Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Let's talk about the MMR...

• Hetaira
    Hetaira
    ✭✭✭
    My queues have gotten shorter this past week or so. I'm honestly not sure why. I was in top 100 on all 3 boards. My queues are in the 2-20 minute range doing mostly solo stuff. Duo are about 5-10 minutes tops, and it increases failed queue pops the more people added to premade.

• mlsweet
    mlsweet
    ✭✭
    Still getting 40 minute solo queue times on my main BG toon. More than a month after roll out. I've also been living in Cyrodiil, trying to "freeze" my rank. Just an update. Thanks Mulder @Thogard for representing us as a civilized bunch B)

Please save us, ZOS.
    PC-NA
    Laitonobi-Magicka Sorcerer- AR 36 - Standard-Guardian
    Mahkswell-Stamina Warden- AR 32 - Standard-Guardian

• Lichbourne90
    Lichbourne90
    ✭✭✭
    My que times are still instant, but every match now I'm solo qued against premades. Had all I can take of it
    Xbox NA
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started leveling a new char in bgs, and now its around level 30. Queue doesnt seem to work for me anymore, and it doesnt matter if I queue solo or with friends.
    The strange thing is, me and my friend had high winrate, but we rarely met premade groups, most of them seemed random. So all this stuff seems kinda weird and its probably bugged. The idea itself isnt bad but 10+ min wait times are not okay.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on July 4, 2018 12:34AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Fake Remedy
    Fake Remedy
    ✭✭✭
    competitive battleground queues killed competitive battleground pvp
    Fake Remedy

yt. Fake_Remedy
    twitch. Fake_Remedy
    discord. fake_remedy#3254
    e. fake_remedy@hotmail.com
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m confident now that the mmr takes your leaderboard position into account as well. The longest wait times came when I actually played enough to be at the top. Which was like one day when they first released the new system.
  • KTLikeFire
    KTLikeFire
    Soul Shriven
    I made a blueberry pie waiting for my que to pop a few nights back only to still not be in a game 30+ mins later. I've been in a total of 4 matches since the patch dropped and only got into those by switching to a character with lower MMR or having a friend do the same. I really miss playing BGs. Please just take out MMR or add a "Play Now" option as @Feanor recommended.
  • Fake Remedy
    Fake Remedy
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen any news or updates incoming to the monitored and adjustable competitive battleground ZOS system?
    Fake Remedy

yt. Fake_Remedy
    twitch. Fake_Remedy
    discord. fake_remedy#3254
    e. fake_remedy@hotmail.com
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone seen any news or updates incoming to the monitored and adjustable competitive battleground ZOS system?

nope, I think the upper mmr people will be stuck with *** ques for a while
  • xS Foxy
    xS Foxy
    Hi the bgs matchmaker IS very Bad since summerset.. i have 2 chars locked because they have a Big % of wins and more 900 wins on Xbox.. @ZOS_GinaBruno WE need a patch because when you stay 4hours on queue for match 0 games all days ... Mean WE have a problem.. i think summerset new bgs matchmaker IS the worst update ever...
    Edited by xS Foxy on July 18, 2018 11:50AM
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting post
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting post

Thanks!

I’ve been monitoring the BG system closely and it’s interesting to me how much of this I got right. To this day I still don’t have any better hypotheses for the BG matchmaking system.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you believe that the mmr is account based or character based? I do bgs on one toon about 99.9% of the time, I'd like to do bgs on other toons, but just don't want to be put up against the same people I face when I'm on my bg dominate toon.
  • MooseKnuckles88
    MooseKnuckles88
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe this thread holds a lot great insight and information that could help out other people. A repost of this material in general discussion could probably shed light on different perspectives too. Definitely a great post regardless.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you believe that the mmr is account based or character based? I do bgs on one toon about 99.9% of the time, I'd like to do bgs on other toons, but just don't want to be put up against the same people I face when I'm on my bg dominate toon.

We are extremely confident that it is character based
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We will see tomorrow if something was really done for hours-long q.
    Hopefully it was so can play more than 0-1 match per day.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nvm.
    Edited by Juhasow on December 8, 2018 9:03PM
  • Slack
    Slack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It got to be character based, on my new stamplar, that hardly played any BGs, I never get any premades, and mostly new players or people that don't seem to pvp very often.
    On my other Chars, on the other hand almost everyone got high CP level and decent alliance rank,with high chance of premades
    PC EU
    Betty Breeze - Magwarden
    Hunts S'hitblades - Stamplar
    Aschavi - Magplar
  • Zeromaz
    Zeromaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the fact that i only get about 4 matches out of gold food. I hate that i mostly fight the same 15 people over and over and over again. I hate the MMR system.
  • BP_Sparty
    BP_Sparty
    ✭✭
    It is time to abandon battleground and invade sotha sil. Much more different people to fight then the same 15 people in BG, as long as the campaign is populated.............. so populate it
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not convinced of any sort of sophisticated mmr system on ps4 NA. Or if there is one at all that does anything beyond the dev statement about trying to match/balance premades.

It could be tied to gamer tag instead of each character maybe. As I run into the same people(gamer tag and character) on my DK that I've played BGs on since their release in morrowind as my fresh to 50 stamplar that doesn't even have dawn breaker yet. My ques are basically instant unless at odd times but still under 15 minutes and don't vary by character across all 12 that I have. I solo que mostly but occasionally que with a friend as a duo and the results are the same for the most part. Queing as a duo does anecdotally seem to give stiffer competition but a lot of times that's cause the other 2 people on my team have trouble breaking 100k damage. So it could just be pairing duos with new or solo quers.

