The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

Healing ward lost the upfront heal?

• Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    polgarah wrote: »
    Since Zos has clearly gimped the ability of dps to survive purely by themselves by spamming shields I almost feel like there is now some sort of external support source necessary in order to succesfully overcome and complete group content. Maybe we can invent a new role that is specialized in patching people up and keeping dps and tanks alive. Let's call it 'healer' or something...

Healer isn't gonna help endgame through 1 shot mechanics.

exactly, that is why resistances and attributes such as health and stamina exist to to avoid 1shots and even completely avoid certain damage by dodgeroll. You know, all those things that no dps ever puts into his build ? This change makes them useful again. DPS will change their build to sacrifice a bit of dps for survivability to avoid 1 shots and the healer does the rest. DPS sees their health suddenly drop to 5% (but not 1shot !!) ? Healer responds with casting healing ward and then heals that dps up to full. That's how it was intended to be. And now also confirmed again by the devs themselves in today's PTS patch notes:

"
    Steadfast Ward
    Healing Ward (morph): Removed the initial heal from this ability (this change was originally in last week’s PTS patch).
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

The goal of Steadfast Ward and morphs is to protect low health targets while other sources of healing are restoring their health. The Healing Ward morph was too powerful because it was providing both a strong shield and healing to the target."

That's exactly the point, steadfast ward just give you a few seconds in order to heal the player out of range. It wasn't a such burst heal ever, just a breath.

So, Who needs the blackrose resto staff now? They don't have any clue about what they're doing, nobody will want this staff anymore. Well done guys! you are sabotaging yourself!

To be fair if I had healing ward on live + that resto staff I would be able to spam ward on my templar and never die. Well, it would be like that on my DK and warden too...
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing ward is useless now in PvP ... I’m just gonna run Ward Ally with the Blackrose set now
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    polgarah wrote: »
    Since Zos has clearly gimped the ability of dps to survive purely by themselves by spamming shields I almost feel like there is now some sort of external support source necessary in order to succesfully overcome and complete group content. Maybe we can invent a new role that is specialized in patching people up and keeping dps and tanks alive. Let's call it 'healer' or something...

Healer isn't gonna help endgame through 1 shot mechanics.

exactly, that is why resistances and attributes such as health and stamina exist to to avoid 1shots and even completely avoid certain damage by dodgeroll. You know, all those things that no dps ever puts into his build ? This change makes them useful again. DPS will change their build to sacrifice a bit of dps for survivability to avoid 1 shots and the healer does the rest. DPS sees their health suddenly drop to 5% (but not 1shot !!) ? Healer responds with casting healing ward and then heals that dps up to full. That's how it was intended to be. And now also confirmed again by the devs themselves in today's PTS patch notes:

"
    Steadfast Ward
    Healing Ward (morph): Removed the initial heal from this ability (this change was originally in last week’s PTS patch).
    Developer Comment:
    Spoiler

The goal of Steadfast Ward and morphs is to protect low health targets while other sources of healing are restoring their health. The Healing Ward morph was too powerful because it was providing both a strong shield and healing to the target."

That's exactly the point, steadfast ward just give you a few seconds in order to heal the player out of range. It wasn't a such burst heal ever, just a breath.

So, Who needs the blackrose resto staff now? They don't have any clue about what they're doing, nobody will want this staff anymore. Well done guys! you are sabotaging yourself!

To be fair if I had healing ward on live + that resto staff I would be able to spam ward on my templar and never die. Well, it would be like that on my DK and warden too...

Spamming embers would net better results since it's cheap AF
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • polgarah
    polgarah
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    To be fair if I had healing ward on live + that resto staff I would be able to spam ward on my templar and never die. Well, it wound be like that on my DK and warden too...

Well, I’m talking about PvE mostly but you’re right. Maybe the only issue is that you couldn’t be the player with the lowest health. I have HW in my pvp build now and many times is going to another member of my group but in PvE with my warden healer is a life savior
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    healing ward is the most broken defensive skill in the game, it has always been, i can't think in something more frustrating that fighthing a player clutching on healing ward, is harder to kill than a 50k HP permablock tank, and it doesn't require investing in anything except having a restostaff in the backbar. The only way of kill a good player clutching in healing ward in a 1v1 is by bursting him from 100 to 0, or doing some shenanigans like baiting him into an offensive combo.

I would probably made the change different tho, instead of removing the initial health i would increase the cost and reduce the shield scaling at low health. Seems like ZoS really want light armor builds to slot a heal
    Edited by ManDraKE on September 24, 2018 11:47PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    healing ward is the most broken defensive skill in the game, it has always been, i can't think in something more frustrating that fighthing a player clutching on healing ward, is harder to kill than a 50k HP permablock tank, and it doesn't require investing in anything except having a restostaff in the backbar. The only way of kill a good player clutching in healing ward in a 1v1 is by bursting him from 100 to 0, or doing some shenanigans like baiting him into an offensive combo.

