Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

High latency at akamai.com

• chris211
    chris211
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Korax wrote: »
    I think just reading this thread with multiple different responders from different parts of the globe kinda tells you where the problem resides... its not your ISP for sure.

A non-response from ZOS, is in-fact also a response.

Well, ZOS is not responding because they have likely been told the reasons for the problem, and it is not something they can, or want, to share. Just to be clear, the reason for a lot of the people in this thread, not all of them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seri wrote: »
    Ultimately there's three sources of 'lag' in play here. What you mention is about the bandwidth/congestion of the links between you and the servers. This is where packet loss occurs along the path (and in-game you get the random 999+ spurts, regardless of your in-game location). Sometimes this is your ISP, sometimes it is further along outside the ISP's control.

Is there any way to check whether this is the case? For three weeks, I've had a support ticket open over this issue (PC NA, in Northern California) and don't want to be blaming the nice support people at ZOS for what might be my ISP's (Comcast's) issue. Support told me to contact my ISP with the message:
    10 --- 1/ 1 =100% 0/ 1 = 0% 209.200.184.194
    But all Comcast support can do is send someone to check our internet box (which appears to be working fine). Running a trace to that IP address above results in "response timed out" for every Akamai hop. When my ESO connection is stalling, other internet connections work fine. Issue started out of nowhere 3 weeks ago, worked fine before.

Point is, is there a way to check whether this issue is on my ISP's side or ZoS'? Have other people successfully fixed this by using a VPN? Thanks
    If you're seeing the lag only in ESO that tends to point it in that direction. Beyond that, all you can really do is set up a constant ping to various other points along the route and see where packet drops come in. A tool like PingPlotter would do - plug in the ESO server endpoint and it'll continually ping the entire path, giving an idea of where along the route issues come in.

That said, a single line item along a path showing 100% loss is also not unusual, or problematic. Various nodes drop or deprioritise ICMP ping responses (and it should be obvious that if a node is dropping 100% of pings but you can access everything after it, then it's not that node's fault). What you're aiming for is packet drops that start somewhere in the route and then continue for the rest of the route.

As for VPN, all you can really do is try it. It helps a lot for the Oceanic community because of bad routing. On the other hand, if the issues are closer to home, then the communication to the VPN will have the same problems.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Bazgrim
    Bazgrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Just wanted to tell you guys I've been waiting 8 months to return to this game because of major ping issues related to akamai.

Every time I return it's the same problem.
    Every few weeks I check the forums hoping for a response or that dev's have pinpointed the issue.

I'm sure there are many like me that don't respond to this thread.
    Alpha / Beta Participant / Software Engineering UG
    Author of StopIt!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think just reading this thread with multiple different responders from different parts of the globe kinda tells you where the problem resides... its not your ISP for sure.

They basically hinted on stream that they won't be fixing the issues. In the 30 or so seconds they spent talking about PvP performance they basically said the problems are too difficult to fix. They stumbled over some old topics like character loading and composite whatevers (which they already optimized previously for a decent FPS boost), but they didn't say anything new and certainly did not address any server lag. So yeah I think its obvious by now that the real problematic type of lag will just be around for the rest of this games life. Also what little fixes are coming MIGHT be in over the course of this year no guarantee.
    Edited by Vapirko on January 22, 2019 3:19AM
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    So TL;DR: All downhill from here...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

They basically hinted on stream that they won't be fixing the issues. In the 30 or so seconds they spent talking about PvP performance they basically said the problems are too difficult to fix. They stumbled over some old topics like character loading and composite whatevers (which they already optimized previously for a decent FPS boost), but they didn't say anything new and certainly did not address any server lag. So yeah I think its obvious by now that the real problematic type of lag will just be around for the rest of this games life. Also what little fixes are coming MIGHT be in over the course of this year no guarantee.

While you could be right, the people on that stream were not the ones that can answer that sort of question. The stumbling that you saw was also due to being asked for an answer that they were not really qualified to give. I have seen this before, with various people from the creative and game play side. They know stuff is going on, but it is not what they do for a living. You need someone from programming, or a producer, to really answer that

On top of that, ZOS does not want to oversell anything they are working on.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 22, 2019 10:11AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While you could be right, the people on that stream were not the ones that can answer that sort of question. The stumbling that you saw was also due to being asked for an answer that they were not really qualified to give. I have seen this before, with various people from the creative and game play side. They know stuff is going on, but it is not what they do for a living. You need someone from programming, or a producer, to really answer that

So, then, given the insane amount of ire concering the performance issues, would it really hurt to bring in someone who is qualified to answer a few questions? Unless of course they’re not doing anything. They definitely aren’t in a position to oversell, even if they told me that performance was going to be fixed I still wouldn’t believe it until I saw it.
    Edited by Vapirko on January 22, 2019 10:14AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, then, given the insane amount of ire concering the performance issues, would it really hurt to bring in someone who is qualified to answer a few questions? Unless of course they’re not doing anything. They definitely aren’t in a position to oversell, even if they told me that performance was going to be fixed I still wouldn’t believe it until I saw it.

While this may be Issue #1 for you, they were there to talk about Season of the Dragon, and related game topics. I really didn't expect them to talk about game performance at all, and clearly it was outside of the areas where they had stuff to reveal.

The answer they gave goes back to the whole "onion" thing that they talked about a couple years ago, and since then, they have been walking that path. The answer, while not encouraging, is consistent.

I am with others in thinking that they are skirting around what they know to be the problem, but cannot or do not want to fix, in an attempt to make things better. Polishing the turd, if you want to go crude with it. Without knowing technical facts, it is hard to say more.

And, of course, none of this has anything to do with high latency at Akamai, which is an entirely other question, the answer for which is even further outside of that stream's area of expertise.
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This still hasn't received an official response from ZOS?
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you ever will... don't hold your breath. :wink:
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just a reminder that this is still an issue that is potentially crippling to those without a VPN, and it is in dire need of attention.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    89so1ae8ed9j.png
    p6l3mwarwr95.png

I came to the forums of the issues related to this thread i was seeing. Best and worst latency numbers with spikes every 1 to 5 minutes From Melbourne, Aus. Connection is also now being routed through Perth instead of Sydney for us also. These numbers are the only reason i haven't played for weeks since the games release. I come online and its like this again. Opposite of fun in every way. Combat is not exactly reasonable to do in this game. Even worse is that i have a new high end graphics card and 3 year old gaming PC. FPS is when standing still also. 130 FPS is about my normal in all other games. I have saved around $2000 on this game because of its issues in the pics for 2 years now. Unlike my first 2 years and refusing to pay more until things get fixed since back then. I wonder if ZoS has forgot of all the people paying for eso+ for so long when it gave nothing more then 10% exp gains and anyone doing that was doing it to support ZoS in making the game great.

I'd be wasting money if i bought the next expansion or any over priced crown stuff. About $50 real money for a Guar i don't even want from fake gambling, sticking my head in a clown crate. Or waaaaay more from entire other games or expansions costing the same. Not a tough choice. I legitimately still consider this game still in Beta. Wish it wasn't the case. Fun instead of constant frustration is hardly a game. Communication would have saved tons of it over the years also.
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    BETA would be an improvement, I still consider this ALPHA... did I say ALPHA? I meant CLOSED ALPHA since I cant access this game since September 2018.
  • kishrwb17_ESO
    kishrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Hello folks,
    I just found this thread today and I agree with the last post by Korax.
    For me, the game has had unusable latency (999+) in crowded areas since about September 2018.
    Prior to that latency had been usually ~300+, but still easily playable since 2014.
    What happened?
  • AlwaysSeeingRed
    AlwaysSeeingRed
    Soul Shriven
    gamer559 wrote: »
    7mdydolz6jb4.jpg

Same issue you are having & same results. The problem is with Akamai.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_GaryA This needs to be addressed!

I gotta say, I have had no latency issues thus far. Seems to me that if it really was just this Akamai service, EVERYONE would be affected. I do believe it is something local on your computers. Some sort of port not opened or maybe an antivirus/firewall is not liking Akamai. But if it really was that service, it would be likely EVERYONE would be affected which is not the case.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SNIP

I gotta say, I have had no latency issues thus far. Seems to me that if it really was just this Akamai service, EVERYONE would be affected. I do believe it is something local on your computers. Some sort of port not opened or maybe an antivirus/firewall is not liking Akamai. But if it really was that service, it would be likely EVERYONE would be affected which is not the case.

@AlwaysSeeingRed Do you live in Australia, New Zealand or South East Asia? If not then this isn't relevant to you. If so then what is your ping? If it is in the red, then you are affected by this, if not, then what is your ISP because I want to swap to that one.

Our problem is ROUTING, the direction our traffic takes via internet hubs, switches etc. In other words it has nothing to do with a service on our client PCs, PS or Xbox. All devices are all affected.

When the Los Angeles Akamai DDoS Prolexic Scrubber was the closest one for the Oceanic and South East Asian regions, our routing was direct across the Pacific. Since the Hong Kong Akamai Prolexic Scrubber came online, we are all directed to Hong Kong, which for many of us is the wrong direction and has added 30-50% extra ping, to an already high ping (220-250ms,) so it is considerable.

Not everyone in the world will be affected as Hong Kong is not the closest Akamai Prolexic DDoS scrubber for EVERYONE.

