Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Snipe changes PLEASE

• Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Gnozo wrote: »
    Thats not remotely balanced, it should be: higher risk, higher reward. And the risk by using snipe is nearly 0 und the reward is way to high for this.

The risk using snipe is only 0 if

A, you made a build that has no ranged capability, which is on you, and
    B, you are the only enemy capable of attacking the sniper (which is rarely true)

So yes. It is possible to artificially construct a scenario in which the risk of using snipe is 0. But in most practical situations, the safety of range is an illusion.

Most melee builds have no range capability. Stamdk, StamWarden have literally nothing to close the gap to a cloaked sniper. Stamplar may have spear to cc the sniper and try to run to him but mostly the sniper is long gone before he reaches him.

Snipe is just to strong in combination with cloak/stealth.

Of course melee builds have no range capability, thats why they are melee builds. That does not mean snipe is too strong however, that just means you made yourself weak to it.

In other words, don't make a melee build and then complain people attack you from range.

I didnt complain they attack me from range. I did complain about snipe overperforming in combination with cloak.

Ignoring the fact that this still causes health desync it is possible to shoot 2 snipes from stealth without the target known for the huge incoming damage and just cloak away before your target breaks the CC. There is no counterplay for it cause you never know when it will come. And no class can sustain 24/7 Wings or shimmering just to counter a sniper who may or may not hides completly save in stealth charging snipe on you.

I just don't see what the problem is. You can make a melee build capable of wiping zergs in seconds with DB+shalks+execute. Yet when you can not kill a single sniper who shoots you twice and then runs away it makes him overperforming? I mean, really...

Just cause DB + Shalks + Execute can wipe some pugs and is indeed strong doesnt make snipe less overperforming.

Actually yes, yes it does. You are complaining about a peashooter while dropping A-bombs left and right.

IF I CAN NOT KILL IT IT IS OVERPERFORMING is the message you are sending here. All the while you are orbiting a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps. Absolutely no sympathy here.

Oh, you know me ingame or how can you tell i do this?

It was a manner of speaking. In plain speak: In a game where one can orbit a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps, another being able to get away after shooting twice is of no consequence.

I read it like you directly mean you, cause you were constantly saying "you".

Ofc, these stamden bombs are strong and overperforming, same like snipe in combination with cloak.

Only cause other overperforming things in a game exist doesnt make snipe less overperforming. I dont get your arguments here
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haters gonna hate 😎
    https://youtu.be/w1GqBjdXX2Q
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats not remotely balanced, it should be: higher risk, higher reward. And the risk by using snipe is nearly 0 und the reward is way to high for this.

B, you are the only enemy capable of attacking the sniper (which is rarely true)

So yes. It is possible to artificially construct a scenario in which the risk of using snipe is 0. But in most practical situations, the safety of range is an illusion.

Most melee builds have no range capability. Stamdk, StamWarden have literally nothing to close the gap to a cloaked sniper. Stamplar may have spear to cc the sniper and try to run to him but mostly the sniper is long gone before he reaches him.

Of course melee builds have no range capability, thats why they are melee builds. That does not mean snipe is too strong however, that just means you made yourself weak to it.

In other words, don't make a melee build and then complain people attack you from range.

I didnt complain they attack me from range. I did complain about snipe overperforming in combination with cloak.

Ignoring the fact that this still causes health desync it is possible to shoot 2 snipes from stealth without the target known for the huge incoming damage and just cloak away before your target breaks the CC. There is no counterplay for it cause you never know when it will come. And no class can sustain 24/7 Wings or shimmering just to counter a sniper who may or may not hides completly save in stealth charging snipe on you.

I just don't see what the problem is. You can make a melee build capable of wiping zergs in seconds with DB+shalks+execute. Yet when you can not kill a single sniper who shoots you twice and then runs away it makes him overperforming? I mean, really...

Just cause DB + Shalks + Execute can wipe some pugs and is indeed strong doesnt make snipe less overperforming.

Actually yes, yes it does. You are complaining about a peashooter while dropping A-bombs left and right.

IF I CAN NOT KILL IT IT IS OVERPERFORMING is the message you are sending here. All the while you are orbiting a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps. Absolutely no sympathy here.

It was a manner of speaking. In plain speak: In a game where one can orbit a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps, another being able to get away after shooting twice is of no consequence.

Ofc, these stamden bombs are strong and overperforming, same like snipe in combination with cloak.

Only cause other overperforming things in a game exist doesnt make snipe less overperforming. I dont get your arguments here

How exactly is one player being able to get away after shooting twice "overperforming"?

That's my argument.

Where is it written that a ranged attacker MUST always be 100% catchable after he initiates an attack at long range(even if his target has no long range capability to retaliate), or else be considered overperforming?
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say leave snipe as is. I don't use it or anything but if snipe was nerfed all those snipe spammers I get in pugs would be doing even less damage.
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How exactly is one player being able to get away after shooting twice "overperforming"?

That's my argument.

Where is it written that a ranged attacker MUST always be 100% catchable after he initiates an attack at long range(even if his target has no long range capability to retaliate), or else be considered overperforming?

You know, the game needs soft counters for everything.

Look the Video from Icky. 2 shots are enough to kill players with 27k hp. And thats from a huge range. Even if the targets manages to survive he wont catch him cause its nearly impossible for a melee build to close the gap before the sniper vanish into stealth again. There he prepares the next ambush completly save.

Even he manages to close the gap in time he will be prolly low hp cause he eat 2 snipes and has Major defile on him. Ez win for the nightblade, incap or DB and back into stealth.

This isnt overperforming?

Compare it to stamden hugging a Rock. The times of rocket speed are long over, thanks to nerfmire. His Shalks + DB requires to stand infront of the enemy exposing himself, if they didnt died at the dump they are completly free to directly attack him cause he is melee and doesnt have the benefits of range, also there isnt a big surprise moment where the targets are even unaware of the stamwardens present.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's my argument.

You know, the game needs soft counters for everything.

The game *does* have soft (hell, hard even) counters for everything. Try to play that sniper for a while. First enemy you shoot will dodge all your snipes, not because he saw it coming, but because he is already fighting someone else and dodge rolling like a monkey by default. The second is a DK, and you didn't kill yourself just because you had the good mind to dodge roll your own snipes. Third is a warden who will thank you for the ult and be on his merry way. Fourth is a sorc who you might have killed if not for the enemy NB who just oneshot you with an incap/execute.

The fact that you, with your melee-only build(i mean that in general sense again btw), can not *personally* be a threat to that sniper 40m away does not mean the sniper has no counters.

• Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be a direct nerf to stamblades. It’ll never happen.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You should have to aim down sights like its an fps if you bowtards want to keep it the way it is right now

One of the worst ideas ever. People have such god awful internet.

Have you ever seen a Brazilian on a US server?

Good luck aiming in on that. ;)
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about everyone just run as DKs and use wings. Let the snipe spammers kill themselves.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • technohic
      technohic
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      How about everyone just run as DKs and use wings. Let the snipe spammers kill themselves.

I've got 1 of these for some group play and then turned my NB into my own little bowtard with mark to may try to go hunting. Might be my very own bounty hunting system , although might be better to go melee like that and gap close.
      Edited by technohic on January 11, 2019 2:24PM
    • Karmanorway
      Karmanorway
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Bashev wrote: »
      The moment the player start casting snipe, he/she should lose invisibility.

And the duration he cant cloack should be +1 sec for each meter between enemy and victim when the snipe was cast :D
    • Sheuib
      Sheuib
      ✭✭✭✭
      To make snipe effective you have to build as a total glass cannon. Even then it is only a serious threat against other total glass cannons. If you are constantly being taken out by snipers you may have to reevaluate your build.

