The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

In BG with a full group(except me) that had no impen...

MaxJrFTW
MaxJrFTW
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
One of them mentioned from the start that it was his 1st game ever, and all 3 of them were getting 1 shot constantly so it's obvious they weren't running any impen.

4-10
0-9
0-8
I was 4-3.

I thought this game had MMR?

"I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if it set people without a ranking as "average". So first time players would get slotted against "average" players rather than the least skilled.

Just speculation.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also you may be assuming that they have any interest in pvp in the first place, it’s been my experience that a lot of bg players are pve focused and have little to no interest or desire to do pvp. They are there because it’s far easier to get transmute stones that way than doing dungeons, or they want a motif or they are after vigor. Why do you think there are so many assault rank six players running around pve dungeons, it’s because by that point they have vigor, warhorn, caltrops and a huge pile of transmute stones and so have no reason to stay in a part of the game many of them actively hate
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And how many matches have you had were everyone does good? Do you just remember and post about the lopsided matches since they stick out the most? If you have played other pvp games you would know that matches like this happen. No system is perfect.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also you may be assuming that they have any interest in pvp in the first place, it’s been my experience that a lot of bg players are pve focused and have little to no interest or desire to do pvp. They are there because it’s far easier to get transmute stones that way than doing dungeons, or they want a motif or they are after vigor. Why do you think there are so many assault rank six players running around pve dungeons, it’s because by that point they have vigor, warhorn, caltrops and a huge pile of transmute stones and so have no reason to stay in a part of the game many of them actively hate

That's irrelevant to the discussion though. The game supposedly has an MMR system. I have played at least 300 bgs by now, definitely more 1st place finishes than 3rd place. I shouldn't be in a game with someone playing their 1st bg ever, or a full group of people without impen. These guys were actually dying instantly, 1 hit and they were dead. I doubt they even knew what impen was.
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »

That's irrelevant to the discussion though. The game supposedly has an MMR system. I have played at least 300 bgs by now, definitely more 1st place finishes than 3rd place. I shouldn't be in a game with someone playing their 1st bg ever, or a full group of people without impen. These guys were actually dying instantly, 1 hit and they were dead. I doubt they even knew what impen was.

Precisely my point, I get the same thing and all I want from bg the stupid motifs, you like bg, most players don’t, they want the rewards and the couldn’t care less about the finer points, THEY ARE NOT THERE TO PLAY PVP..... THEY PROBABLY HATE IT..... THEY JUST WANT THE STUFF THEY CANT GET ELSEWHERE, good greif.....

They don’t use inpen for the same reason most dungeon pugs tanks and healers are fake, they want the rewards but not the effort, they don’t give a toss about problems this causes for others, they just take their pve builds in there, hit stuff and hope for the best, I’ve done it myself with a dps tank. Run in, get loot and go. Half the time I’m watching tv while I do it :D
    Edited by Integral1900 on September 16, 2018 7:08AM
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Precisely my point, I get the same thing and all I want from bg the stupid motifs, you like bg, most players don’t, they want the rewards and the couldn’t care less about the finer points, THEY ARE NOT THERE TO PLAY PVP..... THEY PROBABLY HATE IT..... THEY JUST WANT THE STUFF THEY CANT GET ELSEWHERE, good greif.....

They don’t use inpen for the same reason most dungeon pugs tanks and healers are fake, they want the rewards but not the effort, they don’t give a toss about problems this causes for others, they just take their pve builds in there, hit stuff and hope for the best, I’ve done it myself with a dps tank. Run in, get loot and go. Half the time I’m watching tv while I do it :D

This has nothing to do with MMR dude...
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Battlegrounds is just random. You'll get all Grand Overlords and people dunking the enemy teams one match, and complete noobs with under 100 cp the next. Just roll with the punches. Losing matches and having crappy games isn't going to ruin your rank or whatever.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on September 16, 2018 10:46AM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game does have MMR, it just doesn't guarantee that noobs with no clue are only ever going to fight noobs with no clue.

I started a new character after the MMR was introduced. I wound up with a mixed bag in solo queue. Everything from focused groups to groups who wanted to deathmatch in a flag match. There was one group where 3 out of 4 of us had no idea what to do with a captured relic, and the other teams crushed us.

So I'm not sure what you want out of the MMR in this case. The BG population isn't that big, and while complete newbies stick out like a sore thumb, they are going to get mixed in with the general population and hopefully learn quickly.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, when you say MMR you are imagining a robust system like in CS, R6 or LoL. That is not the case. MMR in ESO is weird and half baked.

