Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry crafting: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    Zircon production seems to be set at the same level as Chromium.

Chromium grains now turning up on Writs and Blacksmith Resource drops, Zircon is not.

This actually (whether intentionally or not) makes Zircon rarer than Chromium which bottlenecks the whole upgrade process.

Another example of ZOS messing up Jewellers!

but you do still get some purple jewelry. How often do you get a gold jewelry drop?
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody always has the "right" answer. Most of the time to satisfy themselves
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »
    Everybody always has the "right" answer. Most of the time to satisfy themselves

wow, that was pretentious. So you're saying that gathering platings somehow isn't needlessly brutal?
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope because sooner or later it will get just like any other mat to find.
    In the mean time I take what I get and move on. Lots more to do than whine about how we cant get platings everytime we turn over a rock.
    Edited by Pops_ND_Irish on October 3, 2018 10:14AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS want the golden vendor to be used and the crafting system has been designed to do just that. The benefit of improving jewelry to purple or gold does not even come close to justifying the cost.

I have been refining mats and deconstructing jewelry ever since Summerset dropped and I still cannot improve 2 pieces of jewelry to gold.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • megasurge93
    megasurge93
    ✭✭✭
    There is indeed an inequality between standard improvement materials for crafting and jewelry improvement materials, which is the needing of 10 grains to gain 1 improvement material. You don't need to collect 10 sap in order to make 1 pitch, for instance. I would say make all crafting improvement styles the same, in that they either need 10 of some lesser aspect of a single improvement material or remove the need for having 10 grains on jewelry improvement materials. The functional difference is a bit annoying between the collection of crafting types, IMO. Otherwise, I would say that the jewelry crafting system is on par with everything else besides the grains concept. The difference is folks forgot how much of a pain it was to research traits or gather a stock of materials in the beginning. It was basically just as much of a pain but eventually we built up stock.
    Edited by megasurge93 on October 3, 2018 11:36AM
    "Illusion is the first of all pleasures." ~Oscar Wilde
  • GallantGuardian
    GallantGuardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting grains from deconstructing is absurd.

Give us the platings at least this system is terrible and should be uniform with the other crafting jobs

Yes I’m complaining cause I don’t want to grind that much ... I don’t mind a grind but cmon

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »
    Nope because sooner or later it will get just like any other mat to find.
    In the mean time I take what I get and move on. Lots more to do than whine about how we cant get platings everytime we turn over a rock.

you know HOW stuff like this gets fixed? Constant complaint.
    PCMR EU.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is indeed an inequality between standard improvement materials for crafting and jewelry improvement materials, which is the needing of 10 grains to gain 1 improvement material. You don't need to collect 10 sap in order to make 1 pitch, for instance. I would say make all crafting improvement styles the same, in that they either need 10 of some lesser aspect of a single improvement material or remove the need for having 10 grains on jewelry improvement materials. The functional difference is a bit annoying between the collection of crafting types, IMO. Otherwise, I would say that the jewelry crafting system is on par with everything else besides the grains concept. The difference is folks forgot how much of a pain it was to research traits or gather a stock of materials in the beginning. It was basically just as much of a pain but eventually we built up stock.

hang on, you think either getting tempers/resins/tanins should be as hard as platings OR make gathering platings easier and you don't mind which?

Coz you know, I think the vast majority of people would be enraged if getting tempers/resins/tanins became as much of a ballache as platings.
    PCMR EU.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting grains from deconstructing is absurd.

Give us the platings at least this system is terrible and should be uniform with the other crafting jobs

Yes I’m complaining cause I don’t want to grind that much ... I don’t mind a grind but cmon

it is indeed the worst and most needless grind in MMO history
    Edited by stitchesofdooom on October 3, 2018 1:16PM
    PCMR EU.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They just need to do away with this whole grain nonsense and give us platings. No other crafting has it like this.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I WANT MY CHEAP JEWELRY!!!! [/sarcasm]

Now that that is out of the way. I think the system now is at least on-par, and fair. With the addition of refinable mats from blacksmithing nodes, and the reduction in the number of platings that you need to upgrade in half, it is a grind, but a manageable grind.

