Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry crafting: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »
    I don't agree with OP. current one is fine as it is.

then you're wrong.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oberstein wrote: »
    I don't agree with OP. current one is fine as it is.

Only those who are doing nothing except farming the materials and then selling the grains for an extortionate amount can call this fine.

The grains system is literally copied from the style material dust/grain/malachite shard/whatever drop system, ZOS should have made it the same as the rest of the crafting skills instead of the current grind fest we were given.

give us a hireling, give us a 2nd research slot, get rid of the grains system and just give platings like the other crafting skills.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sola281 wrote: »
    Sadly I see no changes in Jewelry Crafting in the patch notes. I've be master level in Jewelry for several months now and have only been able to craft 2 rings. I just can't find/get the materials to create anything beyond green. The price for materials is crazy. I've mined 300 pieces of platinum and have gotten 1 piece of plating. If any other crafting worked like this, crafting would be dead in ESO.

It almost is. I craft my own gear occasionally but pretty much all the BiS stuff is once again lootable. I used to craft a training set, julianos or hundings once a week or so for guildmates but I haven't seen anyone request a crafted set in quite a while now. I think the last thing was some blue shackle breaker rings for someone that wanted for PvP. And of course they only wanted blue because even purple is so prohibitively expensive. That said it could just be because most of my guildmates are pushing or over max CP now I've dropped trade guilds.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why we don't get purple or gold platings from daily crafting writs and why there is no jeweler hireling
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit torn back and forth here. Yes, crafting purple or even golden jewelry is an enormous grind and money sink. Then again... what else do we spend money on and how much money does the average player have on all his toons? With just a little effort, you can make like 200k gold per week just via crafting dailies, so getting the money is not the problem.
    I levelled my jewelry crafter to 50 with all skills equipped and 7 traits analysed about 2 weeks ago and by now, I have enough chromium for 2 items and enough zirkon (is that the same in english?) for another 3-4. It's just not instant ding-50 craft everything.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    I'm a bit torn back and forth here. Yes, crafting purple or even golden jewelry is an enormous grind and money sink. Then again... what else do we spend money on and how much money does the average player have on all his toons? With just a little effort, you can make like 200k gold per week just via crafting dailies, so getting the money is not the problem.
    I levelled my jewelry crafter to 50 with all skills equipped and 7 traits analysed about 2 weeks ago and by now, I have enough chromium for 2 items and enough zirkon (is that the same in english?) for another 3-4. It's just not instant ding-50 craft everything.

The main problem for me is that it is incompatible with all the other crafted gear slots and jewelry, for what it provides, doesn't deserve to be 5X grindier. If any one slot deserves to be singled out for extra grind because it provides a bigger advantage to your build than the other slots, that would be weapons not jewelry.

So at the very least it feels like an artificial, tacked-on rarity grind.

We can rationalize it in many ways (and gold sink is one of those) but any way you look at it it's still bad design.
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is I agree with the OP. There are just no logical reasons to keep JC this stupidly frustrating to craft with, And the writs definitely need to be taken a look at...I get much less regular writs now, and I don't relish getting the jC ones due to how hard they are. If the writs are all in a generic pool, then JC needs to be taken out as it has different difficulty requirements then the others.

Id also like to see JC nodes separated from BS nodes. I really hate the whole split idea...it makes BS materials more rare by default, and due to ignorant players farming only JC nodes, artificially makes JC nodes even more rare then they should be. This needs to be added to the list in the OP. This is probably one of my greatest frustrations in the JC system at the moment. Even with the whole leather/cloth issue, the node are at least separate.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    temjiu wrote: »
    All I can say is I agree with the OP. There are just no logical reasons to keep JC this stupidly frustrating to craft with, And the writs definitely need to be taken a look at...I get much less regular writs now, and I don't relish getting the jC ones due to how hard they are. If the writs are all in a generic pool, then JC needs to be taken out as it has different difficulty requirements then the others.

Id also like to see JC nodes separated from BS nodes. I really hate the whole split idea...it makes BS materials more rare by default, and due to ignorant players farming only JC nodes, artificially makes JC nodes even more rare then they should be. This needs to be added to the list in the OP. This is probably one of my greatest frustrations in the JC system at the moment. Even with the whole leather/cloth issue, the node are at least separate.