The dps output of snipe isn't any better than spamming any other skill except it is in burst form instead of steady dps. There are only a handful of snipers out there that are truly effective with the skill and they do it by weaving in other attacks as well.
    • Sheuib
      Sheuib
      ✭✭✭✭
      Katahdin wrote: »
      Aurielle wrote: »
      No
      L2P please

Are you a Snipe spammer? If so, that request is hella ironic. ;)

I use lethal arrow, but I don't "spam" it. A one second cast time is hardly spam. I use it mosly around keeps to counter range attacts on the seige line. And unless the person is low health already or in all light divines with less than 16k health, they aren't gona die. If you're full health and dying to snipe it's L2P.

They do need to fix the desync though, which is the real issue.
      proteinexe wrote:
      No nerf of damage, but an increase cost like you said - just like streak

You mean the streak that a mag sorc can spam 5-6 times at least? Don't tell me they can't because I've played mag sorc and have done it many times.

Bow is the only damn ranged stamina option, of which 2 skills are even useful in pvp.

Let's nerf reach, crushing shock, mages wrath, radient destruction, javlin and every single ranged magicka ability in the same way you propose for bow

You have got to be kidding. Stam builds so out perform magicka builds it is pathetic. That is why the majority of pvpers are playing a stam build.
    • OneKhajiitCrimeWave
      OneKhajiitCrimeWave
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The big issue with snipe is the health desync/animation desync associated with it. Without that then the odd sniper would get people, but nowhere near as much.

And players know this. On xb EU Vivec last night there was a group of about 20 EP spamming snipe on repeat every keep fight.
      Luckily they thought stacking together was the smart option so we may have given them a few... tag team tether bombs to stop the arrows for a while.
      Dark Flare is the Beginning, Radiant is the End. Hail the Light Bringers!
    • Katahdin
      Katahdin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sheuib wrote: »
      Aurielle wrote: »
      No
      L2P please

Are you a Snipe spammer? If so, that request is hella ironic. ;)

I use lethal arrow, but I don't "spam" it. A one second cast time is hardly spam. I use it mosly around keeps to counter range attacts on the seige line. And unless the person is low health already or in all light divines with less than 16k health, they aren't gona die. If you're full health and dying to snipe it's L2P.

They do need to fix the desync though, which is the real issue.
      proteinexe wrote:

You mean the streak that a mag sorc can spam 5-6 times at least? Don't tell me they can't because I've played mag sorc and have done it many times.

Bow is the only damn ranged stamina option, of which 2 skills are even useful in pvp.

Let's nerf reach, crushing shock, mages wrath, radient destruction, javlin and every single ranged magicka ability in the same way you propose for bow

You have got to be kidding. Stam builds so out perform magicka builds it is pathetic. That is why the majority of pvpers are playing a stam build.

Nope not kidding. People want to nerf the crap out of the only stamina ranged option then I want magickas range damage nerfed to oblivion too.

Then we can all wear heavy armor and "fight like men" in melee range.
      Edited by Katahdin on January 11, 2019 3:07PM
      Beta tester November 2013
    • Jameliel
      Jameliel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      A friend and I were debating this today. She was saying that in bg's, she can find a spot, hit one button and get many kills without using any "skill". My first counter was that the people who die easily from this are either already low on health, or simply have very low resists and or health. Next she had another argument that if you can time snipe with incap just right its basically an instakill.(that takes a lot of skill to pull off). Where all these self-proclaimed snipe experts who don't even have a sniper come up with their ideas is baffling.

I challenged her to outfit a sniper and come kill me. It's for certain that if you have decent resists/health and are aware, that 9/10 times if a sniper tries to kill you with snipe and you're not hit with lag desync(which can and does happen with many attack skills), then they either have to cloak and run, or they usually get smashed. It's possible to make decent melee/ranged builds, but I have yet to see someone dominating with both. People complaining about snipe think everyone should play the same as they do. Dying to snipe often is an actual Learn 2 Play issue. I'm far from being one of the best players in ESO, and it's still obvious to me from lots of practical experience playing on a sniper and vs many snipers.
    • Kidgangster101
      Kidgangster101
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      To be honest a lot of these problems with damage we are having is due to the community. People want moves nerfed all the time such as breath of life or tanky type moves because their "damage isn't enough to break through them in 2-3 hits". This right here is the problem.