Granted I do writs on 15 toons a day, I have gotten well over 30 platings total since SS dropped, from the grains I get doing the writs, to refining materials gotten from the surveys and mat farming, and from deconning gold jewelry that drops in doing vet trials. The sources are there, and it MUST be a grind to get, otherwise the gold-sink that is the golden vendor becomes useless, and without that gold-sink, the economy in-game would change, whether for the better or worse depends on if you already have the gold or not. Just because you don't want to put the work in to get the materials, does not mean that they should be easy or cheap to acquire. Go back to playing the game at launch, it was a ludicrous grind to make anything gold level initially... God, the grind to get CP160 gear, when IC came out, the only way was to farm the sewers for GEAR, and decon it, to get 1 (yes ONE, and only 1) Rubidite Ingot, Ruby Ash Wood, Ancestor Silk, or Rubedo Leather. Getting the nearly 800 you need for a full set of gear was easily 10x worse than this jewelry crafting grind. Then they opened Orsinium, and it was the only place in the game that had CP160 nodes to harvest, and they were nowhere to be found, because everybody was there farming them!

The master writs you get aren't quite worth it, but then again, neither were the other master writs when they first dropped, they were ridiculously expensive to buy initially, and then the materials prices were higher. Heck, just because of jewelry crafting the price of Rubidite Ingots has dropped from like 25g/piece down to 6g/piece, and Tempering Alloy has come down from 8k/piece to about 4k/piece. So you're saving 32k gold everytime you upgrade a weapon because of jewelry crafting being introduced, also making it cheaper for you to do you blacksmithing writs and master writs.

TL:DR Quit whining.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think that jewelry should be as easy to gold out as other equipment, so I'm fine with there being some grind to it.

I do top tier writs on 9 toons daily, and get 2-5 chromium grains from those. My problem is actually a shortage of zircon; I think the top tier reward boxes should always drop at least a zircon grain, with a small chance of dropping a chromium grain.

And yes, deconning should return a plating, not a grain, and it should always return exactly 1 plating.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think that jewelry should be as easy to gold out as other equipment, so I'm fine with there being some grind to it.

I do top tier writs on 9 toons daily, and get 2-5 chromium grains from those. My problem is actually a shortage of zircon; I think the top tier reward boxes should always drop at least a zircon grain, with a small chance of dropping a chromium grain.

And yes, deconning should return a plating, not a grain, and it should always return exactly 1 plating.

I have the same issue I'm almost getting more gold grains then zircon.

Why is zircon so rare I've only been able to craft 3 purple quality items since this all dropped its very annoying.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kind of on the fence here. I think they're close to being "OK", but not quite there yet.

As some have pointed out, Zircon is still a pain point since there's no easy way to obtain it. I get wanting to keep HM trials and the golden vendor special, but I think we can lower the mat costs just a bit more and everything will be in-line.

Adding a hireling would help with the Zircon as well.

And to everyone saying they don't get enough Chromium, just get some alts to 50, buy a mountain of platinum bars, have your main toon make a few hundred platinum rings at a time, and just decon your way to max JC on all your alts. Takes a few hours, but I get 1-2 grains a day with max JC toons.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just farm vet trials. You get gold jewelry, you decon anything you don't need = loads of grains and plates.

Just farm vet dungeons. Your get purple jewelry, you decon anything you don't need = loads of grains and plates.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Granted I do writs on 15 toons a day, I have gotten well over 30 platings total since SS dropped, from the grains I get doing the writs, to refining materials gotten from the surveys and mat farming, and from deconning gold jewelry that drops in doing vet trials. The sources are there, and it MUST be a grind to get, otherwise the gold-sink that is the golden vendor becomes useless, and without that gold-sink, the economy in-game would change, whether for the better or worse depends on if you already have the gold or not. Just because you don't want to put the work in to get the materials, does not mean that they should be easy or cheap to acquire. Go back to playing the game at launch, it was a ludicrous grind to make anything gold level initially... God, the grind to get CP160 gear, when IC came out, the only way was to farm the sewers for GEAR, and decon it, to get 1 (yes ONE, and only 1) Rubidite Ingot, Ruby Ash Wood, Ancestor Silk, or Rubedo Leather. Getting the nearly 800 you need for a full set of gear was easily 10x worse than this jewelry crafting grind. Then they opened Orsinium, and it was the only place in the game that had CP160 nodes to harvest, and they were nowhere to be found, because everybody was there farming them!