Routing is the problem, not our client host.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just people in Oceania and South East Asia. I live in California and had this problem (constant disconnects and endless error 200 & 108 messages) for over a month until it vanished as quickly as it began. It's been gone for a while now, but came back yesterday. Nothing has changed on my side, although I took all the steps recommended by support. I think it started with the Tuesday patch.

My monthslong back-and-forth ended with the (helpful as can be) support person agreeing a VPN might be something to try, and suggesting that it's not a problem they can say will be fixed soon. They seemed to know it's a broad problem, and possibly why, but are unable to speak on it.

I don't mind the ping so much as not being able to connect and stay connected to ESO. Especially with unpausable ESO+ time burning. It's not the product we're paying for : p

edit: forums turned emoticon into an emoji
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on March 28, 2019 2:14AM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • DYSEQTA
    DYSEQTA
    ✭✭✭
    I have not been able to play Elder Scrolls Online at all since moving to Tasmania, Australia. I get booted from the game within 4 minutes every time. I did some trace routes and low and behold akamai.com is where everything dies. My son pre-ordered the Elsewyr expansion (before we moved here) and has not been able to play it due to this issue. Short of logging in and trying to get research sorted before getting booted there is no game to be played...

traceroute to 198.20.198.110 (198.20.198.110), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 _gateway (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 29.555 ms 29.556 ms 29.502 ms
    2 Bundle-Ether2-102.bdr01-ipt-67kenned-hba.au.superloop.com (27.122.116.3) 8.865 ms 8.256 ms 8.735 ms
    3 Bundle-Ether1-161.bdr01-ipt-826lorim-mel.au.superloop.com (103.200.13.146) 145.544 ms 145.509 ms 145.480 ms
    4 HundredGigE0-0-1-2.106.bdr01-ipt-47bourke-syd.au.superloop.com (103.200.13.112) 144.183 ms 144.146 ms 144.092 ms
    5 Bundle-Ether1-104.bdr01-ipt-168yeung-hkg.hk.superloop.com (103.200.14.152) 145.242 ms Bundle-Ether1-102.bdr01-ipt-168yeung-hkg.hk.superloop.com (103.200.14.151) 143.942 ms 143.957 ms
    6 prolexic1-lacp-10g.hkix.net (123.255.91.26) 146.829 ms 148.171 ms 146.565 ms
    7 po110.bs-b.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com (72.52.2.184) 147.820 ms po110.bs-a.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com (72.52.2.176) 144.468 ms po110.bs-b.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com (72.52.2.184) 147.601 ms
    8 * * *
    9 * * *
    10 * * *
    11 * * *
    12 * * *
    13 * * *
    14 * * *
    15 * * *
    16 * * *
    17 * * *
    18 * * *
    19 * * *
    20 * * *
    21 * * *
    22 * * *
    23 * * *
    24 * * *
    25 * * *
    26 * * *
    27 * * *
    28 * * *
    29 * * *
    30 * * *

traceroute to 198.20.198.110 (198.20.198.110), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 _gateway (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 5.140 ms 5.117 ms 5.059 ms
    2 Bundle-Ether2-102.bdr01-ipt-67kenned-hba.au.superloop.com (27.122.116.3) 8.538 ms 8.529 ms 8.157 ms
    3 Bundle-Ether1-162.bdr01-ipt-530colli-mel.au.superloop.com (103.200.13.182) 143.653 ms 143.620 ms 143.712 ms
    4 HundredGigE0-0-1-2.106.bdr01-ipt-47bourke-syd.au.superloop.com (103.200.13.112) 143.693 ms HundredGigE0-0-1-2.104.bdr01-ipt-4edenpar-syd.au.superloop.com (103.200.13.110) 146.540 ms 146.490 ms
    5 Bundle-Ether1-102.bdr01-ipt-168yeung-hkg.hk.superloop.com (103.200.14.151) 143.352 ms Bundle-Ether1-104.bdr01-ipt-168yeung-hkg.hk.superloop.com (103.200.14.152) 145.523 ms 145.055 ms
    6 prolexic1-lacp-10g.hkix.net (123.255.91.26) 148.117 ms 147.484 ms 148.037 ms
    7 po110.bs-a.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com (72.52.2.176) 144.311 ms po110.bs-b.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com (72.52.2.184) 147.758 ms 147.502 ms
    8 * * *
    9 * * *
    10 * * *
    11 * * *
    12 * * *
    13 * * *
    14 * * *
    15 * * *
    16 * * *
    17 * * *
    18 * * *
    19 * * *
    20 * * *
    21 * * *
    22 * * *
    23 * * *
    24 * * *
    25 * * *
    26 * * *
    27 * * *
    28 * * *
    29 * * *
    30 * * *

Edited by DYSEQTA on July 23, 2019 6:44AM
    For the King!
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DYSEQTA

(I would recommend removing the IP address next to your gateway in the post above.)