It is very prone to matching one high MMR player with 3 low MMR players because it takes into account the average MMR of the group. So matching this high MMR player with better players makes team MMR too high to find opponents. For example many pre-mades who have played hundreds BG matches are unable to queue together anymore because they have an hour+ waiting time.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR broken. All it does it slow down the queue. It doesn’t do *** to actually match you with equal opponents.
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    I dont run impen.
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Games like this don't have enough players queuing for a well functioning matchmaking system.

They then made that problem worse by making BG for 4 man teams and making it 3-way, they should of either gone with 2v2/3v3 so you can work with smaller units which makes matchmaking easier or they should have gone the other direction and made 16vs16 or something (limit queuing as a group to 4 players max) and make a format with a longer match which would make handling premades much easier as it dilutes their impact and you can do things like sticking a 4man pre-made on one side vs a three man plus a two man on the other, gives a lot more wriggle room than 4v4v4, and in both cases matching a 2 way is easier than a 3 way.

Edited by Sylosi on September 16, 2018 9:47PM
  • Qwazzy
    Qwazzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    MMR broken. All it does it slow down the queue. It doesn’t do *** to actually match you with equal opponents.

This.
    Smallscale/Solo player on multiple servers

PC North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 33
    AD Nightblade - PvP 17
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 19
    AD Necromancer - PvP 22
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 20
    EP Templar - PvP 21
    EP Nightblade - PvP 20
    DC Sorcerer - PvP 16
    DC Templar - PvP 24
    DC Nightblade - PvP 18
    Xbox North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 32
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 20
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 14
    AD Templar - PvP 41
    AD Templar - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 14
    AD Warden - PvP 29
    AD Nightblade - PvP 27
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 18
    AD Necromancer - PvP 14
    Xbox Europe - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 42
    AD Templar - PvP 36
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 16
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of them mentioned from the start that it was his 1st game ever, and all 3 of them were getting 1 shot constantly so it's obvious they weren't running any impen.

4-10
    0-9
    0-8
    I was 4-3.

This is something that is off-putting about BGs.

Don't get me wrong lowbies and newbies need to be able to play and be introduced to PVP. I hope for as many of them to be introduced to PvP as is possible.

But, for someone like me it is not fun to play against them. Going 20-1 in a game against a bunch of CP 300s is not fun for me at all. I actually get little to no enjoyment out of that. Frankly, it's a bit of a waste of time. And they probably do not enjoy it either.

I'm most interested in fighting players who I consider to be skilled. That means players who I think are as good or better than me. That way, I am getting something out of the experience. Either a challenging fight or something that will test my ability at the game, which can help you get better at the game.

For me as well, sometimes it seems like the MMR is not working properly. I usually can't take more than one of those "noob fest" games before I get bored and do something else.
    Edited by Finviuswe on September 17, 2018 6:58AM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Add to that: I find the same thing with the reason being, many of the BG game modes are PvE friendly - Where, PVP can safely be ignored in favour of PvO (Objectives).

There's shiny prizes for being ranked on the leaderboards which are minimally skill based and are mostly a case of playing more than other people. Even actual PvE leaderboards require a certain amount of skill which makes this so much easier.
    Edited by BNOC on September 17, 2018 2:14PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My case too... I enjoy BGs to some extent, but would rather prefer doing something else. All I want is the Fanged Worm staff page, which does not drop for me (I get all the others). I spent more gold than I would like to remember on pvp sets and weapons, just to have a better chance of getting in the 1st or 2nd place team. I have 200 transmute crystals, and probably 100 more in various geodes. There should be some tokens that allow people to get stuff like motif pages or geodes, it will clear the bgs of pve players that don't care about BG pvp (not a big fan)
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

4-10
    0-9
    0-8
    I was 4-3.

I played for months in cyrodil all light all devines ...

But I think differently than most players ...

I like to weak as *** when I first start so I have to learn to play rather than rely on gear to keep me alive ...

While I'm not great at PvP, I do reasonably well in 5L1H1M no shields and impen on 4 pieces

Maybe he values learning his craft over being carried by gear
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    kills don't determine skill in BG, their assistances where crucial for the kills that were attributed to you and the other fellow
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »
    kills don't determine skill in BG, their assistances where crucial for the kills that were attributed to you and the other fellow

ranged executes will bring you more kills in a BG :neutral:
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »

Dying in one hit doesn't determine skill neither. Kills win games.
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having played nearly 1k BGs on 9 different characters I see no MMR.