Yes, but then ZOS relieved the pressure by making a complete zone farmable for CP160 mats with Wrothgar, and then the other zones shortly thereafter. So far, ZOS has hardly done anything to help with relieving the grind for Irridium or Zircon grains, if nothing else they reduced it by taking those out of the crating writs. Sure, I’m getting more Chromium grains now, but that doesn’t do much good if I don’t have the other improvement mats to go along with it. I still think they need a hireling to help with that.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »

Yes, but then ZOS relieved the pressure by making a complete zone farmable for CP160 mats with Wrothgar, and then the other zones shortly thereafter. So far, ZOS has hardly done anything to help with relieving the grind for Irridium or Zircon grains, if nothing else they reduced it by taking those out of the crating writs. Sure, I’m getting more Chromium grains now, but that doesn’t do much good if I don’t have the other improvement mats to go along with it. I still think they need a hireling to help with that.

You can run vet dungeons, or farm dolmens for purple rings to decon, or chest farm in a zone (some are even worth a good chunk of gold, more than the grain would be worth). Gold is harder to get because it requires a 12 man raid, IMO the system is fair, and provides ample places to get each of them. Since many people can't do the 12 man content regularly, you can get them through writs.

Would a hireling be nice... yes, I'd certainly put the skill points into it, I do for all the other crafts

ZoS already reduced the grind, by halving the platings needed, increasing the drop rate of dust (adding them to blacksmithing nodes). The only complaint I have is that the jewelry master writs aren't quite worth it yet... another 50% increase would make them worthwhile (they already virtually increased them by 8x with the platings reduction and the 4x increase in vouchers)

edited to add chest farming to purple jewelry source
    Edited by tmbrinks on October 3, 2018 5:58PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My frustration is getting Slaughter stones and Dawn Prisms when I am a solo player. I'm definitely not into Trials!!!!! There are many solo players in this game and there should be an alternative way to source. Its unreasonable to have to purchase jewelry in the Guilds to deconstruct on the mere slight chance that perhaps you will get these gems...especially when the jewelry is SO EXPENSIVE!
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have about 20 or so jewlery master writs I cant do. The ones worth about 30 vouchers sell for 500-900 gold so they are not even worth selling. I'm about to start destroying them for the bank space.

I've upgraded one piece to gold and one to purple since JC launch and sold one or two gold platings. I harvest all the mats I can to refine and I go writs on 2 character a day, sometimes 3
    Beta tester November 2013
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    I also have about 20 or so jewlery master writs I cant do. The ones worth about 30 vouchers sell for 500-900 gold so they are not even worth selling. I'm about to start destroying them for the bank space.

I've upgraded one piece to gold and one to purple since JC launch and sold one or two gold platings. I harvest all the mats I can to refine and I go writs on 2 character a day, sometimes 3

Well there's your problem. You have to do writs on 15 characters a day. Even the Tier 1 writ reward crates will drop Surveys, so you'll have plenty of raw mats to refine.

I've probably improved 10 jewelry pieces to Gold since they reduced the number of platings needed, and I don't buy grains or platings, I only use what I acquire organically.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe some people are describing this BS system as "fair".

It takes 30 zircin grains to get a piece of jewelry from blue to purple, yet deconstructing one purple jewelry piece MIGHT give you one grain. ONE?? You should get platings from deconstructed jewelry.

Then, of course, jewelry seams pop up sometimes. They respawn instead of ore about 1/3 of the time and too many people cherrypick seams so that doesn't help.