First part. Yes, JC MASTER writs need to be adjusted (I disagree, as I've stated earlier with the OPs post)

On the 2nd part. The data doesn't back up your claim. The price of Rubedite Ingots had PLUMMETED in the last 6 months since SS came out on PC (from about 25g/ingot to 6g/ingot) The price of Tempering Alloy has dropped nearly in half in the same time (from about 8k/alloy to about 4.5k/alloy). Prices don't drop when there is a scarcity of materials, they go up. The data indicates the opposite.

and I know the OP will disagree.. probably just tell me "you're wrong" as they have said several other times, to anybody who doesn't unequivocally agree with them. It's an opinion. I like data and statistics, and I'm confident in the data that shows that there isn't an issue. With the lone exception of the MASTER WRITS, which should have their values increase by another 50% to make them comparable to the rest of the master writs.
    Edited by tmbrinks on November 8, 2018 4:02PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    they need to give us JC MW at a level that matches our ability to do them, or fix the platings
    PCMR EU.
  • MacMurroughTheFirst
    Every time I come across this issue, it seems so black and white it when it really shouldn't be. If you're able to craft gold pieces with little to no trouble, that's crazy awesome but you should at least be able to see how that's not obtainable to everyone else. Hell, I enjoy farming but I can certainly see where others wouldn't want to do that all day long or how "playing the market" may not be everyone's cup of tea.

It's not that there's a gap between obtaining gold crafted jewelry and armor/weapons; it's literally how large that gap is. It shouldn't take months to naturally get one complete piece of gold plating. You shouldn't have to have 15 maxed characters with maxed JC just to have a shot at a couple platings. While I honestly don't think they should be handed out like candy, I also don't understand why this has to be the hill on which JC has to die. There are so many shades between 'easy access' or 'readily available' and "elite-only". Maybe plating shouldn't be 75g but 75,000g and up a piece isn't really any better.

And splitting into pieces is fine for motifs and gems but it's unnecessarily hindersome for improvement mats, especially when the argument is "the price'll come down eventually" because of course it will but who wants to be a year + still trying to gold out a couple of their jewelry sets? Along with no hireling to help, master writs stacking like pancakes, and 140+ days of research, the whole thing just seems needlessly daunting.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the current system I only see a few ways someone would have little to no trouble crafting what you want is 1. Either living on the game farming all the time, 2. Set up bots to farm all the time, or 3. Have enough gold to buy the mats you need, therefore feeding the bots that seem to have become rampant on all platforms and getting really toxic on consoles. It shouldn't be easy. You should wear your "crafter badge" with pride, but it shouldn't be so bad that bots are almost necessary.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Them purple platings selling for almost 40k a piece on NA PC.

Bling Bling

:trollface:
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    Lol, who even uses this system for anything else than transmuting dropped jewellery.

It could have been nice, but the grain stuff makes it such a grind abomination, I didn't even bother to level it on my crafter.

I do Jewelry writs on 15 characters most days. Might as well if I am doing other writs since level 1 Jewelry writs are always profitable. They cost 5 or 6 pewter and you get back 5 of either pewter or a more valuable mat, plus gold, plus 1 gear. Plus, a chance at grains.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    Zircon production seems to be set at the same level as Chromium.

Chromium grains now turning up on Writs and Blacksmith Resource drops, Zircon is not.

This actually (whether intentionally or not) makes Zircon rarer than Chromium which bottlenecks the whole upgrade process.

Another example of ZOS messing up Jewellers!

Isn't less zircon needed when upgrading than chromium, like all the other gear crafts? Plus, so much of our jewelry is already purple drops.
    give us a hireling, give us a 2nd research slot, get rid of the grains system and just give platings like the other crafting skills.

Second research slot definitely not needed. There are only 2 categories of jewelry to research. Even woodworking has 3x as many. I would love to see a hireling.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on November 14, 2018 6:03AM
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    they need to give us JC MW at a level that matches our ability to do them, or fix the platings
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

Chromium grains now turning up on Writs and Blacksmith Resource drops, Zircon is not.

This actually (whether intentionally or not) makes Zircon rarer than Chromium which bottlenecks the whole upgrade process.

Isn't less zircon needed when upgrading than chromium, like all the other gear crafts? Plus, so much of our jewelry is already purple drops.

