The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem with faction lock for the veteran PvP players

• NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    Yesterday six well-known, elite, faction swapping veteran players IN THIS THREAD switched to DC to serve as a distraction and help DC get their scroll back at Farragut. This is why we need faction locks. Players shouldn't be able to decide which faction they want to play on at any given moment given the situation as it gives a huge disadvantage to faction-loyal players.

I was enjoying fighting the DC zerg until they interfered and allowed DC to recapture their scroll.

As one of said six players, let me describe the situation a bit differently.

The 8 of us logged on for our raid at 12:00 on our main faction, EP.
    The map was quite balanced, slightly against EP.
    We went to Aleswell and fought off at least 30-40 DC players there for over an hour, allowing EP to claim chal and bleaks with very little resistance. Then we fought around some other keeps as well.

By 02:00pm we had farmed several keeps and had a great time, but EP had nearly all the keeps: from Glade to Alessia and were fighting at Fare. We realized if our 8man keeps fighting, DC will get gated, and we won't have any good fights since EP were zerging every remaining piece of land.

So instead of logging off or zerging, we decided to log on DC (only 6 of our 8man) and prevented their gating. We went straight to Farra and held off about 40 EPs for another hour. That allowed DC to reclaim their keeps and scrolls, and we had a blast fighting vastly outnumbered.

If faction lock was a thing we would have been forced to log off the moment EP controlled the map, with the only alternative being joining the zerg to gate camp DC.

Tl;dr
    Faction lock be bad.
    Characters: (PC NA)
    Ruerock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Ruepork the Magsorc | Magsorc __________________ Nirnshade | Magblade
    Pay To Warden | Magden _________________________ Moar Siege | Stamsorc
    Necrotic Orb | Magcro ____________________________ Bluerock | mDK
    Thelol Kadjit | Magplar ___________________________ Chalman Keep | Stamden
    Characters: (PC EU)
    Reurock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Refrigerator Boy | Magden _______________________ One Button AoE Stun| Magsorc
    Why So Spearious | Stamplar _____________________ Ree ee ee ee | StamDK
    Faction Locked | Magblade _______________________ Bae Blade| Stamblade
    You Shalk Not Pass | Stamden ____________________ Frag N Cheese | Magsorc

🔥 Nirnstorm.com - Top Tier PvP Builds & Guides 🔥

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch
    : Twitch.tv/Nirnstorm
    YouTube: YouTube.com/Nirnstorm
    Community Discord: https://discord.gg/APy9KK3

PvP Guild - Flame - [ Videos ]

Faction Lock contradicts the One-Tamriel concept.
    Please do NOT keep it in the game.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    All you did by logging in at 2 PM was help IA gate EP. You must know IA runs at this time. Why not help DC before that instead of helping them gate us?

We had our hands full without your interference.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 3:48PM
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you did by logging in at 2 PM was help IA gate EP. You must know IA runs at this time. Why not help DC before that instead of helping them gate us?

You were just about to gate them, Ahtu.

But either way- all we are looking for is a good fight. That's what's fun for us in ESO. When DC are pushed back to 2 keeps and even those have EP around them, we won't find any good fights there. Our only options were to have unchallenging zerging fights or swapping factions.

Edit:
    And we did end up finding that. We fought your group and the EP around it who were over the 40 I believe and we had so much fun at it! Much better than helping you gate camp DC.
    Edited by NirnStorm on April 15, 2019 3:46PM

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch

• Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    We were not gating them and instead holding what we had. What your describing has no basis in fact, and all you did was kick us when we were down. To me, it's cowardly of you to change sides to help them hammer us, but if that's your MO then I guess I will see you on the field.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 4:10PM
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 4:08PM
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ahtu Kick you while you're down? When we went to Farra EP had all the way to Glade and Alessia. You were by no means "down".
    In your opinion, what should have we done differently considering as our goal is to have a good challenging fight?

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch

• IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    Enkil wrote: »
    Glory wrote: »
    It's a midday weekend, Vivec is 3-Lock-3 on PC NA, every other campaign is 0 across the board.

EP has the majority of the map. I have been playing on EP with a group of friends, and because the factions are so unbalanced currently we are moving to fight on DC.

With faction locks, we'd be forced to
    • Help push other factions to the gates, eliminating all PvP without much challenge.
    • Play on a dead campaign.
    • Log off or do something else.

How does this align with people's claims of spreading factions, etc.?

The truth is the people who want faction locks are all faction loyal and like the idea of pushing the other alliances to the gates for tOtAl PoWeR; they don't care about anything more than that.

What Absolute and utter ***!! (They even brought attention to the most nonsensical potion of their thoughts/post by using mixed case). LMFAO

The guild leader of EP's most prominent faction loyal guild has stated that he would happily end PVP as we know it by permanently gating the other two factions.

