The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Animation cancelling and you! (Thread 99999)

• GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are there animations if they can be cancelled? This is ridiculous and very easy to exploit and I'm going to tell you how.

You don't need a super macro for it or anything, you cancel animation by blocking, pressing your right mouse button or swapping weapons. But why go to all that trouble when you can do it in a very simple way?

I keep wondering how some people can get 5+attacks in under 1 second which is too much if you ask me and I think I got it figured out.

The way this works (I think) is that people that abuse the system are using a simple macro like this :

Skill 1 "Javelin" , macro key 1 to do : 1+right click
    Skill 2 "Vampire Bane" , macro key 2 to do : 2+right click
    etc

If you press right click, just tap it, you will notice that the block animation is very short compared to the skill animation itself so basically all they do is smash 3 buttons and perform 6 actions in the time it takes to perform just 1.

How will ZOS ever fix this? They won't because there are too many leet players and streamers (God's of ZOS) that do the same thing. They way to go here would be that during casting, like channeled casting, if you block before the animation is done the skill is cancelled. Or they could easy make it so that while casting you can't block or swap weapons.

That's how I see a fair playing field, of course this concerns PvP.

I'm not saying this because somebody killed me and I'm angry, I do very well in BG's, 90% of the time I'm nr 1 or 2 in my team. I'm saying it because I know people who quit because of this, they like the pvp idea and how it flows but when it comes to ESO pvp it's something else. You don't need in game skill that much as long as you can macro or mash the keyboard like a pro.

I see a lot of new level 50 players that can't hold a torch against the animation cancelling guys. I myself often die to them, that's why instead of having a melee build that's going in for the kill I prefer a ranged build with sustain and defense that does mediocre damage.

I know this will get brushed to the side but there's my two cents about it.

You have no idea what you are talking about, stop it, gitgud.
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    animation cancel is fake. The only thing that actually cancels are light attacks, and that is light attack weaving and is part of a skillful rotation. Even if you cancel the animation of abilities or not, you will attack exactly in the same way. If i cast javelin and while it shoots i cast vampire bane, those will hit in the exact same time like i would block between them. The only win you can get here is casting a light attack between them, which as i said above is weaving and is perfectly acceptable and recommended.

Well you can also cancel the animations of abilities by blocking, bashing, weapon swapping, or rolling.

the point was that the only thing that is actually canceled, not just visually. Only light attacks are actually canceled with the effect being kept, the abilities get only their visual effect canceled, but not any benefit from it, unlike the light attacks which benefits you for skipping the animation time and still firing the hit
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    animation cancel is fake. The only thing that actually cancels are light attacks, and that is light attack weaving and is part of a skillful rotation. Even if you cancel the animation of abilities or not, you will attack exactly in the same way. If i cast javelin and while it shoots i cast vampire bane, those will hit in the exact same time like i would block between them. The only win you can get here is casting a light attack between them, which as i said above is weaving and is perfectly acceptable and recommended.

Well you can also cancel the animations of abilities by blocking, bashing, weapon swapping, or rolling.

the point was that the only thing that is actually canceled, not just visually. Only light attacks are actually canceled with the effect being kept, the abilities get only their visual effect canceled, but not any benefit from it, unlike the light attacks which benefits you for skipping the animation time and still firing the hit
    I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you saying that cancelling light attacks is different from cancelling abilities? If so, that's not the case. You can completely cancel the animations of both a light attack and an ability and still get the damage from both. Example: light attack, surprise attack, weapon swap. Both do damage, but you didn't see the animation for either the LA or the SA.
  • ResTandRespeC
    ResTandRespeC
    ✭✭✭✭
    What your describing is called a desync. in 99% of cases it is unintentional and is mostly cause by channeled skills and light/heavy attacks. It is a glitch and has nothing to do with animation canceling. All skills have a 1 sec global cooldown that can not be bypassed. Please stop spreading misinformation, it is starting to get rampant. If we could all start asking for the right thinks to be fixed, IE the skill/health bar desyncs, then we could maybe make some headway with zos. But instead were fighting ourselves with misinformation.
    Why are there animations if they can be cancelled? This is ridiculous and very easy to exploit and I'm going to tell you how.

You don't need a super macro for it or anything, you cancel animation by blocking, pressing your right mouse button or swapping weapons. But why go to all that trouble when you can do it in a very simple way?

I keep wondering how some people can get 5+attacks in under 1 second which is too much if you ask me and I think I got it figured out.

The way this works (I think) is that people that abuse the system are using a simple macro like this :

etc

If you press right click, just tap it, you will notice that the block animation is very short compared to the skill animation itself so basically all they do is smash 3 buttons and perform 6 actions in the time it takes to perform just 1.

How will ZOS ever fix this? They won't because there are too many leet players and streamers (God's of ZOS) that do the same thing. They way to go here would be that during casting, like channeled casting, if you block before the animation is done the skill is cancelled. Or they could easy make it so that while casting you can't block or swap weapons.

I'm not saying this because somebody killed me and I'm angry, I do very well in BG's, 90% of the time I'm nr 1 or 2 in my team. I'm saying it because I know people who quit because of this, they like the pvp idea and how it flows but when it comes to ESO pvp it's something else. You don't need in game skill that much as long as you can macro or mash the keyboard like a pro.

I see a lot of new level 50 players that can't hold a torch against the animation cancelling guys. I myself often die to them, that's why instead of having a melee build that's going in for the kill I prefer a ranged build with sustain and defense that does mediocre damage.

• ResTandRespeC
    ResTandRespeC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »
    not everything is on the 1 second cool-down.

Light/heavy attack isn't and ultimate isn't.

so any programmable device that lets you add a light attack and ultimate (when up, some classes have very cheap ultimates)to the firing sequence gives you a technological advantage. Aka "Burst"

the only real weakness of this game as all you need is a little lag and your hit 5+ times in a second and whether you agree or not the players "perception" is that there is something unfair going on.

so if your getting the wall of abilities its fair to believe the other guy has something you don't have. Not that you cant do the same thing, its just less efficient manually.

not so much cheating as a bad , poisonous design consider the overwhelming complaint about this game is bad dps.

they should just level the playing field and add basic macros to the base game to at least allow a light attack to be bound to ability buttons.

Everything is actually on a 1 sec GCD, just not the same GCD. I'm unsure if ultimates are on their own GCD or if they are tied into the same one as other skills, but Light/heavies, skills, and bash all have their own cooldowns.

That being said, although I would personally find it boring, I'd have no problem with them making LA's like an auto attack. So they just fire off in between skills and do the weaving for you. Hell it might help with my LA's not going off during high latency :wink:
  • werzui
    werzui
    ✭✭
    gitgud, L2p, whatever; animcancel isn't that hard even for consoles + it feels rewarding to be good at it B)
    ! . . .
    I once dreamed to be a powerful Cryomancer, then i woke up and a bear was licking my face ...
    "WTB Cryomancy, a Spellsword, intelligent Pets maybe?!"
    . . . ?

*About me:
    PC/EU Deutsch/German
    CP 830+
    Crafter master;
    Magblade main;
    Cryomancer wannabe;
    Spellsword wip;
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we already reached the point where forum mods can just close threads like that the moment someone creates them.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine not being able to block/rolldodge/bar swap while casting a skill
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    I think we already reached the point where forum mods can just close threads like that the moment someone creates them.

Yes please. Save us all the trouble of reiterating the same points over and over and over and over...
  • bitels
    bitels
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animation canceling is a thing, and wont be changed because ZOS never balanced animation lenght, getting rid of AC would mean they would have to go back and revamp most of them. Especially warden with its beautiful and lenghty skill visual effects.
    Edited by bitels on August 14, 2018 10:50AM
  • TheDarkoil
    TheDarkoil
    ✭✭✭
    Personally animation canceling is good for skele parses but with the lag in cyrodiil it's too unreliable so I don't even care about it. Plus to anyone who thinks their friend can come out of sneak do 5 attacks and go back into sneak within 1 second well I think you need to go back to primary school and learn what 1 second is.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Everything is actually on a 1 sec GCD, just not the same GCD. I'm unsure if ultimates are on their own GCD or if they are tied into the same one as other skills, but Light/heavies, skills, and bash all have their own cooldowns.

That being said, although I would personally find it boring, I'd have no problem with them making LA's like an auto attack. So they just fire off in between skills and do the weaving for you. Hell it might help with my LA's not going off during high latency :wink: [/quote]

you might not have as much latency. Those requests count after all for you and everyone else.
    Edited by Rungar on August 14, 2018 10:54AM
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's how the flowchart goes:
    • Does the player know what they're doing?
    No.
    • Does the player know what they're talking about?
    No.
    • Does the player know how to use the forum search function?
    No.
    • Create new thread to farm forum stars.
    • Look into "Game is dying" as alternative or follow up thread option.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you saying that cancelling light attacks is different from cancelling abilities? If so, that's not the case. You can completely cancel the animations of both a light attack and an ability and still get the damage from both. Example: light attack, surprise attack, weapon swap. Both do damage, but you didn't see the animation for either the LA or the SA.

even if you cancel an ability animation or not, you will only cast 2 abilities in two seconds. If you cancel the animation of a light attack, in those two seconds u`ll do more damage because the light attack still hit even if canceled. The ability hits if canceled, but it doesn't provide any benefit, it's only visually, which in the light attack case, it provides benefit, it doesn't cancel the animation only visually, the light attack timer also overlaps with abilities timer
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    even if you cancel an ability animation or not, you will only cast 2 abilities in two seconds.

again its not 1s gcd, please stop posting misinfo

also I can get 1LA, 1skill and 1ult in an amazingly quick amount of time, we are splitting hairs over "skill" "ultimate" "light attack", they are all damage causing abilities.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even if you cancel an ability animation or not, you will only cast 2 abilities in two seconds.

again its not 1s gcd, please stop posting misinfo

also I can get 1LA, 1skill and 1ult in an amazingly quick amount of time, we are splitting hairs over "skill" "ultimate" "light attack", they are all damage causing abilities.