About the only indication I see of mmr is that players I run into consistently who are good it rarely puts them on the same teams. If I'm topping my teams score board and they are too we will almost always be put on different teams even though we are in the same matches up to 5 times in a row or more and the rest of players are shuffled around.

PC could be different and could be skewed by population issues that ps4 and xbox don't have.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NuarBlack wrote: »
    Not convinced of any sort of sophisticated mmr system on ps4 NA. Or if there is one at all that does anything beyond the dev statement about trying to match/balance premades.

It could be tied to gamer tag instead of each character maybe. As I run into the same people(gamer tag and character) on my DK that I've played BGs on since their release in morrowind as my fresh to 50 stamplar that doesn't even have dawn breaker yet. My ques are basically instant unless at odd times but still under 15 minutes and don't vary by character across all 12 that I have. I solo que mostly but occasionally que with a friend as a duo and the results are the same for the most part. Queing as a duo does anecdotally seem to give stiffer competition but a lot of times that's cause the other 2 people on my team have trouble breaking 100k damage. So it could just be pairing duos with new or solo quers.

About the only indication I see of mmr is that players I run into consistently who are good it rarely puts them on the same teams. If I'm topping my teams score board and they are too we will almost always be put on different teams even though we are in the same matches up to 5 times in a row or more and the rest of players are shuffled around.

PC could be different and could be skewed by population issues that ps4 and xbox don't have.

Current way of match making started not that long ago. It happened around Summerset if I am correct and since then everyone had something like fresh start.

I dont know about that population factors , from what I hear all the time not PC but consoles have PvP population issues.
    Edited by Juhasow on December 26, 2018 12:46AM
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    NuarBlack wrote: »

Current way of match making started not that long ago. It happened around Summerset if I am correct and since then everyone had something like fresh start.

I dont know about that population factors , from what I hear all the time not PC but consoles have PvP population issues.

Not sure about pvp specific populations but I know console has significantly higher player base than PC on the whole. It's why I migrated from PC. Going off campaigns it sounds like campaigns on console are more populated as well. I have never experienced these long ques for BGs either on ps4. Maybe I haven't reached the magic long que number of matches played as I do spread my play around a number of different toons. But I consistently run into leader board climbers and others who I know play lots on the same toon. Your perception could be skewed because PC is more active on the forums(ZoS screwed up forum accounts for console) as well as the big name streamers and youtubers are on PC but console always has a larger player base. It's why PC games are more often ports theses days instead of the other way around.

So my only conclusions I can draw from that is that there isn't much of an mmr system or the larger population helps the system acknowledge que shortages and adjust more efficiently or it's programmed differently on ps4.
  • Lokov
    Lokov
    ✭✭✭
    Years pass, and developers still did not leave a word in this topic?
    kek
    They just reset MMR and don 't say how it works? :D
    Edited by Lokov on February 29, 2020 11:16PM
    Captain Org As More |Mag Blade| DC
    Bald Dude You Know From |Stam Blade| DC
    Ashot One Shot |Mag Blade| AD
    Strippirella |Stam Blade| AD
    Dont Touch My Tralala |Stam DK| DC
    Im Badman |Mag DK| DC
    Big Mac |Mag Sorc| DC
    Savitar Himself |Stam Sorc| DC
    Captain Old Fashion |Mag Plar| DC
    Chelovek Chlen-Nevidimka |Stam Warden| DC

Welcome to my TWITCH in Russian
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m pretty sure they changed up the formula since the time I wrote the original post.

Last patch it was possible to get to high MMR after a dozen or so matches, provided you won them. When summerset first rolled out, however, that wasn’t the case.

Given that they reset MMR I’d be surprised if they didn’t tweak the formula a bit too, and those changes to it might be exactly why they don’t want to post any details about it.

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ZOS provided MMR formula details, and there was any way for people to game the system, they would.

It might be best for it to remain undisclosed.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t care that much about MMR. One BIG thing is I think they should reset MMR every patch.

My old main was pretty high I think, I tried one BG before the patch and went right into a high MMR game and got wrecked as a magblade.

After the patch I found I could play my magblade again because of the reset. It really sucks to get high and then bam - balance pass and you’re uncompetitive. At least with a reset I can play my magblade every once in a while and slum it out in lower MMR.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I don’t care that much about MMR. One BIG thing is I think they should reset MMR every patch.

My old main was pretty high I think, I tried one BG before the patch and went right into a high MMR game and got wrecked as a magblade.

After the patch I found I could play my magblade again because of the reset. It really sucks to get high and then bam - balance pass and you’re uncompetitive. At least with a reset I can play my magblade every once in a while and slum it out in lower MMR.

Most good players I know hate this MMR reset with a passion. Playing a game of who can kill the inexperienced players faster is not fun. You proposal is just mega selfish, wouldnt it make much more sense if MMR could decrease by losing matches? That way your performance will automatically put in the MMR you belong without ruining the fun of others?!
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Most good players I know hate this MMR reset with a passion. Playing a game of who can kill the inexperienced players faster is not fun. You proposal is just mega selfish, wouldnt it make much more sense if MMR could decrease by losing matches? That way your performance will automatically put in the MMR you belong without ruining the fun of others?!

That would work as well. I like the high MMR type games too, the sweatier the better, but some classes don’t do well in that setting.

Either system works, but a system with a constantly climbing ranking regardless of performance is the worst of the three options.

I mean, if wanting new players to club was my goal I wouldn’t be playing a magblade.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 1, 2020 12:29PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten