The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Snipe changes PLEASE

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exodium wrote: »
    Honestly if you have snipe on your bar you're basically admitting to yourself that you're pathetic at the game, have no intention to learn a dynamic rotation and enjoy getting tbagged 24/7.

There's no justification to using an ability that is broken atm - a 40m ability that hits like a dizzying swing plus desyncs was pretty much designed with the intention to cater for people born without thumbs.

Note: Never refer to snipe as a 'skill' when you refer to it because there's nothing 'skillful' about using it. So just call it an 'ability.'

Nermind - not worth it.

Yeah it's not worth embarrassing yourself and basically exposing yourself as a zergling.

Go on any decent PvPers stream on Twitch and tell them snipe is balanced please. I'd love to see your opinion be undermined in an instant.

Doesn't surprise me that there's people on the forums who defend snipe and your opinion though. Then again the same people probably justify earthgore and sloads as balanced.

No, what he meant is its not worth it to waste time arguing with toxic trash. And that's you, in case it wasn't clear.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly if you have snipe on your bar you're basically admitting to yourself that you're pathetic at the game, have no intention to learn a dynamic rotation and enjoy getting tbagged 24/7.

There's no justification to using an ability that is broken atm - a 40m ability that hits like a dizzying swing plus desyncs was pretty much designed with the intention to cater for people born without thumbs.

Note: Never refer to snipe as a 'skill' when you refer to it because there's nothing 'skillful' about using it. So just call it an 'ability.'

Nermind - not worth it.

Yeah it's not worth embarrassing yourself and basically exposing yourself as a zergling.

Go on any decent PvPers stream on Twitch and tell them snipe is balanced please. I'd love to see your opinion be undermined in an instant.

Doesn't surprise me that there's people on the forums who defend snipe and your opinion though. Then again the same people probably justify earthgore and sloads as balanced.

Proud to play the game the way it is supposed to be played.
    So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
  • ZOS_RikardD
    ZOS_RikardD
    admin
    Greetings,

We have had to remove a number of comments for being rude, inappropriate, baiting or otherwise not constructive to the conversation.

Please remember to keep comments constructive and civil and take a moment to review our Community Rules Here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New personal high score for a snipe:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuaveObliviousSheepThunBeast

19.7k what nowwwwds
    Edited by Thogard on January 14, 2019 5:37PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    The problem is not Snipe, the problem is the synergy with Cloak and all the other tools you can use to absolutely abuse it.

Not really. The problem is the overloaded damage it offers as an ability that has a cast time. There are so many ways to address snipe and one of them would be to remove the cast time and reduce the damage to make it a real spammable thus making it a less clunky and more viable skill. Plus as someone who does archery IRL the cast time and animation for snipe look so so so stupid it's not even funny.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is why eventually every class is going to be the same ..

We are already going in that direction. Might as well embrace it at this point.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thorstienn wrote: »
    Everyday!?
    Snipe is fine, in fact it's actually a pretty bad spammable. The problem is with cloak COMBINED with snipe. Stealth is ok, you get 1 Shot to win, then you will undoubtedly eat an axe/fireball to the face. Cloaking potentially resets the fight, and at 40m, that's the problem.
    That and a stupid bug they can't seem to fix for some reason.
    Note it IS the spammable for bow, if you give it an increasing cost like streak, then imagine that on ALL spammables!

No. You're wrong. Snipe from stealth causes desyncs and bugs. Snipe from cloak actually barely does anything at all. The spammable itself is actually surprisingly good after you learn to use it. To the point where I'd say it's stupidly good seeing as the skill has a lot attached too it.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes i hit people for 10k xDDD
    I always try to imagine their expression when they see the recaps and rejoice me of pleasure, imagine them suffering of angriness and shouting like crazy.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »
    No
    L2P please

Are you a Snipe spammer? If so, that request is hella ironic. ;)

I use lethal arrow, but I don't "spam" it. A one second cast time is hardly spam. I use it mosly around keeps to counter range attacts on the seige line. And unless the person is low health already or in all light divines with less than 16k health, they aren't gona die. If you're full health and dying to snipe it's L2P.