Post video that proves that you can bypass gcd by cancelling animation.
    And no, that 2014 vid doesnt count, they changed animation prioritization since then.
    "Amazingly fast" is subjective, btw.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    @LadyNalcarya post your own vids, I have better things to do than prove you wrong on something I am 100% sure of.

BTW I didnt say I could bypass gcd, I just said its not 1s
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

even if you cancel an ability animation or not, you will only cast 2 abilities in two seconds. If you cancel the animation of a light attack, in those two seconds u`ll do more damage because the light attack still hit even if canceled. The ability hits if canceled, but it doesn't provide any benefit, it's only visually, which in the light attack case, it provides benefit, it doesn't cancel the animation only visually, the light attack timer also overlaps with abilities timer

Okay, I think I see what you're saying: that there's no benefit to cancelling abilities? That is the point I disagree with. I would lose tons of time over the course of a boss fight if I didn't cancel my last ability on each bar with a barswap. It would be a massive DPS loss if I waited for the ability animation to finish instead of cancelling it-- this is part of a proper "weave."

Also any PVPer that still bash cancels executes or 1h/shield builds that weave bashes for damage know that cancelling abilities can have a great deal of benefit.
    Edited by kadar on August 14, 2018 5:58PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LadyNalcarya post your own vids, I have better things to do than prove you wrong on something I am 100% sure of.

BTW I didnt say I could bypass gcd, I just said its not 1s

Yo can we be real for a sec? You won't ever post a vid or anything measurable, because you can't. The GCD is ~0.9 seconds edit: I'm dumb, I've seen cmx parses for people weaving 0.98 per second. GCD has to be 1.0.
    Edited by kadar on August 14, 2018 6:21PM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, I think I see what you're saying: that there's no benefit to cancelling abilities? That is the point I disagree with. I would lose tons of time over the course of a boss fight if I didn't cancel my last ability on each bar with a barswap. It would be a massive DPS loss if I waited for the ability animation to finish instead of cancelling it-- this is part of a proper "weave."

Also any PVPer that still bash cancels executes or 1h/shield builds that weave bashes for damage know that cancelling abilities can have a great deal of benefit.

with cancel or not, two abilities will fire in 2 seconds. Cast hail of arrows then cast caltrops then cast again hail of arrows or whatever you want. Even if you do cancel the animation of the ability or not, if you press one ability per second you will fire one ability per second
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valve wrote: »
    Is this actually a serious post?
    This can't be right?

ESO has a 1 second global cooldown between skill casts.
    After you use a skill, you can't use another skill no matter if you block cancelled the animation until another second has passed.

It's actually very serious, with that 1 second cool down you are talking about, it should take 5-6 seconds to kill someone decent in PvP, enough time to swap bars and heal or go into mist form, fight back, etc. But it happens in BG's all the time, damage from the same player (mostly nb). One second you're full life going to the fight and then 5+ skills on you out of nowhere and you're dead. There are instances where I fight 4 players when I'm alone and I have enough time to purge + mistform and get out of there in time, other times dead in one second.

If you took the time to read through this thread you created, or google for other threads on the subject, you would find the explanations you are missing which are lag and other aspects.

The person is both serious and correct about the 1 second CD required for skills to fire.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll keep saying it until someone listens. You should be able to cancel animation, but cancelling the animation should cancel the action. There is no reason for the ability to still fire off if the animation didn't finish, that's just bad design.

With that, it won't be a dps gain to cancel anymore, but the option still exists. Anyone who fights this is just trying to maintain a competitive edge because their reflexes are fast enough to take advantage of a system that was never designed with minmaxing dps in mind.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll keep saying it until someone listens. You should be able to cancel animation, but cancelling the animation should cancel the action. There is no reason for the ability to still fire off if the animation didn't finish, that's just bad design.

Again:

The damage is added AS SOON AS YOU PUSH THE BUTTON. Not when the animation "finishes". Except for some cast time skills, which DON´T get the damage if aborted.

