The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS drop over time

• Sru
    Sru
    ✭✭✭
    FPS slows but only in bad situations if I have been running the client a long time. The client will also fail to close on quit and hang until forced shut.

Memory leak ... 32Gb should be enough for most things, even Photoshop is ok and we know about Adobe's optimisation :)
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    What is the current state of this "frame drop over time/memory leak" issue? Still a problem or already fixed?

I wanna play ESO again, but this issue is killing my fun :(
  • GoldSabre
    GoldSabre
    Soul Shriven
    Ahmbor wrote: »
    What is the current state of this "frame drop over time/memory leak" issue? Still a problem or already fixed?

I wanna play ESO again, but this issue is killing my fun :(

I stopped playing a year ago due to this issue, and it still hasn't been fixed. Whatever, ESO lost my subscription.
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    @GoldSabre Dude, this is killing my mood :'(

I wanna play ESO again, my PC is strong enough to play it in 4k with 60fps, but thanks to this issue i got low fps (20-25) in areas where i reached 60fps easily...
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting about 10 -15 fps in busy areas where would normally get 80 - 90 fps. In any of my homesteads would normally get 100 fps only getting 45 - 50 fps. Started about Dec 25 when would usually expect maintenance to be performed. Lag has been unplayable for last 2 days. Hopefully maintenance on Jan 03 will fix everything. Have noticed in the past when no weekly maintenance there is always a degredation in performance.
  • yoco007
    yoco007
    Does anyone have a major fps drop when you enter combat? I noticed my fps go from 90 to 20. I don't know if it's my pc, or game or addons. I did my first trial run with guild a few days and every time fights would start I would see slideshow because of this. My pc specs are i5 4690K, 8Gb ram, 1060 6GB, HDD.
    I do have a lot of addons, but not all of them are enabled.
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    @yoco007 Have got the same problem FPS prior to xmas was 95 - 100 now is 60 - 65 and in PVE combat drops to 1 - 10. while idle pfs is contunually going up and down. Also horrific lap and latency that is consistantly 550 used to be 250 - 255. Problem is on both PC and laptop. PC running dual 970 and laptop running 1080.
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    Performance on PC NA now unplayable - FPS 1 - 5 latency between 888 - 999+ all the time. lag - time to make a coffee between key strokes. Performance on PTS is good - FPS 100 consistantly
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is still standing. A good portion of it comes from the client failing to properly manage addons memory.

How to reproduce the issue with 100% accuracy:

1) Install Master Merchant, HarvestMap and LoreBooks addons. Play enough to get data accumulated. In example, my MM holds 120,000 sales.

2) Run a macro that shows currently used memory. In my case, it can go up to several hundreds of megabytes.

Example:
    /script d(math.ceil(collectgarbage("count")).." KB")

3) Now, port to Deshaan.

4) Run the same macro: your memory usage has immensely risen.

5) Repeat 4-5 other times.

6) Each time, you shall see more and more memory. I don't know the exact cause => effect process, but the client will also slow down to a crawl, typically after 5-6 ports the frame rate is halved.

7) Disable all addons. Quit client completely and restart. Now enjoy dozens of ports with little to no memory loss and way less performance drop over time.
    Edited by Vahrokh on January 8, 2018 10:29AM
  • yoco007
    yoco007
    ajm1946 wrote: »
    @yoco007 Have got the same problem FPS prior to xmas was 95 - 100 now is 60 - 65 and in PVE combat drops to 1 - 10. while idle pfs is contunually going up and down. Also horrific lap and latency that is consistantly 550 used to be 250 - 255. Problem is on both PC and laptop. PC running dual 970 and laptop running 1080.

Do you have LUI addon? I fixed my issue with disabling one of the LUI options. Now I have good fps!
    Edited by yoco007 on January 8, 2018 11:30AM
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yoco007 wrote: »
    ajm1946 wrote: »

Do you have LUI addon? I fixed my issue with disabling one of the LUI options. Now I have good fps!

Which option is that?
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • yoco007
    yoco007
    "Combat Info" option. I have it completely off.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yoco007 wrote: »
    "Combat Info" option. I have it completely off.
    Awesome, thank you,
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • MerQrial
    MerQrial
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    The problem is still standing. A good portion of it comes from the client failing to properly manage addons memory.

How to reproduce the issue with 100% accuracy:

1) Install Master Merchant, HarvestMap and LoreBooks addons. Play enough to get data accumulated. In example, my MM holds 120,000 sales.

2) Run a macro that shows currently used memory. In my case, it can go up to several hundreds of megabytes.

Example:
    /script d(math.ceil(collectgarbage("count")).." KB")

3) Now, port to Deshaan.

4) Run the same macro: your memory usage has immensely risen.

5) Repeat 4-5 other times.

6) Each time, you shall see more and more memory. I don't know the exact cause => effect process, but the client will also slow down to a crawl, typically after 5-6 ports the frame rate is halved.

7) Disable all addons. Quit client completely and restart. Now enjoy dozens of ports with little to no memory loss and way less performance drop over time.

Any fix for the issue besides deactivating addons?

• aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add another person seeing performance issues, especially in vMA. I have a overclocked 5820k, 32GB ram & nvidia 970. (also tried without overclocking)

When ESO came out, my partner and I both gamed using the same PC (with two keyboards and mice attached) This was Windows 7, 4GB ram, 4 core CPU & nvidia 570 GTX. very low spec. This same computer now struggles to run one instance.

The compter we have with 32GB struggles after a while too, memory does not get even vaguely close to being full.

I know performace took a hit with the 'lighting' patch, so i'm wondering if this lighting effect also applies when loads of spell particles go off. It's way worse in PVP or a trial, which makes me think something is struggling when everything starts blowing up. Is there a way to disable shadows from particle effects? Or even particle effects in general to test this out.
    Edited by aeowulf on January 15, 2018 10:24AM
  • EnragedN3wb
    EnragedN3wb
    Soul Shriven
    Just wanted to chime in with my specs & experience with this since I started playing again.

CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.7GHZ - Watercooled @ 65-70C
    GPU: R9 290 @ 1150MHz/1250MHz(Core/Memory) - Watercooled @ 65-70C
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 1800MHz
    OS Drive: 120GB SSD
    Game Drive: 500GB SSD

Game starts 50-60FPS at all times in PvE(have not tried PvP yet). After wandering around for an hour or so FPS drops to 30FPS while in cities, 40-50FPS in remote locations. 60+FPS again after restarting.

While this is not gamebreaking I find anything under 45FPS very choppy & startling when you are used to 60+ constant. it lowers the entire game experience & makes it far less enjoyable.

If any more info could be used to help troubleshoot this I urge beg ZOS to contact me! I have extensive game testing/troubleshooting experience & would be more than happy to help in any way possible!

Edit: DxDiag.txt attached.
    Edited by EnragedN3wb on February 5, 2018 3:11AM
  • Lokov
    Lokov
    ✭✭✭
    Rayth wrote: »
    At start, all is ok, but after 2 hours of playing mass pvp on Cyrodiil, my FPS is halfed.

I go on a spot, got only 43 FPS.
    I leave the game, re-launch it : my FPS return to normal with 87 fps.

I tested this on 2 computers with nvidia cards, with last drivers (mine is 660 Ti, other is 560 Ti) and same problem occure on the 2 PC.

My computer is I5 with 8Go Ram, windows 10 x64.
    I'm in communication with ESO assistance but they do not seem to know where the problems come.

Some help would be apreciated, thx.

unfortunatley this game is totally corrupted and ZOS donno what to do with it.
    My PC can take all modern games with ULTRA settings but i got maximum 35 FPS on battlegrounds =\
    Captain Org As More |Mag Blade| DC
    Bald Dude You Know From |Stam Blade| DC
    Ashot One Shot |Mag Blade| AD
    Strippirella |Stam Blade| AD
    Dont Touch My Tralala |Stam DK| DC
    Im Badman |Mag DK| DC
    Big Mac |Mag Sorc| DC
    Savitar Himself |Stam Sorc| DC
    Captain Old Fashion |Mag Plar| DC
    Chelovek Chlen-Nevidimka |Stam Warden| DC

Welcome to my TWITCH in Russian
  • Fnoptik
    Fnoptik
    ✭✭
    Leak (some kind of, dont know if it memory or particle, or somethings else) still here.
    Fps drop in cloudrest from 50 to 30 in 1 hour of raiding.
    Zero addon.
    Reloging to character screen or zone change restore fps.

Cloudrest here just for example, problem happens in all content where you don't change zone - farming resources, doing vma, raiding, cyrodil, etc.
    By the way, i notice that while doing vma on my mag nb i lose much less fps when i complete vma than on my mag sorc, maybe this problem really connected to somekind of lighting effect, on sorc 2 ability have heavy lighting visualisation - liquid lighting and boundless armor, after completion fps halved, like from 50 to 25 (reloging or zone change restore fps).
    On NB fps going from 50 to 40 after 1 vma run.
    Edited by Fnoptik on August 3, 2018 12:46PM
  • Creeper
    Creeper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same problem. At the start of the game, I have 60 fps with V-Sync on but after 30 - 40 minutes of exploring or farming in the same map, the fps drops as low as 20 fps, It has something to do with the low GPU Usage. As you can see in the screenshot below my temps are fine but the GPU Usage is very low.