They do need to fix the desync though, which is the real issue.
    proteinexe wrote:
    No nerf of damage, but an increase cost like you said - just like streak

You mean the streak that a mag sorc can spam 5-6 times at least? Don't tell me they can't because I've played mag sorc and have done it many times.

Bow is the only damn ranged stamina option, of which 2 skills are even useful in pvp.

Let's nerf reach, crushing shock, mages wrath, radient destruction, javlin and every single ranged magicka ability in the same way you propose for bow

I'm sorry but that argument isn't valid anymore. Dodge roll is even more dodgy than it was before. On a magicka character you can't afford to dodge enough to negate the damage and when you look at your other defenses against snipe you have to be a magicka DK with wings (which is already a fairly unbalanced skill albeit useful) or a nightblade with cloak. Even as a cloak spamming magblade a few snipes will screw you up if you are already in a fight and you often can't spam cloxak if you are actively engaged already.

Watch this before you say anything else:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6L4omudnE

I'm sorry but there is no L2P anymore. It's debatable if there was to begin with but now there is no debate you are simply incorrect.
    Edited by NyassaV on January 14, 2019 6:15PM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    The moment the player start casting snipe, he/she should lose invisibility.

You do and you stand up.

No you close your invisibility after your snipe hits a target.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Could you stop asking for a nerf to one of my favourite PvE skills, please?

Thank you.

I mean yall PvErs screwed Magicka over in PvP so why not it's sorta a free for all now. Not to mention you bring nothing helpful to this conversation such as suggestions that would make snipe less annoying in PvP while keeping viability in PvE such as making the skill a real spammable (instant cast) and not a cast time ability with overloaded damage
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MaxwellC wrote: »
    @gamerguy757
    Why not just make it hit instantly but the cast time is restricted for 3 seconds.

So if I use it, the ability will immediately deal damage but will be locked out for 3 seconds.

The point is to turn the skill into something less abusive to play against not remove it from the game altogether though person I really don't care what happens to the skill.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Gnozo wrote: »
    Thats not remotely balanced, it should be: higher risk, higher reward. And the risk by using snipe is nearly 0 und the reward is way to high for this.

The risk using snipe is only 0 if

A, you made a build that has no ranged capability, which is on you, and
    B, you are the only enemy capable of attacking the sniper (which is rarely true)

So yes. It is possible to artificially construct a scenario in which the risk of using snipe is 0. But in most practical situations, the safety of range is an illusion.

Most melee builds have no range capability. Stamdk, StamWarden have literally nothing to close the gap to a cloaked sniper. Stamplar may have spear to cc the sniper and try to run to him but mostly the sniper is long gone before he reaches him.

Snipe is just to strong in combination with cloak/stealth.

Of course melee builds have no range capability, thats why they are melee builds. That does not mean snipe is too strong however, that just means you made yourself weak to it.

In other words, don't make a melee build and then complain people attack you from range.

I didnt complain they attack me from range. I did complain about snipe overperforming in combination with cloak.

Ignoring the fact that this still causes health desync it is possible to shoot 2 snipes from stealth without the target known for the huge incoming damage and just cloak away before your target breaks the CC. There is no counterplay for it cause you never know when it will come. And no class can sustain 24/7 Wings or shimmering just to counter a sniper who may or may not hides completly save in stealth charging snipe on you.

I just don't see what the problem is. You can make a melee build capable of wiping zergs in seconds with DB+shalks+execute. Yet when you can not kill a single sniper who shoots you twice and then runs away it makes him overperforming? I mean, really...

Just cause DB + Shalks + Execute can wipe some pugs and is indeed strong doesnt make snipe less overperforming.

Actually yes, yes it does. You are complaining about a peashooter while dropping A-bombs left and right.

IF I CAN NOT KILL IT IT IS OVERPERFORMING is the message you are sending here. All the while you are orbiting a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps. Absolutely no sympathy here.

Oh, you know me ingame or how can you tell i do this?

It was a manner of speaking. In plain speak: In a game where one can orbit a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps, another being able to get away after shooting twice is of no consequence.

I read it like you directly mean you, cause you were constantly saying "you".

Ofc, these stamden bombs are strong and overperforming, same like snipe in combination with cloak.

Only cause other overperforming things in a game exist doesnt make snipe less overperforming. I dont get your arguments here

How exactly is one player being able to get away after shooting twice "overperforming"?

That's my argument.

Where is it written that a ranged attacker MUST always be 100% catchable after he initiates an attack at long range(even if his target has no long range capability to retaliate), or else be considered overperforming?

A ranged attacker needs to have viable counters that aren't wings. No one said they have to be catch-able because as it stands all ranged attackers are catch-able because they are magicka. The only one that can get away almost 100% of the time is a stamina build thus making it a bowtard.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    Hate it or not, Snipe adds to build diversity. Today you remove Snipe, what comes tomorrow?

Well they already screwed everything else up so might as well be consistent about something
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZonasArch wrote: »
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Hate it or not, Snipe adds to build diversity. Today you remove Snipe, what comes tomorrow?

A better game with more balance??

Snipe isn't a problem at all. I get killed way more often by real players with real skill than by the occasional spammer. 2h are deadlier, specially on DKs, NB is op in general and a lot more so with dual daggers than bow. Much worse problem to balance.

Besides, once you get close to these snipers, they get so desperate, it's hilarious how easy it is to kill them.

You haven't run into a good one. And that's ok because it's rare to find one
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let's Nerf everything and make everything the same so that everything loses any degree of individuality........oh, hang on!
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    snipe is one of the few things that keeps DKs relevant, what with the reflector wings and all.

also, few things are more satisfying than killing those BG campers that snipe from their spawn point with their own arrows. Prove me wrong.

Sure its fun but not everyone has Wings or shimmering shield.

Maybe i am a squishy magblade and getting hit from 8k snipes from a dude hiding in stealth. I couldnt predict its coming cause he was in stealth, i got cc and just ate the 2nd 8k snipe and the snipe wasnt in my LOS and instantly cloacked again making it impossible to find him to fight back.

So, what to do? Ofc, heal up. Healing is weak on magblade, need shields, shields are smal in no cp. He is in stealth and prolly preparing his next snipe. Only thing i can do is also cloak and move away cause he wont show himself until he is ready for some more snipes.....

Pretty balanced, yep.

And not everyone uses snipe too

Safe to say it is balanced.

LOL every idiot in Cyrodiil with a bow uses snipe at some point in their life even if it's only for a few mins
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys keep arguing this thread will get closed :(

And then who will see my clip of my 19.7k snipe?
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    Thats not remotely balanced, it should be: higher risk, higher reward. And the risk by using snipe is nearly 0 und the reward is way to high for this.

B, you are the only enemy capable of attacking the sniper (which is rarely true)

So yes. It is possible to artificially construct a scenario in which the risk of using snipe is 0. But in most practical situations, the safety of range is an illusion.

Most melee builds have no range capability. Stamdk, StamWarden have literally nothing to close the gap to a cloaked sniper. Stamplar may have spear to cc the sniper and try to run to him but mostly the sniper is long gone before he reaches him.

Of course melee builds have no range capability, thats why they are melee builds. That does not mean snipe is too strong however, that just means you made yourself weak to it.

In other words, don't make a melee build and then complain people attack you from range.

I didnt complain they attack me from range. I did complain about snipe overperforming in combination with cloak.

Ignoring the fact that this still causes health desync it is possible to shoot 2 snipes from stealth without the target known for the huge incoming damage and just cloak away before your target breaks the CC. There is no counterplay for it cause you never know when it will come. And no class can sustain 24/7 Wings or shimmering just to counter a sniper who may or may not hides completly save in stealth charging snipe on you.

I just don't see what the problem is. You can make a melee build capable of wiping zergs in seconds with DB+shalks+execute. Yet when you can not kill a single sniper who shoots you twice and then runs away it makes him overperforming? I mean, really...