I would probably made the change different tho, instead of removing the initial health i would increase the cost and reduce the shield scaling at low health. Seems like ZoS really want light armor builds to slot a heal

Yeah that initial 2k heal was extremely overpowered.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if you actually take the time to read my post, you will see that i said that the problem with healing ward is not the heal, but the insane scaling of the shield size at low health. The 300% scaling is absurd, to the point where even spamming executes with a high damage build won't kill the target.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

if you actually take the time to read my post, you will see that i said that the problem with healing ward is not the heal, but the insane scaling of the shield size at low health. The 300% scaling is absurd, to the point where even spamming executes with a high damage build won't kill the target.

No I read it I just felt like being salty towards the changes.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

and now you will be able to crit against the shield, which cannot crit. seems fair.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Multiple executes scale to 300% damage based on missing health. Steadfast ward was a direct counter. Nothing "insane" or "absurd" about it all.

• ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and now you will be able to crit against the shield, which cannot crit. seems fair.

that's something i probably need to test on PTS before giving my opinion, i'm not sure that's going to make a big difference in this particular case.
    katorga wrote: »

Multiple executes scale to 300% damage based on missing health. Steadfast ward was a direct counter. Nothing "insane" or "absurd" about it all.

Anyone who actually plays PvP can instantly say is bs. If the guy manages to CC break and apply healing ward, fight is reset, you won't kill a good player clutching on healing ward.
    Edited by ManDraKE on September 25, 2018 2:29AM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that's something i probably need to test on PTS before giving my opinion, i'm not sure that's going to make a big difference in this particular case.

Anyone who actually plays PvP can instantly say is bs. If the guy manages to CC break and apply healing ward, fight is reset, you won't kill a good player clutching on healing ward.

A big thing about the ward at least on classes like mag nb and mag sorc was that it needed to be stacked with other shields to go off.

What i thought was strong was when it was used on classes like mag dk/ mag templar who threw on the ward when at low hp and then took the time to heal because you couldn't take the ward off in time to do that. Classes with actual heals made ward so clutch and strong.

Now with the pts changes this is only going to get stronger, good luck killing a magplar who throws on a ward which now has 25-30k armour. Great change.

Zos managed to nerf glass cannon type classes like light mag nb/ mag sorc who were already weak open world yet somehow have buffed heavy magplars which are already a real struggle to kill.

PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    patch notes don't say.

If it did, its a bug.

It is in the patch notes.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

A big thing about the ward at least on classes like mag nb and mag sorc was that it needed to be stacked with other shields to go off.

What i thought was strong was when it was used on classes like mag dk/ mag templar who threw on the ward when at low hp and then took the time to heal because you couldn't take the ward off in time to do that. Classes with actual heals made ward so clutch and strong.

Now with the pts changes this is only going to get stronger, good luck killing a magplar who throws on a ward which now has 25-30k armour. Great change.

Zos managed to nerf glass cannon type classes like light mag nb/ mag sorc who were already weak open world yet somehow have buffed heavy magplars which are already a real struggle to kill.

And can be crit.
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know it's quite awkward when this change should be implemented on 4.2.1 patch, but it's implemented on 4.2.0 patch accidentally (or intentionally?). That really make me think... these changes sound more like planned and scheduled at the beginning that have no any related with feedbacks. At least you can act like your changes are based on feedback, but it seems not really at all.
    Edited by What_In_Tarnation on September 25, 2018 7:42AM
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The goal of Steadfast Ward and morphs is to protect low health targets while other sources of healing are restoring their health. The Healing Ward morph was too powerful because it was providing both a strong shield and healing to the target."

...but I don't have other sources of healing. Does ZOS think there's some third morph of Vigor that costs magicka? Or do they think I'm about to put two shields and three HOTs on my backbar when I can just respec to stam and get by with Vigor and Troll King alone in heavy armor?

you still don't get it do you ? This is not a solo game ! YOU as dps are not supposed to have AND all the healing AND all shields AND all tankiness. This is a multiplayer game. You're supposed to be working together with a healer who has multiple sources of healing and if implemented correctly in the game you will come to love healers for just that. You can put an emergency shield on yourself but the healing comes from the healer which is another person. Right now that basic principle of mmorpgs has been in a defective state for way too long.

You really want to duke it out 1v1 with another dps ? Fine, dps eachother till your shields and health points run out but don't expect 10min fights where you both have all the healing powers on top of that to keep going on forever until 1 slips up.