He wouldn't end pvp though he'd just give me a nice scroll temple tick.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were not gating them and instead holding what we had. What your describing has no basis in fact, and all you did was kick us when we were down. To me, it's cowardly of you to change sides to help them hammer us, but if that's your MO then I guess I will see you on the field.

Aren't you the AD that faction swapped to EP?
  • Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is so full of salt, it makes the Atlantic look sweet.
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
    Alomar: 5 Stars - Beast: 3 stars - Kurudin: 5th NA emperor
    Awaiting New World, Camelot Unchained, and Crowfall
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what game you were playing but when you flagged Farra with that group of yours we only had three keeps left on the map. About five minutes later IA proceeded to flag both Arrius and Kings while we were fighting your group. As a result, those keeps were pvdoored and we were gated.

You talk about helping the losing faction and proceed to help the winning faction so I will never understand your motivations as small-scale and faction hopping is not fun to me.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 5:21PM
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭

I've played all three alliances and settled on EP because our players actually listen.
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what game you were playing but when you flagged Farra with that group of yours we only had three keeps left on the map. About five minutes later IA proceeded to flag both Arrius and Kings while we were fighting your group. As a result, those keeps were pvdoored and we were gated.

Nope. We flagged the keep, and as soon as your group showed up we went back to the resource and broken imperial tower and fought you there for over 30 minutes. DC were sieging Glade when we started.
    What you are referring to is the 2nd time the keep flagged, after we wiped your group, which other DCs flagged, and we just hung around on the walls killing the AD raid that ran inside trying to backcap it.
    I will never understand your motivations as small-scale and faction hopping is not fun to me.

It's simple. I don't care who wins. I play the game to have fun, not to serve a NPC king.
    Fun for me means outnumbered challenging battles in which I can't tell for sure I will win until the moment I do. AKA not 50v1ing.

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch

• Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    NirnStorm wrote: »

Nope. We flagged the keep, and as soon as your group showed up we went back to the resource and broken imperial tower and fought you there for over 30 minutes. DC were sieging Glade when we started.
    What you are referring to is the 2nd time the keep flagged, after we wiped your group, which other DCs flagged, and we just hung around on the walls killing the AD raid that ran inside trying to backcap it.
    I will never understand your motivations as small-scale and faction hopping is not fun to me.

It's simple. I don't care who wins. I play the game to have fun, not to serve a NPC king.
    Fun for me means outnumbered challenging battles in which I can't tell for sure I will win until the moment I do. AKA not 50v1ing.

We also noticed that DC was starting to change the map, and agreed to switch back over to EP. I believe the only reason we didn't was because group ended at 3PM which is when the map was really starting to change.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glory wrote: »
    It's a midday weekend, Vivec is 3-Lock-3 on PC NA, every other campaign is 0 across the board.

EP has the majority of the map. I have been playing on EP with a group of friends, and because the factions are so unbalanced currently we are moving to fight on DC.

With faction locks, we'd be forced to
    • Help push other factions to the gates, eliminating all PvP without much challenge.
    • Play on a dead campaign.
    • Log off or do something else.

How does this align with people's claims of spreading factions, etc.?

The truth is the people who want faction locks are all faction loyal and like the idea of pushing the other alliances to the gates for tOtAl PoWeR; they don't care about anything more than that.

A gated campaign for the majority of the day is exactly what’s going to happen. EU players will probably have a different experience though.

EU players have gated gampaigns for the majority of the day due to faction hopping. Ppl swap to the time-scheduled PVDoor alliance to farm AP on one character, then reswap with whole guilds to the other alliance for the next PVDoor ap farming session. And we are not talking about 3 or 4 ppl here but of 40+. Its utterly disgusting and a disgrace for the game.

Why do people swap to the winning faction to “farm” ap I never heard of that unless it was for people who just get EASY ap by taking empty keeps. Other than that in my experience people switch to the losing side to farm ap because of the ap buff and more enemies.

Edited by CatchMeTrolling on April 15, 2019 5:35PM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've played all three alliances and settled on EP because our players actually listen.

Oh lordy! The sweet sweet irony! Ahtu is a filthy faction hopper!
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I played AD for about two hours before giving up. DC was fun but their leaders are all too salty.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 15, 2019 6:11PM
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Easy solution posted again: allow people to go factionless in Cyrodiil. Include features:
    • Factionless cannot claim keeps, only outposts and resources.
    • Factionless are only allied with those in their group, with a smaller group cap (8? 12? 16?)
    • Factionless forfeit end of campaign rewards? Perhaps devise a new system with lesser benefits?

