The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

is Redguard Necromancer the most lorebreaking thing ZOS has ever introduced?

• IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could say the same about the Nightblade.

Silent murderers, often followers of the path of Sithis. Respected by kings and queens, appreciated for high rank assassinations and espionage.

But the common folk would probably not be keen on doing business with one. However, the Vestige can be a NB.

not even close to the same.
    Options
  • BretonicKnight
    the Fighter's Guild would never do business with one who cavorts with Daedra
    Or Vampires or Werewolves, et cetera. No one said there weren't already lore gaps in gameplay, only that the Redguard Necromancer - as per the name of the thread, is the most lorebreaking yet.

Next up we'll have the Hist Treekiller class and Argonians taking it while the forum rushes to remind us of the treekilling Argonian in ES:Battlespire or somesuch.
    Tristan Montrose - Breton Magicka Nightblade - Destruction Staff / Light Armor (Vampire) | Elandril - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer - Destruction Staff / Light Armor
    Reveals-the-Dawn - Argonian Magicka Templar - Restoration Staff / Light Armor | Mohrvul gro-Betnikh - Orsimer Health Dragonknight - One Hand and Shield / Heavy Armor
    Therondell - Bosmer Agility Warden - Bow / Medium Armor | Zankan Dreloth - Dunmer Stamina Dragonknight - Dual Wield / Medium Armor
    Faheem - Redguard Stamina Sorcerer - Dual Wield / Medium Armor | Kharn-do - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade - Dual Wield / Medium Armor
    Arnswulf - Nord Stamina Warden - Two Handed / Medium Armor (Werewolf) | Claudius Vitruvius - Imperial Health Templar - One Hand and Shield / Heavy Armor
    Options
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or Vampires or Werewolves, et cetera. No one said there weren't already lore gaps in gameplay, only that the Redguard Necromancer - as per the name of the thread, is the most lorebreaking yet.

Next up we'll have the Hist Treekiller class and Argonians taking it while the forum rushes to remind us of the treekilling Argonian in ES:Battlespire or somesuch.

Maybe they rework the whole justice system. Some sorc and NB skills might become a no-no as well. NPCs might react positively to certain skills of the Templer and Warden. WWs in transformation and Vampires froma a certain stage on might become illegal as well.
    Options
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they rework the whole justice system. Some sorc and NB skills might become a no-no as well. NPCs might react positively to certain skills of the Templer and Warden. WWs in transformation and Vampires froma a certain stage on might become illegal as well.

That'd be great. It'd also be great to see the differences in cultural views on necromancy in different zones. Like in Elsweyr they don't care as much as they would in Summerset.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
    Options
  • BretonicKnight

Didn't realize how much I wanted it until you voiced it.
    Tristan Montrose - Breton Magicka Nightblade - Destruction Staff / Light Armor (Vampire) | Elandril - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer - Destruction Staff / Light Armor
    Reveals-the-Dawn - Argonian Magicka Templar - Restoration Staff / Light Armor | Mohrvul gro-Betnikh - Orsimer Health Dragonknight - One Hand and Shield / Heavy Armor
    Therondell - Bosmer Agility Warden - Bow / Medium Armor | Zankan Dreloth - Dunmer Stamina Dragonknight - Dual Wield / Medium Armor
    Faheem - Redguard Stamina Sorcerer - Dual Wield / Medium Armor | Kharn-do - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade - Dual Wield / Medium Armor
    Arnswulf - Nord Stamina Warden - Two Handed / Medium Armor (Werewolf) | Claudius Vitruvius - Imperial Health Templar - One Hand and Shield / Heavy Armor
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could say the same about the Nightblade.

Silent murderers, often followers of the path of Sithis. Respected by kings and queens, appreciated for high rank assassinations and espionage.

But the common folk would probably not be keen on doing business with one. However, the Vestige can be a NB.

Literally no in-game lore around being a Nightblade, nor a stigma in any culture. Redguards are specifically and violently anti-Necromancy. That's the whole plot of their zone.

There are always those who are misfits. I actually have always found TES (encompassing ESO) very forgiving of them....

Yes, of course RG canon is - not friendly (MAJOR understatement there!) about necromancers. However, the game itself (eh -caveat entered - the SPMR games not specifically ESO) are actually divided into separate spheres: what canon says about any given culture - and the fact that PCs can be and do anything they like. Are there sanctions against the TG - and more especially the DB? Yes - but they don't.... prohibit belonging to those factions while still being the "Hero" of whichever game.

There are - disconnects (outside my inability to post during major weather events! sucks to be me!) - each player is "the hero". But depending on one's experience, one may never actually "experience" any of that - it depends on how one chooses to play.... and which game one plays.

Got dc'd in the middle there.... so now don't remember what I further intended to say. Other than.... each of us plays and enjoys the game our own ways. And no one should be dinging any of us for what we find fun.

Or something like that....
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait... who was the redguard necro in the trailer? the guy inside the caged wagon was NOT a redguard, that's Breton hero from original 3 banner war trailers
    Edited by Linaleah on January 16, 2019 4:13AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    wait... who was the redguard necro in the trailer? the guy inside the caged wagon was NOT a redguard, that's Breton hero from original 3 banner war trailers

In the trailer, yes.

In the article:

56d5af46e495bf99ee62d3b24b045f48.jpg
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

In the trailer, yes.

In the article:

56d5af46e495bf99ee62d3b24b045f48.jpg

ah, ok, becasue I kept being thrown by that post complaining about irony that new TRAILER showcased the redguard necro.

in any case, redguard necromancers do exist and they ARE frowned upon by most redguards, and we ARE getting bounty system for necromancing openly, so... I'm not seeing an issue here.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy looks pretty similar to the Warden from the Morrowind trailer.
    Options
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    Are all Khajiits thieves? Are all altmers racist ****s? Are all nords naked drunkards? Are all bosmer respectful of the Green Pact? Are all orcs either warriors or blacksmiths?