Just look at the new gear and let it sink in. They clearly boost that exact intended principle of the healer emergency shielding the dps which gives him just enough breathing room to patch him up and even boost exactly that:

Mender’s Ward

2: Steadfast Ward applies Major Vitality to your target for 3 seconds, increasing the healing taken on your target by 30%.

Naga Shaman

2: Healing Taken
    3: Healing Done
    4: Max Magicka
    5: When you cast a damage shield ability, you gain Minor Mending and Minor Vitality for 6 seconds, increasing your healing done and healing received by 8%. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds

only a dedicated full healer role is capable of patching you up fast enough to counter burst dmge. It not your job role as dps.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "The goal of Steadfast Ward and morphs is to protect low health targets while other sources of healing are restoring their health. The Healing Ward morph was too powerful because it was providing both a strong shield and healing to the target."

...but I don't have other sources of healing. Does ZOS think there's some third morph of Vigor that costs magicka? Or do they think I'm about to put two shields and three HOTs on my backbar when I can just respec to stam and get by with Vigor and Troll King alone in heavy armor?

you still don't get it do you ? This is not a solo game ! YOU as dps are not supposed to have AND all the healing AND all shields AND all tankiness. This is a multiplayer game. You're supposed to be working together with a healer who has multiple sources of healing and if implemented correctly in the game you will come to love healers for just that. You can put an emergency shield on yourself but the healing comes from the healer which is another person. Right now that basic principle of mmorpgs has been in a defective state for way too long.

You really want to duke it out 1v1 with another dps ? Fine, dps eachother till your shields and health points run out but don't expect 10min fights where you both have all the healing powers on top of that to keep going on forever until 1 slips up.

Just look at the new gear and let it sink in. They clearly boost that exact intended principle of the healer emergency shielding the dps which gives him just enough breathing room to patch him up and even boost exactly that:

Mender’s Ward

2: Steadfast Ward applies Major Vitality to your target for 3 seconds, increasing the healing taken on your target by 30%.

Naga Shaman

5: When you cast a damage shield ability, you gain Minor Mending and Minor Vitality for 6 seconds, increasing your healing done and healing received by 8%. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds

only a dedicated full healer role is capable of patching you up fast enough to counter burst dmge. It not your job role as dps.

But solo/small scale pvp and vMA.
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mender’s Ward

Naga Shaman

as far as I see it small scale pvp also falls under multiplayer, just like 4 man dungeons in pve.

The only exceptions in the game are 1v1 duelling/pvp and vMA which is solo content indeed but still dependent on your chosen role's limitations. As a dps role type (for example sorc in this game) you are supposed to overcome the solo content by killing stuff before it kills you with minimal healing support. Your big dps -compared to tank or healer role- makes it possible.

As a pure healer the same solo content is overcome with alot of healing powers to stay alive but you don't have the dmge to kill stuff fast.

and even then, 1v1 duelling/pvp and vMA are the big and only exception in between all the vast multiplayer content this game is built around. There are 5 complete Elder Scrolls Offline games to choose from. This is not that game ;)
    Edited by profundidob16_ESO on September 25, 2018 11:30AM
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yay, keep nerfing shields so that the stam meets gets stronger. I cant even comprehend why this was done..
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

... You can crit wards now... If you couldn't kill a player in execute range before it's a bit of a L2P issue
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mender’s Ward

Naga Shaman

as far as I see it small scale pvp also falls under multiplayer, just like 4 man dungeons in pve.

The only exceptions in the game are 1v1 duelling/pvp and vMA which is solo content indeed but still dependent on your chosen role's limitations. As a dps role type (for example sorc in this game) you are supposed to overcome the solo content by killing stuff before it kills you with minimal healing support. Your big dps -compared to tank or healer role- makes it possible.

As a pure healer the same solo content is overcome with alot of healing powers to stay alive but you don't have the dmge to kill stuff fast.

and even then, 1v1 duelling/pvp and vMA are the big and only exception in between all the vast multiplayer content this game is built around. There are 5 complete Elder Scrolls Offline games to choose from. This is not that game ;)

you sounds like a zergling
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So dodge rolling or cloaking or going for your healing ultimate at execute range is ok ?

Lets remove counterplay and put a cast time on healing ward as well. Is 1 sec enough for you ?
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    The goal of Steadfast Ward and morphs is to protect low health targets while other sources of healing are restoring their health. The Healing Ward morph was too powerful because it was providing both a strong shield and healing to the target.

I would argue that in “true combat scenarios” nobody even gets a heal at the end because the shield has taken that much damage. The heal at the beginning should’ve been made a hot if it wasn’t already.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr.NRG wrote: »
    Reverb wrote: »
    Whoa, this is NOT an ok change.