DPS shouldn't be able to kill tanks fast (tanks is other pvp games just get ignored they just annoy people but in this game especially in battlegrounds tanks die very fast lol)

A healer should be able to heal better than they do (I watched a video of a nb syferpk I think his name was where he was mad because he couldn't gank a templar in 6 hits as a NB in imperial sewers) so what happened was a Nerf to healing because he was a famous streamer.

So what we get is a meta where damage on all moves kill people in a few hits and the counter people have is everyone trying to wear heavy armor and now the DPS complain about that lol.

The solution here is to make all roles viable and learn how to fight them that way we can actually have pvp. This is the meta the community wanted! Pew pew pew

But onto snipe the move is very very strong because of it's range. It is even more powerful because of cloak. NB can defend it all they want but if they Nerf it they will just move to the next cheese thing. The only way it will ever be fixed is if all damage is turned down inside pvp so people don't get one shotted anymore.
    • Banana
      Banana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nerf cloak
    • D0PAMINE
      D0PAMINE
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      The only time I really bother using snipe is to force people away from the keep walls, whether they're at the bottom or top. If anything, I have better odds of one shotting with the Bow Ult on laggy players, and my bow ult isnt even morphed.
      Edited by D0PAMINE on January 12, 2019 10:28PM
    • Raudgrani
      Raudgrani
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Who actually dies to snipe so often that it drives them to create topics such as this? Ffs., it happens occasionally - but it's nowhere as unavoidable as Steel Tornado/Subassault/Dawnbreaker or Northern Storm. Several people snipe you - dodgeroll, several people do this, and you have a death recap filled with all the same abilities.

Most of the time, you hear the snipe sound - and you dodgeroll, tadaa. Nothing to cry about.
    • Thorvarg
      Thorvarg
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
    • EmEm_Oh
      EmEm_Oh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Look I'm not saying to nerf the move, but the spamming on it is a little out of hand. I mean, you cry that we spam SHIELDS and they are OP, so here we go again with a move that is OP spammable and you defend it? OK here's my proposal.

Snipe
      Plant a masterfully aimed arrow into an enemy's vital spot, dealing X Physical Damage. (Nerf initial damage by 15%) Activating this ability within 1.5 seconds increases the cost by 20%.

Focused Aim
      Increase damage by up to 15% based on distance to target.

Lethal Arrow
      No change

LET THE HATE BEGIN

I don't hate. But just practice more. When I first started, I was frustrated as a few players targeted me all the time. Eventually, I learned to not be predictable. Rode my horse in ways where it was difficult to snipe and take aim, etc.

Then I also created a sniper. They are useful for certain toons where you can't get up close or they completely destroy you. That's the purpose of a sniper/stamblade, imo.

My suggestion, don't nerf this class. Experiment with different sets, etc. Don't get used to your "comfortable" set. Explore more.
    • KhajiitFelix
      KhajiitFelix
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Mintaka5 wrote: »
      Remove stealth nightblades from game completely. Problem solved

As they are to it, remove sorcerers also, at least all the pets and the spammable lightning ability.

Is absurd to complain about Snipe, when it takes 6-7 people to kill magicka sorcerers these days. Even at low level campaign, a level 40 mag Sorcerer needs whole group to 10 to kill him and still takes many minutes.

What year is it?
    • EmEm_Oh
      EmEm_Oh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      proteinexe wrote:

This isn't spamming. I use a sorc as well. It uses however much max magicka you have and depletes from there. You cannot spam streak. Period. I'd like to see somebody try it. If you have lower magicka...you can only streak a few times. Streak is MEANT to be used one after another in fighting situations. NB have their disappearing act, and sorcs have their streaking act. DKs and Templars can pretty much stay put, depending on how you run those.
      Edited by EmEm_Oh on January 12, 2019 9:04PM
    • Facefister
      Facefister
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Hate it or not, Snipe adds to build diversity. Today you remove Snipe, what comes tomorrow?
    • CaliMade
      CaliMade
      ✭✭✭✭
      Maybe they should do something about the players purposely exploiting the desync glitch with this skill.