This shakes things up, allows people who want to "hop" to play with their friends able to do so, and limits their impact on influencing the campaign.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ahtu I know this gonna come as a real shocker, but there are people who could not care less about the map. There is more than one way to play in Cyrodiil. All we ask for is a way that gives us a way to preserve OUR way, you will still have yours, but faction locks automatically forces groups like ours to a dead server or the option of twiddling our thumbs on EP while the map gets mowed down, neither of which are very fun.
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ excuse above rambly sentences I am dealing with lack of sleep, but toughing it out for my D&D game tonight
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Glory see this is a nice compromise -

I would also throw in even "factionless can't be emperor on a locked campaign".

That covers most of the objections that led to the faction lock.
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    *that - your suggestion + mine covers the objections

dag nabbit I am so tired
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ahtu on a further note - no one FORCED EP to come fights us at the broken tower behind the Farra LM. YOU CHOSE to fight us there while other DC groups were busy elsewhere. This was a poor decision on the players part who were fighting us while other keeps were attacked. We have no control over this, just like we have no control over it when keeps don't get defended while we're on our EP toons. We're all responsible for our own choices and the consequences of said choices. My avatar may be a goat, but it's not a scapegoat. My goat's name is Sindab tyvm.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes and I might have made a mistake fighting you I realize that yes. I'm not mad about the scroll I'm mad that people have the ability to appear at our gates with no warning, at random, at any given moment just by reading the map. It's not right and should be removed completely for Vivec as it makes situational awareness impossible.
    Edited by Ahtu on April 16, 2019 2:50AM
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ahtu so I'm not allowed to ride my horse in cyrodiil from one side of the map to the other?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So when I started ESO I made multiple faction toons to experience different faction stories and races. Personally I went from "hell no I'll never PVP" to trying it out for the skills and passives and discovering I liked it to the point of avoiding PvP. Since then we had One Tamriel (an awesome change) but unfortunately the pvp audience has steadily dwindled. Over the years I have met players of all alliances I like, respect, and enjoy playing with... and some I enjoy playing against... and some I loved fighting against that it turns out I really liked fighting with.

I've watched the less populated campaigns I loved degenerate into wastelands where a "zerg" of 12 can cap the map to sell that emperor achievement for 3 million gold. A campaign where any strong group (via size of ability) can dominate to the map to the exclusion of any real competition before they get bored and log off.

If you wanted competition, you usually had to play one faction in the day and another in prime time.

Performance issues finally made me leave ESO PvP and eventually ESO altogether, but I'd be back in a heartbeat if that got fixed. So I watch the patch notes, I still watch the videos, I talk to ESO friends... I'd love to rekindle an old flame. I'd love to buy Eleswyr and renew my subscription. TAKE MY MONEY.

But this patch I'm told I'd have to pick which set of friends to play with, assuming those friends all make the same choice. So much for One Tamriel. I have to make a choice based on one time zone, so if I play at different hours on different days, I am left out. Or we can go to a 7 day camp which in all likelihood will have a brief renaissance before descending into what it was.

It's not a welcome mat.

And I guarantee the people bleating about SPAIS will just switch to whining that people are using alt accounts to flip factions.
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and I might have made a mistake fighting you I realize that yes. I'm not mad about the scroll I'm mad that people have the ability to appear at our gates with no warning, at random, at any given moment just by reading the map. It's not right and should be removed completely for Vivec as it makes situational awareness impossible.

What?
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • RedGirl41
    RedGirl41
    ✭✭✭✭
    Locking alliances is the biggest mistake they can do. even if "spies" were a thing in a 5 year old game, alliance locking wouldn't prevent it. WE HAVE TEXT CHAT, GUILD CHATS, PARTY CHATS?!?!?!

The alliance lock should be In the smaller 7 day campaigns so people who care about that can do play there.

most of the time I play dc with my small guild but when im alone I play my mag dk on AD because I made her years ago with other friends.

simple solution: makes smaller 7 day campaigns be alliance locked.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ks888 wrote: »
    @frozywozy not everyone plays NA primetime though - that's a huge chunk of people being relegated to dead servers.

If a “huge chuck of people” are relegated to “dead” servers, I guess they’ll no longer be dead, eh?
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a 7-day should have been locked and offered as a new option. Then if it’s lopsided, people can play diff factions after 7 days—very reasonable. I’ve been lobbying for faction lock since returning to game last April, but really I was hoping for maybe one (or 1 Cp, 1 no-CP) new 7-day campaign(s).

Perhaps the devs have some long-term vision about potential benefits of locking the 30-days but they have not shared it. It may backfire, and I hope they are prepared to adjust accordingly and change things if they are inundated with feedback once this goes live.

Faction lock is a big new change. It probably should have been offered as an option on a short duration campaign... not forced upon the masses. If the locked 7-day campaign proves popular, it could then be rolled out to other campaigns if there is additional demand.

Edited by Enkil on April 17, 2019 3:26AM
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaiz wrote: »

DAD! Billy won't play on my team every time! Make him pick my side!
    Edited by josh.lackey_ESO on April 17, 2019 4:23AM