I disagree, its geat and long needed change. HW has been so annoying, especially when your are a vamp cause with undeath passive unless you get bursted to death when your at a low health pool you become way to hard to kill. It sometimes takes 4-10 executes on a high dmg build to take these HW spamming people out to a point where you are better off to just walk away to next target instead of trying to punch through that and wasting your resources.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE it’s “just vamp undeath + healing ward” & not those + 25k resistances + blocking + 3.4k(+)crit resist

Because that’s what I run so if you think it’s solely healing ward + undeath you’re likely wrong.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mender’s Ward

Naga Shaman

Which heals are able to heal through 1-shot mechanics?
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mender’s Ward

Naga Shaman

So if I play Templar that means I shouldn’t be able to get a speed achievement or high leaderboard time on solo content because I “don’t have the damage to kill stuff fast” as you put it?
    Edited by kaithuzar on September 26, 2018 5:31AM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »

Mender’s Ward

Naga Shaman

So if I play Templar that means I shouldn’t be able to get a speed achievement or high leaderboard time on solo content because I “don’t have the damage to kill stuff fast” as you put it?

No, you don't understand. Role is not the same thing as class. Whether you choose Templar or another class, you can spec your build into a healer role, tank role or dps role. That is what wrote about, not your templar class
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mender’s Ward

Naga Shaman

Which heals are able to heal through 1-shot mechanics?

Why are you searching for non-existent skills to fix your own survivability problem while completely ignoring the game's basic obvious mechanics that serve exactly that purpose (health attribute, resistances, health glyphs...) when designing a new build for your dps ??

Sure people building a dps role can keep gimping themselves with 0 points in health attribute, no health echants and then come complaint here like you that you get 1 shot and expect a healing spell from ZOS that will raise you from the dead in addition to healing you to full ?? Please tell me this was a troll question...
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ No, but in order to be the best DD in PVP/BGs you have to maximize your magicka in both attributes and pools. And even many (if not all) armour enchants.

If ZOS designed this as a way to completely change combat mechanics of ESO, they should have said it in the patch notes. Certainly this wouldn't be just a single change for certain class, but a global thing.

But no, they just said - hey, we removed this because of that. Period. The patch notes so far look like they were made by ignorant people that never even tried the PVP environment.

Edited by maboleth on September 26, 2018 12:38PM
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am convinced that the people behind the scenes there that look into these sort of questions (Gilliam the rogue for instance) and all this in cooperation with the class representatives here on the forums are anything but ignorant so they do have a plan and know perfectly what they're doing but the total lack of transparency from ZOS towards the players is just staggering.

I really wish that everytime BEFORE making changes ZOS would communicate to the player community their vision, their combat balance plan and the resulting intended changes we can expect. Us players having to look at and analyzing their actions and mini notes and then 'guess' their global intentions and plan is soo frustrating.

And guess what ? After we succesfully 'guess' their intentions they eventually have to communicate them anyway by responding or elaborating in the patch notes.

the spoiler notes in some of the changes are super interesting but not enough. We want to know the big plans and shifts in combat and mechanics. We players need to hear the devs say things like for example: "We devs screwed up by making dps players way to selfsufficient, trivializing healers and now we're going to start a series of changes to fix that mistake". Then no one will have to question it and understand why some of these changes are intended.

As proof and illustration I've just picked 4 clear developer comments, 4 pieces that start to show the bigger picture to us players:

Developer Comment:

For the Swallow Soul morph, we wanted to retain the current functionality of dealing high damage, while also providing healing utility to yourself. The amount of healing provided to the group with Strife was so high that there wasn’t enough tradeoff with the morph choice. Now you can still get that super powerful group utility as before, but now it comes at a cost of reduced damage. This is the Funnel Health morph.

translation: you cannot have and huge dmge and huge healing, we devs intend it so that you must choose between biggest healing or biggest dmge

Developer Comment:

We want all classes to be intentional about when they land stuns on the enemy, and not have it coupled with an already highly damaging attack.

translation:
    you cannot have and big cc and dmge at the same time. You as a player need to choose between using cc or doing dmge.

Developer Comment:

Damage shields are very powerful because they can be used to instantly reduce incoming damage, and allow the user to stack offensive stats while also being very difficult to kill. Adding a cast time and increasing the duration makes this an ability to use proactively before damage happens, or at opportune times during combat.

translation: you cannot have maximized protection and doing maximized damage at the same time. You as a player need to choose which skill of those 2 you choose to cast.

Developer Comment:

Damage shields from multiple sources cannot be stacked. We want healing absorption to follow this same ruleset.

translation: we don't want players to become overpowered by stacking healing/shielding mechanics.

Edit: Announcing their plans for gameplay and balance would be a very nice section for ESO Live as well by the way. I don't know who we need to address for this but I'm hereby bringing it to the attention of the following persons:

@ZOS_RobGarrett

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by profundidob16_ESO on September 26, 2018 1:27PM