Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So why is my max magicka only 27k with just one protective and the rest arcane? I guess I'm still confused as to what's used in no cp cyrodil and BG's. Like what stats should you look for in no cp? What set combinations actually work in no cp? Anyone have concrete setups they've used in the past that are good ones? Keep in mind I do almost solely 1v1 and 1vx so transmutation wouldn't be as useful for me in no cp I would think. I'm aiming to be as effective as possible in 1v1 and 1vx as a magplar, I've seen very strong magplars in no cp running axiom and Amber plasm. So I'm thinking I'll either change plasm to shackle for extra Stam because I feel I'm not needing the regen as much. Are there even any experienced no cp open world players around here that do mostly solo??
    May I ask why you don't think Transmutation is not optimal for solo play/1vX? I play solo 99% of the time and Transmutation is still my favorite magplar set because 1) it is one of the very few sources of crit resists in this game 2) it takes care of your defense AND sustain so you can just spec for damage for the rest of your build. The group buff is just an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.
  • Telannocturne
    Telannocturne
    ✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    So why is my max magicka only 27k with just one protective and the rest arcane? I guess I'm still confused as to what's used in no cp cyrodil and BG's. Like what stats should you look for in no cp? What set combinations actually work in no cp? Anyone have concrete setups they've used in the past that are good ones? Keep in mind I do almost solely 1v1 and 1vx so transmutation wouldn't be as useful for me in no cp I would think. I'm aiming to be as effective as possible in 1v1 and 1vx as a magplar, I've seen very strong magplars in no cp running axiom and Amber plasm. So I'm thinking I'll either change plasm to shackle for extra Stam because I feel I'm not needing the regen as much. Are there even any experienced no cp open world players around here that do mostly solo??
    May I ask why you don't think Transmutation is not optimal for solo play/1vX? I play solo 99% of the time and Transmutation is still my favorite magplar set because 1) it is one of the very few sources of crit resists in this game 2) it takes care of your defense AND sustain so you can just spec for damage for the rest of your build. The group buff is just an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm sure in cp it's an excellent set, but in no CP people's crit is much lower, so in mind it loses efficiency quite a bit. And while the 1k mag and 129 rec might cover sustain in Cp enabled, I don't think it would be enough in no cp to just build rest into damage. But once again, I don't know enough I'm new to the class. What I'm really asking is what is a dead reliable starting setup for NON CP that I can't go wrong with, a setup that I could use and then decide what I want to change afterwards or what I feel I am lacking or would prefer. I keep asking thoughts on Amber plasm/shackle + axiom + valkyn/pirate/shadowrend. Is this a setup that has everything you need, but isn't focused on any one thing too much? I just want to know where a good place to start is. But like I said before, if you guys play no cp a lot and know a better, robust, well rounded starting setup, that's what I'm here for!
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    in no CP people's crit is much lower
    It's about 30% crit chance in a typical build, not counting the guaranteed crit that NBs get on their snipe or incap. So not counting nightblades, that's at least 1 out of every 3 sources of damage being 50-60% stronger than normal for free, a damage boost bigger than anything else in the game. Being able to give your entire team the ability to reduce that is extremely valuable.
    What I'm really asking is what is a dead reliable starting setup for NON CP that I can't go wrong with
    Heavy Shacklebreaker, Transmutation S&B backbar, Willpower inferno or lightning front bar, and Skoria. Solid defenses, plenty of sustain, about as much group support as anything can have that isn't a pure healer, and surprising kill power.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Telannocturne
    Telannocturne
    ✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    It's about 30% crit chance in a typical build, not counting the guaranteed crit that NBs get on their snipe or incap. So not counting nightblades, that's at least 1 out of every 3 sources of damage being 50-60% stronger than normal for free, a damage boost bigger than anything else in the game. Being able to give your entire team the ability to reduce that is extremely valuable.
    What I'm really asking is what is a dead reliable starting setup for NON CP that I can't go wrong with
    Heavy Shacklebreaker, Transmutation S&B backbar, Willpower inferno or lightning front bar, and Skoria. Solid defenses, plenty of sustain, about as much group support as anything can have that isn't a pure healer, and surprising kill power.

Thanks, i'll try out that setup and see how it goes. Generally I try and avoid heavy armor as a templar just because light gives you so much damage. I might also try light shackle, axiom, and pirate skelly. skeleton for defense in light, axiom for lost dps losing valkyn, and shackle for sustain/stats.
    So hold up, you only have the two piece bonus active for the frontbar willpower? I don't think u can get 5 piece on shackle, trans, and 3 piece on willpower and still run a monster set can you
    Edited by Telannocturne on March 6, 2019 3:32AM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has something happened to Skoria? I had the bright idea to run crescent sweep, solar barrage, and drop in blazing spear on myself pretty much when players clump on me then just sweep away and get skoria procs. Not getting as many procs as I would hope or thought I had success with before.