EDIT: That is the TECHNICAL reason. The GAMEPLAY reason is that if you didn´t get the damage when ani cancelling combat would be either pointlessly clunky and without any skill (yes, it takes at least some skill to ani cancel), or a pure spamfest.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on August 15, 2018 1:44PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You DO see animations; only partial animations, true, but it’s not like your character or another person’s character is just standing there doing absolutely nothing while the damage ticks away. You also still see all of the status effects, buff/debuff icons, and various other visual “tells” associated with skills (i.e. when I weapon swap cancel the recovery animation of Volatile Familiar, I still see the pulses from the familiar — I just don’t just see the last few milliseconds of the recovery animation when the skill is initially cast).

If you can’t tell that someone has cast, for instance, burning embers on you because they weapon-swap cancelled the recovery animation, animation cancelling is not the problem.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: never mind. I’m done with these threads.
    Edited by Aurielle on August 15, 2018 1:51PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Edit: never mind. I’m done with these threads.

Join the club. There is a lot of us here.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »

Again:

The damage is added AS SOON AS YOU PUSH THE BUTTON. Not when the animation "finishes". Except for some cast time skills, which DON´T get the damage if aborted.

EDIT: That is the TECHNICAL reason. The GAMEPLAY reason is that if you didn´t get the damage when ani cancelling combat would be either pointlessly clunky and without any skill (yes, it takes at least some skill to ani cancel), or a pure spamfest.

If you made that "skill" argument in any forum of any game that isn't a 2D fighter or ESO, you'd get laughed out the digital door. It's only in this game that we somehow praise the autism that is animation cancelling to minmax dps as "skill". I'm not arguing that it's not harder to do than normal combat, but it takes combat in such a dumb, nonsensical direction.

Why not have us play like pinball or something while dpsing? Our damage scales partially to our pinball score. See, the two aren't really related, but doing them both at once makes combat harder, so it's skill right? Right? (sarcasm)

Adding difficulty for the sake of difficulty isn't good game design. Period.
  • CrazYDunm3r
    CrazYDunm3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make ESO so that only clicking will activate abilities and mouse can only move 1DPI. This way people will have enough time to think about a counter move because you need to wait 5 minutes to activate another ability. It will be more like playing a board game, I think this is a good idea :trollface:
    YouTube
    Triggered Tryhards
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

etc

Yea I'm really surprised that new lvl 50s can't beat people who have clearly invested some time and research into how to be good at the game. Facepalm. In other news, I'm shocked that you often die to players using a powerful game mechanic that you don't even understand and choose not to use.

And you don't understand it. You admit to it when you say you "think" it works a certain way. I'm pretty sure you're trying to say that people macro skil1l>block>skill2>block>skill3>block and that somehow this allows them to get in three skills in the time an "ordinary" non-canceling player would cast one skill. This is objectively untrue. Your hypothetical macro will cast three skills no faster than I could cast the same three skills "skill>skill>skill" without the block cancel. All your block cancel does is bypass the tail end of an animation to no benefit (you are actually going to shortly knock out your stamina regen).

For the most part, there are only TWO commonly used cancels. The first is light attack weaving. This is when you cancel the light attack animation with a skill. It looks quite fluid with staves if a bit wonky with melee weapons (not that it matters to any great degree that you can't see a melee light attack). It is powerful, but not an exploit and not broken in any way. Anybody can do it and the game builds around it at this point (see level up advisor, sets that proc on light attacks, NB class). The second common cancel is bar swap canceling, where you bypass the tail end of an animation to get to your other bar faster and resume attacking. There is also bash canceling, which is pretty rare as an intentional cancel (nonexistent on ranged builds) and stamina intensive. You can roll dodge cancel skills, but this isn't going to much help you burst someone down, though it is very useful for getting in damage right before a roll dodge.

Contrary to popular belief, good canceling is NOT "button mashing." You learn the timing on weaving and canceling and do it methodically and carefully (albeit quickly).

I don't believe for a second you don't animation cancel. You might intentionally gimp yourself by not weaving, but you surely do not eat snipes and cfrags that you could roll dodge just because you are currently in the animation of a skill.

In conclusion, nobody uses blocking (or anything else, but definitely not blocking) to cast more skills than the GCD allows.

HOWEVER, it is quite easy for you to get hit by many attacks at the same time without anyone ever bypassing the GCD of the game. Many attacks do delayed damage from time of cast and things like enchants/status/sets/passives(implosion) can do damage simultaneously with NO cast involved. It is up to you to learn common combos and prepare for them or prevent them in advance.

Also, lag.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • JiKama
    JiKama
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even with me being decent with animation cancelling I still cut through people like a hot knife through butter. I would put the blame on the sets they're wearing and not keeping shields/buffs up. On my tanky Stamblade I get screwed by rune prison, the Dk ability that stuns you, and resource drain poisons. I tend to find everything fair game :) Also... The same things that screw over my NB also does the same to my Magsorc.... So yeah :p