I would also recommend to you to try a VPN such as Mudfish or Battleping to see if your routing is the problem. Both have a free trial. I use Mudfish.

Also, the main thread for Akamai problems in OCEANIA is this one.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300#latest

Best of luck.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • DYSEQTA
    DYSEQTA
    ✭✭✭
    @MrGarlic thanks.

I have found my VPN can get around the problem. However, I should not be required to make use of a third party service with a cost of it's own to use a service I have already paid for.
    For the King!
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DYSEQTA wrote: »
    @MrGarlic thanks.

I have found my VPN can get around the problem. However, I should not be required to make use of a third party service with a cost of it's own to use a service I have already paid for.

I totally agree. It is an extra, albeit small expense, that shouldn't be required.

It never used to be a problem until last September when we started to be routed through Akamai's Hong Kong DDoS scrubber, which went online then. Previously we were routed directly to the USA where the nearest Akamai scrubber was.

However if you want better ping times from your location, it may be necessary. I used to live in Tasmania so I am aware of the problems the extra distance can cause so I am on your side.

BTW, Zos does not care but I would recommend submitting a ticket anyway. They will tell you it's your ISP, which it isn't. It's their choice of anti-DDoS protection causing the problems for our region.

Good luck.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gamer559 wrote: »
    7mdydolz6jb4.jpg

Same issue you are having & same results. The problem is with Akamai.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_GaryA This needs to be addressed!

Wow. You are actually looking at a screen shot that shows a 224 ping at an Akamai server while all other pings are 17-30ms and still pull the "it's on your end" card? O.O Just because on your end you have no problem? Did you do a traceroute yourself? What did it show?
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As well as super high ping, my fps also plummeted after the patch. Sitting at 20 fps... Seriously?
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am on the EU server, but have been having a similar issue for years now, maybe itll get some attention now. This is my tracert, it clearly shows the connection gets worse the second it hits the zos servers. Not on my end at all.

80467808_1223778424677639_3152487977876193280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQmkKnwKtyo_HIMaDpXgBWKkP4DIPSFrH9wjxIfmtS9jiOoG8uh9Fv0DZttUjQr0DQw&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.xx&oh=cff5ed6556fc9deca5de2907b0954843&oe=5E6D31AA
  • mfcostacampos
    mfcostacampos
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

You realise that every day that goes by without you people sharing a response to this is a day that you cost your employers more money with people cancelling their subs, right?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started looking at this and from Ohio; I get a cleaner connection to the EU server it seems. The US gets to the same location as I see 198.20.198.110 at but it just bounces around in that area until it hits the max hops

Tracing route to 198.20.198.110 over a maximum of 30 hops

3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 40 ms 34 ms 34 ms ce-0-6-0-1.r01.nycmny17.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [157.238.179.117]
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 41 ms 43 ms * ae-3.r22.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.116]
    10 38 ms 41 ms 40 ms ae-1.r05.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.20]
    11 43 ms 37 ms 39 ms ae-0.a02.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.190]
    12 44 ms 33 ms 37 ms 165.254.191.122
    13 34 ms 34 ms 35 ms po111.bs-b.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [209.200.144.202]
    14 34 ms 34 ms 32 ms a72-52-1-189.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [72.52.1.189]
    15 39 ms 34 ms 34 ms ae121.access-a.sech-iad.netarch.akamai.com [209.200.144.205]
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert 195.122.154.1

Tracing route to 195.122.154.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 36 ms 32 ms 33 ms ce-0-6-0-1.r01.nycmny17.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [157.238.179.117]
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 189 ms 137 ms 41 ms ae-1.a01.nycmny13.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.90]
    11 36 ms 36 ms 35 ms 62.159.61.217
    12 127 ms 154 ms 132 ms 194.25.6.2
    13 127 ms 127 ms 129 ms 195.122.154.1

Trace complete.

This makes me think they have a routing issue from Akami to their servers. Shouldnt need 15 more hops from there.

EDIT: Set max hops to 200 and it just keeps going. Never completes until max hop count reached
    Edited by technohic on January 5, 2020 7:37PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once the tracert enters the Akamai network, it hits a system that just doesn't respond to ping requests, therefore it will always time out.

It is designed that way.

The ESO server is also configured to ignore ping requests so 'pinging' the servers will also time out.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, my own tracert from NZ to the ESO servers in Europe do not appear to go through Akamai. (Still getting 320 ping though, but that's to be expected.)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrGarlic wrote: »
    Once the tracert enters the Akamai network, it hits a system that just doesn't respond to ping requests, therefore it will always time out.

It is designed that way.

The ESO server is also configured to ignore ping requests so 'pinging' the servers will also time out.

Yeah Traceroutes will run UTP and not everything will respond with the information, especially secure devices, but I think the connection should complete and not have infinite hops.