EDIT: Kind of sticking to the theme of whoever I am fighting unable to purge or reflect. Maybe I should add blockade of frost. Will keep people in spear a little easier.
    Edited by technohic on March 6, 2019 4:31AM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, i'll try out that setup and see how it goes. Generally I try and avoid heavy armor as a templar just because light gives you so much damage. I might also try light shackle, axiom, and pirate skelly. skeleton for defense in light, axiom for lost dps losing valkyn, and shackle for sustain/stats.
    So hold up, you only have the two piece bonus active for the frontbar willpower? I don't think u can get 5 piece on shackle, trans, and 3 piece on willpower and still run a monster set can you

Just the 2pc will power.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • YohanZo
    YohanZo
    @Minno and everyone who knows Templar.

I would like to build my Stamplar around maximizing my damage of Power of the Light. What ways are there of increasing the damage of the explosion?

I know maximum stamina increases the maximum copied value, but does anybody know if penetration affects the explosion and do sets like Slimecraw (+8% dmg done) actually increase the damage of the explosion?

Was thinking of a build using slimecraw and 14 k penetration to maximize my PoL dmg.
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Minno Why do u prefer Innate Axiom vs War Maiden?
    As i see it... Axiom has more stamina instead of 129 Spell Dmg which is great for pvp and is crafted which can be useful for undaunted mettle...
    but you will lose damage in non class skills, which are not so many but even so... Grothdarr (or other offensive masks), mages guild skills, Destro skills, etc

I never crafted Axiom because of this but may change my mind!
    Edited by miteba on March 6, 2019 10:06AM
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @miteba Axiom buffs your class heals, Maiden does not.

You’re right that Axiom doesn’t buff non-class skills, but many of us doesn’t use any non-class skills that scale off spell damage.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    @miteba Axiom buffs your class heals, Maiden does not.

You’re right that Axiom doesn’t buff non-class skills, but many of us doesn’t use any non-class skills that scale off spell damage.

Damn right @casparian thnx^^
    Sometimes we are so focused in some aspects of the game that we tend to forget basic ones!

Ofc healing buffs will be better than more damage in some non-class situational skills! 👊
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YohanZo wrote: »
    @Minno and everyone who knows Templar.

I would like to build my Stamplar around maximizing my damage of Power of the Light. What ways are there of increasing the damage of the explosion?

I know maximum stamina increases the maximum copied value, but does anybody know if penetration affects the explosion and do sets like Slimecraw (+8% dmg done) actually increase the damage of the explosion?

Was thinking of a build using slimecraw and 14 k penetration to maximize my PoL dmg.

Hulking set will boost explosion of POTL since the dmg cap is increased by your max stat. But it's still dependent on your dmg to your target so you'll never see the max dmg unless you roll with a team. Penetration will also let some of that burst dmg go through some armor too.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a stamplar I wouldn’t focus on capping out pol, instead I would focus on getting your weapon damage to a comfortable spot, apply dots and keep up pressure.

High damage and high pressure is where stamplar shines.

If you decide to go off meta with something like snb then id slot puncture and reverb, you’ll kill most people in a 1v1 because it’s very cheesy but you’ll miss out on an aoe execute for outnumbered fights.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Has something happened to Skoria? I had the bright idea to run crescent sweep, solar barrage, and drop in blazing spear on myself pretty much when players clump on me then just sweep away and get skoria procs. Not getting as many procs as I would hope or thought I had success with before.

EDIT: Kind of sticking to the theme of whoever I am fighting unable to purge or reflect. Maybe I should add blockade of frost. Will keep people in spear a little easier.

Thought it's just me. I went back to Bloodspawn today and have barely noticed a damage drop...
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »

Thought it's just me. I went back to Bloodspawn today and have barely noticed a damage drop...

I had it procing on cooldown a day or 2 a go I don't think they changed anything but I was running tons of dots so idk
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had it procing on cooldown a day or 2 a go I don't think they changed anything but I was running tons of dots so idk

Because it's 8% off each dot tick . If you only run one or two there's a chance you'll catch yourself in the cooldown. Also sometimes it procs on that one dude that you don't want to hit so it feels terrible.

Honestly get your defense from monster and use your two 5pc for offense.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Because it's 8% off each dot tick . If you only run one or two there's a chance you'll catch yourself in the cooldown. Also sometimes it procs on that one dude that you don't want to hit so it feels terrible.

In the end for me, it was either heavy with skoria, or light with Bloodspawn. I chose the latter.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to decide whether to go back to BTB/Shackle or get a more specialized damage 5pc. Which sets are performing well lately?
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts on amber plasm on a breton magplar?

I'm thinking of using 5 amber, 5 trans backbar, willpower frontbar, skoria and spell damage jewelry glyphs
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »

I'm thinking of using 5 amber, 5 trans backbar, willpower frontbar, skoria and spell damage jewelry glyphs

Depends. What do your stats look like and do they feel good to you? You are using2 secondary sets that are mostly Regen together on a race that is mostly Regen.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends. What do your stats look like and do they feel good to you? You are using2 secondary sets that are mostly Regen together on a race that is mostly Regen.

Havent tried yet because im at work. Havent played eso for 3 months so I'm a bit out of touch.