Just cause DB + Shalks + Execute can wipe some pugs and is indeed strong doesnt make snipe less overperforming.

Actually yes, yes it does. You are complaining about a peashooter while dropping A-bombs left and right.

IF I CAN NOT KILL IT IT IS OVERPERFORMING is the message you are sending here. All the while you are orbiting a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps. Absolutely no sympathy here.

It was a manner of speaking. In plain speak: In a game where one can orbit a rock at mach 5 kiting multiple enemies to their deaths with ulti dumps, another being able to get away after shooting twice is of no consequence.

Ofc, these stamden bombs are strong and overperforming, same like snipe in combination with cloak.

Only cause other overperforming things in a game exist doesnt make snipe less overperforming. I dont get your arguments here

How exactly is one player being able to get away after shooting twice "overperforming"?

That's my argument.

Where is it written that a ranged attacker MUST always be 100% catchable after he initiates an attack at long range(even if his target has no long range capability to retaliate), or else be considered overperforming?

A ranged attacker needs to have viable counters that aren't wings.

Not on a toon that is on purpose built as a pure melee brawler. If you make a toon that has no ranged capability, full well knowing that you did so to be exceptionally good at melee, then you have no leg to stand on claiming ranged builds are overperforming against you because you can not catch them.

Other than that, the ranged attacker faces plenty of counters during his gameplay.
    No one said they have to be catch-able

Really.

"...it is possible to shoot 2 snipes from stealth without the target known for the huge incoming damage and just cloak away before your target breaks the CC. There is no counterplay for it...

...Even if the targets manages to survive he wont catch him cause its nearly impossible for a melee build to close the gap before the sniper vanish into stealth again..."

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    No
    L2P please

Are you a Snipe spammer? If so, that request is hella ironic. ;)

I use lethal arrow, but I don't "spam" it. A one second cast time is hardly spam. I use it mosly around keeps to counter range attacts on the seige line. And unless the person is low health already or in all light divines with less than 16k health, they aren't gona die. If you're full health and dying to snipe it's L2P.

They do need to fix the desync though, which is the real issue.
    proteinexe wrote:
    No nerf of damage, but an increase cost like you said - just like streak

You mean the streak that a mag sorc can spam 5-6 times at least? Don't tell me they can't because I've played mag sorc and have done it many times.

Bow is the only damn ranged stamina option, of which 2 skills are even useful in pvp.

Let's nerf reach, crushing shock, mages wrath, radient destruction, javlin and every single ranged magicka ability in the same way you propose for bow

I'm sorry but that argument isn't valid anymore. Dodge roll is even more dodgy than it was before. On a magicka character you can't afford to dodge enough to negate the damage and when you look at your other defenses against snipe you have to be a magicka DK with wings (which is already a fairly unbalanced skill albeit useful) or a nightblade with cloak. Even as a cloak spamming magblade a few snipes will screw you up if you are already in a fight and you often can't spam cloxak if you are actively engaged already.

Watch this before you say anything else:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6L4omudnE

I'm sorry but there is no L2P anymore. It's debatable if there was to begin with but now there is no debate you are simply incorrect.

Not sure what your point is with asking me to watch the video. I also have played a magblade in pvp and I will agree with you that they are not in a good place in pvp except maybe as a support role. They are still top dog in pve for dps though.

However my point is not about magblade specifically nor magdk, magsorc, magplar which are all fine.
    I've wrecked people from range on a mag sorc and magplar as much as with a bow on a stam class.

My opinion is not changed. If people keep wanting to screw over the only ranged options stamina has (2-3 skills), then I want all mag ranged options also nerfed to nothing as well. No reason someone should be able to hide behind a zerg with their staff either.
    Edited by Katahdin on January 14, 2019 6:55PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look I'm not saying to nerf the move, but the spamming on it is a little out of hand. I mean, [edited] that we spam SHIELDS and they are OP, so here we go again with a move that is OP spammable and you defend it? OK here's my proposal.

