The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Harden ward got buffed last patch and now enables broken builds.

• Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first impression after the shield changes were exactly like the OP's. Tons of Sorcs were squishbags and would die easy. If they could streak all day their damage wasn't that great. I did however run into this one sorc in a BG (no CP's) whose shield was bananas and he hit like a truck. I am sure there is a build out there. Like OP has said it won't become OP until everyone is using it.

P.S. I also play a sorc mostly PVE however.
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    FrankonPC wrote: »
    Perhaps pointing out something, anything really, to show how they're imbalanced and too strong outside of "i couldn't kill them with 4k weapon damage" would help.

Well thats just to illustrate the dmg potential. I have a almost 13k suprise attack tool tip and know how to perfectly animation cancell. So dont you think I should be able to take that shield of? With poison inject and debuffs on this I should be able to touch his health even if he was to spam his shield. But no not a chance unless s/he makes a mistake and you stun at the right time but even then with all that dmg reduction you wont do much untill s/hes up again and recast shield
  • Seenoevil
    Seenoevil
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Seenoevil wrote: »
    5 pieces robes of the hist, protective jewels nirn weapons,
    5 pieces reactive armour all impen
    balorgh/ bloodspawn monster set clever cp allocation

Is this a build to never kill anything again ever?

Annoying to fight though :dizzy:

Suprising how little spell damage sorcs need, a clean burst with curse meteor and cfrag, ele weapon mage wrath will kill majority of players very manageable to do, hitting them with that combo on 4k spell dam, good luck surviving, then back to turtleing, great in duels unsure on openworld
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is some anecdotal *** this thread.
  • Scarpion
    Scarpion
    ✭✭✭
    So you died to a sorc and now you're claiming it's op? Nice
    SDk & MSorc.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Suprising how little spell damage sorcs need, a clean burst with curse meteor and cfrag, ele weapon mage wrath will kill majority of players very manageable to do, hitting them with that combo on 4k spell dam, good luck surviving, then back to turtleing, great in duels unsure on openworld

no just no
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr.NRG wrote: »
    Ender1310 wrote: »
    I'm guessing armor master set/insert damage set here. Some kind of monster helm. Probs blood spawn or Warden for armor buff. Some way to get Major and minor resistance.

Pretty much. There are many ways to do it if with sets and jewelry. The idea is to hit as high as possible resistances(which is easy even in ligh armor) then add minor or major protection while maintaining a high dmg pool. It does take a bit more skill(not much tho) as you have to effectively sustain with heavy attacks pots and so on. Once you know how to sustain you become OP af. There is not much of an counter to that anymore especially if you root spam

Wait - you got killed 1v1 by a sorc that spammed root?

WTF dude.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    I don't know what Hardened Ward your talking about. The one I use gets melted through all the time. Must be that special limited edition Hardened Ward available in the Crown Store.
    ZOS_GinaBruno wrote: »

Sorcerer Shields:
    We spent at least 30 minutes discussing shields. The gist of ZOS’s explanation to us what that they wanted to even the survivability between Stamina and Magicka (the specific example that a Magicka build could spam shields without paying attention to a Boss was used), ZOS wanted sorcerers to make more difficult decision regarding their class defense rather than just stack Magicka and have large shields, and ZOS feels that shields are quite a potent defense mechanic in that they are both excellent reactive and can be used proactively (something Breath of Life cannot do).

Every rep that spoke remarked that sorcerers already have to make difficult decisions with builds because sustain is an issue and lack of bar space, which means they already have trouble securing legit kills in PvP (i.e. not kill stealing by spamming mage’s wrath). We also noted that making shields so they can be critically hit was already a significant nerf that deserved testing on its own, and that the one-second cast-time will get sorcerers killed in a competitive PvP environment. We also said that ZOS has hit sorcerer offensive capability pretty hard the past year, which makes the sort of build diversity they want harder. They acknowledged this and did more than insinuate that sorcerer offense is going to be reformed in the future (at one point, a dev asked out loud if they could be specific. They could not). We told them without these offensive changes it was asking too much to hit the sorcerers with a nerf to their defense first and make them wait for this vague promise in the future. We also mentioned, numerous times, that the mechanic of cast-times is something that is disliked by many people because it breaks the flow of the fluid and ast paced combat that defines ESO. We also went through a bunch of other various reasons that folks on the forums and discords brought up. In short, we pressed and that’s why it lasted over 30 minutes.