Second research slot definitely not needed. There are only 2 categories of jewelry to research. Even woodworking has 3x as many. I would love to see a hireling.

you might get a lot of purple jewelry. Not all of us have that experience
    PCMR EU.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting new jewelry is pretty easy up to purple, or seems an appropriate level of difficulty to me. I agree gold jewelry should be the exception. Like maybe you save up enough to have one infused gold piece with a gold weapon enchant or some such.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    With the current system I only see a few ways someone would have little to no trouble crafting what you want is 1. Either living on the game farming all the time, 2. Set up bots to farm all the time, or 3. Have enough gold to buy the mats you need, therefore feeding the bots that seem to have become rampant on all platforms and getting really toxic on consoles. It shouldn't be easy. You should wear your "crafter badge" with pride, but it shouldn't be so bad that bots are almost necessary.

The other answer is that you grind the system (such as it is) and slooowly accumulate the necessary platings to upgrade your gear. Patience is key here.

The main bottleneck to this is the rarity of Zircon platings which are (to my mind) rarer than Chromium .
    Whether this was intentional or an unexpected consequence of the system & tweaks is moot.

The practical result is that I get to upgrade a single item to purple every week to week and a half and will almost always have Chromium to make it gold right away as Chromium grains come in faster than Zircon.

I refuse to engage with the profiteers making a killing on Zircon & Chromium on the open market.
    Too much of a gold sink for me...

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »

The other answer is that you grind the system (such as it is) and slooowly accumulate the necessary platings to upgrade your gear. Patience is key here.

The main bottleneck to this is the rarity of Zircon platings which are (to my mind) rarer than Chromium .
    Whether this was intentional or an unexpected consequence of the system & tweaks is moot.

The practical result is that I get to upgrade a single item to purple every week to week and a half and will almost always have Chromium to make it gold right away as Chromium grains come in faster than Zircon.

I refuse to engage with the profiteers making a killing on Zircon & Chromium on the open market.
    Too much of a gold sink for me...

Malborn
    PC-EU

Hence the "little to no trouble" with four children and 3 grandchildren, and even more so my 10 years on EQ1(now there's a game to test your patience) I do in fact have patience. I also do not want to feed the botters, and I, like almost everyone else, also sloooowly aquire what I need(if not as rapidly between work and as I said, grandchildren) my comment was for the ones who claim there is no issue. One can NOT say the grind between jewelry crafting and all other crafting is proportionate given the "rewards" based off of the years of other crafts. Make it harder? Sure. But the levels between green and gold could use a tweak.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Vapirko , as an aside, you want to have gold enchants on all your jewelry regardless of whether it's purple or gold, because jewelry (as an exception from general rule) does not cap enchantment potency. Gold glyph on a purple ring will still give its full gold tooltip value.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vapirko , as an aside, you want to have gold enchants on all your jewelry regardless of whether it's purple or gold, because jewelry (as an exception from general rule) does not cap enchantment potency. Gold glyph on a purple ring will still give its full gold tooltip value.

Sure, I always do. Some people can’t afford it. Just making an example.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

you might get a lot of purple jewelry. Not all of us have that experience

Honestly, if you're not doing activities that drop purple jewelry (vet dungeons, vet trials, etc). You have no need for gold jewelry.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it is not the best solution it would be an improvement if...
    • Jewelry Decon - give back a plating instead of grain.
    • Allow Decon of all Jewelry dropped now in game.
    • add a Jewelry Hiring

Even just the decon change would be a vast improvement. Yes it keeps the grains from gathering but decon of purple and lower, which is the most comely found items, would be a way to improve those levels of crafted items. With getting a grain back I don't want to buy pieces to decon, but would reconsider if I got back plating's.

Noticed that I can not decon Infused rings I gather from Psijic Nodes. Is this just me or is it all? We should be able to decon those if we choose. If it now drops in game, it should be able to be decon.

Keeping the grain system then a Hireling should be added to give us a small increase in grains and materials. I would expect to see ZOS have the gold grains as very rare and maybe even limited to only from refining the materials.
    Edited by Grimm13 on November 14, 2018 3:30PM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I get maybe a purple item drop a day just on my foraging run.
    OK so there is about a 50/50 chance of getting a purple grain out of it.

I also run 10 master jewellery writs a day and get surveys now and then.

Gold grains also drop from MJW rewards and foraging.
    This all goes to show that Chromium is more common than Zircon.

Has anybody ever found a Zircon grain while picking up Blacksmith mats?

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get maybe a purple item drop a day just on my foraging run.
    OK so there is about a 50/50 chance of getting a purple grain out of it.

I also run 10 master jewellery writs a day and get surveys now and then.

