The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The problem with faction lock for the veteran PvP players

• ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division we had faction locks before and again, outside of a cpl hrs each day, Had and Chill were dead and became buff servers. It's not pessimistic because we had faction locks before and this is exactly what happened. I'm not just speaking just for NA and NA primetime, Oceanic folks that have tri faction toons will have it worse, why? Because they did last time. I'm allowed to have a dissenting opinion.
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm smiling while reading this thread. All those faction-hopping heroes always switching to the alliance in need if some other faction gets overwhelming! And see how desperate they are when they will not be able to rescue everybody anymore!
    (Sorry - had to be a bit sarcastic.)

Truth be told, in all my time in Cyrodiil (and I spent a lot of time there) I have met exactly ONE guy who switched to a weak alliance willingly because he thought gaming might be more interesting there. I know a few ppl who burned grounds so badly in their alliance that they had to switch sides, I know a few who wished to join a ballgroup that was playing in another alliance, but the majority of faction-hoppers swaps alliances to join the winners or to farm with the dominant PvDoorers depending on daytime.

I feel its amazing that faction-hoppers now start crying because they might be forced to play in a campaign where only other faction-hoppers are playing! Whats there to be afraid of? If faction-hoppers indeed are the true heores in PVP, then this will be the best campaign ever with the finest fights imaginable. And if not, then maybe all faction-hopping heroes should ask themselves why they do NOT enjoy playing in a campaign where only other faction-hoppers are around.

From all I can see, a lot of normal players wished to have locked alliances in the campaign they are playing, and I have no doubt that the faction-locked campaigns will do well when ZOS implements the change. I'm also pretty sure that nobody will miss the faction-hopping heroes there.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ks888 wrote: »
    @Joy_Division we had faction locks before and again, outside of a cpl hrs each day, Had and Chill were dead and became buff servers. It's not pessimistic because we had faction locks before and this is exactly what happened. I'm not just speaking just for NA and NA primetime, Oceanic folks that have tri faction toons will have it worse, why? Because they did last time. I'm allowed to have a dissenting opinion.

I know, sarcasm doesn;'t translate over the internet well.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm smiling while reading this thread. All those faction-hopping heroes always switching to the alliance in need if some other faction gets overwhelming! And see how desperate they are when they will not be able to rescue everybody anymore!
    (Sorry - had to be a bit sarcastic.)

Truth be told, in all my time in Cyrodiil (and I spent a lot of time there) I have met exactly ONE guy who switched to a weak alliance willingly because he thought gaming might be more interesting there. I know a few ppl who burned grounds so badly in their alliance that they had to switch sides, I know a few who wished to join a ballgroup that was playing in another alliance, but the majority of faction-hoppers swaps alliances to join the winners or to farm with the dominant PvDoorers depending on daytime.

I feel its amazing that faction-hoppers now start crying because they might be forced to play in a campaign where only other faction-hoppers are playing! Whats there to be afraid of? If faction-hoppers indeed are the true heores in PVP, then this will be the best campaign ever with the finest fights imaginable. And if not, then maybe all faction-hopping heroes should ask themselves why they do NOT enjoy playing in a campaign where only other faction-hoppers are around.

From all I can see, a lot of normal players wished to have locked alliances in the campaign they are playing, and I have no doubt that the faction-locked campaigns will do well when ZOS implements the change. I'm also pretty sure that nobody will miss the faction-hopping heroes there.

You've only met one legitimate faction hopper so therefore you now know every single player in the game?? Wow, man, you must be god or something
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    It's a midday weekend, Vivec is 3-Lock-3 on PC NA, every other campaign is 0 across the board.

EP has the majority of the map. I have been playing on EP with a group of friends, and because the factions are so unbalanced currently we are moving to fight on DC.

With faction locks, we'd be forced to
    • Help push other factions to the gates, eliminating all PvP without much challenge.
    • Play on a dead campaign.
    • Log off or do something else.

How does this align with people's claims of spreading factions, etc.?
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glory wrote: »
    It's a midday weekend, Vivec is 3-Lock-3 on PC NA, every other campaign is 0 across the board.

EP has the majority of the map. I have been playing on EP with a group of friends, and because the factions are so unbalanced currently we are moving to fight on DC.

• Help push other factions to the gates, eliminating all PvP without much challenge.

