Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry crafting: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

stitchesofdooom
stitchesofdooom
✭✭✭✭
I'd say "platings are comically rare" but there's nothing funny about it.

Nobody can do even 10% of the Jewelry Master Writs we get becuase there are just far too few platings.
And why does deconstructing a piece of jewelry only return a single grain... if you're lucky? You should at least get a plating back.

STOP IT with the grains already. We need at the absolute least 10 times the platings we have to be able to do these GDMF Master Writs. Jewelry crafting is the absolute worst grind in any MMO that ever existed.

[Edit to remove demands]

[edit re: edit] Am I allowed to "strongly insist" that Zenimax fixes this system so that plating gathering becomes much more like other crafting skills?

Changes that need to be made:

*Deconstructed jewelry should return platings, not grains.
*Purple and gold platings should be rewarded for completing jewelry writs.
*Ideally, pulverised trait stones and grains should be replaced with whole trait stones and platings.
*Give us a Jewelry Hireling.
*Increace the chance of non-jewelry Master Writs: we seem to be getting more jewelry MW than any of the others.
*99% of non-JC master writs are now for less than 10 vouchers: fix this immediately.
*Increace the chance of trait jewelry drops from daily crafting writs and include all new traits the JC sytem introduced.
*Take PvP-exclusive jewelry trait drops out of PvP exclusivity. Some of us came for the PvE. Just make certain kinds of jewelry more likely to drop in certain situations.
*Allow us to decon all pre-JC jewelry. You stopped us to keep from hoarding before the system was added but now there are still jewelry pieces floating about that we should be able to decon. This is painfully unimmersive. MxR would be disgusted. Zenimax needs Immersion Scientists asap.
*Add Jeweler NPC and Jeweler's sign.
*Allow us to decon exemplaries.
Edited by stitchesofdooom on February 16, 2019 12:37AM
Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
PCMR EU.
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a need to fix. To me master writs are there to reduce quantity of mats in the economy. You do master writs when it's economical to do it. If it's not you don't do them. It's OK to just destroy the writ. You don't have to do it just because it's there.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I agree that jewelry writs are not worth it, the cost is still to high but that may change over time. I think they changes Zos made a couple months ago which reduced the required matts to upgrade was a desirable change. It permits Zos to keep jewelry crafting more special than the rest of the crafting as they stated was their intent but makes it more obtainable.

So, for now I suggest not doing jewelry crafting master writs.

[Minor edit to remove mention of removed content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on September 25, 2018 5:02PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the writs, I just want to make Jewelry for my characters. One, yes 1 Chromium plate since this launched. Just refined it this week. One, yes 1 Purple Plate since launch, although I have a couple of purple dusts.

The whole dust thing needs to go away.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of the frustration could be fixed by increasing the amount of platings from green to purple and keep the gold platings the same. If we could at least get these rings to purple ai think most people would feel good about it. Then to gold is another thing that is still rare and frustrating.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • perogwin_ESO
    perogwin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the OP, yes the changes they made did help a bit, but only to the Blue Quality Level - Purple and Gold are still WAY over the top for a casual players game income in most cases. It was fine if you were mining raw materials and got the dust, it the same as the raw mats for all the rest of the crafting. The problem is with every other crafting item you can break down you have a chance to receive the upgrade item in its entirety, not just a raw version of it you then have to refine again. The fact that I have to hold onto all these writs just to finally hope to be able to make Epic Quality items is ridiculous, sure with Legendary I see having to wait for enough plantings, but for purples...no, just no.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah. The whole grain thing then needing 10 grains to make a plating. It’s a bit excessive. Should be just like everything else. Break down a piece, have a chance to get a plating. Not a tenth of a plating.

I’m glad they made it take less, but it’s still not enough.

As it is now, gonna cost just shy of a mil to make one gold piece.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, who even uses this system for anything else than transmuting dropped jewellery.

It could have been nice, but the grain stuff makes it such a grind abomination, I didn't even bother to level it on my crafter.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    Lol, who even uses this system for anything else than transmuting dropped jewellery.

I would certainly like to, given transmute crystals do not exist outside of PvP or group content and are therefore something I obtain very infrequently. Instrad, they made the system basically unusable. Still haven’t crafted anything.
    Edited by Starlock on September 25, 2018 5:35PM
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. This system is agonizingly restrictive. I have 20 or so master crafting writs I cannot do because the system as it stands does not provide ample mats. Jewelry crafting is a welcomed part of the game, but FFS let us play the game!
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewlery master writs we’re buffed to make cost per writ voucher more in line with the other master writs. All that matters is gold cost per writ voucher. Which is crafting cost divided by voucher payout on the master writ. It should be between 0 and ~600 gold per voucher. If it is more than that or you feel you can’t craft the master writ, sell the master writ.

When I sell a master writ, I like to make the same money as if I did craft it. So I price them so cost for master writ plus craft cost divided by number of writ vouchers equals about 1000 gold. Smart players won’t buy them. Players desperate for writ vouchers will (begrudgingly) buy the master writ so they can craft it.

You should only be buying master writs that are max of like 600 gold per voucher. Best you can do is convert vouchers to tangible goods and sell that at rate of 1000 gold per voucher.

There are addons to help with all this.

Your mileage may vary. Don’t flame me please.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    Jewlery master writs we’re buffed to make cost per writ voucher more in line with the other master writs. All that matters is gold cost per writ voucher. Which is crafting cost divided by voucher payout on the master writ. It should be between 0 and ~600 gold per voucher. If it is more than that or you feel you can’t craft the master writ, sell the master writ.

When I sell a master writ, I like to make the same money as if I did craft it. So I price them so cost for master writ plus craft cost divided by number of writ vouchers equals about 1000 gold. Smart players won’t buy them. Players desperate for writ vouchers will (begrudgingly) buy the master writ so they can craft it.

You should only be buying master writs that are max of like 600 gold per voucher. Best you can do is convert vouchers to tangible goods and sell that at rate of 1000 gold per voucher.

I follow this train of thought. If I receive a master writ during in turn in, I won't do it unless I can calculate the material cost to be less than 1,000 gold per writ voucher. I aim for 500-700 ideally. This is why I often sell the legendary blacksmithing/woodowkring master writs in that 40-55 w.v. range.

When purchasing master writs from traders, I target the epic ones priced at 500 per voucher or less. I have a slew of purple tempers and exponentially more of blue and green, so I really don't factor in a cost for the lower tier temps as I will never run out.

My favorite ones are the epic nirnhoned shields or leather armors master writs in the 17-20 range. The return on investment for those is tremendous.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    Agreed. This system is agonizingly restrictive. I have 20 or so master crafting writs I cannot do because the system as it stands does not provide ample mats. Jewelry crafting is a welcomed part of the game, but FFS let us play the game!

"agonizingly restrictive"... yep, you just nailed it.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »

I never spend more than 500g/voucher reward. I can sell some jewelry master writs, but the community as a whole - every individual in face, is finding it impossible to do even a reasonable percentage of these jewelry master writs.

It's like selling you an FPS and giving you 12 bullets for the whole game.
    PCMR EU.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The jewelry writs do need to get better rewards.

As far as rarity though, I think platings are actually ok. One chromium playing on PC NA is worth about 75k. So to upgrade a piece of jewelry from purple to gold costs 300k. That’s not much over the 250k that gold jewelry costs at the Golden, and you don’t have to wait years for your desired set to show up for sale. If it gets much cheaper then there will be no point in having the Golden vendor.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    The jewelry writs do need to get better rewards.

As far as rarity though, I think platings are actually ok. One chromium playing on PC NA is worth about 75k. So to upgrade a piece of jewelry from purple to gold costs 300k. That’s not much over the 250k that gold jewelry costs at the Golden, and you don’t have to wait years for your desired set to show up for sale. If it gets much cheaper then there will be no point in having the Golden vendor.

Then the golden vendor should should be updated to get new stuff. It's still expensive AF and you have to check every week for months to get what you're looking for. Not to mention that stuff is rare and more expensive anyway due to the goldness of it. They still sell masks and tempers, resins and tanins are plentiful.

Improved reqards for jewelry writ vouchers is fine an all, but there are a lot of completionists that like to complete master writs. I've had Summerset since launch and I still don't have enough Chromium to upgrade all my own jewelry on a single char. And Chromium plating is more expensive on EU server it seems. Seen em for about 100k, maybe that has reduced by now.

I see your points but it doesn't change the fact that Jewelry crafting is a horrid, awful, maddening, agonizingly restrictive (thanks for that Mintaka5) grind.
    PCMR EU.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only people with summerset can refine jewlery. So yeah. That happens
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »

Yeah, really should be base game tbf. Poor Base Game Only noobs...
    PCMR EU.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It could have been nice, but the grain stuff makes it such a grind abomination, I didn't even bother to level it on my crafter.

I do. Extensively.

I have so many more alts that need jewelry achievement completion...
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, yep, it's a transmute only thing. Only leveling the one crafter in it since the writs are useless.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »

Yeah, really should be base game tbf. Poor Base Game Only noobs...
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »

Lol, yep, it's a transmute only thing. Only leveling the one crafter in it since the writs are useless.

at least you still get gold and the accasional chromium grain from doing the dailies
    PCMR EU.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    totally gave up on making anything blue/purple for my cp160 toons.
    Instead I'll make white/green low level jewelry for my low level toons.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »
    totally gave up on making anything blue/purple for my cp160 toons.
    Instead I'll make white/green low level jewelry for my low level toons.

not even remotely worth improving jewelry unless it's CP160. The rest of my gear: green up to about lv30-40, blue for lv 40-cp50ish. Purple to CP150 and, of course, gold after that.

Can't do that with jewelry.
    PCMR EU.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done any master writs for jewelry yet on PC na. If I get one I either donate it to the guild if it is somewhat doable or just deystroy It if it isn't.

I have made 1 set of purple julianos for my main and a set of tourogs for a lowbie. I want to be able to craft jewelry for my characters so I'm not going to waste my purple and gold mats on writs.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    until they fix this BS, Jewelry writs will be mostly worthless
    PCMR EU.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMFG I've been trying to get enough Zircon plating to complete a jewelry writ. I need the vouchers but I'm also trying to save up gold so I don't want to buy master writs. I've not been recieving much in the way of master writs recently which is a massive pain in the arse.