Snipe
    Plant a masterfully aimed arrow into an enemy's vital spot, dealing X Physical Damage. (Nerf initial damage by 15%) Activating this ability within 1.5 seconds increases the cost by 20%.

Focused Aim
    Increase damage by up to 15% based on distance to target.

Lethal Arrow
    No change

[edited to remove baiting comments]

All powerful long range attacks should be reflect-able imo.
    Best and quickest counter to it is to make defensive posture reflect stamina skills too.
    My mag-sorc would definitely equip a S+B then.
    Maybe also create a magica morph of defensive posture so magica users can reflect projectiles too.
    Also won't mind if bold escape absorbs stamina projectile too....but that's a band-aid fix imo.

• ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZonasArch wrote: »
    Qbiken wrote: »

A better game with more balance??

Snipe isn't a problem at all. I get killed way more often by real players with real skill than by the occasional spammer. 2h are deadlier, specially on DKs, NB is op in general and a lot more so with dual daggers than bow. Much worse problem to balance.

Besides, once you get close to these snipers, they get so desperate, it's hilarious how easy it is to kill them.

You haven't run into a good one. And that's ok because it's rare to find one

The good ones are not the ones that only spam it and annoy everyone, though. They use a full rotation and kill you with skill and that's perfectly fine. These ones aren't as easy to kill either because they know what they have in their bars side from snipe.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's my argument.

A ranged attacker needs to have viable counters that aren't wings.

Not on a toon that is on purpose built as a pure melee brawler. If you make a toon that has no ranged capability, full well knowing that you did so to be exceptionally good at melee, then you have no leg to stand on claiming ranged builds are overperforming against you because you can not catch them.

Other than that, the ranged attacker faces plenty of counters during his gameplay.
    No one said they have to be catch-able

Really.

"...it is possible to shoot 2 snipes from stealth without the target known for the huge incoming damage and just cloak away before your target breaks the CC. There is no counterplay for it...

...Even if the targets manages to survive he wont catch him cause its nearly impossible for a melee build to close the gap before the sniper vanish into stealth again..."

Excuse me we are talking about catching them. I also assume not everyone you fight will be a ganker because in that case you need to find different fights. It is very possible to catch them depending on your class and the skills you have slotted.

Also I never said ranged attackers are over preforming. So I think you've misinterpreted some of what I wrote. Viable counters that aren't wings could very well be speed pots so I can run to a target or gap closers with increased distance.
    Edited by NyassaV on January 14, 2019 9:20PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by TequilaFire on January 14, 2019 10:40PM
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other than fixing the desync issue, I’d have ZOS revert the change to the order of bow abilities. Having Snipe so early on in bow leveling makes lowbie battlegrounds miserable.

Now this I agree with never understood why they changed snipe to unlock so early.
    And the client/server desync is the problem.

Because it's basically an easy "noob skill".
  • chris211
    chris211
    ✭✭✭✭
    delete snipe from the game entirely
    Edited by chris211 on January 14, 2019 11:47PM
  • KharnTheUndying
    KharnTheUndying
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like most twitch streamers are using cheesy snipe builds.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe should increase cost the more you spam it, like streak does. Simple solution.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, something should be done. It’s a bad skill in PvE (as in the 1.1 sec cast time messes up rotations) and it’s the obvious Xv1 skill in PvP. Both sides of the game would profit from sensible adjustments. There have been many good suggestions about changes, but I don’t think we will see any. It’s been 3 years+.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • PM_1
    PM_1
    ✭✭
    Snipe works great against potatoes. If you are sitting in the open on your mount, or looking at your map, expect to die to snipers. All of the good players I've targeted, instantly dodge roll or flap wings then get on the offensive. I built to use snipe, so if they catch me I'm dead. That is part of the fun, trying to get away. Also hunting the other factions nightblades is fun... I've died plenty of times to the desync on my other toons, and it isn't great, would like to see that fixed. Otherwise, leave snipe alone.
    Xbox1 Eu