Not to mention you're pretty much screwed for 30 days as opposed to locking the 7 day.
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The truth is the people who want faction locks are all faction loyal and like the idea of pushing the other alliances to the gates for tOtAl PoWeR; they don't care about anything more than that.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The truth is the people who want faction locks are all faction loyal and like the idea of pushing the other alliances to the gates for tOtAl PoWeR; they don't care about anything more than that.

A gated campaign for the majority of the day is exactly what’s going to happen. EU players will probably have a different experience though.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I think it’s a good point that faction loyalists aren’t in it for the pvp at all.

They’re fundamentally RPers and for them a gated campaign simply means victory.

It also explains why faction loyalists on the faction I’ve played a plurality of (AD) tend to be poor players who blame externalities for their own lack of competence.

All this time I’ve been mystified as to why there could be a base of support for faction locks since I actually like pvp, but it all makes SO much more sense when you look at it that way.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What Absolute and utter ***!! (They even brought attention to the most nonsensical potion of their thoughts/post by using mixed case). LMFAO
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »

What Absolute and utter ***!! (They even brought attention to the most nonsensical potion of their thoughts/post by using mixed case). LMFAO

Don't like the argument turned around on you all, do you?
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The guild leader of EP's most prominent faction loyal guild has stated that he would happily end PVP as we know it by permanently gating the other two factions.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMFAO... are U really so clueless???... I personally chastise and deplore anyone that gate camps to the point of causing conflict in zone... where are you playing that you don’t get it?
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

The guild leader of EP's most prominent faction loyal guild has stated that he would happily end PVP as we know it by permanently gating the other two factions.

*** should be hanged
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gate camping is the lowest of the low... I know it.. you know it... they know it... we ALL know it...

In most PvP games,,,, it would be understood as such.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gate camping is the lowest of the low... I know it.. you know it... they know it... we ALL know it...

Well I'm not naming and shaming but @Ahtu and his guild want this if you read his post history and find his quote.
    Edited by Elong on April 15, 2019 2:19AM
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .. to the gallows... can we come watch??
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t matter if you personally think it’s low or not but more so about if it actually happens or not. Which it does now and has been happening since I started playing the game, was worse back then.

Even I have been responsible for gating people at some point, I didn’t like it but it happened. I either did it to keep my emperorship as long as I can (in the most competitive campaign) hold back the dominating faction and hold the map for my alliance or because my faction and guilds that pushed for me wanted scrolls.

And believe it or not I have been apart of swapping alliances to get the worse faction emp when they didn’t have it in months. I have been that small scale player that impacted the map and even though I’m not for faction locks I predominantly have played the same alliance since 2015. Still don’t care for faction loyalty.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LMFAO... are U really so clueless???... I personally chastise and deplore anyone that gate camps to the point of causing conflict in zone... where are you playing that you don’t get it?

Went right over your head, seems to do that often with people on the forums.

Faction hoppers are continuously being accused of hopping the winning side, of just going after AP, of not caring. If the faction lock supporters don't like being lumped in, don't lump in right back.

You may be an exception, but most of the faction lock supporters I've seen on the forums and in-game literally just want to completely dominate. Would that be fine in a healthy game? Sure. But ESO's PvP isn't healthy.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @frozywozy it's being realistic - when faction lock was in place before - those servers were still dead outside of appox 7-9 pm EST. I know, I played them almost exclusively. Eventually we ran out of fights and had to hop over to the 30 day via grp queue because the pop just wasn't there.

The difference is Haderus has always been a buff campaign for AD anc Chillrend has been a buff campaign for DC for quite some time. Sotha right now has a very good balance of all factions at primetime. At least when I've played there during the week on Wednesday / Thursday, it's 3bars or max pop for all factions. By implementing locks on Vivec, some more people are going to be forced to play on Sotha at primetime and make it even better.
    Edited by frozywozy on April 15, 2019 3:54AM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Faction hoppers are continuously being accused of hopping the winning side, of just going after AP, of not caring. If the faction lock supporters don't like being lumped in, don't lump in right back.

You may be an exception, but most of the faction lock supporters I've seen on the forums and in-game literally just want to completely dominate. Would that be fine in a healthy game? Sure. But ESO's PvP isn't healthy.