I've got a few more jewelry writs, of course tho *grr*
    PCMR EU.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since launch I gathered ONE chromium plating which I used for my Alinor clock, of course :)

Something has to be done about the zircon and chromium... Maybe being able to buy grains with vouchers, transmute crystals, or other currency would be a solution? Or making the dust drop from nodes at a small drop rate.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must have sacrificed a virgin chicken to the right RNG deity yesterday as I refined 1,200 platinum ore and returned 12 chromium grains, 13 zircon grains, 20 iridium grains and 17 terne grains.....

If course now I know I won't see another chromium grain for 2 months, but that's how it goes...
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• craftycarper73
    craftycarper73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The annoying thing for me is i can only research 1 piece of jewellery at a time, why not 2, a ring and necklace, i have to wait 7 days to be able to start researching the last trait on ring(swift) then i have to wait a month before i can research the same on necks. I can research multiple items on other crafts but not jewellery.

Im not wasting writs on research scrolls, just refuse to, that system should never of been introduced.

#grindfest #timesink
    Born, Bred & Made in Manchester UK, RIP 22 Angels. 22/05/2017

PC-EU

The Place by Tony Walsh Please Read
    This is the place in the North West of England

It’s ace, it’s the best and the songs that we sing

From the stands, from our bands set the whole planet shaking

Our inventions are legends! There’s nowt we can’t make and

So we make brilliant music. We make brilliant bands

We make goals that make souls leap from seats in the stands

And we make things from steel and we make things from cotton

And we make people laugh, take the mick summat rotten

And we make you at home and we make you feel welcome

And we make summat happen, we can’t seem to help it

And if you’re looking for history then yes, we’ve a wealth

But the Manchester way is to make it yourself

And make us a record, a new number one

And make us a brew while you’re up, love. Go on!

And make us feel proud that you’re winning the league

And make us sing louder and make us believe it

that this is the place that has helped shape the world

And that this the place where a Manchester girl

Name of Emmeline Pankhurst from the streets of Moss Side

Led a Suffragette City with sisterhood pride

And this is the place with appliance of science

We’re on it, atomic, we strut with defiance

In the face of a challenge we always stand tall

Mancunians in union delivered it all

Such as housing and libraries, and health, education

And unions and co-ops, the first railway station

So we’re sorry! Bear with us! We invented commuters!

But we hope you forgive us – we invented computers!

And this is the place Henry Royce strolled with Rolls

And we’ve rocked and we’ve rolled with our own Northern Soul

And so this is the place to do business, then dance

Where go-getters and goal setters know they’ve a chance

And this is the place where we first played as kids

And me Mam lived and died here, she loved it she did

And this is the place where our folks came to work

Where they struggled in puddles, they hurt in the dirt

And they built us a city. They built us these towns

And they coughed on the cobbles to the deafening sound

Of the steaming machines and the screaming of slaves

They were scheming for greatness, they dreamed to their graves

And they left us a spirit, they left us a vibe

The Mancunian Way to survive and to thrive

And to work and to build, to connect and create and

Greater Manchester’s greatness is keeping it great

And so this is the place now we’ve kids of our own

Some are born here, some drawn here but we all call it home

And they’ve covered the cobbles, but they’ll never defeat

All the dreamers and schemers who still teem through these streets

Because this is a place that has been through some hard times

Oppressions, recessions, depressions and dark times

But we keep fighting back with Greater Manchester spirit

Northern grit, northern wit in Greater Manchester’s lyrics

And there’s hard times again in these streets of our city

But we won’t take defeat and we don’t want your pity

Because this a place where we stand strong together

With a smile on our face, Mancunians Forever

And we’ve got this* as the place where a team with a dream (*Forever Manchester)

Can get funding and something to help with their scheme

Because this is the place that understands your grand plans

We don’t do No Can Do, we just stress Yes We Can!

Forever Manchester’s a charity for people round ‘ere

You can fundraise, donate. You can be a volunteer

You can live local, give local. We can honestly say

We do charity differently, that Mancunian Way

And we fund local kids, and we fund local teams

We support local dreamers to work for their dreams

We support local groups and the great work they do

So can you …help us help… local people like you?

Because this is the place in our hearts, in our homes

Because this is the place that’s a part of our bones

‘Cos Greater Manchester gives us such strength from the fact

That this is the place. We should give something back.

Always remember. Never forget. Forever Manchester.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you got multiple platings from 10 grains, and platings were returned from deconstructing jewelry instead of grains, the system wouldn't be so effin awful
    PCMR EU.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Zircon production seems to be set at the same level as Chromium.

Chromium grains now turning up on Writs and Blacksmith Resource drops, Zircon is not.

This actually (whether intentionally or not) makes Zircon rarer than Chromium which bottlenecks the whole upgrade process.

Another example of ZOS messing up Jewellers!
    Edited by Malborn66 on October 2, 2018 10:07AM