beginning.)

Might want to look up what ignorance means

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact

Aldmeri Dominion

Daggerfall Covernant
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

THAT IS IGNORANCE.

1. The game started with locks but they were removed by popular demand.
    2. People are entitled to voice their displeasure on the forums.
    3. My own selfish gain? Nice try! I've been ep since beta. Swapping between factions in the same campaign was a very rare event for me and would only happen when certain ep guilds were overwhelming the map.
    If I was 'selfish' I would have stayed on my ep to pick every poor pug off that came into range of their tri keeps for those easy dee ticks.
    4. 'Raw data' isn't what drove the locks to come back.
    5. You assume that the 7 day is an option for everyone. It isn't. There is no non cp unlocked 7 day and the non Prime population only has the numbers to fill one server (which has always been the longest running campaign since the very beginning.)

Might want to look up what ignorance means

1. the locks were removed with one tamriel and that was because they needed to keep people playing due to lack of content being pumped out so they opened up all faction storylines for everyone to do which added another month worth of content if completing all quests.
    2. People are entitled, you sure got that absolutely right. This generations is too entitled if you ask me.
    3. Good on you, why do you care about the faction lock then?
    4. they did collect data on that is what determined them bringing back the locks
    5. then perhaps they will make a non cp unlocked 7 day campaign for you, I'm all for that but leave the rest as is.
    Options
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering how you are talking about the launch of 1 Tam from a pve perspective, I don't think you were heavy with the pvp when locks were first removed.
    There were mixed feelings at first about what would happen. Some were for it, others were heavily against it.
    In the end, a lot of us ended up excited! There were players in dc and ad we had a friendly rivalry with and respected. With the unlocking, we would get the chances to play alongside them now and then. It was amazing fun.

I am not against locks themselves, I'm against the return of this old and oppressive dinosaur.
    As kpittsniperb14_ESO said in an earlier (and well written) post: 'Faction hopping on PC NA was done for the most part to balance the servers, help the lower pop faction and find good fights and certainly not something that needed fixing on the megaserver we're on.'
    The PC EU and other platforms however have their own stories they've told about flipping keeps and such and I understand that this is an issue. All of the people that object the lock that i've spoken to have no issue with a more flexible lock. Many good ideas have been brought forward about how this could be done.
    It's been 2 years since locks were removed. Old and new players alike have used this freedom to have toons in several factions to experience the game in different ways just as the game encouraged them to. To suddenly shackle everyone up again is completely unfair and contradictory to One Tamriel's concepts.

On the subject of data, there is no sure fire way to gather any kind of data to justify and then institute a faction lock.

As for the complaint about entitlement, that too is sounding pretty oppressive...

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact

Aldmeri Dominion

Daggerfall Covernant
    Options
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought about quitting the game because I can't play with my friends anymore. Waiting 30 days is such an undeserved punishment.
    Options
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There really isn’t though. Pvp population is lower than it has ever been. You will notice this because pop caps are 150 currently and queues being anywhere from no queue at pop lock to around 100.

Years ago the pop locks were 250-300(cant recall specific) and you would have queues of 100+ on weekdays primtime and 200-300 queues on weekends.
    Options
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

THAT IS IGNORANCE.

Cite the raw data please, I would love to review these numbers.
    Options
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've said before, I've only got DC characters, so I'm immune to faction locks changes. However, I also hate playing in ridiculous lag and disconnects, so I don't currently play the 30 (even though I home it) on console, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to after the console update either.
    So the faction lock stuff potentially won't even do me a favor, as a faction loyal player, because the problem for me is the dog-piling on one campaign during NA prime time that makes it a chore to get in and play and a headache to play once I'm in.

Is there even a way to make this right for everyone? Some faction loyal players want their preference to apply to the game as a whole. For me that makes sense because the game is a AvAvA when it comes to Cyrodiil, and I'm not a big fan of part time allies. ZOS removed enforced faction loyalty from Cyrodiil a long time ago, and it is incredibly unfair to backtrack on that with no recourse for those that embraced it.
    No CP players have no options.
    CP players who multifaction have no options that they like.

It seems like only single faction players are getting the clean end of the stick, but even that's debatable because I am a single faction player and I'll likely be in the same boat I'm in right now pre-Elsweyr; homing a campaign I can't play in during primetime.
    Options