The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

is Redguard Necromancer the most lorebreaking thing ZOS has ever introduced?

• Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, most Redguards hate necromancy. It's like saying that one political party can't agree with the other political party. Or one person in a religion can't renounce their beliefs.

You always have the outliers.

Perfect example from D&D (yes, I know Elder Scrolls isn't the same): Drizzt Do'Urden (a drow that supposedly hates all overlanders) renounces his heritage to seek a life that does "good" for mankind.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Valamist
    Valamist
    ✭✭✭
    One of the joys about games like this is we can give out characters their own history and personality. They do not have to follow their races traditions. My Orc hates the idea of strongholds and how they chain all those involved, and my main, a Bosmer, would gleefully eat a cabbage in front of her Green Patch following kin. Not all Redguards would be baught up in Hammerfell, and even those who do can stray from their cultural norms. A move like this does not brake lore for me, it opens it up.
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please read the Race-stats changes.

There will be no Redguard Necromancers unless one is a Flagellant.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda want to make a Redguard necromancer called The Priest Of Judas and run around singing 'Breaking the lore, breaking the lore'.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know some people just want their magic powers and zombies and such... but I think that an MMO needs to remain true to the lore of the setting. Necromancy is not tolerated in many of the cultures of the game, and using necromantic powers within sight of civilians or guards should incur a penalty.

Now, I'm also of the opinion that if you are using an ability that incurs a penalty, it should be commensurately more powerful.

Is it lore breaking that there might be Dunmer or Redguard necromancers? Not at all. I'm sure there are many of them. Are they tolerated? Not at all. Guards and civilians should respond to them as they would any other criminal.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    I know some people just want their magic powers and zombies and such... but I think that an MMO needs to remain true to the lore of the setting. Necromancy is not tolerated in many of the cultures of the game, and using necromantic powers within sight of civilians or guards should incur a penalty.

Now, I'm also of the opinion that if you are using an ability that incurs a penalty, it should be commensurately more powerful.

Is it lore breaking that there might be Dunmer or Redguard necromancers? Not at all. I'm sure there are many of them. Are they tolerated? Not at all. Guards and civilians should respond to them as they would any other criminal.

Maybe a buff inside cities for questing and outside of dueling? Would be cool. During war, PvP mass scale, they can't be OP though.
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    The main necromancer showcased on the website is a Redguard Necromancer, the same race that absolutely despises Necromancy.

Umm... Are you trying to say EVERY person in a particular race is EXACTLY the same?
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There were Redguard necromancers in Howling Cave in Oblivion.So they did show up before Online.
    Source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Necromancer

And as others said not all race members must conform to racial stereotypes. There are Nord mages, Breton thieves etc.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »

I forgot to say, this should be the case with Vampires too, and werewolves who appear AS werewolves in public.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main necromancer showcased on the website is a Redguard Necromancer, the same race that absolutely despises Necromancy.

The lady who guides you through Fang Lair is a Redguard necromancer.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Asmael wrote: »
    Are all Khajiits thieves? Are all altmers racist ****s? Are all nords naked drunkards? Are all bosmer respectful of the Green Pact? Are all orcs either warriors or blacksmiths?
    Then you enter Reaper's march you get ordered by an Bosmer to burn down an town and forest.
    He will also tell you how far you can stuff the green pact in an war zone.

Khajiit guards give this one no slack the caught stealing.

That's only because you weren't skillful enough to not get caught. Shame on you.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For every rule, there are exceptions.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alaztor91 wrote: »
    That guy looks pretty similar to the Warden from the Morrowind trailer.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw him.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Thalmor-Nordmaster
    Thalmor-Nordmaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait wut? sober nords bullshizzle. potato kings are a bunch of drunks. Cute drunks in dire need of AA and nothing less than the total destruction of the Meaderys will do!! I think I wiil have a talk with some other mer to see if we can get an embassy up north to ensure the destruction of the mead manufacturing locations. Time to sober up Nords you got mudcrabs to train.

• Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, said but the way its going to show in game is: there are going to be a lot more redguard necromancers then redguard good guys (i.e. non werewolf, non vampire, no members of thieve guild or /and dark brotherhood) and that is NOT lore.

• ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lol nah 3+ dragons bring released on the world 1k yrs before skysim is

dont care that its lore breaking, have fun zos. Just buff sorc
  • Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    Ash_In_My_Sujamma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »

Well, said but the way its going to show in game is: there are going to be a lot more redguard necromancers then redguard good guys (i.e. non werewolf, non vampire, no members of thieve guild or /and dark brotherhood) and that is NOT lore.

Well, atm in game you see numerous people riding luminescent mounts. Makes no sense lorewise. So I just think that number of redguard necros will be one of the least lore breaking things in eso :)
  • mxxo
    mxxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Times Khajiits getting Mag Upgrades while Bosmer don´t, nothing seems odd to me anymore.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my reading, red guards are one of the most prone races to be necromancers

Dunmer and Bosmer seem to hate it more
    Altmer has necromancy more as an elitist thing reserved for only the most aristocratic
    Imperial is the most accepting of necromancy
    Argonians are more extensions of the Hist and the Hist seems rather devoid of necromancy in any direction
    Nords aren't very magical usually to begin with
    Red Guards have such a reverence for the dead that they abhor necromancy... Or can be lured by it

Just some thoughts
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see where this is coming from and I appreciate it, but we've got a lot of Redguard necromancers in the lore.