Not accusing anyone.... in order to engage in an objective discussion, one must put aside all this nonsense u keep perpetuating....

Cloud prob elaborate further but my patience has been exhausted here...

Edited by Enkil on April 15, 2019 4:15AM
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not accusing anyone.... in order to engage in an objective discussion, one must put aside all this nonsense u keep perpetuating....

Cloud prob elaborate further but my patience has been exhausted here...

lol
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday six well-known, elite, faction swapping veteran players IN THIS THREAD switched to DC to serve as a distraction and help DC get their scroll back at Farragut. This is why we need faction locks. Players shouldn't be able to decide which faction they want to play on at any given moment given the situation as it gives a huge disadvantage to faction-loyal players.

I was enjoying fighting the DC zerg until they interfered and allowed DC to recapture their scroll.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 12:00PM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its ok
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A gated campaign for the majority of the day is exactly what’s going to happen. EU players will probably have a different experience though.

EU players have gated gampaigns for the majority of the day due to faction hopping. Ppl swap to the time-scheduled PVDoor alliance to farm AP on one character, then reswap with whole guilds to the other alliance for the next PVDoor ap farming session. And we are not talking about 3 or 4 ppl here but of 40+. Its utterly disgusting and a disgrace for the game.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

Well I'm not naming and shaming but @Ahtu and his guild want this if you read his post history and find his quote.

EU players have gated gampaigns for the majority of the day due to faction hopping. Ppl swap to the time-scheduled PVDoor alliance to farm AP on one character, then reswap with whole guilds to the other alliance for the next PVDoor ap farming session. And we are not talking about 3 or 4 ppl here but of 40+. Its utterly disgusting and a disgrace for the game.

That sounds beautiful. I wonder what will happen when they are unable to switch factions.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 11:59AM
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    frozywozy wrote: »
    @frozywozy it's being realistic - when faction lock was in place before - those servers were still dead outside of appox 7-9 pm EST. I know, I played them almost exclusively. Eventually we ran out of fights and had to hop over to the 30 day via grp queue because the pop just wasn't there.

The difference is Haderus has always been a buff campaign for AD anc Chillrend has been a buff campaign for DC for quite some time. Sotha right now has a very good balance of all factions at primetime. At least when I've played there during the week on Wednesday / Thursday, it's 3bars or max pop for all factions. By implementing locks on Vivec, some more people are going to be forced to play on Sotha at primetime and make it even better.

You didn't answer my question about how horrible this change will be for non-prime time. See my above comments about how one-sided PvP was yesterday.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »

You didn't answer my question about how horrible this change will be for non-prime time. See my above comments about how one-sided PvP was yesterday.

Your example happened during a timeframe when I haven't played yet. As mentioned in previous posts, I have been playing on Sotha mainly at PRIMETIME and the fights were amazing. No lag, large to small fights on multiple fronts, great competition between multiple guilds already established there (5 for AD, 3 for DC and 2 for EP).

I have never said that the faction locks benefit everybody and that the system is perfect. I said that in my opinion, the most important right now should be to help populate a second campaign by forcing some people who used to play in different factions on Vivec to give it a try on Sotha. As a result, ping and queues would also get better medium to long term.

This is not a silver bullet system. I know that people who truly helped balancing factions at any time of the day by playing the underdog don't like this change. I have also done such things when playing AD. I also understand why some people who don't really care about populating a second campaign disagree about faction locks.

I also said a few times that we should focus on quality of life when most people are playing before addressing oceanic. I don't believe there is any solution that is going to benefit everybody. At least not with the resources ZOS has.
    Edited by frozywozy on April 15, 2019 3:01PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Wrathmane
    Wrathmane
    ✭✭✭
    How about fixing the real problem with pvp instead: the lag.

Having this in mind... my PVP guild last week decided to try Sotha SIl during our Prime time event last week and it was wonderfully lag free..... we had some epic battles... (including a 60k D-tick from defending Chalman Keep from a combined AD/DC horde)......... the game hasn't been that smooth for me in a very long time.....

It was glorious....yeh there was some sustain issues with not having CP's, but everyone in there is all on the same level playing field.......

I think ZOS is attempting to spread out the population... which will fix the lag.
    Sha'ria Wrathmane - Belora Wrathmane - Leora Wrathmane
    Former Head of Recruitment for Vokundein