Khajiit part is true though.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    Races aren't uniform globs of meat. They're composed of individuals.

Which is why Racials are such a silly idea, but they don't appear to be removing them.

In fact, I could use a worse word for them, but let's go with silly, for now...

Edited by Tigerseye on January 16, 2019 6:15AM
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. Some more diversity.
    Options
  • Sercisil
    Sercisil
    ✭✭
    you already have seen link with a necromancer from skyrim, so...

a redguard necromancer from oblivion: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Jalbert

a redguard necromancer from redguard (yep!):https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Redguard:Iszara (at least, she tried to ressurect that prince during the main plot of the game)

so it's not SO uncommon :D actually, redguard necromancers were almost in all tes games since 1998...
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sercisil wrote: »

a redguard necromancer from redguard (yep!):https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Redguard:Iszara (at least, she tried to ressurect that prince during the main plot of the game)

so it's not SO uncommon :D actually, redguard necromancers were almost in all tes games since 1998...
    I get it but no hero of Tamriel has ever been a Necromancer and especially not a Redguard.

Options
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »

I get it but no hero of Tamriel has ever been a Necromancer and especially not a Redguard.

So? Time for a first, deal with it.
    Options
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well there’s always a first.
    Options
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how so many people take this post as an offense when it was an open ended question.

Is it or isn't it?

So Deal with It.

What your individual character does in his time in ESO isn't apart of the ES cannon anyways, in all the ES game's the only lore that was canon was the guild quest-lines and the main story and the hero about closing the soul breach is always unnamed.

So why any of you think it bothers me is salty for nothing.

I think it's lore breaking for a Redguard to be a Necromancer and hero.

Deal with it.
    Edited by IronWooshu on January 16, 2019 7:21AM
    Options
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main necromancer showcased on the website is a Redguard Necromancer, the same race that absolutely despises Necromancy.

I'd argue that some Altmer not being A-Holes is the most lore breaking thing ZOS have introduced.
    Options
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Skyrim

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Lu'ah_Al-Skaven

ESO

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Abal_the_Defiler

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alasan

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Uwafa

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Shiri
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's almost like the lot of you have never heard of criminals or outsiders.

Yeesh.
    Options
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow im not even a roleplayer and i know that in the alik'r quest you have redguard necromancers.

IMAGINE an entire race of people not behaving exactly the same and having differing opinions. Crazy. It's almost like races aren't blob hiveminds that have no individuality.
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
    Options
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally the first dungeon you go into after escaping the sewers in Oblivion has a Redguard Necromancer called Jalbert as its boss. There's even a letter explaining things in more depth.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
    Options
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow im not even a roleplayer and i know that in the alik'r quest you have redguard necromancers.

IMAGINE an entire race of people not behaving exactly the same and having differing opinions. Crazy. It's almost like races aren't blob hiveminds that have no individuality.

Exactly people judge me in one way because I do not participate in various activities and it's like bruh, I field here. God damn. lol
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So you're saying ZOS has no governing rules? Whatever they make regardless is law and now LORE? I mean they could spawn another dragon break and bring forth another Dovakin, right?

No, they have no governing rules, why would they?

If you write something you get to decide what you write.

People may object, or take their business elsewhere, but it's ultimately your creation.

Obviously, if you decide to make your plot twists too ridiculous, or your story too inconsistent, you may end up upsetting people and therefore, lose some readers/players/fans; but, it's still entirely up to you, if you want to risk that.

Normally, in a commercial venture, they would weigh up the pros and cons of various options and the plot would tend to take the path predicted most likely to please/entertain the most people.

You as a player/fan have the right to point it out, if you find a suggestion/development illogical, or otherwise displeasing; but, you (obviously) don't have the right to demand they don't do it.

Not only that, but this is fantasy we're talking about.

Meaning it's far easier for them to make up some sort of plot device to make pretty much anything possible, if they feel like it.
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 16, 2019 8:15AM
    Options
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    That guy looks pretty similar to the Warden from the Morrowind trailer.

You think they can afford to pay a new model every time a class comes out? Money is tight, bro!
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
    Options
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguards have deviants too.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
    Options
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main necromancer showcased on the website is a Redguard Necromancer, the same race that absolutely despises Necromancy.

there will be a new race too, undead, only available for necro-class........... problem solved
    Options
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »

there will be a new race too, undead, only available for necro-class........... problem solved

I called the new race +1.

Everything was in additional. And I appreciated that very much
    Options
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again the Withered Hand was created by ZOS not Bethesda and were never mentioned in any Redguard lore before ZOS began ESO, at least to my knowledge.

Putting aside the fact that, as other others have mentioned, ZOS works with the Bethesda lore team directly and everything in ESO is canon: there were Redguard necromancers all the way back in TESII. Also, cultural taboos ≠ an inability to do something. Yes, most Redguards distrust most magic (though that hasn't always been the case), but that certainly doesn't mean that outcasts of that society CAN'T do magic. In fact, the whole "hatred of magic, especially necromancy" specifically came about BECAUSE Redguards have abused magic in the past: Yokuda was destroyed by Hiradirge stone magic, for example.

So, yeah, Redguards can absolutely practice magic, and even necromancy. It turns out that people who are willing to summon corpses from the ground and defile the souls of the dead in the pursuit of personal power don't much care about social or cultural taboos. Shocking, I know.
    Edited by OrdoHermetica on January 16, 2019 10:28AM
    Options