With the changes to resistances, having instant cast damage shields is even going to make them even stronger in PvE. We acknowledged this as a potential issue and agreed some adjustment was going to be needed. ZOS seems to be open to refinements and reforms that match their desired goals. The Devs have indicated they are well aware of the feedback, they saw the memes, they know this is a huge change. Some ideas were bounced around. Someone (I forget who) brought up the possibility of lowering the shields to a desired size for PVE and adjusting Battlespirit so they aren’t useless in PvP. My impression is that ZOS is agreeable to making a different sort of adjustment, but they still want to keep their goals of Stamina Vs. Magicka survivability, want some sort of diversity into how sorcerers defend themselves, they don’t want a Magicka build spamming shields while ignoring PvE mechanics. The Devs ended our conversation with the thought whether or not a morph choice would be well received, that is if one morph had a one-second cast time and you got a large shield and another morph which removed the cast-time, but you’d get a smaller shield (the strengths were not mentioned specifically).

Heh I agreed with you just because I play a PvE sorc. However I am sure that there is a PvP build out there that can buff the ward using a ton of resists. I wonder if the guy the op dueled was using heavy or light?

Both work but light is more effective due to the spell pen and since its easy to hit very high resistance even in light. Heavy will help with sustain due to heavy attack passive but you lose quite a bit of dmg so you would have to build around that more and thus actually ending up with a bit lower resistance than in light.

Where it gets really crazy is if you go for a hybrid build running fury and pelinals as you can get 6k plus spell dmg that way. That’s probably gonna be the next broken meta btw for most magic damage dealers.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any-***-thing else you'd like to add to the magsorc nerf list while we're at it? Bring it! You keep nerfing sorcs, and we keep getting better. LMFAO. No one gets better from having it easy, son <---- @Dr.NRG
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consider anyone who still dies to telegraphed sorc burst (of a classic sorc template/skill loadout) at this point in the game to be both:
    1. A subpar player.
    2. Running a subpar template.

I´ll justify my statement in short: Countering sorc burst is the easiest thing to do in the entire game. It´s delayed and telegraphed. Every class has access to hardcounters that counter parts or almost the entirety of that burst.
    I just doesn´t stop there - countering sorc burst is as easy as getting enough effective HP (mitigation + HP) to not die to said burst even if you do everything wrong.
    Edited by Derra on February 11, 2019 6:12PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any-***-thing else you'd like to add to the magsorc nerf list while we're at it? Bring it! You keep nerfing sorcs, and we keep getting better. LMFAO. No one gets better from having it easy, son <---- @Dr.NRG

Actually you are wrong. Every time zos is trying to nerf sorcs they cry out and btch so much that they end up getting buffed in the end. The only real nerf sorcs got was the removal of the stun from frags and the long need dix to rune prison.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much to say here other than l2p. For once I can agree with Mintaka on this.
    Edited by LeifErickson on February 11, 2019 6:16PM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see tanky Sorcs all the time. What I haven't seen is any proof they are exploiting or using some broken combination. The same Sorc's that I cannot kill, cannot kill me without help. The ones that can kill me I can also kill and its simply a matter of who times their burst better.

At this point the OP is no more than a troll, providing anecdotal evidence and claiming some imaginary setup is OP.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually you are wrong. Every time zos is trying to nerf sorcs they cry out and btch so much that they end up getting buffed in the end. The only real nerf sorcs got was the removal of the stun from frags and the long need dix to rune prison.

I beg to differ. We weren't imagining all those nerfs over the years. :D Overload for example.-
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was battling against some good PVP Magsrocs yesterday and I was having trouble getting through their shields, but I don't think it needs a nerf. Most of these players were running harden and a resto staff. Makes it tough to get to their health, but again I don't think it needs a nerf.

I was thinking of sticking more points into Shield damage cp
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ..... Lmfao

No, i play magsorc... I've built with these changes (adapted) tried to make the most of the resist...

I've tried just about everything combination of shackle, impreg, lich, light, heavy, impen, reinforced and health glyphs. along with using lightning form.

I'm weaker than pre murkimire by an insane amount in terms of survivability. I'm basically not scratching anyone running heavy even playing smart and wearing them down. (As if sorc can wear anything down with the weakest sustain in game and 0 pressure)

The crit on shields destroyed magsorc in pvp

The cap destroyed magsorc in pve, there is so much content that I use to be able to do that I'm just flat out dead in. I BEAT vma pre murkimire with 0 trouble up until stage 5. And before I hear "oh your shields were helping to skip mechanic" no, I followed all the information from every guide. Learned those mechanics and avoid them. I can't get past stage 2 now. Not I'm dying a few or many times on stage 2 then beating it like with stage 5 or 7. It is a wall I'm not passing.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please if shields are so op and broken now then revert them back exactly to pre murkimire. Hell Ill even take adding a major minor system too

Maybe the game won't suck anymore
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ezio45
    If you keep or revert changes all these really need is a dogroll treatment so you can cast it a lot but not spam it indefinitely
  • Seenoevil
    Seenoevil
    ✭✭✭

I would consider anyone who still dies to telegraphed sorc burst (of a classic sorc template/skill loadout) at this point in the game to be both:
    1. A subpar player.

I´ll justify my statement in short: Countering sorc burst is the easiest thing to do in the entire game. It´s delayed and telegraphed. Every class has access to hardcounters that counter parts or almost the entirety of that burst.
    I just doesn´t stop there - countering sorc burst is as easy as getting enough effective HP (mitigation + HP) to not die to said burst even if you do everything wrong.

Very very true, absolutely potato farm load out, but then the guy couldn't take down a sorc shield with 4k wep dam and 80% crit modifier on a stam nb,
    and couldn't keep his wings up on a resist capped Dk,

wouldn't surprise me if he either took the combo to the face, or gassed his resources in frustration and again took the combo to the face this time around runecaged
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing armor master set/insert damage set here. Some kind of monster helm. Probs blood spawn or Warden for armor buff. Some way to get Major and minor resistance.

Sorcs get Major/Minor Ward/Resolve running Boundless and slotting Bound Aegis.
    ezio45 wrote: »
    ..... Lmfao

No, i play magsorc... I've built with these changes (adapted) tried to make the most of the resist...

I've tried just about everything combination of shackle, impreg, lich, light, heavy, impen, reinforced and health glyphs. along with using lightning form.

I'm weaker than pre murkimire by an insane amount in terms of survivability. I'm basically not scratching anyone running heavy even playing smart and wearing them down. (As if sorc can wear anything down with the weakest sustain in game and 0 pressure)

The cap destroyed magsorc in pve, there is so much content that I use to be able to do that I'm just flat out dead in. I BEAT vma pre murkimire with 0 trouble up until stage 5. And before I hear "oh your shields were helping to skip mechanic" no, I followed all the information from every guide. Learned those mechanics and avoid them. I can't get past stage 2 now. Not I'm dying a few or many times on stage 2 then beating it like with stage 5 or 7. It is a wall I'm not passing.

The shield changes didn't "destroy" magsorcs in PvE by any means. I'm sure it increased the difficulty of some content for some players, but shields make little difference in most PvE content.

If you can't clear stage 2 of vMA, the problem's got nothing to do with magsorcs or with shields. Not trying to be rude, just being honest. That's 100% a L2P issue. Keep practicing, you'll get better at it. Lots of people run vMA on magicka toons without a shield at all on many rounds.
    Edited by LiquidPony on February 11, 2019 6:33PM
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭

1. A subpar player.

Very very true, absolutely potato farm load out, but then the guy couldn't take down a sorc shield with 4k wep dam and 80% crit modifier on a stam nb,

wouldn't surprise me if he either took the combo to the face, or gassed his resources in frustration and again took the combo to the face this time around runecaged

For the NB there you can see there is a issue with the shield.
    For the DK using wings in a duel is cheesy af same as using cloask. I am good enough that I dont have to do that bs. I never expected the DK to do anything as its not build for dueling and since its an incomplete build as its still a magick race and other. I brought the dk to see how much dmg this guy can do.
    I dont know what this guy was running exactly but my assumption is he was on pelinals and fury which enables one of the most broken build in the game atm especially when it comes to mag dk
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ezio45
    If you keep or revert changes all these really need is a dogroll treatment so you can cast it a lot but not spam it indefinitely

Don't care what they do to it at this point.
  • DKMaestro
    DKMaestro
    ✭✭✭

Pretty much. There are many ways to do it if with sets and jewelry. The idea is to hit as high as possible resistances(which is easy even in ligh armor) then add minor or major protection while maintaining a high dmg pool. It does take a bit more skill(not much tho) as you have to effectively sustain with heavy attacks pots and so on. Once you know how to sustain you become OP af. There is not much of an counter to that anymore especially if you root spam

"Root spam" - what skill lets a magsorc root spam? Please enlighten us. Also - you keep mentioning that getting high resistances are easy, and it is also easy to get minor and major protection... umm what? For a magsorc you can only get major protection via Pirate Skeleton. While it does proc, it is not a constant and reliable buff in a duel.

Anyway - please let us know how he/she, more or less, perma snared you.
    Old man playing. Have a life, a job and only one character, which is grumpy (all the time)
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

Sorcs get Major/Minor Ward/Resolve running Boundless and slotting Bound Aegis.
    ezio45 wrote: »
    ..... Lmfao

The shield changes didn't "destroy" magsorcs in PvE by any means. I'm sure it increased the difficulty of some content for some players, but shields make little difference in most PvE content.

If you can't clear stage 2 of vMA, the problem's got nothing to do with magsorcs or with shields. Not trying to be rude, just being honest. That's 100% a L2P issue. Keep practicing, you'll get better at it. Lots of people run vMA on magicka toons without a shield at all on many rounds.

Ya ik I'm not the best, not saying I am or ever was. Point is that's how shafted I am from the last patch
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Where it gets really crazy is if you go for a hybrid build running fury and pelinals as you can get 6k plus spell dmg that way. That’s probably gonna be the next broken meta btw for most magic damage dealers.

Good thing that their mag pool wouldn't be too big, right? Bollocks. Everyone can run Armor Master/Brass + high resource set, no matter the class. And if a magsorcs perma roots you, he's probably just toying with you anyway.
  • Excelsus
    Excelsus
    ✭✭✭✭

1. A subpar player.

For the NB there you can see there is a issue with the shield.
    For the DK using wings in a duel is cheesy af same as using cloask. I am good enough that I dont have to do that bs.

Apparently you're not.
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    DKMaestro wrote: »

"Root spam" - what skill lets a magsorc root spam? Please enlighten us. Also - you keep mentioning that getting high resistances are easy, and it is also easy to get minor and major protection... umm what? For a magsorc you can only get major protection via Pirate Skeleton. While it does proc, it is not a constant and reliable buff in a duel.

Anyway - please let us know how he/she, more or less, perma snared you.

Unless you dont pvp much you should know how lol as you run into all the time in pvp. The answer is simple, you use an ice staff wich applies chilled on you. On top of that destructive clench will allso apply that and at the same time roots you. Then if you are even cheesier than that you put a wall of ice on top which also roots and snares you. Its so cancerous its not even funny. If you are in a low mobility build you are technically screwed as you can never make it to the sorc unless you gap close. But even then you are still snared and/or rooted to a point where s/he can just walk away from you or streak to create distance again.
    For major, minor protection or minor maime there are many sets that can give you these buffs.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aznox wrote: »
    My NB 4k weap dmg with 10k pen 56% crit chance and 80% crit dmg could not touch this guys health and he had no problem killing me.

So ... you dueled an Impregnable MagSorc with a crit build ?
    Tehn to test I brought a damage dk tank with 30k resistance accross the board and still it took the guy under 10 seconds to kill me.

So ... you died to a MagSorc first or second burst while having near maxed resists .... on a StamDK ? I have bad news for you ...
    You dont get the point. I was dueling the same guy but hes not the only one with this kind of build. Besides the all day top duelers I win 90% of all fights and if I lose I still get them low hp. On top of that I can 1vx up 5 decent gamers. Even if he had impreg on with 4k weap dmg (thats without enchant) and 80% crit dmg 1 to 2 surprise att. should take that shield off easy in a normal scenario.
    For the dk it has 3.9k weap dmg with 1.5k recovery. When you keep being snared and rooted forward momentum wont help you because by the tike you get close the guy will streak and start his crappy rotation over. But anywyas the point im making is that it is possible for mag sorc probably all shield users to be this tanky but still have a ton of dmage and moveability.
    There where other very good duelers on all kind of classes that got wasted by that dude with barly touching his hp.

You dont see this too often yet but you see more and more ppl figuring this build out as you keep running into them. Just wait and see. You probs gotta leave your zerg for abit tho to really experience this...

Besides the fact that its nearly impossible to die to a sorc as a DK tank, dont you think that is a little hypocritical to complain about other people being tanky and doing dmg when you literally admit in the same post that you are playing a freaking tank with hardcapped resistances while having 4k wpn dmg and 1.5 regen?
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didn't Alcast post a build like that a while ago? Yet, you still not encounter many of these.

A tutorial on how to beat pet sorc on duel, no matter how much resist, health and magicka he has.
    1. Die to a petsorc (based on your post, you've already mastered this point)
    2. Equip Shield Breaker
    3. Return to that pet sorc for vengeance.
    4. Some will quickly realise that you are wearing Shield Breaker and Streak to safety (they won't bother you anymore). The slower ones will die.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on February 11, 2019 6:45PM
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanky builds have strong shields. This isn’t a secret. It was written in the patch notes.