I used to run wizard's riposte both bars (post nerf), trans back bar and skoria to great success on an argonian. The main thing im concerned about now is stam sustain hence why im using amber plasm. I could just use the stam morph of rune focus but I use it a lot on pve and would like to avoid resetting the skill every time i switch content.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The high elf spell damage buff would’ve been a buff to snb builds but they also nerfed dw glyphs.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Havent tried yet because im at work. Havent played eso for 3 months so I'm a bit out of touch.

I used to run wizard's riposte both bars (post nerf), trans back bar and skoria to great success on an argonian. The main thing im concerned about now is stam sustain hence why im using amber plasm. I could just use the stam morph of rune focus but I use it a lot on pve and would like to avoid resetting the skill every time i switch content.

Wizard+bright/julianos/shackle with certain enchants should be decent. Let's you use bloodspawn or offensive monster helm.

Amber is great still, paired with shackle/bright/julianos.

Just take any of the base sets I list and mix/match. Don't spend a lot of gold till you finda combination you enjoy.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The high elf spell damage buff would’ve been a buff to snb builds but they also nerfed dw glyphs.

If you usestaff backbar, just use infused beserker enchant. Use shock front; the status effect is better.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you usestaff backbar, just use infused beserker enchant. Use shock front; the status effect is better.

Yeah I thought about that, I just been using poisons on my back bar as of late but looks like I’m going to have to switch it up to get the most out of it.

The shock enchant only procs on light attacks right since I won’t be using any weapon line skills ?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I thought about that, I just been using poisons on my back bar as of late but looks like I’m going to have to switch it up to get the most out of it.

The shock enchant only procs on light attacks right since I won’t be using any weapon line skills ?

Yeah it's kinda a wasted enchant. Could use the heal or shield.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t necessarily agree with having a defensive enchant on your SnB bar. If you’re tryinng to be defensive while on your back bar you’re usually blocking,dodging,backing out of melee range and generally not light weaving.

In contrast, you’re only really weaving SnB light attacks in with your buffs/debuffs if you’re in aggressive mode.

That’s why I like offensive Enchants on the back bar, lighting to proc minor vulnerability, disease to proc minor defile Et Cetera. SnB Enchants are weaker now, but they still have a high chance of applying secondary effects.

(Only relevant if you’re using sword-n-shield for your back bar)
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on March 10, 2019 11:18PM
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t necessarily agree with having a defensive enchant on your SnB bar. If you’re tryinng to be defensive while on your back bar you’re usually blocking,dodging,backing out of melee range and generally not light weaving.

In contrast, you’re only really weaving SnB light attacks in with your buffs/debuffs if you’re in aggressive mode.

That’s why I like offensive Enchants on the back bar, lighting to proc minor vulnerability, disease to proc minor defile Et Cetera. SnB Enchants are weaker now, but they still have a high chance of applying secondary effects.

We’re talking about front bar snb.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually light attack anyways to get procs but I wished they changed it to damage overall too or direst damage.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really find snb good enough for magplar to slot. It just crutches on block-bol too much, which while the only saving Grace of the class, stops you from finding ways to stay offensive.

Resto is better in my opinion:
    -another 15% extra healing onlow health. Literally stacks with Templar mending passive
    - get lights champion. Can cast that than bar swap to offense.
    - combat prayer gives 8 seconds of resist+minor beserk.
    - heavy attack mag Regen.
    - major mending on heavy attack for proactively figuring out if you need extra healing.
    - full enchant value.
    - let's youkeep destro front bar without ice staff or double destro.

And just gives you block mitigation, armor, another armor trait and maybe snb ultimate. But you are kinda stuck on defense to make use of the passives.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really find snb good enough for magplar to slot. It just crutches on block-bol too much, which while the only saving Grace of the class, stops you from finding ways to stay offensive.

Resto is better in my opinion:
    -another 15% extra healing onlow health. Literally stacks with Templar mending passive
    - get lights champion. Can cast that than bar swap to offense.
    - combat prayer gives 8 seconds of resist+minor beserk.
    - heavy attack mag Regen.
    - major mending on heavy attack for proactively figuring out if you need extra healing.
    - full enchant value.
    - let's youkeep destro front bar without ice staff or double destro.

And just gives you block mitigation, armor, another armor trait and maybe snb ultimate. But you are kinda stuck on defense to make use of the passives.

Resto backbar is a fine choice, but it doesn’t play to the magplar toolkit.

The ability to block/HoD is such a powerful defensive tool that it allows you to push hard for offensive stats on the rest of your build. It also gives you a defensive tool that isn’t susceptible to defile (you can’t purge every defile).

The most important thing it does is give the breathing room to recover after taking a full burst. Strong 1v1 players can apply at least 15k damage to a buffed and pvp-geared player during a well-constructed burst window, which is even more dangerous because anyone who’s smart is looking to combo you when you’re not at 100% HP. Healing without blockcasting (especially while defiled) is usually not enough to recover without expending huge amounts of magicka.

You could just resto ult every time your enemy bursts you, but then you’re on the defensive the whole time on account of never getting to ult offensively.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on March 11, 2019 12:13AM