Gold grains also drop from MJW rewards and foraging.
    This all goes to show that Chromium is more common than Zircon.

Has anybody ever found a Zircon grain while picking up Blacksmith mats?

Malborn
    PC-EU

I've never even seen any jewelry upgrade mats from a blacksmithing node, only the occasional platinum dust.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    • add a Jewelry Hiring

Even just the decon change would be a vast improvement. Yes it keeps the grains from gathering but decon of purple and lower, which is the most comely found items, would be a way to improve those levels of crafted items. With getting a grain back I don't want to buy pieces to decon, but would reconsider if I got back plating's.

Noticed that I can not decon Infused rings I gather from Psijic Nodes. Is this just me or is it all? We should be able to decon those if we choose. If it now drops in game, it should be able to be decon.

Keeping the grain system then a Hireling should be added to give us a small increase in grains and materials. I would expect to see ZOS have the gold grains as very rare and maybe even limited to only from refining the materials.

just changing the decon would be a 10x reduction in platings... that would an utterly absurd amount of change. If they removed the grains, but reduced drop rates by 50% AND increased the costs back up to 2-3-4-8 (like all other crafts) THEN it would be OK.

Decon of old jewelry would be fine (that was in so people didn't farm/hoard jewelry right before introduction)

Jewelry Hireling would be nice. Would have to get a few more skill points on a couple of characters though.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    • add a Jewelry Hiring

just changing the decon would be a 10x reduction in platings... that would an utterly absurd amount of change. If they removed the grains, but reduced drop rates by 50% AND increased the costs back up to 2-3-4-8 (like all other crafts) THEN it would be OK.

Decon of old jewelry would be fine (that was in so people didn't farm/hoard jewelry right before introduction)

Jewelry Hireling would be nice. Would have to get a few more skill points on a couple of characters though.

you read that wrong, it is currently that you get one grain from decon of Jewelry which is absurd. I am saying they need to give a plate instead which equals 10 grains to bring the green, blue and purple upgrade mats more in line.

I was not talking about old Jewelry either. I am talking about the current infused trait items you get from Psijic Nodes. Any Jewelry generated in the game now needs to be decon capable, we are past the release of the system that stated that items prior to would not be decon and going forward it would be decon capable. But not all are it seems, which is wrong IMHO.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    yep: MORE PLATINGS please
    PCMR EU.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • add a Jewelry Hiring

you read that wrong, it is currently that you get one grain from decon of Jewelry which is absurd. I am saying they need to give a plate instead which equals 10 grains to bring the green, blue and purple upgrade mats more in line.

I was not talking about old Jewelry either. I am talking about the current infused trait items you get from Psijic Nodes. Any Jewelry generated in the game now needs to be decon capable, we are past the release of the system that stated that items prior to would not be decon and going forward it would be decon capable. But not all are it seems, which is wrong IMHO.

I apologize, I misstated with it. changing from grains on decon to platings would be a 10-fold increase in materials. (it was earlier in the day and I don't think I had my coffee yet, or it hadn't kicked in.. lol) The rest of my statement was in line with my thoughts though. If you went that route. 50% reduction in drop rate, back to the old 2-3-4-8 for amount needed, making it identical to the other crafts.

and sure... being able to decon everything... fine.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    • add a Jewelry Hiring

I apologize, I misstated with it. changing from grains on decon to platings would be a 10-fold increase in materials. (it was earlier in the day and I don't think I had my coffee yet, or it hadn't kicked in.. lol) The rest of my statement was in line with my thoughts though. If you went that route. 50% reduction in drop rate, back to the old 2-3-4-8 for amount needed, making it identical to the other crafts.

I dunno, I wouldn't reduce the drop rate if the improvement cost was increaced. I have basically *** all jewelry platings and 10 times *** all would be barely enough as is. Jewelry to decon is hardly plentiful.
    Edited by stitchesofdooom on November 15, 2018 10:07PM
    PCMR EU.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • add a Jewelry Hiring

I dunno, I wouldn't reduce the drop rate if the improvement cost was increaced. I have basically *** all jewelry platings and 10 times *** all would be barely enough as is. Jewelry to decon is hardly plentiful.

The combination of the two ideas of mine would result in 2.5x as many gold platings, But it would result in effectively a 3.75x increase in zircon platings, due to their increase only being from 3 platings to 4 platings.

Any more than that would make jewelry crafting extremely cheap (which ZoS has EXPLICITLY stated they do not want, they wanted it more expensive)