Them being hated fits with the whole Redguard theme of societal repression vs. innovation vs. good tradition.

Go play the Alik'r questline again and it will be more clear.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone's made this point yet but you don't go to that much effort to outlaw something no one does anyway.

Based on the entire storyline of the Alik'r zone Hammerfell has a long history of a lot of problems with necromancers, so much so that they've gone to extreme lengths to prevent necromancy in future, including the creation of the Ansei Wards which stop corpses in Alik'r being resurrected and the creation of an entire order to fight necromancers and their minions when they appear. And yes a lot of that is tied into their reverence for the dead which makes necromancy more offensive to them than to many other people, but even if you absolutely cannot stand the idea of something happening you don't actually go to that much effort to stop it unless you have reason to believe someone might do it. (For example see all the real-life laws protecting children which are relatively recent - did people in the past not care what happened to their kids, or did they not believe anyone would threaten them?)

So yes, the redguards as a people are absolutely opposed to necromancy. But that does not rule out individual redguards becoming necromancers. We see redguard necromancer NPCs in the base game story and there's all kinds of reasons a player redguard might become a necromancer. Maybe they were raised outside Hammerfell? Maybe a lot of outsiders visited the place they grew up? Maybe they simply decided their culture is wrong? Maybe they're evil and doing it because it's considered one of the worst, most offensive things they could ever do?

And as for possible numbers of necromancer redguard PCs I agree with the idea that multiple player characters is not canon anyway, after all we can't all be the one Vestige that helped the Five Companions and played a major role in ending Molag Bal's attack. (Even if that will be reduced to "a stranger rumoured to have helped in some way" by the time the history books are written if past TES games are anything to go by. And then, if past TES games are anything to go by, those history books will be lost or destroyed within a few hundred years.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a bunch more than like 2 or 3 Dragons in the 2nd era comes to mind as probably the biggest lore break I can think of
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone's made this point yet but you don't go to that much effort to outlaw something no one does anyway.

Based on the entire storyline of the Alik'r zone Hammerfell has a long history of a lot of problems with necromancers, so much so that they've gone to extreme lengths to prevent necromancy in future, including the creation of the Ansei Wards which stop corpses in Alik'r being resurrected and the creation of an entire order to fight necromancers and their minions when they appear. And yes a lot of that is tied into their reverence for the dead which makes necromancy more offensive to them than to many other people, but even if you absolutely cannot stand the idea of something happening you don't actually go to that much effort to stop it unless you have reason to believe someone might do it. (For example see all the real-life laws protecting children which are relatively recent - did people in the past not care what happened to their kids, or did they not believe anyone would threaten them?)

So yes, the redguards as a people are absolutely opposed to necromancy. But that does not rule out individual redguards becoming necromancers. We see redguard necromancer NPCs in the base game story and there's all kinds of reasons a player redguard might become a necromancer. Maybe they were raised outside Hammerfell? Maybe a lot of outsiders visited the place they grew up? Maybe they simply decided their culture is wrong? Maybe they're evil and doing it because it's considered one of the worst, most offensive things they could ever do?

And as for possible numbers of necromancer redguard PCs I agree with the idea that multiple player characters is not canon anyway, after all we can't all be the one Vestige that helped the Five Companions and played a major role in ending Molag Bal's attack. (Even if that will be reduced to "a stranger rumoured to have helped in some way" by the time the history books are written if past TES games are anything to go by. And then, if past TES games are anything to go by, those history books will be lost or destroyed within a few hundred years.)

Also there's Bahraha from the old Ra Gada days in Hew's Bane. He was the necromancer uncle of Prince Hew who had his tomb constructed to amplify necromantic energies and was planning on conquering all of Hew's Bane. That's why he's sealed in that delve.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • lzzy
    lzzy
    ✭✭✭
    Disregarding past evidence, as that's already been discussed, the vestige is one of the biggest exceptions in this game. The wide range of feats you manage throughout the story make practicing Necromancy effortlessly justifiable with a line as simple as "Because I feel like it."

You're already a Mary Sue, this isn't really that big of a deal compared to anything else we've done. An individual like the vestige can't be held to such paltry scrutiny as what school of magic they decide to practice.
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing lorebreaking about it. Necromancer's are everywhere, and no ppl have the same customs according to their race, no matter what race they are..
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In response to your title alone:

LOL not even close....
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Is it or isn't it?

No. It isn't. It would be lore breaking for their society to be accepting or based around necromancy, but an individual? Don't be silly.

• Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned Falion yet? the master level necromancer redguard in Skyrim?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned Falion yet? the master level necromancer redguard in Skyrim?

Oh.... hmm. I thought he was Dunmer?
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Oh.... hmm. I thought he was Dunmer?

nope, he's a Redguard.
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Falion_(Skyrim)