Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Logs: Invasive or Useful?

Tyrobag
Tyrobag
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I can certainly see how they can be useful, but seeing as there's no way to stop it from sharing your data (the "anonymous" feature only hides your name, which can easily be found with the collected data) its just far too invasive for me. I don't think that people should be able to see other people's data without their consent.

If they made it only record any data of people who opt in, then I would be on board.

ESO Logs: Invasive or Useful? 469 votes

Invasive
53%
SirAndyTabbycatSolarikenGilvothvailjohn_ESOMojmirCatsmoke14gimpdrb14_ESOkendellking_chaosb14_ESODarcyMardinSmaxxChivanawodkamanostrab16_ESOIruil_ESOGythralKillumCyberOnEsoAH93mareeelb16_ESOMickey_Cheese 251 votes
Useful
46%
VuronCireousCasterialJoy_Divisionk9mousePinesytheyanceyOakmontowls_ESOCaligamy_ESOSuddwrathdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESODaveMoeDeeotis67hedna123b14_ESOScootterXvarSvenjaDestruentxMovingTargetprofundidob16_ESO 218 votes
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It very much depends on the purpose of them.

I can't agree to them being public, but, in the case of determining group needs, I can see their use.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Useful
    Useful. If you make yourself anonymous then the people seeing on the website won't know it's you

And if people in your group know you're the only anonymous one and they are rude about it, let's be real, do you even want to play with them anyways? No.

I'm very excited for our progression team who regularly takes cmx screenshots and makes spreadsheets to have this tool make our lives easier tho.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive
    This tool will only increase the already high elitism which exists in ESO.
    I can imagine many group leaders request the use of this tool as mandatory.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    Used properly theyre fine. Ive yet to see an MMO where dps meters were used properly.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »
    This tool will only increase the already high elitism which exists in ESO.
    I can imagine many group leaders request the use of this tool as mandatory.

Agree.

Can you imagine how alienated newer players and those who refuse to meta would be?

Nobody wants to group with you when you below CP500 anymore anyhow.

Besides, if you're a healer or a tank, sometimes the DPS is a bit ridiculous.

I actually got criticized for my healer only doing about 15K dps. Sure I kept the team healthy and buffed, but that didn't matter. I was still expected to be the DD?

I'm confused.
  • thedovahmon
    thedovahmon
    ✭✭✭✭
    But without logs, we wouldn't be able to make staves or Bows.
    "Voted most likely to reply with a reaction image. According to the Mournhold High School Yearbook."
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Useful. If you make yourself anonymous then the people seeing on the website won't know it's you

And if people in your group know you're the only anonymous one and they are rude about it, let's be real, do you even want to play with them anyways? No.

I'm very excited for our progression team who regularly takes cmx screenshots and makes spreadsheets to have this tool make our lives easier tho.

It is impossible to play ESO without playing with elitists. If I refused to play with any group that had elitists in it I wouldn't be able to play trials.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »

It is impossible to play ESO without playing with elitists. If I refused to play with any group that had elitists in it I wouldn't be able to play trials.

Good thing I don't do Trials.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    No group content for me anyway (mega-ping here), but I don't like the idea anyway.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive
    DenMoria wrote: »

Which is great for you if you don't care about that content, but may of us like trials.

Its not even that I personally expect to get much flack from this addition (my dps is reasonably good), but I know it will be misused to promote toxicity. I also don't like the idea of people looking at my data without my consent. Whats next, the ability to check someone's gear/ability set up? Their rotation? If I want you to know these things I'd tell you when you ask.
    Edited by Tyrobag on April 12, 2019 11:29PM
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    For progression teams def useful as you can see where you struggle. As MissBizz stated, you make screenshots of cbm, you make spreedsheet and this would def help.

But I don't like the idea of sharing my data with everyone, even anonymously.

There should be an option for disabling it if you don't wanna share your data. And I think it is totally okay to be against it. If you want to share it, share it. If not, make an option so it's uploaded. Everyone would be happy. And I'm guessing progression guilds would make this mandatory.
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are the details of exactly what Logs are going to be only to be found in the Twitch stream from tonight?
    (I just got home from work, so I've already missed 90 minutes of it, if it isn't over already.)

Is this something that we can opt-out of? Or is it being forced on the playerbase?

Who asked for this feature? And for whom is the feature intended?
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive

You're missing the point.
    a·non·y·mous
    /əˈnänəməs/
    adjective
    (of a person) not identified by name; of unknown name.
    "the donor's wish to remain anonymous"
    synonyms: unnamed, of unknown name, nameless, incognito, unidentified, unknown, unspecified, undesignated, unacknowledged, mystery; More
    having no outstanding, individual, or unusual features; unremarkable or impersonal.
    "the anonymous black car waiting to take him to the airport"
    synonyms: characterless, unremarkable, nondescript, impersonal, faceless, colorless, gray
    "an anonymous London housing estate"
    used in names of support groups for addicts of a substance or behavior to indicate the confidentiality maintained among members of the group.

