The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Launcher Crashes on Update 9/04/2018

• Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so I'm definitely getting the same issue. Tried renaming the logs as old files, and this is what I got when I started the program again:

clngw7h94p65.png

Not sure what I need to be doing. My ISP is Mediacom.

You don't need to do anything. ZoS needs to fix the issue. I think they are trying to smokescreen the issue by blaming ISPs for blocking files so they don't have to deal with the grief of people wanting to be reimbursed for lost dailies.

The problem with that story is files are actually getting through but the launcher crashes/stalls rather quickly after consuming ~1.5-2.0 GB of memory in about 10-15 secs. I was able to get to about 14% download complete by repeatedly reopening the launcher 20-30 times. So it would be possible to complete the download by doing this another ~200 times ....but I'm not doing it ....LOL. This would not be possible if files are being blocked.

Try it yourself and watch with the Windows native TaskMgr program if on that platform. Monitor your network throughput and the ESO launcher process to see for yourself.

The issue seems to be related to specific hardware on our systems like memory, cpu, nic etc.. combined with something they changed on their end.

Edited by Sureshawt on September 10, 2018 7:41PM
  • cbrking
    cbrking

I want to draw attention to this line in the above log.

The launcher is apparently trying to install ESO is using DNS to resolve "live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com" and getting 65.216.231.146, and that is a Verizon website.

65.216.231.146 AS701 UUNET - MCI Communications Services

Why is Verizon redirecting the launcher to a Verizon web server? Is Verizon DNS being used? Maybe it is time to get the real IP address for "live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com" and update hosts to bypass DNS?

(Edit... not a good long term solution, but one resolution for "live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com" is 23.219.38.11)

I agree, the issue seems to be in the Verizon FIOS DNS but it is very odd that the file does download, the size matches that of the actual file but it is still marked as "partial" when the errors begin. Unfortunately, simply removing the ".partial" tag and running the launcher did not correct the issue.

Another interesting observation. I fired up my Verizon Wireless MiFi and the patch worked fine on one of the laptops my wife and I use, I had already manually patched the other. Verizon Wireless is on a different IP range than FIOS and may use a different DNS

You can try to set the DNS to Google or Open DNS. I use a variety of them. My router is set to one, and my PCs are often set to different ones. I use Google and Open DNS, as well as the ISP.

People ask why browsers work, or why one computer works and one does not. There is really no good answer to this, and all of them sound like conspiracy theories. When the ISP injects itself between you and the patch files, they can really do anything they want, no matter what assurances they might give. They can block non-browser access, under the assumption that malware is downloading files. They can be enforcing some sort of bandwidth controls to block large file transfers at prime time. They can be doing some sort of virus scanning to prevent malware from being downloaded. Once they are in the middle, they are in complete control. The field of possibilities, real or imagined, is simply too large.

@lordrichter this^. Add in the fact that Verizon competes with akamai on the cdn front combined with the repeal of neutrality, and it gets me reaching for my tin foil hat.

Then again, it could be something as simple as dns propagation issues, but that stuff gets sorted quickly these days and it's been a week already.
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    todays update 9-10-2018 is doing it again!!!!!!

the launcher is crashing and does not take the update, i get to 19% and boom it closes.

i am not going to reinstall the game from scratch every week, this is nonsense.

verizon fios, everything else downloads and works BUT ESO. what is going on?
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, happening again
  • Xenephane
    Xenephane
    Soul Shriven
    Still having the same issue with the downloads, still choking in the same place. Manual reinstall is still bodging things back together, at least for now. C'mon, ZOS, don't make us cobble fixes for your problems. If your patching path no longer works, find a new one.
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    How are people getting these manual downloads? Where can I find them?
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed that installing Tunnelbear allowed the download to work

*EDIT* Though after installing the patch I would turn Tunnelbear off, it has a "remaining" MB use bar that was going down so I turned it off once the patch was finished
    Edited by Crimsonorion on September 10, 2018 10:25PM
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    why is it every other game i use work fine, but i have to install a 3rd party work around for ESO. ???????????????
    that should not have to happen.

how much money do i have to spend to have premium service? 100 a month? 300 ? do you want too garnish my wages?

I just want to come home and play , not browse pages to find a FIX.

• Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    whats

host name not found in whitelist mean?
  • nimbli
    nimbli
    ✭✭✭
    Just got this error today. Pulling up the patcher using Vypr VPN worked.
  • Maximilian
    Maximilian
    ✭✭✭
    So, the ZoS issue or issues continue. Week 2 - So, while poking around looking for an answer to resolve my situation, I found this - Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe - it runs the game without whatever patch is being pushed. Locate it on your computer (drives and locations may vary from state to state) If you got it to work last week and just want the "party train" to stop, so you can play the game, give it a shot. Although - If you have accomplished at least some of the patch download it may not work. Results may vary - This message was not sent from my iphone.
  • Anarwyn
    Anarwyn
    Soul Shriven
    My husband and I had the same problem again at my house too. Mediacom is my service provider. Just like last week it was two files that only partially downloaded. Thanks to posters from last week we knew to find the files in the host developer log and paste them into the URL. The first one showed up in the depot folder right away and the one in the game folder after about 33% so it ends up being a two step process but otherwise patches really fast. Still a pain to have to do though every week.

• Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    2 years ago thats what i was doing , and all i got was crashes from corrupt files.....not sure if that had anything to do with it, but if there is a patch i would prefer to get the patch so my game is up to date and .....cough cough.....running smoothly.

at this point , after coming back after a LONG period....i decided i am leaving again for the same darn reasons.....spend more time waiting or looking for fixes then playing.. i really dont expect this type of stuff happening to a game that after all this time should have its act together.

my ticket response last week was delete and re install the game
    ticket response this week, delete and re install the game .
    next week....????????? i cant spend 3 hours downloading the same game thats ridiculous .

good luck everyone .
    this customer is out.
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jesus ZOS.

Same problem, different week.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maximilian wrote: »
    So, the ZoS issue or issues continue. Week 2 - So, while poking around looking for an answer to resolve my situation, I found this - Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe - it runs the game without whatever patch is being pushed. Locate it on your computer (drives and locations may vary from state to state) If you got it to work last week and just want the "party train" to stop, so you can play the game, give it a shot. Although - If you have accomplished at least some of the patch download it may not work. Results may vary - This message was not sent from my iphone.

Last I checked, you have to install the patch before using eso64.exe. If you manage to get it to work with the patch partially installed, it might work for you a bit, but I would not expect it to be stable.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • slardifarst
    slardifarst
    Soul Shriven
    Add me to the list of 'victims". I have Verizon FIOS and have been an ESO Plus member since the start. Installer crashed 1st after the 9/4 release. Tried reinstalling everything (including manually deleting old install files) and no luck. Starts to install, gets hung, launch crashes. Customer service is a joke / completely unhelpful. Asked me: "We ask of you to Bug Report as this will notify the Developers about this issue and try to resolve the issue. Because they are busy working on improving the game and our services for our customers, the team may not respond directly to you. Please rest assured, they read each and every bit of report they receive." Seriously? Customer Support is unable to convert/forward my question to a Bug Report? And they might not respond to me directly? I've submitted bug reports to other companies before and they gave me feedback throughout the process ("we got your info", "we were able to recreate your problem", "we fixed the problem and it will be in a future release" and finally "your bug fix was uploaded recently - please update your app and retest and let us know if it fixed your problem")

• Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    I found a fix !

delete everything associated with ESO . all files , all add-ons.

take 5 minutes to get your breathing back to normal. check your pulse for a steady beat.

walk up to a family member ( cat's and dog's are included in this ) look them in the eye , and tell them you love them and give them a long hard hug.

go back to computer...relax,..... and start the google search for a new game .

xox
  • Maximilian
    Maximilian
    ✭✭✭
    Maximilian wrote: »

Last I checked, you have to install the patch before using eso64.exe. If you manage to get it to work with the patch partially installed, it might work for you a bit, but I would not expect it to be stable.

Which is what is meant by - Results may vary - which does not need further detail. Far to many negative vibes
  • devlyn1
    devlyn1
    devlyn1 wrote: »
    I repeat one of my comments then. Why did it work on my desktop and not the laptop if they are both connected to the same router and ISP.? If it was an ISP issue only then wouldn't both my PCs be down? Both are running same windows and same virus protection.

Not saying they are wrong but there has to be more because yes, I was able to remedy it by using a cell phone hot spot to download.

You never provided enough information to draw a conclusion about your situation. Sorry.

I provided plenty, as did many others with 2 systems on the same ISP.

Same ISP
    Same Router,
    1 works 1 don't
    How can that be an ISP issue
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I repeat one of my comments then. Why did it work on my desktop and not the laptop if they are both connected to the same router and ISP.? If it was an ISP issue only then wouldn't both my PCs be down? Both are running same windows and same virus protection.

Not saying they are wrong but there has to be more because yes, I was able to remedy it by using a cell phone hot spot to download.

You never provided enough information to draw a conclusion about your situation. Sorry.

Same ISP
    Same Router,
    1 works 1 don't

I have no idea! You didn't provide enough information to be able to tell.
  • ChirpingBird
    ChirpingBird
    ✭✭
    Getting the issue again.

Ticket #180910-003229 has been submitted.
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same ISP
    Same Router,
    1 works 1 don't

Same computer...

Connect via ethernet cable connected to Verizon FIOS = patcher crashes.

Unplug ethernet and use WiFi to connect via phone's hotspot = game patches.