Jewelry improvement materials are easily at least 10 times harder to gather than any other improvement materials. Zenimax are taking the ***.
    PCMR EU.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Granted I do writs on 15 toons a day

How are you resourcing that?

Take jewelry, that's a min. of 300 platinum required per day... requiring, minimum, you farm 3000+ platinum dust per day, or in the vicinity of 1000 nodes.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came here to post about this very thing. Ive been playing about three months and level 50 JC for two months. I remember reading that AND I quote "Those who pursue jewelry crafting will be greatly rewarded".
    After two months I have a total of two chromium platings and 12 JC master writs. It takes four platings to gold a piece of jewelry which means I need ten more platings to gold my rings and necklace. So it takes a YEAR? I do my dailies every day and refine about 700 dust a week. Add to that golding a piece of jewelry really doesnt seem to increase the stats much. I only was recently able to purple everything due to dolmen runs and deconstructing.

Now I could buy my platings but my question is what are the great rewards? I got my second chromium plating tonight and it just didn't sit well with me. I enjoy the game and nobody is forcing me to pursue JC but really the entire JC system is really worthless. What are the great rewards? Jeez maybe a JC mount or even a pointy hat and a carrot nose?
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get fewer zircon grains than chromium grains during the refining process (and I get very few chromium grains). There should be a noticeable increase in the frequency zircon grains drop when compared to chromium grains.
    Edited by Maryal on October 7, 2018 9:02AM
  • sola281
    sola281
    Jewelry is the only craft where make purple gear is harder than making yellow/gold level.
  • srmalloy
    srmalloy
    You don't need to collect 10 sap in order to make 1 pitch, for instance. I would say make all crafting improvement styles the same.

The only thing that I've found that even approximates this in other parts of crafting is the way that Medium armor appears to be discriminated against in collecting materials. Metals and fibers, you gather a node and get 2-4 of the material. Leather, you find a mob that drops leather, kill it, and it might drop one scrap of material, or very rarely two. Yes, you get XP from killing the mob that drops the material, but that also helps to push your level up, requiring more of the material to craft level-appropriate gear, or even (at intervals) pushing you to a higher tier material. It doesn't come within an order of magnitude of the same annoyance as jewelry crafting, but it's still annoying. And I haven't been playing long enough to have characters high enough to need to make decisions about whether to use the improvement mats or not; I'm sure that jewelry crafting will only become more annoying with time.

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

Take jewelry, that's a min. of 300 platinum required per day... requiring, minimum, you farm 3000+ platinum dust per day, or in the vicinity of 1000 nodes.

do you do your survey reports? They help. But basically just farm farm farm
    PCMR EU.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2 necklaces or 3 rings are 30 platinum, 1 of each are 25. So to do platinum writs on 15 toons per day, it averages to 255 platinum oz per day. You'll get about 3 surveys/day, which will yield 35-40 ounces. You'll also get about 25 ounces/day from deconstructing the jewelry in the coffers. That leaves you at about a stack per day deficit. But, rather than farming, buy stacks of platinum in zone chat. That stack will allow you to do 12 writs, and since they seem to be dropping chromium grains about 25% of the time, that means you'll get 3. If grains are going for about 7.5k each, then 22.5k is your break even on the stacks. But you can buy them for half that, so it's profitable.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

2 necklaces or 3 rings are 30 platinum, 1 of each are 25. So to do platinum writs on 15 toons per day, it averages to 255 platinum oz per day. You'll get about 3 surveys/day, which will yield 35-40 ounces. You'll also get about 25 ounces/day from deconstructing the jewelry in the coffers. That leaves you at about a stack per day deficit. But, rather than farming, buy stacks of platinum in zone chat. That stack will allow you to do 12 writs, and since they seem to be dropping chromium grains about 25% of the time, that means you'll get 3. If grains are going for about 7.5k each, then 22.5k is your break even on the stacks. But you can buy them for half that, so it's profitable.

There is still no excuse for how much of a pain it is to gather even a handful of platings.
    PCMR EU.