I dont give a damn what skill you use, if you cast that skill 3-4 times, that singular skill needs to respect the GCD in this game.
      Broken POS doesn’t even respect its own cast time. it should take 8 seconds to cast 4 snipes(given the 1 second GCD and 1 second cast time). No way in hell they should all hit at once.

Snipe isn’t overpowered, its Broken

Fix how this skill registers hits.

Until Wrobel or Rich or anyone who is in the combat team tell me that snipe is working as intended, when you can time them just right at max range so they can all hit at once with no sound que or prior warning, then there is no debate to be had.

This is not a playstyle, its an exploit until im told its not.

Don nerf snipe, Fix it.

I wish my opinion mattered, but it doesn’t. :/

XB1 GT- Cali Made

Praetorian Stam DK Redguard

Brigadier Stam/magblade (whatever i feel like running) Redguard

Major Mag DK Dark Elf

lieutenant Mag/stamplar (whatever i feel like running) Redguard
    • Kingslayer513
      Kingslayer513
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Look I'm not saying to nerf the move, but the spamming on it is a little out of hand. I mean, you cry that we spam SHIELDS and they are OP, so here we go again with a move that is OP spammable and you defend it? OK here's my proposal.

Snipe
      Plant a masterfully aimed arrow into an enemy's vital spot, dealing X Physical Damage. (Nerf initial damage by 15%) Activating this ability within 1.5 seconds increases the cost by 20%.

Focused Aim
      Increase damage by up to 15% based on distance to target.

Lethal Arrow
      No change

LET THE HATE BEGIN

I propose baby steps - just give it the streak treatment. Casting again within 4 seconds increases the cost by 50%. There, that puts it in line with the 4 seconds of major defile it applies. If someone wants to snipe spam, well then they better have a LOT of stamina. It's absolutely absurd that there is currently a spam ability that applies ranged major defile every time with no downside.
    • GlorphNoldorin
      GlorphNoldorin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The ability to counter snipe is severely diminished with lag and being on anything but low ping. It has been around for a long while. However draining shot is far worse in my opinion.

The increased range and the very long two part stun with lag has made snipe so much more potent. The animation of the draining shot knock back and then the stun/snare takes a very long time especially with ping over 300. In that time it appears that two snipes can be sent with no time to react.

Draining shot was balanced previously in that the range was 10m. Making it 40m+........... another classic move from our game designers, doing stuff that was originally balanced by people who knew far better than they.

Looking forward to the next round of 'balance' changes that wont add balance from devs who have no idea.
    • Sharee
      Sharee
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      CaliMade wrote: »

I dont give a damn what skill you use, if you cast that skill 3-4 times, that singular skill needs to respect the GCD in this game.
      Broken POS doesn’t even respect its own cast time. it should take 8 seconds to cast 4 snipes(given the 1 second GCD and 1 second cast time). No way in hell they should all hit at once.

They should not hit at once, but that's not how GCD works.

GCD starts when you activate a skill(press the button), not when the skill finishes casting. That means it should take 4.4 seconds to cast 4 snipes (a snipe has a 1.1 sec cast time). The GCD plays no role in this, because the cast time is longer than GCD, so the GCD from casting first snipe will be already cleared by the time you start casting the second one.
    • fullheartcontainer
      fullheartcontainer
      ✭✭✭✭
      I've said it in a few threads, but I'd love to see snipe become a skill based ability. Keep it at the same damage. Keep the huge range for it.

Add a large minimum range for it, like 30m. Under 30m you cannot use the ability.

Add that you must keep reticle on target until it hits, like uppercut. This is sniping.