Seems like the ISP is a part of the problem.
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • devlyn1
    devlyn1

Same ISP
    Same Router,
    1 works 1 don't

I have no idea! You didn't provide enough information to be able to tell.

You make no sense, that's all the info you need to know its not the isp. If a single isp is allowing the files on one computer to work and it is pugged in to the same router as a computer that is not working , with the same OS, then the ISP is not blocking it. Unless somehow our ISPs are discriminating between computer brands? If they want more info they need to ask but they cant diagnose it as an ISP block when it is working on one of the systems
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, after HOURS of frustration I come to the forums and find that there are many people with the exact same problem. I even wiped my computer to factory settings trying to get this fixed.

PC-NA

ISP: Mediacom

Please get this fixed as I am already angry at ZOS because this is obviously a ZOS issue as no other program is having any problems.

EDIT: Because I pay for ESO + I shouldn't have to rent a vpn each month just to connect. But damn it, it's the ONLY way I can!
    Edited by RDMyers65b14_ESO on September 11, 2018 2:34AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, after HOURS of frustration I come to the forums and find that there are many people with the exact same problem. I even wiped my computer to factory settings trying to get this fixed.

PC-NA

ISP: Mediacom

Please get this fixed as I am already angry at ZOS because this is obviously a ZOS issue as no other program is having any problems.

Out of curiosity, what do you have your DNS set to?

Edit: oh, wait. MediaCom. The one log I saw showed an error in the Chromium DLL file.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 11, 2018 2:07AM
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    So it's patch day #2 (9/10/2018), I'm suspecting I'll have issues again as others have reported so I this time I fire up Wireshark and capture me some packets.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

I've come to discover that there are some intermittent connectivity issues with the akamai site. But really not that bad.
    ppzgdtv7bbgd.png

Here is the corresponding host Dev Log
    rdppmafipu4s.png

Then it (the launcher) tries to failover to the secondary site which initially works but then fails in the launcher. I launched that URL in the browser and ran a trace. Also note that that initially the alternate download site starts with IP 151.205.0.23 and goes to IP 23.204.80.40 (both alkamai). When we get handed to this secondary site we begin to see large TCP Frames and many lost packets in the logs.

I'll note that initially Wireshark crashed every time I tried to capture the download from the 0.23/80.40 (last octets) when capturing so I had to go command line and capture to a file to review. This got me thinking that since the Host Dev Log is capturing all of this data, it's probably freezing up the launcher the same way. When running these packet traces we are seeing the packet trace shoot to 70,000 items in the few seconds it took my connection to download the file manually (many of them errors)

Here are the packets:
    a60ja3i78lkl.png

Here are the errors:
    tjjb8pv5qnkf.png

So in conclusion, they are using Akamai in 23.204.80.40 and the other URLs, but when the packet issues start occuring, I believe the launcher crashes due to it's constant logging, however the URL does seem to still work via browser.

My speculation is that yes, something is affecting reliable delivery, and my guess is the launcher freezes up when it starts getting flooded with error messages, the same way that occurred using wireshark GUI.

My theoretical solution is that ZOS could find a way to more efficiently log and it would possibly prevent this - that explains why a browser can download the file and the launcher can't. The browser is not logging every return error like the launcher, where we see almost every packet level error in the Host Developer logs.
    Edited by cbrking on September 11, 2018 2:12AM
  • jwwputnam_ESO
    Having the issue again, as all the others are reporting. I was able to resolve the issue last week after launching and killing the launcher until 15% download was reached at which time the REPAIR option appeared. Repair did fix the issue, so far my best suggestion to ESO is to provide a way to run the REPAIR option directly from the launcher and not have to wait for the game to detect the error and then allow the repair option.

Have Verizon FIOS and information follows with previous support ticket.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting posting. My immediate reply is just to say that both are NOT Akamai.
    cbrking wrote: »
    Then it (the launcher) tries to failover to the secondary site which initially works but then fails in the launcher. I launched that URL in the browser and ran a trace. Also note that that initially the alternate download site starts with IP 151.205.0.23 and goes to IP 23.204.80.40 (both alkamai). When we get handed to this secondary site we begin to see large TCP Frames and many lost packets in the logs.

151.205.0.23 is UUNET - MCI Communications Services (aka Verizon)

This is the same thing that I saw in others, and unless ZOS has some reason to be downloading files from Verizon, I can't see a good reason for it.

What's new here (for me) is a log showing errors on the Akamai download.
  • beyvargasjr
    9/10/2018

Maui Hawaii (Pre-Hurricane)

Once again, the updates stall the ESO launcher.

Once again running Betternet Free VPN saves the day!
  • BelladonnaMagique
    Can someone post the links to download the depot & game_player files this time around? I was able to download the depot file from the host log url but when I try it for the game_player file it just gives me a page with a bunch of code...no download.
This discussion has been closed.