15pigw3au5gr.jpg

I farm a lot so I explore the map looking around for mats and it looks like the more you explore, the game starts to lose fps and I have to travel to another zone to to fix this problem every time, it is getting really annoying, other games like Witcher 3 runs fine on Ultra for hours without issue. I have an i7 4770K, GTX 1070 8GB and 24GB of system RAM and closed any unnecessary background processes that might interfere with the game and I have never seen the game uses more than 2.5GB of VRAM or 6GB of System RAM as seen in the screenshot. I feel as though the game is limited from using the available free memory and is struggling to maintain a stable fps. I hope the developers fix this as this is really ruining the gameplay experiences.

Edited by Creeper on August 28, 2018 10:07AM
  • BeketMan
    BeketMan
    Soul Shriven
    And I'm having the same problem. FPS drop over time. At start i got 60 fps (Vsync - on) or ~90 fps (Vsync - off), and after ~1-2 hours i got 20-35 fps. I only have one language addon - RuESO. Only restarting the game every hour helps.

i7-7700HQ 4x 2.80 GHz (hyper threading off)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4.0 GB
    16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

P.S sorry for my bad english
  • Ahmbor
    Ahmbor
    ✭✭✭
    The problem still exists? As long as I will not come back to the game. It kills the joy to play :(
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahmbor wrote: »
    The problem still exists? As long as I will not come back to the game. It kills the joy to play :(

It's pretty ridiculous. I have been playing for 5 years now and only within the last few weeks I've been having FPS degradation over an hour of playing.

Zero add-ons (completely removing folders) does nothing, heat on CPU and GPU are fine, which is not surprising seeing as how they are barely being taxed.

Only rezoning, or relogging or restarting the game fixes it.

Frankly I would settle for a "reload zone" button somewhere in the UI that I can hit every 20 minutes to keep the frames fresh if ZoS can't figure out what the problem is.
  • Azphira
    Azphira
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Frankly I would settle for a "reload zone" button somewhere in the UI that I can hit every 20 minutes to keep the frames fresh if ZoS can't figure out what the problem is.

After this many years, ZoS doesn't care what the problem is.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came on here to say I have had really good results since using the "Votans Adaptive Setting" addon and the massive FPS drop has not been nearly as pronounced as it was for me in the last few weeks.

I don't know if the dynamic setting changes to view distance or particles or something else is helping to prevent the bug from happening in some way or what, but it has made a huge difference on my end.
  • Azphira
    Azphira
    ✭✭✭
    Not even a 7960x @4.7ghz and a 2080 ti @2.1ghz can save this engine in 4k.

I guess I was supposed to stay on 1080p with a 980ti and buy store crowns instead of using the money upgrading between 2014 and 2018.

• Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix the game ZOS!

Centurions staying alive on 2nd boss vhof...fps, disconnects etc...come on....

We can't do achievements in this current environment.
  • Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭
    Any news about that? Still happening every Day..
    Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »
    This is likely because of a particle system leak, which tends to show its ugly head in more intense PVP scenarios. The system itself has been completely rewritten and thoroughly vetted for these kinds of issues. It is going out with the Thieves Guild patch, in addition to the new 64-bit client.

So @ZOS_AlexTardif is this possible related to this issue that a lot of people get? Slow FPS drop over time and a locked out processor core.

Hi @Paulington , the slow FPS drop could very well be the same issue, though your case seems quite extreme for what we'd normally expect, because you describe (in great detail, thank you!) that it doesn't matter if the scene is intensive or not.

However, we can confirm that the old particle system was indeed single-threaded, which lines up with what you were experiencing with one core cranking up so high. The new system coming with the patch is fully multithreaded, and we've made improvements to effect loading in general to increase speed. If you still have this same issue after the patch, it could be something unrelated to effects, or there may be something deeper causing the problem. Do check back and let us know whether or not this patch makes things better for you!

Any news about this multithreaded system patch coming in 2016?
    Edited by killmove on January 21, 2019 12:54PM
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    @killmove

Didnt they add this MT with summerset chapter ?
  • Keewo
    Keewo
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but its still not good in using multiple Cores.
    Stam Dk aus Leidenschaft
This discussion has been closed.