If they can identify you, you're not anonymous. Period. People don't want to share their data. It's not a difficult concept to understand.
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on April 12, 2019 11:36PM
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    Are the details of exactly what Logs are going to be only to be found in the Twitch stream from tonight?
    (I just got home from work, so I've already missed 90 minutes of it, if it isn't over already.)

Is this something that we can opt-out of? Or is it being forced on the playerbase?

It's intended for competitive players who want to compare their epeens.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive

Its over, they did go over it. There is no full opt out, only an option to hide your name (which can be found easily enough with the other data)
    Mostly elite trial guilds asked for this, and it is intended for them, but can be used by anyone at any time.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive
    Barf. I hope ZOS will give us an opt-out. There's already far too much transparency in MMOs and too few privacy options. Tearing down what few walls remain is a terrible idea.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is great for you if you don't care about that content, but may of us like trials.

Its not even that I personally expect to get much flack from this addition (my dps is reasonably good), but I know it will be misused to promote toxicity. I also don't like the idea of people looking at my data without my consent. Whats next, the ability to check someone's gear/ability set up? Their rotation? If I want you to know these things I'd tell you when you ask.

Like I said in the poll.

While I don't really want my DPS to be public knowledge usually, when it comes to group content, particularly for Trials, it could certainly serve a valuable purpose.

Of course, it also opens up an awful lot of opportunities for abuse, but, hey, if you're doing trials and you're not qualified (which I'm not), maybe your teammates actually deserve to be warned, eh?
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    As far as I understood it @bearbelly is that someone can type /activatelogs (or so) and the game records dps, heals and other stuff during a period of time (until the person who activaed it stops it with another comand).
    The data gets uploaded in the esologs website for either publicly, group wise or guild related to see.
    You can decide to be anmously though and your name will not display, though the other peoples name display.

Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong!
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Meta Elitests and we all know it.

Not that there's a problem with that.

By the time you're doing Vet Trials, honestly, even I, a poor casual, have do admit - You Damned Well Better Be Ready!
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive

Like I said in the poll.

While I don't really want my DPS to be public knowledge usually, when it comes to group content, particularly for Trials, it could certainly serve a valuable purpose.

Of course, it also opens up an awful lot of opportunities for abuse, but, hey, if you're doing trials and you're not qualified (which I'm not), maybe your teammates actually deserve to be warned, eh?

Which is what a polite request for a dps parse is for.
    Edited by Tyrobag on April 12, 2019 11:37PM
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I played ESO fine without worrying about the elitists since I wasn't into the raiding stuff anyway but then again even the normal dungeons people kicked you out if you didn't pull 20k in norms which was funny
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    This actually reminds me of the forced "everyone on your friends list knows when you're online" that WoW and then later RIFT did years back. That was one of the major reasons I left both games. It's no one's business when I'm online.... not even (or maybe especially) my family. I play games to get AWAY from them!
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like I said in the poll.

Which is what a polite request for a dps parse is for.

Polite? Oh come-on, this is an MMO, there ain't nothin' polite about it! :)
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    [edited to remove inappropriate comment]

Can be potentially cancerous (like ppl will not want you in a group before you reach certain numbers etc.). I am also expecting some crazy add-ons that will use it to create its own libraries and separate players on "bad" and "good".

If Zeni wants less people to do group dungeons and trials - they are on the right way.
    Edited by ZOS_RikardD on April 14, 2019 4:42PM
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    Haha, no thanks
    forever stuck in combat
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Invasive
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    This actually reminds me of the forced "everyone on your friends list knows when you're online" that WoW and then later RIFT did years back. That was one of the major reasons I left both games. It's no one's business when I'm online.... not even (or maybe especially) my family. I play games to get AWAY from them!

GW2 has something similar, except people can choose to "follow" you without your consent. Go offline and you can't use map chat, which is super-annoying when you're trying to do one of the map event dailies.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invasive
    jainiadral wrote: »

GW2 has something similar, except people can choose to "follow" you without your consent. Go offline and you can't use map chat, which is super-annoying when you're trying to do one of the map event dailies.

Yeah, I noticed that when I first took a look at GW2. Was my LAST look at GW2....
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If "Anonymous" becomes the default option, without needing to be selected or creating an ESO Logs account to claim your characters, I will unhesitatingly say that its "Useful."

Otherwise, it is certainly "Useful" and quite possibly ALSO "Invasive" and almost certain to cause a number of "Wait, why is my character name being posted with these logs? How do I stop it?" situations.
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    Invasive
    As others have said, this will increase the already bad elitism and 'meta' builds and will only force out or discourage people who want to learn harder content. I have seen a few guilds over the last few years collapse due to the direction being suddenly change to elitism and all it does is makes people not want to play the game.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the ESO dev team only listen to feedback from streamers who have 8 hours a day to play, and not the average player who might get on for say an hour or two a night at most. By aiming everything this way, they will add yet more poison into what has always be a wonderful community. It is a shame, but after 5 years I am starting to wonder whether I have a future in ESO at all.
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    Invasive

ESO had the same 'feature' for the first few years, and yes it was needlessly invasive. Sometimes you just want to play alone without being bothered.
This discussion has been closed.